12387 Cedar Ave
Cleveland Heights, OH 44106Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nighttowncleveland.com/
- Phone: (216) 795-0550
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 4:00pm, Sunday: 10:00am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 12:00am, Friday & Saturday: 3:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Chris Stephens
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Entertainment: All music reservations must be made by phone. No open table reservations can be made for music events online
A word from Nighttown
Named after the Dublin Red-Light District in James Joyce's Ulysses, Nighttown possesses the ambiance of Irish pubs and turn of the century New York bars. Leaded, etched, and stained glass, combined with a clutter of memorabilia from earlier eras decorate the four distinctly different dining rooms and three active bars. Be sure to see Stephen's Green, our outdoor dining area (fully-heated for year-round use) with a wall-size waterfall. Since opening day, February 5, 1965, the menu has been a model of consistency. Top quality Certified Angus Beef, milk -fed veal, and the freshest of fish and chicken are prepared with creative simplicity. Try our house specialty, The Dublin Lawyer. And Nighttown has the best jazz available - in fact, we're the only club in Ohio on Down Beat's list of The Best Jazz Clubs in the World.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
Nighttown - Best Restaurants in Cleveland Heights ›
Nighttown reviews from OpenTable diners
73 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (57)great for outdoor dining (35)good for groups (33)late-night find (29)fit for foodies (27)special occasion (24)hot spot (18)great for lunch (17)romantic (15)great for brunch (14)vibrant bar scene (14)kid-friendly (9)notable wine list (5)scenic view (2)Show More
- Good food, long waitCatrimcDined on 11/21/2014The food was excellent. To be fair, in our section the waiter had several large group tables on which to wait. Our two person table sorta got lost in the shuffle. ;-(Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Noisy and slow.AirManDined on 11/14/2014The food was very good (we had the Dublin Lawyer that I think is the best thing on their menu), but the place was so noisy we could not hear each other across a small table for two. Our reservation was at 6:15 p.m. so we could make an 8 p.m. concert, and we barely made it because the service was slow. It wasn't our server's fault, since he had too many tables to serve. The place was understaffed for a Friday night.
- Nighttown always pleasesluv2dineVIPDined on 11/14/2014We have very good service even though the restaurant was very full. Our dinners were very good. We have been to Nighttown several times and will return again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Cleveland Heights staple!RebK1VIPDined on 11/9/2014Nighttown has been around forever, at least as far as I can remember. It was known as an Irish inspired steak house, serving up live jazz on special evenings. Nighttown has grown in both size and venue; the menu is now quite diverse and interesting. This visit I was craving the prime rib. It was prepared to a perfect temperature and was as delicious as I had hoped. My mother had the Dublin Lawyer (lobster in a cayene butter sauce), which was very very good, the lobster sweet and tender. I look forward to going back and trying some of the new menu items! The service also was very good; attentive, efficient and friendly.Special Features:
- Dinner before the SymphonymovieloverDined on 11/8/2014This old standby just keeps crankig along with reliable food ans service. The roast beef is wonderful, but we were very sorry to see that it has been taken off the early bird specials list. That was the big draw to come here before University Circle events.
- EllieDined on 11/8/2014Nighttown is one of our long-time favorite restaurants. We love the patio when the weather is good. And, the trout amandine is my favorite. Bangers and mash for my husband!Special Features:
- Fish 'N Chips?OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/7/2014I love the ambiance and the old rustic photos and posters. The Guinness is good and the food was excellent; however, on a Friday night, in a pub with an Irish influence, surely there should be fish and chips on the dinner menu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre theater dinnerfunfoodieVIPDined on 11/4/2014We were seated promptly and told the server that we had to be at the theater for a 7:30 show. Our table was very large for 5 people but also the only one in the room with a tablecloth. Our server was lovely and was aware of our time constraint. I had the trout which I thought was bland and tasteless and smothered in almonds. It came with very underdone green beans and a baked potato. My husband had the salmon which he ended up sharing with me which was much tastier than the trout. My son ordered the hamburger which he said was very overseasoned. Our other diners had the flat iron steak which he enjoyed and the trout which was also enjoyed so it could have been a matter of personal taste. We received our check in time to leave.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- John&Janicegoodtimeseekers2Dined on 11/2/2014We always enjoy great live entertainment. The service was top notch and the food was wonderful.It's a place where you can go in casual attire,relax and just enjoy everything they have to offer.The staff is very attentive and really strive to make your visit perfect.They make you wanting to come back and get pampered again soon.We are planning to do that in the near future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!joxer86VIPDined on 11/1/2014From the moment I was greeted by the attractive and very funny Italian looking hostess to the great service from Linda and the warm table visit by the gregarious owner Brendan Ring everything was perfect. We had the house specialty Dublin Lawyer and the Kurobota Pork Shank for enrees and the Charcuterie and Calamari (Best Ever!). There are not places of this integrity around much anymore. The Owner told me they will be celebrating their 50th anniversary on Feb 5th 2015.. I can see why! You don't get to be around that long in the restaurant game without a lot of work and dedication...We will be back often!Special Features:
- Dark interiors but decent pub foodPickyGourmetVIPDined on 10/26/2014We had Sunday brunch one sunny morning and aside from the fact that it felt we were eating in a cave, it was fine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love to eateatwelleatoftenDined on 10/20/2014I have been going to Night Town for over 40 years. While it has changed over the years the food has remained good and they often have wonderful entertainment. The restaurant now has many rooms, so while it can seat a lot of people, the noise level is also a bit loud. They also have a full bar service and a patio. I recommend Night Town for both lunch and dinner.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!lobeVIPDined on 10/18/2014We've been going to NightTown for nearly 45 years, since we were students at CWRU. It's a lot bigger now, but the food, vibe and service is still top-notch. Very accommodating for large groups (our hold an alumni party here every five years). Open late, huge choice menu, cool music in the background, a great bar and rather low prices ... we'll be coming back, and back, and back every time we find ourselves in Cleveland.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dinerVIPDined on 10/18/2014As always, we had a great meal. Many different rooms with different atmospheres gives the feel of different restaurants.Special Features:
- Great place before the theaterGreeniesDined on 10/15/2014Night town has a good early bird special menu It is a perfect spot to eat before the theater or orchestra concert. In nice weather the patios are greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DlovercoolDined on 10/11/2014This was definately an experience to remember. Although the food left me with much to desire the show was fantastic. The club needs to update because this is a good club and we'll worth itSpecial Features:
- Enjoy Nighttownluv2dineVIPDined on 10/11/2014We each had a very delicious prime rib, done just right. We had a very nice waitress. She brought my full to the top martini to the table and yes she did spill some but I spilled even more than she did trying to get it to my lips - excellent. Overall we had a really nice experience just as we always have when we visit Nighttown. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Jazz in townMelleuVIPDined on 10/8/2014This is the best jazz restaurant in Cleveland. They also have great food. They have numerous different spaces within the restaurant that have different ambiances. I just love the place.Special Features:
- Would have been nice...netts19Dined on 9/27/2014to have known upon reservation, that there was a private party in the large dining room. My husband and I made this reservation for our anniversary. Upon arrival we learned that the large dining room was reserved for a private party. We were initially seated in the booth area off to the side but this felt casual, not special and the booths were extremely low to the floor and not comfortable. We asked to sit in the small dining room up front, which was fine. We sat alone in this room where is on the street and very bright. While we still completely enjoyed our food, had great service, we still felt it would have been nice to have known that the main dining room was not an option for our special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bonzai216VIPDined on 9/18/2014A staple in the local community, Nighttown is always a winner for a good meal, good service and atmosphere whether you're on your way to theatre, a concert or there for a show of its own. We had a very good meal and experience, per usual. However, I did receive an email immediately following our meal indicating my reservation had been canceled (hence no Open Table points). I immediately called the restaurant and voiced my concern. The person who answered the phone said he would let the manager know, but I could tell he was rushed and couldn't have cared less. I spoke with a manager the following day who, I think, contacted Open Table to correct the situation. While I never received a confirmation, I think correct points were added.Special Features:
- DisappointingEatUpDined on 9/17/2014So surprised to be giving Nighttown a poor review. Have visited numerous times before and always had a great meal. This time nothing was good. The smell of bleach from the bar area was almost overpowering, so that set the tone for the evening. I ordered a meal that I have had in the past, but this time the meat was a little tougher, and the greens seemed over-dressed. There were 2 dessert specials that evening and they were out of the most appealing (by 7:30 PM on a weeknight), and the chocolate bread pudding was a gelatinous blob with no redeeming features. I will certainly visit again, hopefully this was a one time lapse.Special Features:
- Night Town is the Right TownbfireDined on 9/13/2014Great food, charming interior - you'll feel like you've left Cleveland and entered a New York jazz club, minus the pretension. Delicious food. For a Fri-Sat evening meal, I recommend reserving a table for no later than 4:45. After 5:15 on a weekend, this place is hopping, even before any musical acts begin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Family treatLuvthisplaceDined on 9/7/2014I was treated to Sunday dinner by family members in appreciation for something I had done. This was an enjoyable evening with very good food, drinks, and conversation. A friend had recommended the GRILL & GREENS plate and it did not disappoint. Others at the table had MUSSELS, the MASH dish (potatoes & sausage), and other selections. Everything was enjoyed by all. While looking to schedule this Sunday evening dinner, Nighttown was one of only a few restaurants in our area that had Sunday evening hours. I rate this evening dinner VERY GOOD!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencebonappDined on 9/6/2014Dinner before 5jBarrow band: both marvelous! Loved the setup of tables/ Reminded me of castle experience in Ireland. The only drawback was the noise level when trying to talk to friends at table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Authentic FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014Nighttown offers some great classic options including bangers and mash, which I enjoyed during my previous visit. I found the food prepared and presented well, and the portions were sizable. My group also order the calamari appetizer and I found the honey wasabi sauce a delicous addition.Special Features:
- JgNgVIPDined on 9/3/2014Been a Nighttown fan almost for 30+ years. Have enjoyed it every time. A very comfortable place to dine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/23/2014My wife and I visited Nighttown on 8/23/14. Upon arrival, we were seated right away in the dining area just past the bar. At first, our waitress forgot to bring a wine list, but once we asked she quickly brought one out. A friend suggested I get the clam chowder to start, so I did. I was not disappointed, it was excellent. My wife even liked it, and she's not a big fan of chowder. We ordered the caprese chicken and smoked salmon burger, and both were delicious. I can say the burger paired well with an Ironside Pale Ale from Portside Distillery. For dessert we shared an apple tart a la mode, again excellent. We would definitely return to Nighttown and I've already encouraged others to visit as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Real Irish Pub with great FoodmmcdVIPDined on 8/16/2014This is a true pub. Informal atmosphere and straightforward menu with very good food and excellent value for the money. Clearly run by people who know what is important and get it right.Special Features:
- Dinner for 4live2eatDined on 8/16/2014Food and ambiance was as expected, very good. Our waitress was very good but they appeared to be understaffed that night and she was run ragged. We would go back but it took a little off the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as alwayslovefoodDined on 8/15/2014I love Nighttown. My favorite is the Dublin Lawyer and it was wonderful. The food here is always very good and the service was great.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/10/2014Always a great place to take out of town guests to show them a great jazz venue and of course the fine good. So very dependable!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/10/2014Always busy for Sunday brunch, with good reason. Terrific array of choices on the menu for all diets and tastes. The egg white omelet with spinach was fresh and fluffy. The bangers and eggs were outstanding. Scrambled eggs should not be a tough order, but Nighttown gets them just right every time. Service was especially prompt this day, especially considering the busyness of the wait staff handling a large wedding shower, also on the patio. Whenever possible, request Stephen's Green patio dining. It is delightful way to spend a relaxing mid-day on a Sunday.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BRIT FARE WITH A FLARE!FOODIE4MeVIPDined on 8/8/2014Love the standard fare but this place always carries a few surprises (changes in the menu items) that everything is wonderful here. Love the creamy rish Dublin Lobster, Monday Ribs (to die for), onion soup like no other, great salads, the list goes on! Great place for lunch too. Variety of dining areas - try them all. . . .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lmglgchardonDined on 8/8/2014The patio is a wonderful oasis - complete with a lovely water feature. Food and service - outstanding!Special Features:
- Glorified bar foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014Do not be fooled by the fancy names used to describe their food. It was expensive and awful. The calamari was the size of a penny and were overcooked and under flavored. The prime rib was boring and flavorless. The lobster roll tasted like old fish and canned. The salads were small and cost $6. The steak was the best thing on the table but unfortunately, there were so many things wrong with each and every part of this meal, that the steak could not balance the negative view of the experience. If you plan on spending $20 for food, I suggest you go to a real restaurant were the person cooking knows what is going on. UNDERWHELMED. LACKLUSTER. DISAPPOINTING...Special Features:
- The following 109 reviews are from the Nighttown reviews archive.
- No Hunger PangsDineDelightDined on 7/25/2014I have been going to Nighttown off and on for 35 years. In all the years I have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Service was slowLocalfooddinerDined on 7/21/2014Our group of 10 gathered and did get drink orders in a timely manner. However, it took 30 minutes after we were served drinks to place our food order( we were ready in 10). I asked another staff member if she could get the waiter at about 25 minutes, then after no appearance, had to get up and find the waiter to ask him to take our orders. After we got our orders our service was pretty good, regular drink filling and clearing. Seems like there was not enough staff on the patio or he just forgot to get our dinner order.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nighttown - Great at 50!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/19/2014Very enjoyable long-established Cleveland spot. Imaginative menu and great bar. Large club room with entertainment (ticketed events). Campy interiors and also a covered patio.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NighttownPalfdaddyDined on 7/19/2014Our food was delicious. The bar area is a bit outdated and it feels a little claustrophobic inside. We sat out on the patio which was nice. Waitresses attended to our needs and I didn't have to flag anyone down for more drinks or food. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NighttownOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/18/2014It was a nice evening, but very busy. We waited 20 mins to get seated, and our server only came back to check on us once. We had tickets for the show, but it was tight and cramped. I was more bothered by the so-so service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.