20969 Ventura Blvd.
Woodland Hills, CA 91364Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://nicolaskitchen.com/
- Phone: (818) 883-9477
- Hours of Operation:
Daily: 11:30am - 4:00pm>
Sunday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Friday & Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Italian, Thai
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Beer, Delivery, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: From our delicious menu or by special request.
- Private Party Facilities: We will close the cozy dining room for groups between 50- 65 and allow additional seating on our outside patio.
- Private Party Contact: John or Kate 8189039477
- Cross Street: De Soto
- Public Transit: Good public transit stops 100 yards from front entrance.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: Excellent parking available breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Lunch parking 60 minute free with validation.
Breakfast and dinner parking is free.
Parking lot is covered for hot sunny or rainy days.
Handicapped parking and handicapped access.
A word from Nicola's Kitchen
Nicola's Kitchen boasts 20 plus years in charming French Quarter. Everything you want in a neighborhood Italian joint: excellent eclectic fair, generous portions, friendly helpful staff, patio seating available and ample parking. Beer and wine available for date night with your best mate. Reservation group size up to 65 for a rehearsal dinner party or birthday celebration.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Brunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreat for Lunch
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
Nicola's Kitchen - Best Restaurants in Woodland Hills ›
Nicola's Kitchen reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (26)kid-friendly (18)great for lunch (15)great for brunch (14)fit for foodies (12)great for outdoor dining (12)good for groups (10)special occasion (5)hot spot (1)late-night find (1)romantic (1)Show More
- Friendly Atmosphere8satisfiedDined on 11/18/2014Waiter was very helpful explaining about the dishes and extremely courteous. We were a large group and all our food came out on a timely fashion and it was hot and tasty. The owner came out to greet us and welcomed us. Very friendly. The pizza crust bread is delicious especially if you ask them to bring it out more toasted than the way it is served. The specials were really quite good. Nicola's Kitchen is truly a neighborhood gem. Parking is very convenient as well. Overall, I could give it a 10 and I am planning to go back. By the way, the carrot cake was excellent, and it is made in house.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Working hard to pleaseTomBVIPDined on 11/17/2014I'd heard a lot of good things about Nicola's and had been eager to give it a try. My first attempt was on a Sunday evening. Every seat was taken and there was a substantial wait, so I decided to pass. My second attempt was for lunch. We arrived before the lunchtime crowd. As we ate, the place got crowded. I soon understood why. The food is very good, fairly priced, and they don't skimp on portions. Service is friendly and efficient. It's very evident the owners keep a close watch over what has become a very popular neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/9/2014Nicola's Kitchen is a very nice neighborhood restaurant offering a wide menu, good prices, great food and very good service. Their chopped salad is a well known and unique item on the menu. I also love the fact that they serve breakfast late into the day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not impressedOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/9/2014The menu was limited to only eggs and breakfast dishes, no other options. I was told they did not have lettuce to make a salad. Very mediocre. Service was very lackadaisical.
- NewmiesVIPDined on 11/2/2014good food at fair prices with friendly servers- we go here oftenSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemMikeDined on 10/27/2014My wife and I eat at Nicola's multiple times per month, usually dinners or breakfast on the weekends. We usually eat early so we can show up without a reservation, but on this occasion I made a reservation because we were meeting friends. The food was good and the service was friendly, excellent and unobtrusive. Our friends had not been there before, but I think Nicola's made some new fans.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for regularsFayTVIPDined on 10/27/2014I love this restaurant! The owners, waiters and bus boys treat me like it's my second home. The food is consistently delicious. The service (Todd as the waiter) is superb!Special Features:
- Good food, slow service.nilooshkaDined on 10/6/2014No complaints about the food. Service was lacking. Slow and had to be prompted by us a few times. May we order? (after 25 minutes of arrival), More water please (twice). Extra crisp bread arrived after 20 minutes.Special Features:
- Mediocre food. Parking is HORRIBLEPatinaLazinaDined on 10/2/2014Nothing special about the food. Expensive waffles $11.25...huh? The reason that I will never visit again is the parking garage charges $1.25 every 20 minutes and you only get 1 hour validation from the restaurant, so my parking was an additional $6.25 on top of my $20 portion of the tab with my friend. This was my first visit and my last. In the 15-20 years that this restaurant has been in business, the owner should have negotiated a better parking situation for his customers, so they don't burden the other businesses in the area to sneak free parking. I did speak with him about it and the conversation was basically all about his challenge with his share of the validated parking cost...
- GREAT ITALIANBobFVIPDined on 9/24/2014We love this place. It's got a fantastic staff...very attentive waiters and bus boy. Food is great and I had a wonderful red wine this last time recommended by the manager. And the outdoor patio, although small, is so nice for dinner. And very reasonable prices! Even the pizza is great....have a slice as an appetizer!Special Features:
- Delicious and ConsistentShelRonDined on 9/20/2014For over 20 years, the food and service has been delicious and consistent. We dine here regularly for all types of occasions. Looking forward to 20 more years!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very average...AwinrmVIPDined on 9/11/2014Went for lunch....a nice selection of pastas, pizzas, salads. Nothing out of the ordinary....a little pricey for a small salad....with a couple if bits if chicken.
- Consistenly Wonderful!momx2VIPDined on 9/7/2014One of our favorite places. The food is great, the service is great, the small side patio is always comfortable. They don't have a kids menu but will make 1/2 portions for the kids. Everything is always fabulous here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of our Favoritesmomx2VIPDined on 8/17/2014We love this place from the food to the service to the atmosphere. It's one of our favorites!Special Features:
- good breakfasts!arv4Dined on 8/11/2014Went for Sunday brunch - they have great pancakes! The apple pie pancakes are very yummy, and the chocolate chip pancakes passed the test with our "expert" 15 year old as being very good!
- nice neighborhood spotprk60Dined on 8/8/2014Service is excellent. The food is good but not stellar. Nevertheless, and enjoyable meal out with kids and grand kids. Had great pine nut crusted halibut, but plate watery and pasta cool and dry. Good eggplant, spaghetti and meatballs for kids. Tiramisu very good but no pronounced coffee flavor. Tepid espresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 69 reviews are from the Nicola's Kitchen reviews archive.
- Great FindmealtalkDined on 7/28/2014The menu is diverse as there is something for everyone. I had a salad as I am dieting and it was lunchtime. The salad was excellent. I would definitely return to try other menu items. The service was excellent. Though they were busy, they allowed my friend (whom I had not seen for sometime) and I to linger. I would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great food!teeUp9x2Dined on 7/24/2014I was just here the other day and for years i've gone here, they've always impressed me with good food and service.Special Features:
- Bland FoodProthonotaryDined on 7/12/2014Based upon the menu, we were excited to try Nicola's Kitchen. However, the food - all four entrees -- was extremely bland. The taste of Bobby's Stir Fry was a simply that of a mixture of vegetables...the ginger other spices was nonexistent. The pasta alfredo had a weak covering of sauce. Two other dishes the same. We all agreed we make better food in our own home. Also, no side dish comes with entrees...which would have made these meals much better. Crowded atmosphere did not allow for much privacy with conversation.
- Yum!Looking4YumDined on 7/10/2014We were looking for a fun, casual place with good food to celebrate a birthday and a mom's night out. We feel lucky that we discovered Nikola's Kitchen on Open Table. The food was delicious. Highly recommend the bruschetta. We were all pleased with our various entrees. Desserts were handmade at the restaurant and were so tasty (We had Oreo brownie ice cream cake and cannolis, but I want to try the tiramisu next time). It's not a huge place, but we didn't feel crowded (there's a patio for outside dining, too). Very friendly staff. John, one of the owners, even came by and introduced himself and was happy to speak with us for a bit. Will definitely go back soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Luv2dineDined on 7/5/2014Best sesame chicken ever. Grilled vegetables a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food AND service!BobFVIPDined on 6/27/2014The service was fantastic. LA is notorious for horrible service but this place couldn't have better service in every way. And the food is great traditional southern Italian cuisine. I haven't had such good food and friendly, attentive service like here in years.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- favoritelunchspotFayTVIPDined on 6/20/2014Nicolas is my favorite restaurant for lunch. I work close by and absolutely LOVE having lunch there several times a week. The owners (John and Kate) are friendly, welcoming and warm. My favorite waiter is Todd who is super friendly , attentive, and always gets our order right. The bus boys are awesome too. The tropical iced tea is my favorite. The special chopped chicken salad is delicious! Their balsamic vinaigrette dressing is superb!Special Features:
- It was a lucky guess!TookachanceDined on 6/6/2014My husband and I were passing through on our way to Santa Barbara and wanted to find a place for dinner. We checked Open Table and found Nicola's had a reservation spot at a good time for us. We felt like taking a chance and we were so pleasantly surprised! It was a delight! Friendly, family run, and delicious. We will make it a point to visit again.Special Features:
- Good food, but ...WendyVIPDined on 5/9/2014This was the second time in a month that we've gone for dinner and had trouble getting seated. I made a reservation for our group of 7 so we wouldn't have trouble getting a table, after having problems two weeks before with only 4. Our pre-dinner event ran long; I called as soon as we were out to say we'd arrive at 8:15 rather than 8pm; she confirmed our reservation was in the computer. When we arrived they were just setting up a group table in a nice open space, but it turns out they were seating another group; there STILL wasn't a table set up for us and we had to wait while they crowded us into a dark, small spot between other tables, and no apologies for not having a table ready for us with our reservation.Special Features:
- Great food and serviceBewareDined on 5/2/2014Love Nicola's. Been coming here for years. Food and service was excellent. Inside and outside seating available. Can't go wrong no matter what you order.Special Features:
- BEST CHOPPED SALADAntstayDined on 4/23/2014Best chopped Italian salad around. Amazing balsamic dressing. Wonderful focaccia bread basket.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous eveningminireunion2014Dined on 4/14/2014Although members of our party arrived late for dinner due to traffic on the 405 and 101 freeways, the service and food was excellent. I've raved about this restaurant for years. Tonight we were meeting with a friend who flew in from D.C. We were so concerned that we wouldn't have time to finish our meal and visit before the lights went out. The management at Nicola's was so accommodating to our small party. Our reunion was a success. Everyone fell in love with the restaurant and was so impressed by their service and food. Many thanks for making this a memorable evening for all of us.Special Features:
- Regular customerFayTVIPDined on 4/2/2014Hi. I'm a regular customer. I frequent Nicolas at last twice a week. The food is delicious, the service (Todd) is superb and the owners (John and Kate) are wonderful!Special Features:
- Great Neighborhood RestaurantBooked2DineVIPDined on 4/2/2014Have been here twice for lunch during the week. Great pastas, salads, sandwiches. Not large, it fills up during the noon hour. Park in the garage behind the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Low on ambience but serviceNewmiesVIPDined on 3/25/2014Low on ambience but service friendly and food very goodSpecial Features:
- 1st TimerScoobie213Dined on 3/23/2014FOOD WAS GOOD, PLATES WERE BIG AND DELICIOUS. COULD USE A BETTER VIBE BUT THE PLACE/LOCATION IS NICE. PRICES WERE GOOD. I GIVE IT AN 8/10Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good; not GreatDrPaulDined on 3/21/2014Lunch was good, but nothing special. The Chicken, pasta and steamed veggies were not very impressive as regards to the taste or presentation. OK for lunch conversation sitting in a booth in the corner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very disappointed. The foodOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 3/15/2014Very disappointed. The food was cold and not very good. They raved about their Marsala sauce, but it had no taste.
- OkayGigiVIPDined on 3/3/2014The food was okay. We were a large party, yet we did not find the service very attentive.
- Nicola's has been a neighborhoodclayful1VIPDined on 2/25/2014Nicola's has been a neighborhood favorite for many years. The chopped salad is to die for and I order a large so I can take home left overs for lunch the next day. The menu is varied and had something for everyone. I highly recommend Nicola's for a relaxed evening out.Special Features:
- live2eatlivetoeatDined on 2/14/2014I suggest go on a complete empty stomach because the portions are huge! The staff were great, all smiles and friendly. You can tell a lot of 'regulars' attend this spot. The barbecue salad was o.k., the tortilla chips were from a bag normally served for nachos, I wasn't too impressed. The egg plant and chicken parmigiana were both great! Cover it with more cheese and pair it with the bread (load up on carbs). Red wine paired well with whole meal, if you're going to drink I suggest buy the bottle w/your meal. Overall great family spot. I will see you again Nicola's Kitchen.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious bread!!!!! GreattkdmomDined on 2/8/2014Delicious bread!!!!! Great pizza, pasta, chicken dishes and dessert!Special Features:
- Surprise, surprise!MDLRVIPDined on 2/5/2014At a whim, I scheduled a reservation at Nicola's to which I had never been. I was very pleasantly surprised to be served by Kelly, a wonderfully energetic and pleasant person. As is the case, I ordered items off the menu with special requests. Kelly was happy to take my order and the kitchen graciously and deliciously fulfilled my request. My date and I enjoyed our dinners and will definitely recommend this little gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always GreatvinceyfaceDined on 1/18/2014I absolutely love this place, the food here is always great; I love love love making my own pasta dish. However the service can be hit and miss, 3 out 4 times I've had amazing, but this last time I was there was pretty lackluster. Overall I recommend this place, always good food and it's just so fun to sit in the patio area.Special Features: