1420 Sycamore Street
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicolasotr.com/
- Phone: 5137216200x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Joel Molloy
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Fireplace, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Nicola's Ristorante offers catering to diners' homes; 5-8 courses with wine parings, minimum 10 people, no Saturdays or Sundays, starting at $90.00 a person.
A word from Nicola's Ristorante
Located just north of Downtown in Over the Rhine, Cincinnati’s hip and historic neighborhood, Nicola’s Ristorante Italiano has long been a fine dining staple of the city during its 18 years of operation. Owners Nicola and Maureen Pietoso pride their restaurant not only for its highly acclaimed contemporary Italian menu, extensive wine list, and variety of unique dining spaces, but most especially for their restaurant’s long-standing reputation for being warmly hospitable and accommodating.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Ambiance
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
Nicola's Ristorante - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Nicola's Ristorante reviews from OpenTable diners
234 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (199)fit for foodies (179)romantic (171)notable wine list (135)neighborhood gem (102)good for groups (42)great for outdoor dining (36)hot spot (34)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (8)scenic view (2)great for lunch (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Nice eveningFood4meDined on 10/17/2014We chose Nicola's to celebrate a recent retirement. Our waiter was very knowledgable and able to describe all dish preparations. Food was excellent. The greatest disappointment - we waited over a half hour between salads and entrees. It diminished the dining experience because no one on staff had acknowledged the long wait. We were not asked if we wanted additional cocktails, or wine or.... Instead we were left wondering if we had been 'forgotten'. Once our entrees arrived, we had to ask for a wine list, and again wait. So, our wine wasn't poured, or ready, when we began to eat our entrees. The food was delicious and the ambiance was sophisticated. Undecided if we will return and hope for a better service experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Italian food lovers4SaturdayNightDinersVIPDined on 10/14/2014Food was exceptional starting with the beats, pasta dish, the rolls, the fluke fish entre........all was prepared to a t, delivered perfectly, was very delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- An amazing experience.RookieFooderDined on 10/11/2014Coming to Nicholas was a truly amazing experience for us. We're not the most dedicated "Foodies" but the service, the ambiance and the setting was perfect. The food was an artistic expression in mouth -watering euphoria. Think about that for a second... Hats of to the Chef. He set up my imminent wedding engagement that evening perfectly. The wine list is overwhelming - but that's a good thing for us personally. We loved the iPad list and the amazing selection. We can't say enough about this hidden gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderfulharryhaller1Dined on 10/10/2014Best Italian cuisine in town; artfully prepared, super wine list, fantastic service. Wife & I keep coming back. ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The best kept secret is Nicola'sMindyDined on 10/8/2014I had never heard of Nicola's Ristorante but my son had and been there many times. So, for my birthday this week he treated me to dinner. Now, I understand why he loves this place. It is over the top with amazing, amazing food and service. The server was kind and respectful towards all my questions. He explained the menu to me but I still had those questions. All the combined flavor's are totally and I mean totally so tasteful. Hat's off to the chef and the hospitality. If you are a local and haven't tried Nicolas you are missing out. If you are a local and want to impress family, friends or visitor's this is the place! My work place there are many out of state vistors who ask for reconmendations and I will definitely suggestSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We keep coming back......eeniemeenieDined on 10/4/2014This past Saturday four of us dined and each thoroughly enjoyed our meal. If I could just stay away from that bread basket.......every entree wasdelicious and the desserts were a perfect ending to a lovely evening. Foie Gras is my Achilles heel. But I would order it again and again. The Minestra Tosccana soup was approeciated by my guests on the chilly evening. Alfter the Pork Belly appetizer we redeemed our arteries with the perfect roasted beet salad and the Broccoli with pancetta and caciocavallo and buttermilk. I ate the triangolopasta entree that was a perfect balance. Others had the Butternut Squash Tortelloni with speck and several had the seafood risotto (perfectly cooked al dente) and of course,those iressistable short ribs.Special Features:
- Ktrock8Dined on 10/3/2014Excellent food and service. Our waiter was very knowledgeable and friendly. Dinner was delicious-great ambiance! Would definitely recommend and can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Kate Mount AdamsKateDined on 10/3/2014i had a wonderful meal here on Friday evening with two close friends that we have not seen for ages. Great food and fabulous wine, would recommend to a friend or colleague. Will be back again soon, wish there was a restaurant like this in Mount Adams!.Special Features:
- Misty123VIPDined on 10/2/2014It was a fabulous meal! Will definitely be returning!Special Features:
- Excellent all aroundTBPlayerDined on 10/2/2014Terrific food, great service and lovely atmosphere. We had the five-course tasting menu and were very happy—great balance and we left comfortably full but not bloated. The cooking is traditionally authentic but with a creative flair. The wine pairings were lovely, with pours that left us satisfied but not inebriated. We asked to make a substitution on one course and there was no problem. Our waiter was friendly and funny while maintaining the sort of respect you would expect in such an elegant place. The bill was quite reasonable—we've paid more for lesser experiences. We give it an unqualified enthusiastic recommendation and look forward to returning.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nicola's is a gem.bataviaeddieDined on 10/1/2014Gr at food; great service; extremely knowledgeable staff; and great ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The BestJimbevDined on 9/30/2014In our opinion Nicola's is the one of the finest restaurants in Cincinnati. I cannot think of a better one yet. The service, ambiance, food, charm are first class.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding across the boardOhioDinerDined on 9/29/2014My wife and I stopped at Nicola's for our anniversary and were not disappointed in any way. The service, food, and atmosphere were all top notch. We will gladly return again in the future!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ExpericenceChicagofoodieDined on 9/27/2014Absolutely fabulous food. It was our anniversary and we loved it!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/27/2014Wonderful, accommodating staff. Excellent service. OsoBuco was dry but everything else was delicious and beautifully presented.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding mealjujuDined on 9/27/2014The food was described very well by our waiter. Presentation was especially good. The entire experience was very enjoyable. We had never been to this restaurant before but definitely will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very goodStillcantseeDined on 9/26/2014Food was very good, portions are small. Very nice athomsphere.Special Features:
- Really GoodgoodeaterDined on 9/24/2014Overall I had a positive experience. The food was great, our waiter was friendly, and the ambiance is pretty nice (despite sitting by the kitchen door). The gnocchi is awesome... super rich and creamy (so rich I highly recommend splitting it), probably some of the best I've had. Also had one of their fish entrees which was very good, but wasn't thrilled with it. Overall something just felt like it was missing for me to absolutely rave about the experience. Our waiter told us they were a little under staffed, so that could have been it. I'd go back, and likely will, but I'll probably just split a pasta dish and save my expensive, multi-course dining for Orchids.Special Features:
- JimmyboyDined on 9/24/2014Nicola's is always good. Expensive, but worth it. Something not on the menu is a large antipasto for five. We asked and got a smaller one for 2 people. The service was good, although the waiter was a little too officious. We prefer a little more restraint in our wait staff. Nicola's bill tells us how much you should tip at various percentages. I would prefer to do the math myself.
- Amazing!DanielDined on 9/19/2014This was the first time my spouse and I have been to Nicola's and it was great. It was my wife's birthday and without us even mentioning anything, our waitress noticed her reading a birthday card so they gave her dessert on the house. It was great and we will be back for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful 40th anniversary dinner! Our favorite restaurant in Cinti! The only negative was the table location by the kitchen door....noisy and active.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a treat!CincytopDined on 9/13/2014We went to Nicola's early on a Saturday night for our anniversary. I like the atsmosphere in that it is upscale, cozy and not stuffy or pretentious. The bread basket is always a delight. We shared two pastas and the kitchen was nice enough to split the orders for us and present each of us with a nicely divided dish. The Triangolo was especially delicious. Being from Atlanta, we find it hard to find restaurants that offer consistently unique and quality food in a nice environment in Cincinnati but Nicola's hits the mark. Also, service is spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the SymphonyMrsAnuciDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I ate at Nicolas before attending the opening night of the Cincinnati Symphony. We had the cauliflower salad and the goat cheese salad. For our entrees we had the mezzaluna, the Tagliatelle alla Bolognese and the pea risotto with lobster. The portions were just right and the wine list was great. The best thing was the risotto, it was so good we were trying to figure out how to make it at home before it was gone.Special Features:
- RADdineDined on 9/13/2014This is the second time we ate at Nicola's. This time was not as enjoyable becasue they had a wedding party there that created much more noise than usual, and we had to eat on the second floor, and the service was slowed. The food was excellent, but seemed to be more expensive than the last visit, about $88 per person for a party of 4 with only one bottle of wine @ $50. Still one of the best resaurants in Cincinnati.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner at Nicola'sDiner816Dined on 9/9/2014We were in town visiting colleges with my son, and found this Italian gem. My son loves pasta Bolognese and he was not disappointed. My dinner and my wife's were equally as good. Our waiter was very friendly, entertaining and did not hesitate to provide recommendations when asked. The wine list is quite extensive and presented on an iPad. The gazpacho starter was outstanding. I would not hesitate to recommend Nicola's.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and Ambiancejah1Dined on 9/6/2014My husband and I adore dining at Nicola's. The food is amazing and the service is even better. We are so grateful to have found this wonderful restaurant. We keep going back and are now considered regulars! When we walk in the door the extraordinary people at the front greet us like we are their best customers, I am sure we're not but it is so nice to go somewhere and know that your business is appreciated. I highly recommend this restaurant to anyone that likes FANTASTIC food and WONDERFUL service. Don't miss hanging out in the bar for a bit, the bartenders are fabulous too!Special Features:
- BradDined on 9/6/2014I was recommended to try this restaurant and what an amazing place. I have been in Cincinnati since the beginning of 2014 and this is by far the best restaurant I have been to and I've been to quite a few. You are truly treated as a guest. The staff is excellent, professional and extremely courteous. I can't say enough about this place. I will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NICOLA'STravelersDined on 9/5/2014Perhaps the finest restaurant in Cincinnati and one of the best in the state. A dining experience. The food is unique and excellent and the service is great. Have never had even an average meal. Treat yourself to a great dining experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbjdmdVIPDined on 9/3/2014Food was as beautiful as it was delicious. Our server, Gabriel, was extremely knowledgeable and spoiled us with his great service and recommendations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperbCrazyforfoodDined on 8/30/2014We love this restaurant. Food is always excellent and the service outstanding!Special Features:
- Fun place great food and atmospherelove2eatitalianfoodDined on 8/30/2014Such a fun place with great food and service. I highly recommend this restaurant. Will definitely go back when in the Cincinnati area againSpecial Features:
- Service and Food QualityTomCDined on 8/30/2014Garth was our server and did a great job from his recommendations on the food as well as the Jermann Pinot Grigio. Food quality is always superb. Only recommendation would be that management would consider providing a free desert for special occasions like birthdays or anniversaries, as was the case for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Becky/ Martini ClubBeckyDined on 8/28/2014Xxxxxxxxcxxxx. Cxxxxxxxxxxxxxx. Cxxxxxxx. Xox. ZzzzxxxxvcfffdcggvhgdghvxhffcSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HJFivydadDined on 8/27/2014Our first time under the new Chef. Had the 5 course tasting menu. Good choices, ingredients and presentation. The meat on the salty side. Would recommend it without hesitation. Attention to details classy service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great service & fooddeb1Dined on 8/25/2014We have enjoyed the five course prix fix twice and enjoyed all the courses. The regular menu is wonderful too. Highly recommend, somewhat pricey but perfect for special occasion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special occasionLovelandmomDined on 8/23/2014This place does not disappoint. We came to celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary, and will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special RestaurantjdoecustomerDined on 8/22/2014Great restaurant and a place suitable for very special occasions, but not too fussy. The food is spectacular, perfectly prepared & presented, as to be expected for the price, and worth every penny. Staff is gracious, knowledgeable, and helpful. The bread basket is over the top. You will never be disappointed, no matter the occasion nor company.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2014This is without a doubt the best meal I have had in Cincinnati. The last meal I had like this was in Florence, Italy!Special Features:
- Good, dependable, priceyTravelstoeatDined on 8/21/2014Appetizers and salad were fine, nice taste and decent portions but for the price there could be a little more food. Entrees were both underwhelming, for different reasons. My pasta was a filled triangle with corn and chicken. The pasta was nice, the sauce too sweet from the sweet corn, and the chicken was chunks of rather boring chicken breast. Really? My husband had the Branzini, a lovely fish cooked nicely and with seasonal vegetables, but the presentation was odd- a large square plate with food on one half, barely covering the side, and nothing on the other half of the plate. Just a big white bare plate. Not pretty. Net, a nice dinner but not a stand out. And for $170, with wine and tip, no desserts, it fell short.Special Features:
- Magnificent experienceMarriedcoupleDined on 8/21/2014What a wonderful place to celebrate our wedding anniversary! The service was excellent, the food outstanding, and the wine superb. We highly recommend the Tomasino wine. We also greatly enjoyed several stuffed pasta dishes which were freshly made and beautifully flavored. Our only complaints were 1) a large party that was somewhat loud during our dinner experience, and 2) the menu is rather expensive which can be hard to justify particularly given that I have a knack for making gourmet pasta. On the other hand the food was superb and the portions were good; moreover the restaurant was generous with regards to offering complementary dessert/treats to commemorate our special occasion which help offset the impact of the cost.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.