417 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177420404x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday, 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Nico
Whaddayaget when you cross the koolest new nightspot in Boston with the biggest, best, most delicious meatballs in the Northend? Answer: Nico Ristorante. This two-floor restaurant is the brain child of noted Boston Restaurateur Nick Varano, owner of the highly-esteemed Strega Ristorante on Hanover Street. The boldly colored interior is a perfect backdrop for the exciting, superlative, classic Italian fare and innovative creations. The kitchen is under the direction and wizardry of Nico's celebrated chef Salvatore Firicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
188 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (114)fit for foodies (85)special occasion (79)romantic (79)notable wine list (41)hot spot (20)good for groups (16)scenic view (13)vibrant bar scene (11)great for lunch (11)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (9)great for brunch (5)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- Great ItalianBatman1966VIPDined on 8/26/2014Food was fantastic and so was the service - highly recommend.Special Features:
- Benissimo!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/25/2014Great restaurant week dining! All of the food was superb, and we felt that we could relax and enjoy dining. Great seafood dishes. The staff were gracious and attentive. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Worth the trip to BostonMontroseFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014This was my first trip to Boston & a good friend from D.C. recommended Nico. It was a fantastic experience. The bartender made a special "drink" for my 4 yr old out of juices and served it in a "big girl" glass, which made my daughter very happy. We ordered salads. The prosciutto & melon was very good. My daughter had a Caesar, which was good but not notable. My main dish was a mixed seafood special with pasta in a white wine garlic sauce. It was amazing. The dish included lobster, calamari, shrimp, scallops, clams & mussels ... all fresh, flavorful, & tender. My sister had rigatoni with scallops, shrimp, & peas in alfredo sauce, which she loved. My only less than positive comment was that the waiters could have been more enthusiastic.Special Features:
- North End TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/24/2014Nico was a wonderful lunch for my our large family lunch. I don't live in Boston and love to get to the North End when I am back with my boyfriend and his family. The food was delicious- best Calamari ever! The meatballs are superb, I have to try and replicate but know I won't be able to, tender, and delicious. The olives in the olive oil with bread was so good. The entire family loved it and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Several Steps Above Ordinary ItaljcziiVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went to Nico with my wife. Reservation was in an hour, so let them know we were there and wanted to hang at the bar. It was very crowded so we went to a different bar. We got back at our reservation time and they sat us right away. We sat on main floor. It was what you would expect for an Italian restaurant in the North End so I liked it. I heard the basement was not where you want to be so I may have had a different experience if I was seated down there. The menu was traditional Italian, but the flavors were fantastic. How do you make ordinary spaghetti and meatballs so delicious, but it was. Meatballs made out of ground veal and wild mushrooms. We also had chicken parmesan. The most tender chicken I every had. Excellent. Sauce outstandingSpecial Features:
- Good means good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014This is a solid good restaurant.....not great.....but that is not a put down. Good is good! Our waiter was terrfic. The service was prompt. The portions generous and the food is very good. The prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fist time...Not the last !Table3restaurantgroupDined on 8/23/2014Traditional Italian food that was just simply delicious. All four of us loved our meals. Red sauce was the best I have had in quite some time. Great service from Hakim, solid wine list, meals were timed perfectly. Despite the small size of the restaurant, a busy Saturday night, people waiting to be seated, we never felt pressured or rushed. If you have a jones for some great Italian food there is no shortage of options in the North End ...but you won't be sorry if you chose Nico !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food friendly serviceJimGDined on 8/22/2014Made reservation got seated immediately by the open window nice wine list reasonably priced the waiter was very accomodating to the kids and offered to make us anyrhing we were in the mood for. The food was excellent will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AbbyDined on 8/21/2014First time at Nico and the food and service were both outstanding. We will return.Special Features:
- Fantastic Boston North End FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/21/2014Nico's Restaurant provides a wonderful virtual trip to Italy. The food is excellent, including specials such as Chef's Pasta with Lobster, and their version of Frutti di Mare. In addition, the Vitello alla Parmigiana is perfect, as is their famous Lobster Ravioli in Pink Sauce. They have a comparable list of fine vintages to enjoy with your food selections. Finally, all of the staff are very friendly, from the hostess who takes you telephone reservation and seats you upon your arrival, the bartender who prepares your favorite cocktail, the professional wait staff who are always willing to make useful suggestions, to the back waiters who keep your water glasses refilled. This is the only Boston restaurant that my wife and I will ever need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nico's Restaurant North End Bostondaisy2bDined on 8/18/2014Great fin, service was excellent, it was my husbands birthday and unsolicited the hostess sent over a lemon cello to finish over our meal. Food was great and served timely.Special Features:
- Delish!Shelly27Dined on 8/17/2014First visit to Boston and to Little Italy. Food at Nico's was wonderful, delicious and the servers were great! Would definitely recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Would not recommendSophiaDined on 8/16/2014Experience was mediocre at best. We were hoping for a seat in the main dining area for an open air experience but instead, were seated in the basement which is dark and claustrophobic. We found the food to be uninspired and ordinary. The "special" was a variety of meats that evoked the sense of something hauled out of a freezer and covered in sauce. Service was adequate. Perhaps it was just a bad night but we will not be returning.
- Fantastic find!mommcoDined on 8/16/2014On a recent trip to Italy, a member of our group who used to live in the North End told us that if we wanted to eat at a restaurant having comparable food to what we were eating in Italy, to go to Nico's. She was absolutely correct! Each of our party of six felt that their selection was superb. The buffalo mozzarella on the Caprese salad melted in our mouth, just like in Italy. The service was exceptional. And the restaurant was very accommodating to us for being late due to major unforeseen delays on the T. A great dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30 min wait for reserved tableMassPikeDined on 8/15/2014I like Nico a lot. I've eaten there twice, and have found it reasonable, with a excellent wine selection, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, and - of course - great food. I'd go again. My only criticism relates to my reservation. I made a dinner reservation for 3 using OpenTable. However, upon arriving (about 5 minutes late), we still had to wait over 30 minutes for our table. Fortunately, we weren't in a hurry and it was a nice night, but a 30 minute wait outside for a reserved table - even for a busy Friday evening - is unacceptable. I hope it was a one-off, or Nico does a better job handling reservations in the future.
- RockyDined on 8/15/2014Great place the food is excellent vive la bouffe italienneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope to get back againhanktooDined on 8/15/2014Usually I like to try someplace different especially when I am travelling. However, Nico's is just so good I can't stay away when I am in Boston. It is in the North End section where it is hard to go wrong, but even at that it stands out. Service and food are always great.Special Features:
- not for hat loversBarbyVIPDined on 8/15/2014Didn't start off well after being asked to remove hats, (as per so called dress code). We are a middle aged brother and sister, dressed conventionally. I like to wear stylish hats and this was the first time I was ever asked to remove one. We ate upstairs, not near a window, so the ambience was minimal. Despite these slights, the Chilean Sea Bass was delicious. Both this and the Spaghetti and Meatball dinner my brother ordered were generous portions, but the marinara on his dish was bland, and the dish was, at best, average. The wait staff was polite and appropriately attentive.
- Great North End RestaurantBrady1Dined on 8/12/2014food was delicious and our table was perfectly situated by the opened first floor window. Great service!Special Features:
- Happy BirthdayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/12/2014Party of 3 for a 60th birthday celebration. Had to call 3 times to change the reservation and the hostess, Katie couldn't have been sweeter. Had a wonderful dinner with prompt exceptional service. Couldn't have had a better eveningSpecial Features:
- BeachfolksDined on 8/9/2014We will definetly be back... thoroughly enjoyed this restaurant. Great staff and great food.. Beachfolks.Special Features:
- Excellent foodTandCDined on 8/7/2014Great food and good service in a nice North End location. The food portions wer enormous. Would love to see slightly less food and lower expense for the experience.Special Features:
- LovinBoston2014Dined on 8/6/2014Food was excellent.... Hostess was very attentive and so was the wait staff.... My favorite place to eat in BostonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful SurpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 8/5/2014We booked a table for 5 last minute not knowing what to expect. It was everything you could ask for as a tourist eating Italian on the North Side. As we finished a five part acapella group sang. It was memorable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent ItalianSjbeatsDined on 8/3/2014This was a great find out of a large number of possibilities in Boston's Italian North End. From the evidently home-made bread through the appetizer and the entrees, each course was perfectly cooked and attractively presented. Well rounded wine list and the service was both friendly and respectful. My companions were native Italians in the restaurant business and we were all very impressed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful lunchDvrdinerDined on 8/3/2014My husband and I had lunch here and it was fantastic. First, they take reservations, so that was good because we do not like to stand in line for a long time, which can happen around here. For the North End, the size of the restaurant was roomy. We had the special appetizer, prosciutto, arugula, grilled artichokes, tomatoes, mozarrella: delicious! It was really a large portion, so for two people I would only order one to share, and then entrees, which were also a hearty portion. I had the spaghetti and calamari, and he had the special frutti di mare with pasta. Service and food excellent. I would definitely try to to back for dinner.Special Features:
- mbn5Dined on 8/2/2014We had a group of 5 and everyone loved their meals! The food was fantastic and the service was outstanding! Such a great experience, I would highly recommend Nico!Special Features:
- Perfect Italian dinnerGoodfoodies88Dined on 8/1/2014Wonderful food! We had a a salad special with delicious fresh tomatoes, a shrimp special with zucchini, the carbonara, and the spaghetti with bolognese sauce. We took the wine recommendation and were not disappointed. The service was attentive but not intrusive. They knew we were from out-of-town and thus would not be regulars, but they went out of their way to give us a great dinner. We'll go back whenever we are in Boston. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I can't wait to go backPortlandDined on 8/1/2014One of the most memorable meals I've had in the North End. The pasta was wonderful. The burratta was delicious and the meatballs were probably the best I've ever had. Service was very friendly and they treated my 7 year old daughter so kindly. With so many wonderful choices in the North End it stands out. I can't wait to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- friendbdayDined on 7/31/2014The food and service were excellent. I sat at the bar and enjoyed the activity outdoors at the fire house across the street and the feast preparations beginning that night. Cannot wait to return.Special Features:
- Great food and wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/30/2014The staff at Nico made us feel great on our 3-year wedding anniversary. Kendra and Tyler were excellent, amicable, and professional. The food was great: try the linguine+clams, it was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Buttons209VIPDined on 7/30/2014The best linguine with clams I ever had. It was great atmosphere and wait staff was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food, Great serviceBeijosDotDined on 7/28/2014I have enjoyed meals at Strega (same owner)on several occasions so thought I was curious to try this smaller, more intimate eatery. Excellent menu -- homemade burrata, pasta, etc. and delightful wine list. The service was thoughtful, well informed and attentive. Easy to have a conversation even though the restaurant was full. Windows opened to the street which was great on a summer evening.Special Features:
- Awesome Dinner !!!BigDukeSixDined on 7/27/2014I went to Nico's for a nice romantic dinner with my girlfriend to celebrate our 2nd anniversary. The staff reserved a lovely table for us at the front of the restaurant overlooking the street. While waiting for our table, we sat at the bar and enjoyed a couple of cocktails while we discussed the menu with the bartender who was fantastic with her demeanor and recommendations. For dinner we split a fantastic caprese style salad but was a special for the day and then we also split a surf and turf which was a 10 ounce filet and a lobster tail stuffed with all kinds of seafood and had the lobster meat also.. I can't say enough about the staff, the food, and the experience at Nico's. When I'm back in Boston, I'll be back at Nico's... !Special Features:
- Delish!kbeansVIPDined on 7/24/2014I was in Boston for the evening, walked up to this cute restaurant and had an amazing dinner. Our server, Bruno, was polite and he had extensive knowledge of both the menu and wine list. He was especially sweet to my 10 year old daughter. I ordered chicken parmesan and it was one of the best I've ever had. Hand made pasta, delicate sauce, generous portion. If I'm ever back in Boston, I'll be at Nico! Enjoy!!!Special Features:
- North End FindAshvEdVIPDined on 7/22/2014Took our granddaughter here while on vacation in Boston. Food was quite good and generous portions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RokoVIPDined on 7/21/2014We went here to celebrate my friends birthday. We had a great table, excellent service and awesome food. I really don't like veal very much but the waiter suggested the special and it was the best veal I ever ate!!! The sangria was amazing also!! We loved this restaurant and will definitely go back.Special Features:
- A Great FindBrooklynFoodieDined on 7/21/2014We had a wonderful dinner. Good food. Great fried calamari served with a spicy sauce rather than the standard red sauce. Very good job with the standard southern Italian dishes. The waiter was wonderful. Recommended a nice glass of wine and went out of his way to find something my 16 year-old son would enjoy for dessert even though it wasn't on the menu. We were treated like old friends even though it was our first time at Nico. We look forward to our next visit.Special Features:
- PerfectIrishblueDined on 7/20/2014My husband and I went to Nico's to celebrate our anniversary. We had never been there before, but we will definitely be back. The hostess was friendly and sweet and we got a seat right at the window, she took our picture with my phone and was so pleasant. Our waiter was also welcoming, knowledgable and friendly. My husband and I both ordered the chicken parmigiana and it was delicious. The atmosphere, food and staff made our night extra special.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great time had by allAlMichele84VIPDined on 7/20/2014We went to Nico after several hours of researching North End restaurants - and it paid off big time. The staff was inviting, attentive and friendly. The food was fantastic, our group of six could have not been more pleased. We will be back for sure.Special Features: