429 Temple Avenue
Highland Park, IL 60035Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nietosrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 8474320770
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Wednesday - Monday: 5:00pm - Close. Closed Tuesdays.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American
- Executive Chef: Nabor Vazquez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please call for details.
- Private Party Facilities: Carlos offers 3 private dining rooms seating from 12 to 30 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Toni Gramm 8474320770
A word from Nieto's
A Re-Concepted Restaurant in the Fabled Carlos’ Space by Carlos and Debbie Nieto. Nieto's is decoratively updated although the gracious wood paneled walls remain. The dining room still has an imtimate feel to it, with a more "club" like atmosphere. The menu is extensive but familiar with modern day tweeks. Comfortable for family gatherings and dates alike.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Nieto's - Best Restaurants in Highland Park ›
Nieto's reviews from OpenTable diners
87 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.9Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (54)fit for foodies (41)special occasion (28)notable wine list (17)romantic (13)good for groups (13)great for outdoor dining (9)hot spot (9)kid-friendly (5)vibrant bar scene (5)late-night find (3)scenic view (1)Show More
- Above and Beyond!LRCPDined on 10/18/2014Everything about Nieto's is fantastic. We are always warmly greeted when we enter, enjoy friendly service and beautifully prepared high quality healthy food, no matter how busy the restaurant is that evening. Without knowing what was going on at the time, as I left the restaurant, I received a freshly made delicious entree salad, instead of my leftovers, because my leftovers were mistakingly thrown out instead of boxed up. Nieto's always goes above and beyond.Special Features:
- Gluten Free Options AboundAnndrea1970Dined on 10/18/2014Great selections on the regular menu, but really appreciate the dedicated gluten free menu, and the server who mentioned which of the nightly specials could be prepared gluten free. I ordered the truffle fries which were very tasty, but so soaked in grease. Had a little tummy ache from eating too many! The malbec by the glass was fantastic.Special Features:
- Good Food Service not Good ServiceGarlicVIPDined on 10/17/2014The quality and taste of Nieto's food never disappoints. With a menu that always has new items, but maintains the favorites, you go knowing that you will enjoy your meal. It does seem lately that if Carlos or Debbie Nieto are not present in the restaurant service slips significantly. During this visit we enjoyed our meal, but had to wait too long for the check. When the credit card was returned for signature it was the wrong card and bill. After waiting again too long a new charge slip was brought with the correct credit card. The following day when I checked my credit card account, I noticed that I had been charged twice by Nieto's. In an era where credit card security is important, this experience was very disappointing.Special Features:
- Solid food and service, a bit loudOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/11/2014Excellent food and attentive service, although a bit tight and loud for conversation (maybe that was just the guy six inches off my shoulder projecting a bit too much). This was the second time at Nieto's, and so far not a dud in the bunch. Wine list is not extensive, but has some gems, and is reasonably priced. Plan to return.Special Features:
- Always solidNorthshoredaveVIPDined on 10/10/2014Nietos is always a great choice when dining near by. The food is excellent. My favorite dish is the salmon which is consistently good. And as always they have some of the best soups around. When we dined it was butternut squash and it did not disappoint. Also we had and apple crisp for dessert which I could have had way more of. Also the service and owners are always friendly which makes the experience that much more enjoyable.Special Features:
- CozyDined on 10/8/2014Lovely decor and great food. We'll definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAndiVIPDined on 10/8/2014The menu is small and the prices high. We judge restaurants a lot by the bread they serve and this bread was a joke. Also, for a neighborhood place, charging $5 for valet is ridiculous.
- Superb standbyCosmoVIPDined on 10/3/2014An excellent value. Superior food. A warm welcome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/3/2014My family and I had a very enjoyable dinner at Nieto's! The ambience was wonderful, the food was delicious and Debbie and her staff were extremely warm and welcoming. We would definitely come back and bring friends!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food and service4dfoodVIPDined on 10/1/2014I love this place, finding a Groupon for it was just great luck. I would go there anyway. Only complaint is the noise level in the main floor dining room, depending on the other diners it can get really loud.Special Features:
- Never disappoints!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/27/2014We recently discovered Nieto's and it is one of our new favorite restaurants. Every time we've been there, our party has ordered different entrees - each one as good as the next. The braised beef short ribs is my favorite dish. Don't forget dessert - the cookie dessert is the perfect ending to the meal. Carlos and Debbie are always so friendly and accommodating. We are already looking forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/20/2014We're semi-regulars at Nieto's and typically really enjoy the experience. The food is always great and the specials bring back some of the great offerings that used to be on the menu at Carlos. This last visit was just OK...food was great and our waiter was good, but we were seated in the upstairs dining room. VERY quiet and not the same experience that you get when you're in the energetic ground floor dining room. Not sure how to avoid this happening again, but will try and figure it out. They were busier than I remember, which is great for them, but I think it was because of a Groupon offer. While I understand the need for marketing, I've seen this before...Groupon offered, cheap-o's show up, regulars seated upstairs.Special Features:
- Needs definitionBillBVIPDined on 9/19/2014Nieto's need some to decide if it's a burger bar or bistro? Right now it suffers from being neither
- Predictablly delicious food!reamorDined on 9/15/2014An early weeknight dinner was the perfect time to enjoy the range of offerings at Nieto's. We found the corn chowder the best we have eaten, and with the lobster ravioli, accompanied by shrimp, a satisfying meal in themselves. But the strip steak over spinach with Diane sauce was the crowning plate of the evening. The rack of baby back ribs cooked in applewood BBQ sauce were also delicious but found themselves the entree for the next night's dinner at home. All in all a wonderful evening meal when the restaurant was not so "brilliant" as weekends when things can be pretty noisy.Special Features:
- FriendlyTerriLKDined on 9/13/2014We dined at Nieto's on a Saturday night and it was packed, but we had a rez and were seated immediately. The first thing we noticed was the noise level....very loud. But, it's a small, neighborhood restaurant, so that should be expected. Service was slow, but very friendly. We were a party of 4 and 3 of us were served our meal while the 4th waited about 5 minutes before being served. A little uncomfortable for all of us. Also ordered oysters that just didn't taste quite right, so we sent them back. We didn't ask to have them taken off the bill and they didn't offer. We had previously dined here on a week night and had very good food and service, so my suggestion would be to avoid the weekend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Place!JorgeNDined on 9/13/2014Nieto's is a wonderful restaurant, with great service, superb food, and very positive energy. The place is vibrant, food is simply exquisite, Debbie & Carlos Nieto have created a wonderful environment to enjoy a spectacular meal amongst friends & family.Special Features:
- Upstairs for a changeNorthshoredaveVIPDined on 9/13/2014This is the third or fourth time I have been here. We had a group of 6 and were seated upstairs which I never had before. It is definitley a different vibe up there. Much more quiet than downstairs. Food as always was solid. The apps were great. We had the shrimp Lobster rav and the guac. All very good. Main entrees were also good. Had the lava cake and cookie for dessert which were all decadent. Only negative of being upstairs is that the service was a bit spotty. Hard to find the waiter when needed. The positive was we were able to hear all the guests in our party which is not always the case downstairs. I am sure I will go back.Special Features:
- Warm and welcome port in the stormMinchireVIPDined on 9/12/2014As long-time fans of Cafe Central and more recently, the Happ Inn, we tried Nieto's following a late Friday afternoon movie at the Renaissance Theatres in Highland Park. We literally came in from the rain, arriving 20 minutes prior to our reservation time. Debbie Nieto greeted us as though we were regulars, and seated us immediately. The menu offered plenty of variety and price points plus several intriguing specials. Two out of four of us ordered specials, and everyone's meal was boosted by an excellent wine pairing. A great way to start the weekend.Special Features:
- Loved it but loud.OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/6/2014Very good meal and service. Luis was awesome. Had not been since it was Carlos. Tables were a bit close and it was almost intolerably loud. We'll be back but on a slower night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Good ExperienceMyrzDined on 8/30/2014Had been to Carlos's several times but never to Nieto's. Wish we had gone earlier. Food was very good, service great, wine list extensive and very reasonably priced. The "new" interior is more inviting than Carlos, which I thought was stuffy and too quiet - almost museum like. The new restaurant is too loud but a definite improvement. The bar was hopping. You can pay these prices in plenty of places in the area and get much less for your money.Special Features:
- Neighborhood classGarlicVIPDined on 8/29/2014Still the best casual restaurant in the area with a wide choice of items that changes frequently. Wine list is strong, and the service is like eating at friendsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ExperienceAllieDined on 8/17/2014We had dinner with out friend's at Nieto's on Sunday night and had a great time. Our server was very attentive and friendly, the food was delicious, and the owner even stopped by our table a couple times to say hi and check in (she was very nice and friendly as well). Will definitely go back for more!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as AlwaysLFcoupleVIPDined on 8/16/2014We've yet to be disappointed at this wonderful restaurant. Debbie Nieto hires and manages an extremely friendly and high-energy staff, and the food is consistently great. I just felt like a burger this time, and it was outstanding. My wife had a special--a lobster cobb salad--and it was delicious as well.Special Features:
- Lovely eveningDrDetroitVIPDined on 8/15/2014My daughter and I had dinner at Nieto's on Friday. While I have eaten here before and have been followers of Carlos and Debbie at their other great restaurants (rip Carlo's), I thought I would post a review. Nieto's is a great place; a variety of delicious and innovative takes on traditional foods (hamburgers, short ribs and fish to name a few), good sized drinks, and just the right touch on the sides and dessert. We will be back soon.Special Features:
- AnonDined on 8/10/2014The food was good but quite overpriced for what it was.
- ConsistentBuxieDined on 8/9/2014You can always depend on a great meal, for we have eaten there numerous times, and have never been disappointed. They really excel in fish preparation, and wonderful grilled shrimp.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A neighborhood favoriteHungryGuyVIPDined on 8/2/2014Consistent quality and professional friendly service.Special Features:
- Great Service Good FoodBlueWarriorDined on 8/1/2014Friday night - place was not exactly hopping. Service was impeccable. Food was very good. Oysters a bit oversized but ravioli was clutch. Risotto was super. Pork Chop was killer. Short ribs rocked. Wine list a bit overpriced but some very good bottles.Special Features:
- enjoyeatingVIPDined on 8/1/2014The food was excellent.!! The hostess was very nice and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great little restaurantJaniceVIPDined on 8/1/2014Booked dinner there before a concert at Ravinia, basically because we wanted something close. Sat outside on a beautiful evening, food was great, and so was the service. The owner came over and introduced herself. Very friendly staffSpecial Features:
- Excellent dining spotDinnerVIPDined on 7/26/2014The food and service was outstanding, We will go back many times. Debbie is warm and makes you feel welcomeSpecial Features:
- always a pleasurememememeVIPDined on 7/25/2014food is excellent, as is the service, warm and friendly. great neighborhood find.Special Features:
- CattlemanDined on 7/25/2014The Nieto family knows what they are doing. All of their restaurants are very good.Special Features:
- Great foodMitchVIPDined on 7/21/2014Everything we tried there was too notch. The seafood preparations were fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nieto'sLoveGoodFoodDined on 7/19/2014As always, our experience was great in all ways. Debbie and Carlos are superb hosts and have always put the work and care needed into making their restaurant(s) a cut above the rest. Thanks for another delicious experience !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great restaurantsbb1024Dined on 7/19/2014Great place..Fabulous owners..Treat you as a friend.. Service was great and the ambiance was wonderful..Wish they had a larger Vegan menu but all in all I would go back anytime!! Debbie is a dream!!
- Constantly excellent food & serviceStephDined on 7/10/2014Nieto's is our place of choice. From the moment you walk in, the staff make you feel welcome. The food is well presented and delicious. It's a all round great restaunt.Special Features:
- Nice hide a wayTheBecksDined on 6/27/2014First time we were there and truly enjoyed it. Loved the fresh guacamole made table side. I will definitely go back.Special Features:
- The following 624 reviews are from the Nieto's reviews archive.
- Hospitality...bonviveurDined on 6/25/2014...is at a premium here. Luis is the best! Great food, great wine...check out the reserve list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Local Date Night RestaurantDowntoEarthFoodyVIPDined on 6/14/2014For the Northern Burbs, this is a nice find. Nice atmosphere and more creative food. Pricey, but worth it to have a more City type of atmosphere. Carlos and Debbie are incredibly friendly and welcoming and really care about every aspect of their restaurant and the patrons' experience. We always look forward to seeing them and are happy to know we can always count on this restaurant when we don't feel like driving into the City.Special Features: