417 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177420404x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday, 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Nico
Whaddayaget when you cross the koolest new nightspot in Boston with the biggest, best, most delicious meatballs in the Northend? Answer: Nico Ristorante. This two-floor restaurant is the brain child of noted Boston Restaurateur Nick Varano, owner of the highly-esteemed Strega Ristorante on Hanover Street. The boldly colored interior is a perfect backdrop for the exciting, superlative, classic Italian fare and innovative creations. The kitchen is under the direction and wizardry of Nico's celebrated chef Salvatore Firicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerItalian
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
228 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (137)fit for foodies (113)romantic (92)special occasion (83)notable wine list (57)hot spot (22)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (16)kid-friendly (10)scenic view (9)late-night find (9)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (4)Show More
- Best meatball everOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Had the Braciole which included one of there huge meatballs. It was the best meatball I've ever had. Everything else was good also including sauces. Place is noisy though so hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/18/2014Great night out! The service was excellent and the food was delicious! The ambience and the bar was great, friendly staff! We all enjoyed our meal and would go back in a heart beat!Special Features:
- Nico's RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great Italian food in the North End. We had a party of 6 (a tough bunch to please) and each person had a different entree - everyone was highly satisfied with their food. It was delicious - we will definitely be back. Waitstaff was excellent and very friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014One of my FAVORITE North End Restaurants- never disappoints! The food is consistently delicious and the service is attentive. My favorites are the burrata with artichoke heart appetizer and the mushroom ravioli with truffle creme sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014I thought the food and service were fine - nothing incredible. Among a sea of other restaurants in the North End, there is nothing defining (in either a good or bad way) about Nico.Special Features:
- wanderlustDined on 10/14/2014DInner at Nico's was one of the best meals we've had quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical north endPeteyDined on 10/13/2014Service non existent. They must look at all patrons as tourists or one time visitors because no one would return given the rush job and lack of attention. Food was ok - not great Asked a day in advance for table by window. Sat at the door to the kitchen.
- DLS1017Dined on 10/13/2014The food was outstanding and perfectly done. The drinks from the bar were delicious. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceDarkstarDined on 10/12/2014Food was excellent. Helpful staff. My daughter and I had a fine meal. Whatever you do, don't stand in line at those over hyped restaurants if you can get a reservation here instead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, nothing specialCC6347Dined on 10/12/2014It was nice that I could make a reservation since I'm from out of town and didn't want to spend my night in Boston waiting in a line at some of the other hot spots. We were seated promptly and although I had read mixed reviews of the service, ours was fine. The busboy kept the water glasses filled all night, and was quick to remove our plates. It was a little strange having a bar with televisions in an otherwise romantic establishment. Maybe I'm a snob because my grandmother and mother cook amazing Italian food but I thought this place was only okay. Our favorite was the polpetta (meatball) appetizer, very flavorful. Carbonara was okay, could've used some salt. The chicken dish we had was frankly below par.Special Features:
- Price please!Priccplease1Dined on 10/11/2014We listened to specials and ordered one entree from menu and one from special list. When bill arrived the special was $36!!!!!! I asked the waiter why he did not advise of the price and he said some are offended! Well, all places I frequent provide the price as a matter of course when reciting specials. Food was good. Service was ok, once we were seated about 20-25 minutes late, but we were not prepared for the bill showing the special cost twice as much as what was ordered off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014The service and the food were wonderful. Would definitely return and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nico magnifico!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014My daughter was home this Columbus Day weekend from college and was craving a cannoli from a famous bakery in the North End. We figured we'd try a new place to have dinner while there and found Nico on line at Open Table. Although they did not have a vegetarian option on the menu, our waiter made a couple of suggestions for one of the members of our party and the dish was fabulous. The double cut pork chop was perhaps the best tasting dish I've had out. The kids had chicken parm and said it was delicious. A perfect experience and we will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Why Make a ReservationNorthEndDDined on 10/10/2014I had a reservation Friday night, I arrived early, I waited in line for a half hour, and by the time I was at the front Nico gave my table away to someone else... I then got Dunkin Donuts sandwiches for dinner Friday night. I live in the North End, and whenever someone asks me where to get good food, my answer will forever be: "Anywhere but Nico."
- Solid all aroundpjross22Dined on 10/10/2014I took my in laws here while they were visiting from Florida. The service was attentive and prompt, and although North End restaurants are small our 4-top table was spacious and we did not feel jammed into a corner or crammed. The calamari appetizers were lightly fried and fresh, outstanding bread with high quality olive oil and olives. The lobster crepe was a different and delicious, all of the hand-made pasta was perfectly cooked and the sauce highly flavored. Definitely a "hit" in the North End and would return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyedNHanVIPDined on 10/10/2014Great food, good service. Overall very pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great servicetimberlinDined on 10/10/2014Service was fast, friendly and spot on. Our server recommended a stuffed veal chop that was delicious and made for a wonderful dining experience. The bar scene was lively and vibrant but did not interfere with our cozy table for two. Having a reservation on a busy Friday night was a mustSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- North End Gemluv2vacaDined on 10/10/2014I lived in the north end for 6 years so every chance I get I go back and each time I try a different restaurant. Nico was my choice this evening. We had a reservation, were seated immediately by friendly staff, our waiter was attentive, funny, & knowledgable. Our meals were impeccable, the ambience was upbeat & fun. Could not have been more pleased. Nico is a must if visiting the North End, a gem for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great North End ExperienceLMPRXDined on 10/9/2014I was in town for a professiobal society meeting and had to take a few clients out to dinner. I am not a Bostonian and needed to book a dinner with just a few days notice. I found that NICO was available, within my price range and the reviews looked good. I was not disapointed. i ahd the Crespelles, an Italian crepe filled to the brim with lobster and a luscious sauce. My clients had a risotto and scrimp dish and my other client went for the eggplant parmesean and they both raved about it. Our server Bruno was perfect! I would say that the portions are large as all three of us took home a to go box, otherwise, I was quite satisfied and will definitely visit again as this place has the authentic ambience I was looking for in the North End.Special Features:
- Fabulous food and service!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014i tried this restaurant based on its reviews and it did not disappoint! Starting with the bread and olive oil with olives in it, moving on to the burrata salad, main meal of truffled mushroom ravioli (amazing) and ending with a chocolate ganache dessert, it was absolutely fantastic. Our waiter was attentive and made great recommendations. My new favorite!Special Features:
- Definitely worth a tryMorgan228Dined on 10/6/2014My husband and I were in town for a concert and had a wonderful dinner at Nico. We had a lovely table at the window with a bird's eye view of the local firehouse. It was fun to watch the firefighters waiting patiently and interacting with the people walking by. Had a great bottle of wine and 2 delicious entrees. Tyler took excellent care of us. We can't wait to go back!Special Features:
- Excellent food and atmosphereNicoleDined on 10/4/2014The food was excellent. I had the best meatball ever. The atmosphere was energetic yet ideal for a romantic dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The bargz234Dined on 10/3/2014This place has an upstairs and a downstairs. We were seated up stairs and it was kind of small. The tables were too small to have a water class and a drink on the same table with food. It was cramped and tight but the bar was really nice and lively. I would recommend the north end mojito it was amazing. The food was good but it wasn't very impressing but overal the experience was good and service was great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/3/2014Great food, but very noisy. A small restaurant that also has seating in the basement that is a little drafty.Special Features:
- Huge portionsWellfedDined on 10/1/2014Although the food was very good, there was a very big jump in their regular menu to their daily specials. When everything else is in the $18-22 range, a daily special of $45 is not cool when you don't tell your patrons in advance. I would advise not ordering both a starter and a main unless you want to bring home a doggie bag.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great as always!DDddDined on 9/30/2014We were meeting relatives from Australia that we'd never met before so wanted a special place and Nico proved a perfect choice. The food was excellent - as always!Special Features:
- Wonderful and AuthenticMaida53Dined on 9/30/2014This is a fabulous restaurant, authentic Italian fare and authentic Italian servers! The food is delicious and the servings plentiful enough to bring some home! The bar is also a very nice dining option!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MarcelDined on 9/26/2014Seated immediately, service excellent,we had pasta ,chicken ,wine , all terrific. We will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againdatenightDined on 9/26/2014I found this place to be outstanding. The food was cook to perfection and the service was impeccable. Will definitely be back.Special Features:
- A disappointing dining experiencebuckeyefoodieDined on 9/24/2014We were seated over half an hour AFTER our reservation time (We had confirmed this reservation) in a basement dining room on a beautiful Boston night when the upstairs dining room had the windows wide open. Our table for two was cramped and butted up against some strange curtained area that we hoped covered up a fire exit. Our waiter did a fair job, but never uttered that first word about specials. My lobster ravioli in a pink sauce really didn't taste like lobster at all; the sauce was oddly acidic and a bit sour. My spouse's spaghetti carbonara was really just their fettuccini Alfredo with some sort of bacon-like substance on it; it didn't taste bad -- it just wasn't carbonara. We can't recommend this place nor will we ever return.
- Monday Night at NicoLovesDiningOutDined on 9/22/2014Fairly busy atmosphere for a Monday night of dining in the North End. Could not have been any happier with our choice of Nico. Both dinners were delicious and wait staff was informative and personable. Beautiful night so that the windows were open to the street allowing excellent people watching. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- North End PerfectionshszafDined on 9/20/2014Cozy seating on the lower level provided opportunity for intimate, relaxing meal orchestrated by a friendly professional waitperson and his partnered busboy who was equally attentive throughout. The food was exceptional; the surprise birthday tiramisu was a delightful conclusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindItalian22Dined on 9/20/2014A little bit farther down hanover street, this restaurant is a great find. Everyone is not crammed in like the standard north end experience, but the food is just as good. Best atmosphere I've experienced in the north end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returned to an old friendPeterADined on 9/20/2014I was visiting Boston and returned to Nico's after having enjoyed it when I lived there in the past. It was very good, as I remembered. The food is fabulous. Our waiter was friendly and helpful; my friend received the wrong salad, but before we could call, Bruno was there and fixed the problem. It's also an excellent value. The only negative is the noise level; it was very difficult to have a conversation. I am glad I came back to Nico's and will strongly consider it in my future visits.Special Features:
- Nicely Done!blarondeVIPDined on 9/20/2014We has heard good things and were all happily pleased! It was a perfect day to enjoy a table at the open front of the house, and the lobster ravioli was just right. Service was spot on, and other diners seated near us seemed just as enthusiastic about their meals. (It was easy to hear them, as tables are North End-style close). Note that the rest room is downstairs, and I recommend that an upstairs table be reserved; I would not enjoy eating in the lower level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerKat12Dined on 9/16/2014We had a great dinner the other night at Nico. The service, food, wine, and atmosphere were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceRaleighGirlDined on 9/13/2014This is the best place to eat in the North End. I'm almost hesitant to write this because I don't want it to turn into Giacomo's waiting list. Best dish is the rigatoni a la sal.Special Features:
- Nice find in the north endjam1231Dined on 9/13/2014We had a very nice server. There is a nice cocktail list and a small list of beers, along with a large wine list. the nico stinger and pink lemonade cocktails were very good. the arancini appetizer was delicious. I ordered the pasta special, which was braciole, meatball, and sausage with rigatoni. So much food and so delicious. I am picky about red sauce but this might the best I have had in the north end. Others ordered linguine with clam sauce (red), lobster ravioli, and chicken saltimbocca, all very good. It's not as cramped as other north end restaurants, but not especially spacious, and a little noisy, but I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great for a groupSismaDined on 9/12/2014We were visiting from California with a large groups - 14. The serve was very so friendly and very attentive - this was actually the only place we had a friendly waiter. The food was great. It was fun with lots of laughing at the surrounding tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remdawgsmomDined on 9/12/2014We had a cousin visiting from California for the weekend, and 4 adults wanted a great experience in the North End last Friday night. Nico's did not disappoint! Wonderful meal, a perfect bottle of wine recommended by our waiter (so good we ordered a second bottle), and a terrific evening catching up with a cousin and her husband who live far away. Wandered over to Mike's Pastry for dessert. Magical evening.Special Features: