417 Hanover Street
Boston, MA 02113Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicoboston.com/
- Phone: 6177420404x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Saturday & Sunday, 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Dinner: Sunday - Thursday, 4:00pm - 11:00pm
Dinner: Friday & Saturday, 4:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian
- Executive Chef: Salvatore Firicano.
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Entertainment, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Entertainment: Join us on Tuesday nights for Street Magic!
A word from Nico
Whaddayaget when you cross the koolest new nightspot in Boston with the biggest, best, most delicious meatballs in the Northend? Answer: Nico Ristorante. This two-floor restaurant is the brain child of noted Boston Restaurateur Nick Varano, owner of the highly-esteemed Strega Ristorante on Hanover Street. The boldly colored interior is a perfect backdrop for the exciting, superlative, classic Italian fare and innovative creations. The kitchen is under the direction and wizardry of Nico's celebrated chef Salvatore Firicano.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked 1000-Point Tables
Nico reviews from OpenTable diners
217 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (130)fit for foodies (101)romantic (91)special occasion (87)notable wine list (54)hot spot (23)good for groups (16)vibrant bar scene (13)scenic view (13)great for lunch (12)kid-friendly (10)late-night find (9)great for brunch (4)great for outdoor dining (4)Show More
- North End PerfectionshszafDined on 9/20/2014Cozy seating on the lower level provided opportunity for intimate, relaxing meal orchestrated by a friendly professional waitperson and his partnered busboy who was equally attentive throughout. The food was exceptional; the surprise birthday tiramisu was a delightful conclusion.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great FindOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014A little bit farther down hanover street, this restaurant is a great find. Everyone is not crammed in like the standard north end experience, but the food is just as good. Best atmosphere I've experienced in the north end.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Returned to an old friendOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014I was visiting Boston and returned to Nico's after having enjoyed it when I lived there in the past. It was very good, as I remembered. The food is fabulous. Our waiter was friendly and helpful; my friend received the wrong salad, but before we could call, Bruno was there and fixed the problem. It's also an excellent value. The only negative is the noise level; it was very difficult to have a conversation. I am glad I came back to Nico's and will strongly consider it in my future visits.Special Features:
- Nicely Done!blarondeVIPDined on 9/20/2014We has heard good things and were all happily pleased! It was a perfect day to enjoy a table at the open front of the house, and the lobster ravioli was just right. Service was spot on, and other diners seated near us seemed just as enthusiastic about their meals. (It was easy to hear them, as tables are North End-style close). Note that the rest room is downstairs, and I recommend that an upstairs table be reserved; I would not enjoy eating in the lower level.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent dinnerKat12Dined on 9/16/2014We had a great dinner the other night at Nico. The service, food, wine, and atmosphere were excellent!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceRaleighGirlDined on 9/13/2014This is the best place to eat in the North End. I'm almost hesitant to write this because I don't want it to turn into Giacomo's waiting list. Best dish is the rigatoni a la sal.Special Features:
- Nice find in the north endjam1231Dined on 9/13/2014We had a very nice server. There is a nice cocktail list and a small list of beers, along with a large wine list. the nico stinger and pink lemonade cocktails were very good. the arancini appetizer was delicious. I ordered the pasta special, which was braciole, meatball, and sausage with rigatoni. So much food and so delicious. I am picky about red sauce but this might the best I have had in the north end. Others ordered linguine with clam sauce (red), lobster ravioli, and chicken saltimbocca, all very good. It's not as cramped as other north end restaurants, but not especially spacious, and a little noisy, but I will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great for a groupOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/12/2014We were visiting from California with a large groups - 14. The serve was very so friendly and very attentive - this was actually the only place we had a friendly waiter. The food was great. It was fun with lots of laughing at the surrounding tables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- remdawgsmomDined on 9/12/2014We had a cousin visiting from California for the weekend, and 4 adults wanted a great experience in the North End last Friday night. Nico's did not disappoint! Wonderful meal, a perfect bottle of wine recommended by our waiter (so good we ordered a second bottle), and a terrific evening catching up with a cousin and her husband who live far away. Wandered over to Mike's Pastry for dessert. Magical evening.Special Features:
- Fantistic food & great serviceKellyIVIPDined on 9/9/2014We enjoyed a fantastic meal at Nico. The wine list was very nice with great Italian wines. The service was very attentive. Great window seat with fresh air but not too cold. We started by sharing a Caprese Salad and it was fresh with the perfect balance of tomato, basil and mozzarella. Second course was the carbonara and chicken primavera. it was all amazing. We will go back next time we are in Boston!Special Features:
- Great Find!!MikeinKnoxDined on 9/7/2014My wife and I stumbled onto Nico's for our 34th anniversary. Saw some mixed reviews but took the chance. Our server was extremely knowledgeable and attentive, we never wanted for anything. The night we were there they had a seafood special, sort of a bouillabaisse with a spicy broth which was excellent. Extensive wine list that was also a bit pricey. Only thing I would recommend to the would be dinner is to not sit in the lower level (basement) of the restaurant. We enjoyed our street level view. Overall this was a top notch experience.Special Features:
- Wonderful!Scooter1056VIPDined on 9/3/2014Went to Nico on a recent Wednesday evening while in Boston. Had only read open table recommendations -- they were correct! We had an 8 pm reservation but they were unable to seat us in the street level dining room at that time. After a brief wait, we were seated and had a fabulous meal. The appetizer of tomatoes, fresh, house-made mozzarella and procuitto was so simple, but so delicious. Glad we shared because the portion was large. The veal chop was the best I've ever tasted. The mixed wild mushroom ravioli was delicious. Our waiter was excellent. The prices were reasonable. With all of the Italian restaurants on Hanover St., I am glad we selected Nico. If you are in Boston, go, you won't be sorry.Special Features:
- outpostDined on 9/3/2014Excellent food. Highly recommend the parmigian and saltimbocca.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food & Charming ServicejsilverDined on 9/3/2014Wonderful, fresh imaginative specials alongside superb classics. Everyone wins!Special Features:
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2014The food was excellent and reasonably priced. Our server was very friendly and helpful. I would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chicken Parm...amazingeatdrinkbemerry5Dined on 8/31/2014Great restaurant, service was perfect. Ordered the chicken parm and was very impressed. Perfectly crispy but juicy at the same time. If you're in the mood for it you can't pass it up. Lobster raviolis were excellent as well.Special Features:
- NICO Restaurant North End BostonWburnsDined on 8/31/2014NICO is a wonderful Italian Restaurant in Boston's North End....I made a reservation for a party of 6 to celebrate a birthday of a family member. I asked if I could have a special birthday cake made an they had one made and delivered that day for our celebration. I ordered the surf an turf an it was outstanding!!! Filet was cooked to perfection and the lobster tail was stuffed with shrimp and scallops served with a side of mashed potato. The service was great, the staff was very friendly, and everyone had a great meal. I have eaten at several restaurant's in the North End of Boston and this one is ops on my list. " Give it a try, you won't be disappointed"Special Features:
- Great Night Out!rugbysmilesDined on 8/30/2014Food was fantastic and the wait staff was attentive and helpful! The meatball was to die for as was the surf and turf special. The upstair seating is tight but worth it if you want the energetic vibe spilling over from the bar area and Hanover St.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food, good servicewinnieDined on 8/30/2014We were a group of 7, and there was really only one table at Nico's large enough to seat us. Thus, even though we had a reservation for 6:30pm, it was close to 7pm before the group at our table left and we were seated. The hostess was very nice about this, so despite the slow start to our evening at Nico's, it was a great experience. Our server was excellent. He was attentive, but not invasive. His wine recommendations were good and reasonably priced. When one of our meals was prepared incorrectly, he caught it before it came to the table and provided us with a free dessert to make up for the lateness of the corrected meal. The food was the best part by far. I ordered simply spaghetti and meatballs and was very pleased.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So good!goingbackagainDined on 8/30/2014The food was so good! We felt like we were back in Tuscany. The porcini raviolis were so unbelievable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 808stateDined on 8/30/2014Long story short, do not go if you have a party larger than 4 or if you are going with children.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousHappyDined on 8/29/2014Fresh pasta, delicious apps and entrees! The meal was great and the atmosphere was romantic! Love that they take reservations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great ItalianBatman1966VIPDined on 8/26/2014Food was fantastic and so was the service - highly recommend.Special Features:
- Benissimo!LoriDined on 8/25/2014Great restaurant week dining! All of the food was superb, and we felt that we could relax and enjoy dining. Great seafood dishes. The staff were gracious and attentive. I would go back again.Special Features:
- Worth the trip to BostonMontroseFoodieVIPDined on 8/24/2014This was my first trip to Boston & a good friend from D.C. recommended Nico. It was a fantastic experience. The bartender made a special "drink" for my 4 yr old out of juices and served it in a "big girl" glass, which made my daughter very happy. We ordered salads. The prosciutto & melon was very good. My daughter had a Caesar, which was good but not notable. My main dish was a mixed seafood special with pasta in a white wine garlic sauce. It was amazing. The dish included lobster, calamari, shrimp, scallops, clams & mussels ... all fresh, flavorful, & tender. My sister had rigatoni with scallops, shrimp, & peas in alfredo sauce, which she loved. My only less than positive comment was that the waiters could have been more enthusiastic.Special Features:
- North End TreasureAllyinTXDined on 8/24/2014Nico was a wonderful lunch for my our large family lunch. I don't live in Boston and love to get to the North End when I am back with my boyfriend and his family. The food was delicious- best Calamari ever! The meatballs are superb, I have to try and replicate but know I won't be able to, tender, and delicious. The olives in the olive oil with bread was so good. The entire family loved it and we will definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Several Steps Above Ordinary ItaljcziiVIPDined on 8/23/2014Went to Nico with my wife. Reservation was in an hour, so let them know we were there and wanted to hang at the bar. It was very crowded so we went to a different bar. We got back at our reservation time and they sat us right away. We sat on main floor. It was what you would expect for an Italian restaurant in the North End so I liked it. I heard the basement was not where you want to be so I may have had a different experience if I was seated down there. The menu was traditional Italian, but the flavors were fantastic. How do you make ordinary spaghetti and meatballs so delicious, but it was. Meatballs made out of ground veal and wild mushrooms. We also had chicken parmesan. The most tender chicken I every had. Excellent. Sauce outstandingSpecial Features:
- Good means good!OpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/23/2014This is a solid good restaurant.....not great.....but that is not a put down. Good is good! Our waiter was terrfic. The service was prompt. The portions generous and the food is very good. The prices are reasonable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fist time...Not the last !Table3restaurantgroupDined on 8/23/2014Traditional Italian food that was just simply delicious. All four of us loved our meals. Red sauce was the best I have had in quite some time. Great service from Hakim, solid wine list, meals were timed perfectly. Despite the small size of the restaurant, a busy Saturday night, people waiting to be seated, we never felt pressured or rushed. If you have a jones for some great Italian food there is no shortage of options in the North End ...but you won't be sorry if you chose Nico !Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food friendly serviceJimGDined on 8/22/2014Made reservation got seated immediately by the open window nice wine list reasonably priced the waiter was very accomodating to the kids and offered to make us anyrhing we were in the mood for. The food was excellent will be back soonSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!AbbyDined on 8/21/2014First time at Nico and the food and service were both outstanding. We will return.Special Features:
- Fantastic Boston North End FindMDfoodieDined on 8/21/2014Nico's Restaurant provides a wonderful virtual trip to Italy. The food is excellent, including specials such as Chef's Pasta with Lobster, and their version of Frutti di Mare. In addition, the Vitello alla Parmigiana is perfect, as is their famous Lobster Ravioli in Pink Sauce. They have a comparable list of fine vintages to enjoy with your food selections. Finally, all of the staff are very friendly, from the hostess who takes you telephone reservation and seats you upon your arrival, the bartender who prepares your favorite cocktail, the professional wait staff who are always willing to make useful suggestions, to the back waiters who keep your water glasses refilled. This is the only Boston restaurant that my wife and I will ever need.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nico's Restaurant North End Bostondaisy2bDined on 8/18/2014Great fin, service was excellent, it was my husbands birthday and unsolicited the hostess sent over a lemon cello to finish over our meal. Food was great and served timely.Special Features:
- Delish!Shelly27Dined on 8/17/2014First visit to Boston and to Little Italy. Food at Nico's was wonderful, delicious and the servers were great! Would definitely recommend to friends!Special Features:
- Nico BostonluvfoodDined on 8/17/2014We were looking for a really great Italian restaurant in the neighborhood in Boston's Little Italy. Nico was small but very well laid out. The food was excellent, though the menu not as extensive as I expected. This is not a negative and the choices were amazing! The lobster fettucine was filled with lots of lobster that was fresh and tender!Special Features:
- Would not recommendSophiaDined on 8/16/2014Experience was mediocre at best. We were hoping for a seat in the main dining area for an open air experience but instead, were seated in the basement which is dark and claustrophobic. We found the food to be uninspired and ordinary. The "special" was a variety of meats that evoked the sense of something hauled out of a freezer and covered in sauce. Service was adequate. Perhaps it was just a bad night but we will not be returning.
- Fantastic find!mommcoDined on 8/16/2014On a recent trip to Italy, a member of our group who used to live in the North End told us that if we wanted to eat at a restaurant having comparable food to what we were eating in Italy, to go to Nico's. She was absolutely correct! Each of our party of six felt that their selection was superb. The buffalo mozzarella on the Caprese salad melted in our mouth, just like in Italy. The service was exceptional. And the restaurant was very accommodating to us for being late due to major unforeseen delays on the T. A great dining experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 30 min wait for reserved tableMassPikeDined on 8/15/2014I like Nico a lot. I've eaten there twice, and have found it reasonable, with a excellent wine selection, nice atmosphere, friendly staff, and - of course - great food. I'd go again. My only criticism relates to my reservation. I made a dinner reservation for 3 using OpenTable. However, upon arriving (about 5 minutes late), we still had to wait over 30 minutes for our table. Fortunately, we weren't in a hurry and it was a nice night, but a 30 minute wait outside for a reserved table - even for a busy Friday evening - is unacceptable. I hope it was a one-off, or Nico does a better job handling reservations in the future.
- RockyDined on 8/15/2014Great place the food is excellent vive la bouffe italienneSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hope to get back againhanktooDined on 8/15/2014Usually I like to try someplace different especially when I am travelling. However, Nico's is just so good I can't stay away when I am in Boston. It is in the North End section where it is hard to go wrong, but even at that it stands out. Service and food are always great.Special Features: