417 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicoboston.com/
- Phone: (617) 742-0404
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday, 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Nico
Whaddayaget when you cross the koolest new nightspot in Boston with the biggest, best, most delicious meatballs in the Northend? Answer: Nico Ristorante. This two-floor restaurant is the brain child of noted Boston Restaurateur Nick Varano, owner of the highly-esteemed Strega Ristorante on Hanover Street. The boldly colored interior is a perfect backdrop for the exciting, superlative, classic Italian fare and innovative creations. The kitchen is under the direction and wizardry of Nico's celebrated chef Salvatore Firicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
250 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (143)fit for foodies (122)romantic (98)special occasion (82)notable wine list (75)hot spot (22)good for groups (19)vibrant bar scene (16)late-night find (11)kid-friendly (9)scenic view (7)great for lunch (6)great for outdoor dining (5)great for brunch (3)Show More
- Nico experienceClubwebDined on 11/18/2014Always great food that is served steamy hot and excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent italian food, not the best in North end.KimleblancDined on 11/17/2014The ratings at open table were great, that's why we chose this restaurant. As a starter we shared the antipasti. Average ham, average salami, tasteless mozzarella, average cheeses and even with two, the portion was too large. Not at all an antipasti you get in Italy. As a main Į had a lobster ravioli, this was actually good, the taste was nice, it needed a little salt but rather that than too salty. My partner had a nice spaghetti with meatballs and tomatosauce, he liked it very much. We combined everything with a nice Chianti. Server was great. Overall: it's a nice place with decent pasta, not the best in North End though.Special Features:
- RetirementRetiredDined on 11/17/2014Spent an early evening at Nico celebrating a retirement. The food and service was excellent. Our server suggested a few items that sound great however we decided not to try since we had our hearts bound for specific items. Maybe next time. Thank you Nico'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nico was a good!MarieDined on 11/15/2014Stuffed mozzarella appetizer was delicious. Just wish the waiter would have told us not to order salads since the app had plenty of greens served with it. Dinners were also good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Food was good but service was so bad that I will not be going back.
- Truly EnjoyableMayorKazDined on 11/13/2014My wife and I visit Boston regularly and each time we have dinner at Nico's. The service, hospitality, and dinner are outstanding. We highly recommend dinner at Nico's as it will never disappoint!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food!4thcliffDined on 11/11/2014We had a large group and a tight timeline. The food was, as always, amazing. We had the meatball appetizer which is incredible. Our waiter had a slight 'tude that was a little offputting but you can't beat the food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just okOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/10/2014Our meal was just ok. I was hoping for a real experience in the North End. I'll therefore seek another option next time.
- Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/9/2014We visited Sunday at 6 PM and by 6:30 the place was full. The waiter was friendly and helpful and I had veal saltimbocca with a glass of Morellino di Scansano. The selection of wines by the glass was very good for such a small restaurant. The only downer was the loud, obnoxious football fans (three of them) yelling while watching the game at the bar which was right next to our table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One good one badgreatdineDined on 11/8/2014we were late due to traffic for our reservation and the hostess was excellent in getting us a seat. The sever was very attentive. I had a dish that was Pasta with Scallops and Shrimp in a cream sauce and it was excellent. My girlfriend had the lobster ravioli and it was terrible. No lobster, a very ordinary sauce and no taste at all. Would not recommend.
- GREAT SERVICESD760Dined on 11/7/2014I go to school in Boston and when my parents visit we come here every time, we all enjoy it so much but I cannot afford it without them! haha. We love the food, it is excellent but the service is beyond excellent... I can honestly say it is the best service I have ever experienced at a restaurant. Everytime we have come here Hakim Jabrani makes our experience unforgettable!Special Features:
- the best on HanoverFoodhunterDined on 11/7/2014A great meeting place for our group, and not too noisy. The dining experience was excellent food and service. This was our first time dining at Nico, and it was more than we expected. very creative, and beautiful presentation. Love it, and will visiting again soon.Special Features:
- ExcellentJb4pVIPDined on 11/3/2014Excellent food and fantastic service- portions very generous. Will absolutely recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Would definitely go backCbo79Dined on 11/3/2014It was a nice place,the staff was very attentive. Small but romantic setting and the food was great would definitely go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingLocalboy2Dined on 11/1/2014Just a disappointing night all around and much less than expected. We were seated at a small table squeezed in between the window and the bar. The small table was fine and the street view helped but people standing at the bar were backing up almost into our table. The staff was fine, attentive. The meal was the issue. How is it possible to get warm veal and ice cold potatoes on the same plate? We complained to the waiter who was apologetic and brought out another plate of potatoes which turned out to be equally cold. The warm food was average at best, just not what I expected from a Varano establishment. Dozens of better spots in the north end, no reason to go back.Special Features:
- Special Nite..GordyVIPDined on 11/1/2014The food was even better than we thought it would be! The Meatballs are to die for! The seard scalops were delicious and a large protion! We shared dinner ... Vitello Scallopini with the best brown marsala sause we have ever had... Just question having potatoes in an Italian restauant?? Linguini would have been better... but we should have noticed... now you will!! Very attentive prompt service thruout and the valet service was excellent as well!!Special Features:
- Disappointing for the cost2kidzonthegoVIPDined on 11/1/2014We are huge fans of Italian food - and overall, dinner was disappointing. We ordered the calamari which was the best thing we had and the parmigiana and proscuitto which was fine, nothing special. My son had the veal parm which was overcooked and nothing special. I had the duck ravioli and while the pasta was good as was the prosecco sauce, the duck was dry and ruined the whole meal. My husband and daughter shared the shrimp & scallop stuffed 2-lb lobster...the lobster was good, but the stuffing was really stuffing and nothing great at all. Finally, we had desserts (celebrating my birthday) and they were all good - but again, nothing fabulous. I don't think we will be back.
- fantastic foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/1/2014It is a little on the pricier side but most north end restaurants arent cheap. The lobster ravioli is too die for! The spaghetti and meatballs was also great. Not being a big meatball fan, I was really impressed.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and serviceHealthspeakerVIPDined on 10/27/2014While we live close by, this was our first trip to Nico. The service was the standout here with very good, carefully prepared food. Typical of the North End, our table for 4 was on the small size but goes along with the experience. Special dietary issues with one guest were addressed with grace and courtesy, something not seen often enough. We will be back.Special Features:
- Great food!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/25/2014Amazing food and great service. Definitely coming back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JimmyDined on 10/25/2014Great food! - service was not so great (staff was not very attentive - I needed to ask for a side dish of pasta I ordered with my meal and we waited an extended period of time to get our bill after we were done).Special Features:
- Great food and superb serviceForTheLoveofFoodDined on 10/25/2014The food was delicious and the specials they had to offer were amazing. Especially the pumpkin ravioli. Great place for date if you ask me. I'm a younger guy and it was not overly expensive, had a romantic look to it, and was energetic so that you weren't sitting in awkward silence but werent yelling over everyone either. Really great restaraunt and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A North End FavoriteLovetodineVIPDined on 10/24/2014I think I have tried most of them and although many North End resturants are similar, we like Nico the best. Great food and service. Never had a problem. We dine out often and visit many different cities and we are in Boston, Nico is must. You will not be disappointed.
- Great experienceTravelinderDined on 10/23/2014Nico's food is delicious and portions are good. Nice menu variety. Try the burrata appetizer. Service was excellent and they honored my reservation request for a certain table. Very pleased and will return.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great authentic Italian foodSjiyerDined on 10/23/2014Great food and lovely atmosphere. It was a great done while in a Boston on a business trip.Special Features:
- The Bar experienceClubwebDined on 10/21/2014Service was super from I believe her name was Giana. We alternate between Strega and Nico'm because we enjoy the food and the people that work there.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best meatball evertevea100Dined on 10/18/2014Had the Braciole which included one of there huge meatballs. It was the best meatball I've ever had. Everything else was good also including sauces. Place is noisy though so hard to have a conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JuneDined on 10/18/2014Great night out! The service was excellent and the food was delicious! The ambience and the bar was great, friendly staff! We all enjoyed our meal and would go back in a heart beat!Special Features:
- Nico's RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Great Italian food in the North End. We had a party of 6 (a tough bunch to please) and each person had a different entree - everyone was highly satisfied with their food. It was delicious - we will definitely be back. Waitstaff was excellent and very friendly as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great, as usual!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014One of my FAVORITE North End Restaurants- never disappoints! The food is consistently delicious and the service is attentive. My favorites are the burrata with artichoke heart appetizer and the mushroom ravioli with truffle creme sauce!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 10/16/2014I thought the food and service were fine - nothing incredible. Among a sea of other restaurants in the North End, there is nothing defining (in either a good or bad way) about Nico.Special Features:
- wanderlustDined on 10/14/2014DInner at Nico's was one of the best meals we've had quite a while.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Typical north endPeteyDined on 10/13/2014Service non existent. They must look at all patrons as tourists or one time visitors because no one would return given the rush job and lack of attention. Food was ok - not great Asked a day in advance for table by window. Sat at the door to the kitchen.
- DLS1017Dined on 10/13/2014The food was outstanding and perfectly done. The drinks from the bar were delicious. Would definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food and ServiceDarkstarDined on 10/12/2014Food was excellent. Helpful staff. My daughter and I had a fine meal. Whatever you do, don't stand in line at those over hyped restaurants if you can get a reservation here instead!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine, nothing specialCC6347Dined on 10/12/2014It was nice that I could make a reservation since I'm from out of town and didn't want to spend my night in Boston waiting in a line at some of the other hot spots. We were seated promptly and although I had read mixed reviews of the service, ours was fine. The busboy kept the water glasses filled all night, and was quick to remove our plates. It was a little strange having a bar with televisions in an otherwise romantic establishment. Maybe I'm a snob because my grandmother and mother cook amazing Italian food but I thought this place was only okay. Our favorite was the polpetta (meatball) appetizer, very flavorful. Carbonara was okay, could've used some salt. The chicken dish we had was frankly below par.Special Features:
- Price please!Priccplease1Dined on 10/11/2014We listened to specials and ordered one entree from menu and one from special list. When bill arrived the special was $36!!!!!! I asked the waiter why he did not advise of the price and he said some are offended! Well, all places I frequent provide the price as a matter of course when reciting specials. Food was good. Service was ok, once we were seated about 20-25 minutes late, but we were not prepared for the bill showing the special cost twice as much as what was ordered off the menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/11/2014The service and the food were wonderful. Would definitely return and recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nico magnifico!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/11/2014My daughter was home this Columbus Day weekend from college and was craving a cannoli from a famous bakery in the North End. We figured we'd try a new place to have dinner while there and found Nico on line at Open Table. Although they did not have a vegetarian option on the menu, our waiter made a couple of suggestions for one of the members of our party and the dish was fabulous. The double cut pork chop was perhaps the best tasting dish I've had out. The kids had chicken parm and said it was delicious. A perfect experience and we will certainly be back.Special Features:
- Why Make a ReservationNorthEndDDined on 10/10/2014I had a reservation Friday night, I arrived early, I waited in line for a half hour, and by the time I was at the front Nico gave my table away to someone else... I then got Dunkin Donuts sandwiches for dinner Friday night. I live in the North End, and whenever someone asks me where to get good food, my answer will forever be: "Anywhere but Nico."