Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar
2516 Hennepin Ave South
Minneapolis, MN 55405Neighborhood:
MexicanPrice: $30 and under
Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicostacobar.com/
- Phone: 6123457688
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
A word from Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar
Inspired by traditional Mexican street food, using indigenous herbs and spices used throughout the very heart of mexico. Chef Alejandro Victoria brings authentic recipes from his homeland in Michoacan to your plate. Beautiful ingredients, many organic and custom grown, are used to re-create timeless recipes with bold flavors and immediate freshness that jump off your tongue. Enjoy the upper level tequila bar with over 50 different tequila selections (100% agave reposado, blanca, mezcal), a scratch-made margartia menu, and a Latin American wine list.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar - Best Restaurants in Uptown ›
Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
56 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (41)neighborhood gem (37)fit for foodies (18)great for lunch (13)late-night find (13)hot spot (13)kid-friendly (10)good for groups (10)special occasion (5)romantic (5)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)notable wine list (2)Show More
- nan7Dined on 9/8/2014We had a great experience for our first time at Nico's. Enjoyed fabulous food and wonderful service. We'll go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great foodRockyVIPDined on 8/17/2014Nico's was recommended to us the night before and we had to try it out. It was Sunday afternoon, so it was really quiet. The guacamole was awesome , as were the other items. Our table had huevos rachereos, tacos and sopes which were all outstanding. Our only complaint is that it took a really long time to get our food-like 40 minutes. It hadn't even been busy when we got there. We will go back to try all the other menu items, just make sure you are not on a schedule.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing fish tacofrozenhipsterDined on 8/8/2014Drove by this place while on hennepin, amazing food, parking can be hard but its worth it! Their salsas are very good but the ability to buy your taco's one at a time is great. The fried fish taco was by far my favorite out of all.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- yum!HockeyHeartDined on 8/2/2014I am a huge fan of margaritas. Most of the places around the cities seem to dump a shaker of salt in theirs (and usually too much sugar too). Nico's has the perfect balance of flavors in theirs and I'd keep coming back just for the bar even if I didn't like the food, fortunately I do! The burritos are quite sizable. I haven't had anything else but my friend had quesadilla and she needed to box part of it to bring home. The staff was really attentive- even the ones who weren't assigned to our table- and very friendly. I will be coming back. It can get a little noisy on the 1st floor (but I've usually been there on weekend nights), I haven't been upstairs but that or outside may be better if you need a quieter setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Wonderful Surprisejk2eatDined on 8/2/2014We traditionally go to a Mexican restaurant for our anniversary so I decided we should try out Nico's Tacos & Tequila Bar. My husband was skeptical when I told him but after one sip of the tequila and one bite of the guacamole and he was convinced. My "house" margarita was excellent and my husband enjoyed his Pacifico from the tap. We tried three different tacos: Carne Asado, Pastor and Pollo de Tinga. They were all delicious and we would gladly order them again. Finally, as a special treat for our anniversary, we split an order of Churros. They were a perfect ending to our meal. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointed in policyRoseDined on 7/19/2014I requested outdoor seating in my reservation for a Saturday night birthday dinner. When we arrived for our 7:00 reservations we were told that outdoor seating is on a first come first serve basis and can't be requested on the Open Table reservation- which should be indicated or not allowed if the restaurant will not comply to this. We waited a hour on a waiting list for outdoor seating and then finally decided to sit inside. If someone makes a reservations with a request for outdoor seating they should bump first into the waiting line. The host was very rigid and not very interested in changing the situation. I was very disappointed and will wait awhile to return and I will share this incident with friends.Special Features:
- Great serviceOutandaboutDined on 7/14/2014While the service was excellent - from the manager greeting us to the server being attentive and available, the food fell a little a flat. When we arrived our group ordered guacamole and margaritas. Based on this, we were really excited for dinner. Every margarita we had was delicious! Our table ordered tacos, quesadillas, enchiladas and the corn. The tacos are very basic. If you dont order the extra toppings you literally only get the meat with a little pico. The corn was very flat, we only had 2 bites as it was not fresh. The quesadillas and enchiladas were the safer choice. Overall we had a nice evening. Id go back for hapy hour but would skip dinner.Special Features:
- Nice time at Nico'sEgprzytarskiDined on 7/8/2014Went to Nico's with a couple of girlfriends earlier this week and had an enjoyable time. We tried their fresh guac and ordered a trio of salsas that were all delicious. They have a nice a la carte taco menu or you can get a large plate which has three tacos and rice and beans. The tacos were pretty good, very small though! Sat out on the front porch which was cute; I wouldn't want to sit inside there. Service was a little slow, but our server was really nice. Overall a good experience, but I'm not dying to get back there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun to dine outside- good foodready4dinnerVIPDined on 7/3/2014Fun menu - lots of options. Food was great- and lots of it. Very reasonable prices. Got to eat outside on a nice night. Wasn't a busy night (week night) but service was really slow and not so great although the waitress did get the basic orders right. We asked for salsa but it never came. Water glasses not refilled. Will probably try again and maybe get a different server - maybe she had an off night.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FunTleviVIPDined on 6/27/2014Nicos is a great fun atmosphere and small 3-4$ Tacos lets you mix it up and try things. Tomatillo salsa excellent and the cucumber margarita perfect for those who find margaritas a tad too sweet! Light and refreshing!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food, Cool AmbienceRyanDined on 6/20/2014The food was pretty good but not anything amazing. It's a good value for decent Mexican food. The waiting staff seemed overwhelmed. My girlfriend asked for no pico de gallo but her burrito came out with it chalked full of it. They did offer to replace it, however.Special Features:
- We love this place...BettyVIPDined on 6/17/2014The service is great and the food is consistently yummy. It's so nice when you can find restaurants that will modify their dishes for you, in this case, grilled fish vs. fried. Oh and they have the best margaritas!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great TacoswhitewolfjxDined on 6/6/2014Tacos were excellent. Chips, Salsa and Guac were fantastic. Service was OK. I would recommend offering some combo plates for dinner. I could easily eat 3-4 tacos for dinner since they are small (which is not a bad thing, just noticeable) and I know you have the rice and beans plate with tacos, but why not tamales and tacos? Why not an enchilada, taco and tamale?Special Features:
- Great Food!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/31/2014We are very happy to have Nico's in the neighborhood. We have been going to Nico's since it opened - now close to eight to ten times. You need to be willing appreciate the quirky location of an old home/duplex location, but once you do - the food will make up for the creeky floors and old walls. I think we have tried all the margaritas and they're all great. I'd recommend the taco plate as a great value and variety as well. The tinga is as good as I've had anywhere and the pescado (cod) is my wife's. The naranja salsa is awesome and elote a great side dish.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun, vibrant and goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/30/2014We had a larger group - 7. Made a reservation for 6, because their system maxed out there, but noted we had 7. We were accommodated and our table was ready when we arrived on a night where all the tables were full. That's great service. Our server was very busy, but readily available and water was replenished regularly. To me, that's an important indication of staff attentiveness. Prices are very reasonable and the food is consistently well prepared and very flavorful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Cheers to the Patio!DaniMarieDined on 5/29/2014All I wanted was to sit on the patio and eat some tacos and it was good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- run to eat on the balcony upstairsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/25/2014We really enjoyed Nico's -- the food was great, and on a Memorial day weekend, it was fun to eat dinner on the open air balcony upstairs. The taco plate is really a great choice.Special Features:
- Great date night!CicieatsDined on 5/24/2014Had a lovely dinner outside. The service was good-- not great (they forgot our guacamole order; they did discount our bill). The salsas, guacamole and tacos were wonderful-- flavorful, good portion sizes. The chips were mixed-- some were tough and chewy. Being able to dine outside made it a wonderful experience. We will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 56 reviews are from the Nico's Taco and Tequila Bar reviews archive.
- Yummy bites...OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2014Sopes were absolutely amazing!! Their Cucumber margaritas had a great flavor and very refreshing. Aside from the very long wait for the server, food and check...I enjoyed my time. I would suggest that the wait staff get a better understanding of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Margaritas, Subpar FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 5/5/2014I went on Cinco De Mayo, so naturally half the margaritas were sold out and the kitchen was 45 minutes behind, but the drinks I did order (cucumber) were VERY delicious and the chips and guac were amazing. The tacos I ordered were extremely underwhelming and my two friends with me had different tacos with the same reaction. The service was still wonderful and we were given a complimentary dessert due to the wait. Overall I enjoyed my time on the patio and will be back for chips, dip, and drinks... NOT for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experience!LizzieDined on 5/3/2014Nico's food and ambiance were very authentic. The understated decor and the Mexican music made me feel like I was back in Mexico. The food was very flavorful and it was fun to have a variety of salsas to suit the different food items and individual tastes. The staff provided really good service and seemed genuinely happy, which indicates a good management and ownership. We will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fresh MexicanJuliebVIPDined on 4/29/2014Nicos has excellent fresh, Mexican food. The service was awesome. I recommend the cerviche and the camaron (grilled shrimp taco.) My friend said the flautas were excellent. Wine is a good price, if you can get it on Happy Hour, so much the better. I would definitely go back again as there were several items on the menu I would like to try.Special Features:
- If you're into large groups, noise.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/26/2014Food was okay, nothing outstanding. Served well and relatively quickly. The kitchen mixed up my order but then corrected it. Attentive service. Can get very loud; groups nearby were boisterous, to put it mildly! Cozy space.
- Loved itOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/26/2014We went to Nico's as a group of nine and had a great experience. It is located in a converted house on Hennepin so the restaurant is divided into different rooms and levels. I loved the food, especially the beans and rice - nothing fancy but just delicious. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- fun spot for weekday drinks/dinnerSes535VIPDined on 4/17/2014Friendly staff. The Chill Thyme is a tasty tequila drink that is a little bit different than the norm. Love the fish tacos.Special Features:
- Very GoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 4/12/2014Love the old house-turned-restaurant. Look forward to nice weather for outdoor dining! Food and drinks were great with something for everyone. I hope Nico's stays here for a long time!Special Features:
- Second time there, it was great!mudhonieDined on 4/12/2014Service was fantastic and speedy and our waitress was so nice and helpful. The salsas were fantastic. Love everything about it.
- Amazing fooddatedinerDined on 4/11/2014I love this place. It is very close to my home and the best Mexican food in Uptown. Their menu is simple but well created. I love their variety of margarita too! I highly recommend this place!Special Features:
- Interesting venue optionsupersonic410Dined on 3/30/2014The restaurant is set in an converted home.They have a nice patio area.The service was slow with the waitress basically ignoring our table for large spans of time. We waited more than 15 minutes for the table to be cleared. If you are seated in the 2nd level make sure that you are not in a back corner. The food was slightly pricey for what you got. The salsa was pretty much all liquid.I'd recommend the guacamole and chips as an app. The pescado (fish) and camaron (shrimp) soft shell tacos were very good.I ordered the taco plate - included rice (very plain - no real flavor) and beans (very tasty) . I'd put this on the been there, done that, not visit again list. I'd say give it a shot. Your experience might be completely different than mine.
- Great food, ok servicejdworakDined on 3/30/2014The tacos were fantastic, but the kitchen was slow. We would go back, if we were not in a hurry.Special Features:
- Great Tacos Awesome MargaritasNinaGDined on 3/29/2014Had a wonderful brunch/lunch of tacos and margaritas The atmosphere was cute and sunny, and the wait staff was attentive and friendly Can't wait to go back when the weather warms up for the outdoor seating!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and ambianceEricaDined on 3/28/2014My fiance and I found Nico's on Restaurant Week. We love the easy going atmosphere that's still hip and vibrant. Great place for an impromptu date night. The guacamole, pastor burrito and pozole are delicious and leave you with plenty of leftovers! Do make reservations, though, even if you only make them an hour in advance.Special Features:
- Great night out!CadenceDined on 3/22/2014We are always looking for a good night out enjoying Mexican fare. This is it! The food is delicious and not swimming in sauce and cheese . Great guacamole too. We all enjoyed our meals!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this placeBreaDined on 3/21/2014They make amazing tacos at a great price. They make every single ingredient in house and you can tell. Everything is so fresh. Their Margaritas are amazing. I will definitely be back.Special Features:
- All around goodJbeeDined on 3/20/2014We really liked the variety of the menu. Unlike any other Mexican restaurant, all the tacos fillings were unique. Salsa trio was fun to have the variety. The server gave us a few recommendations and they were good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Soooo satisfiedDomcquerryDined on 3/19/2014They know exactly what they want to be and execute it well. The food does not try to make any breakthroughs but rather to provide quality familiar dishes. I will be back again soon and many times afterSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and tasty!EmptyNestersVIPDined on 3/17/2014This was a pleasant surprise. Great food. Fun choices. We tried about 7 items between us and enjoyed each one. The sauces didn't bring much heat (for non-Minnesota taste buds), but each had nice flavors. No worries--I got my heat from the spicy margarita! The only disappointment was that they were out of a couple of things. In the end, it just gave us an excuse to return.Special Features:
- Pleasantly surprised!Hawkeye84Dined on 3/15/2014My husband and I came here on a whim and had a great experience! All of the good was amazing and the ambiance can't be beat. Will definitely come here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Home style diningLebanesegirlDined on 3/15/2014Absolutely loved this place! Since it's a home converted into a restaurant it really felt like I was in someone's home eating great, authentic Mexican food. The tequila selection is insane! There's so many great choices. The drinks come a little strong but they're still delicious. Definitely going back soon to try out some more food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Taco's were very good, butOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/15/2014Taco's were very good, but pretty much limited to the meat and cilantro onions. Make sure to explore adding rice, beans, guac, etc. Be prepared to be adventurous with the menu and make many combinations of items in order to really get the full experience. Food was fantastic. Very intimate setting.