429 Temple Avenue
Highland Park, IL 60035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nietosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8474320770
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Monday: 5:00pm - Close. Closed Tuesdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nabor Vazquez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Carlos offers 3 private dining rooms seating from 12 to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Toni Gramm 8474320770
A word from Nieto's
A Re-Concepted Restaurant in the Fabled Carlos’ Space by Carlos and Debbie Nieto. Nieto's is decoratively updated although the gracious wood paneled walls remain. The dining room still has an imtimate feel to it, with a more "club" like atmosphere. The menu is extensive but familiar with modern day tweeks. Comfortable for family gatherings and dates alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Nieto's - Best Restaurants in Highland Park ›
Nieto's reviews from OpenTable diners
72 reviews since May 5, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (40)fit for foodies (29)special occasion (23)notable wine list (17)romantic (12)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (9)hot spot (7)vibrant bar scene (4)late-night find (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)scenic view (1)Show More
- Very Good ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/30/2014Had been to Carlos's several times but never to Nieto's. Wish we had gone earlier. Food was very good, service great, wine list extensive and very reasonably priced. The "new" interior is more inviting than Carlos, which I thought was stuffy and too quiet - almost museum like. The new restaurant is too loud but a definite improvement. The bar was hopping. You can pay these prices in plenty of places in the area and get much less for your money.Special Features:
- Neighborhood classGarlicVIPDined on 8/29/2014Still the best casual restaurant in the area with a wide choice of items that changes frequently. Wine list is strong, and the service is like eating at friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceAllieDined on 8/17/2014We had dinner with out friend's at Nieto's on Sunday night and had a great time. Our server was very attentive and friendly, the food was delicious, and the owner even stopped by our table a couple times to say hi and check in (she was very nice and friendly as well). Will definitely go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysLFcoupleVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've yet to be disappointed at this wonderful restaurant. Debbie Nieto hires and manages an extremely friendly and high-energy staff, and the food is consistently great. I just felt like a burger this time, and it was outstanding. My wife had a special--a lobster cobb salad--and it was delicious as well.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningDrDetroitVIPDined on 8/15/2014My daughter and I had dinner at Nieto's on Friday. While I have eaten here before and have been followers of Carlos and Debbie at their other great restaurants (rip Carlo's), I thought I would post a review. Nieto's is a great place; a variety of delicious and innovative takes on traditional foods (hamburgers, short ribs and fish to name a few), good sized drinks, and just the right touch on the sides and dessert. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- AnonDined on 8/10/2014The food was good but quite overpriced for what it was.
- ConsistentBuxieDined on 8/9/2014You can always depend on a great meal, for we have eaten there numerous times, and have never been disappointed. They really excel in fish preparation, and wonderful grilled shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood favoriteHungryGuyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Consistent quality and professional friendly service.Special Features:
- Great Service Good FoodBlueWarriorDined on 8/1/2014Friday night - place was not exactly hopping. Service was impeccable. Food was very good. Oysters a bit oversized but ravioli was clutch. Risotto was super. Pork Chop was killer. Short ribs rocked. Wine list a bit overpriced but some very good bottles.Special Features:
- enjoyeatingVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent.!! The hostess was very nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurantJaniceVIPDined on 8/1/2014Booked dinner there before a concert at Ravinia, basically because we wanted something close. Sat outside on a beautiful evening, food was great, and so was the service. The owner came over and introduced herself. Very friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Excellent dining spotDinnerVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food and service was outstanding, We will go back many times. Debbie is warm and makes you feel welcomeSpecial Features:
- always a pleasurememememeVIPDined on 7/25/2014food is excellent, as is the service, warm and friendly. great neighborhood find.Special Features:
- CattlemanDined on 7/25/2014The Nieto family knows what they are doing. All of their restaurants are very good.Special Features:
- Great foodMitchVIPDined on 7/21/2014Everything we tried there was too notch. The seafood preparations were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nieto'sLoveGoodFoodDined on 7/19/2014As always, our experience was great in all ways. Debbie and Carlos are superb hosts and have always put the work and care needed into making their restaurant(s) a cut above the rest. Thanks for another delicious experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantsbb1024Dined on 7/19/2014Great place..Fabulous owners..Treat you as a friend.. Service was great and the ambiance was wonderful..Wish they had a larger Vegan menu but all in all I would go back anytime!! Debbie is a dream!!
- Constantly excellent food & serviceStephDined on 7/10/2014Nieto's is our place of choice. From the moment you walk in, the staff make you feel welcome. The food is well presented and delicious. It's a all round great restaunt.Special Features:
- Nice hide a wayTheBecksDined on 6/27/2014First time we were there and truly enjoyed it. Loved the fresh guacamole made table side. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Hospitality...bonviveurDined on 6/25/2014...is at a premium here. Luis is the best! Great food, great wine...check out the reserve list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Local Date Night RestaurantDowntoEarthFoodyVIPDined on 6/14/2014For the Northern Burbs, this is a nice find. Nice atmosphere and more creative food. Pricey, but worth it to have a more City type of atmosphere. Carlos and Debbie are incredibly friendly and welcoming and really care about every aspect of their restaurant and the patrons' experience. We always look forward to seeing them and are happy to know we can always count on this restaurant when we don't feel like driving into the City.Special Features:
- 1st time at Nieto'sAuntmackiDined on 6/14/2014Very warm welcome! Ambiance, service, and food very good. Would definitely return. Upstairs is quieter for conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Carlos Does It AgainSteakVIPDined on 6/7/2014Outstanding food and service. Carlos has managed to take his outstanding talents to moderate priced food. This is a place you must try.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxed Fine DiningEatWellDined on 6/5/2014The former Carlos restaurant is a wonderful reinvention of itself as Nieto's. The food ranges from burgers to risotto to pistachio encrusted tilapia. The gazpacho was a creamy tomato base with crisp cucumber bits. The flavors were sublime. My friend and I shared the hangar steak on a bed of red cabbage and spinach with fries and the tilapia with a potato nest filled with diced veggies. Both were delicious top to bottom. The chocolate lava cake with a scoop of vanilla ice cream was just perfect as a shared dessert after that fabulous meal. Mmmmm The prices are moderately expensive, but great for special occasions or just a good burger out. This was my second time dining at Nieto's and I'm sure I will be enjoying many more meals here.Special Features:
- good ... buteaterDined on 6/2/2014The food and service are always excellent. That being said I have a hard time spending over $50 a person for shared appetizers, a hamburger, and a glass of wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A special restaurant . . .DebCVIPDined on 6/1/2014My husband and I have been fans of Nieto's for years, and always look forward to dining al fresca in the summer months. So, we naturally decided to dine there to celebrate our 28th anniversary. When we arrived, the weather was somewhat threatening, and the outdoor tables had been brought inside for the evening. No sooner did we mention that we would love to dine outside than Luis set up a private dining area for us under the awning. The wait staff went out of their way to accommodate us. The service was impeccable, and the food was delectable. My husband ordered the degustation menu, and savored every bite of his 5-course meal. As a vegetarian, I was delighted to find numerous offerings, all of which were delicious. Outstanding.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!LoriDined on 5/29/2014One of our go to places on a Saturday Night or a weekday, we love the place. The food is consistently great, and the owners know what they are doing after years of being in the business. Great wine list, and drinks too! Sometimes we even sit at the bar and grab a bite!Special Features:
- NIETOS is TERRIFICNamiDined on 5/24/2014What a great spot for a fabulous dinner in a place where you can talk at the table and not strain to hear each other. Loved the ribs and the chicken. Great salads. Fabulous desserts. The service was really great...not intrusive, just fun and friendly. We will look forward to returning soon and recommending it to our friends!Special Features:
- Small but good food!Soxchamps05Dined on 5/23/2014The tables are basically on top of each other, but the food is really good, and you end up talking to the other tables but that's part of the charm.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 5/17/2014The flatbread was excellent but the rest of the meal was just ok. My expectations may have been too high but the fries came out cold, the salmon was mostly raw when I asked for medium. The burgers were good, but the margarita's were not good; these were not mixed well. There was a lot of commotion that night too dishes were dropping etc. This was the entire tables first time there and we were all disappointed as we had heard such great things. It may have just been a bad night; it happens.
- Disappointedluv2eatDined on 5/16/2014Unfortunately, my dinner was not good -- the soft shelled crab was very fishy tasting and i had to send it back. i think it had gone bad. the service was ok, and it was downright LOUD! i could barely hear my friend talk across the table. would not go back.Special Features:
- DisappointedFoodEnthusiastVIPDined on 5/10/2014Our first indication that this was going to be a disappointing evening came when the hostess indicated that despite our reservation it would be awhile before she could seat us. Finally, the hostess showed us to a bar table near the front. The only plus about this table was it was quiet. On the negative side, we had to be helped into our high seats. Forty-five minutes later, after confronting the hostess about the lack of service, a waiter showed up to take our drink order. Then we had another long wait before our dinner order was taken. To sum up our evening, we experienced terrible service. Maybe it would have turned out differently if Carlos or Debbie had been there. Our much anticipated evening was a major disappointment.
- Nice Quaint restaurantBoyceDined on 5/10/2014Much too noisy for a special event dinner, and a bit overpriced for such a casual restaurant.Special Features:
- The following 610 reviews are from the Nieto's reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 5/3/2014If a special event, ask for the singing server. Not sure of his name, but our server, Miguel, has always been excellent.
- Good but not GreatvinoveritasDined on 5/3/2014My roasted vegetable salad with chicken was very good; but the chicken was a bit dry. The guacamole also was very good. My companion, however, hated his main meal. His crab cake sandwich was thin, tasted very fishy, and had a lot of filler. His side of sauteed spinach was drowning in olive oil, which tasted stale.
- Solid but nothing extraordinaryPerlDined on 5/3/2014There will be nothing to disappoint here at all. My wife had their BLT, which was very good. I had their crab cake sandwich which was also very good. For an appetizer I had the mango grilled shrimp and my wife had the artichoke. Both nice. But again, this is more casual bistro-like eating and you will not be blown away by anything. It will always deliver good food with very good service at a decent price.
- GarlicVIPDined on 5/1/2014Always high quality food, well prepared, with friendly service.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/20/2014Can't imagine a more perfect Easter Sunday Dinner! We were able to order whatever each of us wanted and everything was delicious. The casual atmosphere was relaxing as well. The wait staff consistency is so nice to see.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeLoriDined on 4/19/2014Carlos and Debbie have turned this restaurant into a much needed night spot-we go during the week and on the weekends! Great for couples on the weekends and great for families during the week too!It's our new favorite place to dine, and are bringing lots of friends back! It's a fun scene!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nieto'sPatWVIPDined on 4/18/2014Great neighborhood restaurant. Food selections would satisfy anyone! Delicious and the service is outstanding!Special Features: