Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark
One Center Street
Newark, NJ 07102Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicokitchenbar.com/
- Phone: 9736421226x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday
Dinner: Monday - Friday
Monday through Thursday until 9pm
Friday until 11pm
Saturdays and Sundays in conjunction with the performances only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ryan DePersio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any event from office breakfasts, lunches or dinners, private parties, corporate events, weddings or Bar/Bat Mitzvahs
A word from Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark
NICO Kitchen + Bar, the “Italian without Borders” restaurant concept from celebrated New Jersey Chef Ryan DePersio of Fascino and Bar Cara fame, is located in downtown Newark at NJPAC. Known for its power lunch week days, sophisticated happy hour, and contemporary, “shared plates” offerings, it also provides a delicious prelude to guests attending performances by offering a value-priced prix fixe menu before every curtain.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (15)special occasion (13)fit for foodies (11)great for lunch (10)neighborhood gem (10)vibrant bar scene (6)hot spot (6)notable wine list (5)romantic (3)late-night find (2)great for outdoor dining (1)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Steer away from Pre Fixe menu.FOODIEDined on 10/17/2014We went pre-show and the only option preshow is a prefix menu, which seemed to have been prepared before we ordered. The food is great if you can go when there isn't a show about to start and you can order from the regular dinner menu. Our waitress was very accommodating when they didn't have the drink I ordered. She gave me other option I wanted no charge.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014If you are in a rush before the show, Nico has an affordable white table cloth meal with drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concert ConvenientLettuceloverDined on 10/10/2014If you are a subscriber to the NJSO at NJPAC, you arelucky to have Nico Kitchen and Bar in the same building. With parking across the street, this is a perfect dinner and concert evening. four of us met for dinner, all enjoyed our meals.Special Features:
- service, service, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/10/2014There must be a large turnover of employees because you never see the same faces. The place is usually empty, but they have trouble getting us all out in time for the performance. Our desserts were served first! When we requested more bread it came without butter. The cesear salad was bland as were the arancini crab balls. The bronzini was very tasty. It annoys me to have to order dessert with my meal.
- Need to improve speed of serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014It took an hour for the first course and we missed dessert to get Into the show on time. Good was excellent but needs improvement on time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with Easy ParkingNJRealtorDined on 10/9/2014I was looking for a place (in Newark) to take a client for lunch. I had a few ideas for smaller spots but parking would have been questionable. I chose Nico's and had not only easy parking, but a fresh, well done meal with an attractive atmosphere and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner & PlayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014From bartender to waitress very professional and food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014We had tickets for a show and we gave ourselves an hour and a half to enjoy a meal before the show. Unfortunately, it seems the staff forgot us and we did not get our entrées until 20 minutes before the show started. We did make it to the show and they did give us a small discount on the bill, but the meal would have been better if we didn't have to rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the right placeDannyboyDined on 9/21/2014My second visit to Nico. This restaurant is the reason we go to the NJPAC. Always have a wonderful time, and the service is greatSpecial Features:
- Very Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was awesome, waiters very good, but the entree took way too long to arrive. Had 5:15 pm reservations, arrived on time & everything was moving along nicely & then we had to wait until a few minutes past 6:30 for our entree. Our show started at 7 pm so we had to eat our delicious dinner & dessert very fast, not good. We were given a free round of drinks & a small discount, but I would have preferred more time to eat!Special Features:
- Special ExperienceMaryBDined on 9/21/2014Food was great -- tasty and innovative. Service was impeccable. We have eaten here several times and all were lovely.Special Features:
- Great place before and after a showVisitor1957xxxxxxxxxxxDined on 9/21/2014Went there before a show, service by STEVE was great, very attentive but not overly smothering. Prefix menu had great choices. (The lump crab appetizer could be a little bigger). But with dessert included, plenty to eat in the end. To wait out traffic we went back in for an after show drink. It was a Sunday night... went to bar, bar full, then eventually seats opened up.... TVs for sports, a few of them along bar, but not huge so it looked like a sports bar. Will go back again before or after a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedtoobadDined on 9/19/2014I have tried many times to get a rez at Nico's so was very happy to get one for 6:15 the night of a 8:00 performance at NJ PAC. Well, they assured us that they can get us out on time for the show. Our waitress completely disappeared, we didn't get our drinks for almost 30 minutes, appetizers came at 7:15, entree 7:30 and they brought out dessert while we were wolfing down our food to make the show. It was prix fix only on performance night, I don't know why they didn't have it together if they get most of the business from show goers in hte same building. The food was very tasty - wish we could have enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Prefix Menu Needs WorkPrefixDined on 9/19/2014NJPAC is a one of my favorite places but Nico's is a different story. The prefix menu needs some help. At first glance, there seems to be some nice choices but if you are vegan or vegetarian you are out of luck. Our server would not accommodate anything that was not on the menu, offering for us to select items that were part of the regular entrees to create a vegetarian plate. What arrived was a plate full of items that did not look appetizing. Although we did not pay for this meal and the manager was very nice, it was a disappointment to the beginning of our evening. I had fish, which was good but barely warm. Dessert though was great! Nico's servers are less than properly trained and it needs upgrading to meet diners needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 9/10/2014Taste of food was just ok to eat. However, service was horrible. Servers don't know how to serve. How can they expect us to dine without knives and forks? Ambience is casual and relaxing.
- Very EnjoyableRealtorDined on 9/10/2014We arrived anhour late because of HORRIBLE traffic. We where seated as soon as we arrived and our server was FANTASTIC. We told her we where running late and had tickets to the Eagles concert at the Prudential center. Our food arrived on time and was DELICIOUS. Great meal and service and will diffidently go back.Special Features:
- Great for pre-concert event!GypsyDined on 9/3/2014We were in Newark for a show at the Prudential. Found Nico's on Open Table. Nicest place in the area, great bar, within easy walking distance from Prudential, Very welcoming, and friendly, efficient staff. Chef was well aware of gluten issues, and was honest about not feeling comfortable in altering a plate to suit my needs. I would rather hear that, than be unsure if my food was safe or not. Only problem, I did not receive points, as per Open Table policy? Now, why is that? Host said he would look into it. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Nice Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014This place is a Newark gem; only had the opportunity to go for lunch; have tried some foods I can't remember the names however everything was very tasty including salads and sandwiches. Service was friendly and timely. Overall it is a little pricey but food is excellent. Looking forward to trying out dinner there.Special Features:
- Needs some workLoshieVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a relatively poor experience at Nico. The staff was overwhelmed. We waiting 1/2 hour for our drink order and then too long for our food since we were attending an event. However, the manager was very concerned and comped our drinks. I think they just need some work - they'll get it right. Food was very good once it did arrive.
- Good and bad.AWF2014Dined on 8/8/2014Nico is literally attached to NJPAC, making it THE dining choice before a show there. Or one would think. On the upside, the food was very good and the staff was pleasant. The service was awful, and if you scroll thru these reviews, you'll see this complaint often. We sat for 20 minutes before anyone came to take an order. The food arrived quickly - actually, too quickly - with the server trying to take away our half finished appetizers to make room for the entrees. Awkward. Entree was thoroughly enjoyable. Then, we sat. And sat. And sat. No one came to offer a drink, dessert, the check, anything. Had to flag down a bus boy to find our server. 20 minutes later, offered our expensive cocktails TO GO because it was showtime. Fail.
- Trapped customer specialGlobalVillagerDined on 8/8/2014This is your standard trapped-customer business. It is the only restaurant/bar located within the NJPAC building, so they don't need to put forth an honest effort since their customers are stuck. The watermelon soup was the highlight of the meal. The calamari, pasta and bronzini were all bad. To make the restaurant a complete farce, they only had 1 copy of the wine list (simple 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Just print 100 copies) on a Friday evening before a concert, so when you order your drink, they hand you the drink menu, but once you have ordered they need it back immediately to hand to the next table. At one point, the service disintegrated to the point where the maitre d' had to stop seating and start clearing tables. Service is awful.Special Features:
- Good spot for pre-show mealTGNJDined on 8/8/2014Nico's could be a great place but you're really not sure what they're trying to be...its a cross between bar food and finer dining. They changed the room quite a bit from a few years ago and its no longer an upscale feel, rather, its a bit like eating in a cafeteria. That said, the food is quite good. The branzino entree is excellent. The service is friendly, polite and tries to be accomodating but they are VERY SLOW. You need to allow 2 hours prior to show time if you want a 3 course meal. The convenience of location right at NJPAC is great for a relaxing evening if you allow enough time. This is what this place had going for it.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Service worst I've ever experiencedBesos43Dined on 8/8/2014If you think waiting 25 minutes for a bottle of sparkling water, 15 minutes for a drink, no one ever comes to check on if your meal was ok, never offered a 2nd round of drinks, never offered dessert, coffee, or tea is acceptable then Nico's is the place for you. I figure Nico's lost close to $100. on our tab because no one ever came to our table. We had to ask hostess to check on our drinks and give us our bill. The food we had was good but took way to long to come and way too long between courses. They were not busy and seemed to have plenty of staff, but I will never go again. The lack of service and attention to guests left a taste in my mouth I never want to repeat!!Special Features:
- What a surpriseOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014I went to Nico because it's next to NJPAC. It was surprisingly good food and service.I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 459 reviews are from the Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark reviews archive.
- Ok…convenient.OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/21/2014Ok…convenient when you need to grab a bite pre show. Food fair, bar ok, overall relatively un inspiring.
- great spot for dinner priorto showtomayVIPDined on 6/19/2014right next to the theatre- no fuss no muss service excellent, food as well- can't go wrong
- Surprisingly DisappointingPickyeaterDined on 6/19/2014My wife and I dined at Nico's Thursday evening, prior to seeing Earth, Wind and Fire. When we arrived we were greeted by a lady who could not find our reservation, after mispronouncing our name several times. Thankfully, the rest of the staff was very professional and attentive. Our server, Sean, was very personable and timely, without being intrusive. Our main issue, other than the limited show night menu, was the food. The crab balls contained little, if any, crab. they were also lacking any flavor. The chicken breast was very dry and flavorless. My wife enjoyed the Flounder, and we enjoyed dessert. If we were to return there for any reason, it would be to have a couple of drinks at the bar.
- GREAT PRE THEATRE RESTAURANTOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/15/2014PARK THE CAR AND ENTER THE RESTAURANT FOR FABULOUS FOOD - IT IS SO CONVENIENT - THE PIX FIX MENU WAS REASONABLE WITH GREAT SELECTIONS -Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food But Terrible ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014Would recommend because it is conveniently located if you're attending a performance at the New Jersey Performing Arts Center. Food was very good but service was terrible. Was forced to cut steak with a butter knife. Although a steak knife was requested it didn't arrive to our table until we were practically done our meal. We had to wait to eat our dessert because we had no cutlery. Couldn't even stir sugar in the expresso.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- could have been betterBigBDined on 6/15/2014Was going to see Il Volo @ NJPAC and decided to eat at Nico . We were seated immediately and we thought this is a nice place. The menu was strictly Pre-Fixe so we thought we would have plenty of time. We were excited that there was soft shell crabs on the menu. Unfortunately they were out of the crabs We were the first 20- 30 people in the restaurant and they're out of crabs?). The waiter assured us that our main course would be out shortly ( on three separate occasions ). The flounder was served on top of cold and under cooked vegetables and the steak was cool served over cold dry polenta. We told our server we were unhappy with the meal so the manager came by and paid for our two drinks from the bar and took 10% off the bill. NOT HAPPY
- OpenTable Diner Since 2004Dined on 6/15/2014I was pleasantly suprised. Food and service were very good. Very noisy.
- just o.k.justokDined on 6/14/2014bread was day old....drinks came after appetizer.....one of the three entrees was good....the others had little flavor.....quite overpriced for what it is.
- Great TimeDannyboyDined on 6/10/2014Had tickets for Rain at NJPAC and saw this restaurant was actually part of the Art Center. Arrived around 5:30 and was very happy to see they had a happy hour going on. Both my wife and I ordered a nice cocktail at the Bar, enjoyed it and then were taken to our table in the large dinning room. Food, Service, etc was great. Next time and every time I am at NJPAC,I will be having dinner at Nico .Special Features:
- great mealmarianneDined on 6/10/2014Ate there before seeing Rain at the PAC. Service and meal were excellent.Special Features:
- On my Newark Short ListKT2UDined on 6/8/2014I have business in Newark three times a year, and besides the Spanish Tavern, Nico's is the only place I've been to that is worth repeating. This was my second time to Nico, and it was good. Fit enough for foodies, but not outstanding. Cocktails read well on the menu but disappoint upon arrival. Wines are very good. Service was very good. We each ordered different entrees, and the meats were all prepared properly. Tasty vegetables. Will I come back to Nico's and bring others from my business group? Yes, until I find someplace else in Newark to beat it on our reliable destination restaurant list, but so far, I'm not finding anything. So tough as a foodie to find epic meals in Newark with NYC (that is loaded with them) so close in proximity.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnwaveringOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/5/2014Nico is guaranteed to have good food and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RushedjudyDined on 5/30/2014We had allowed over 1 1/2 to dine and we're rushed from the moment we entered the restaurant.
- Great food, service needs a boostLettuceloverDined on 5/30/2014As NJSO concertgoers, we are happy to have Nico so convenientlly located at NJPAC. Being in the same complex makes pre concert dinner a huge plus for an evening's entertainment. The prix fixe dinner at $42 for three courses including a non alcoholic beverage is ideal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average foodLaineyDined on 5/28/2014This is the second time we ate here. The first time the food was excellent, this time it was fair. Had to select from the set menu before a show and the selection was not great. Food was only ok and the desserts were not tasty at all. Disappointed. Waiter was very pleasant and other staff were very nice. Did not rush us.
- Dinner before concertGeriBDined on 5/28/2014Great food, however the bar gets pretty crazy and loud. Waitress was great. She made sure our food courses were timed right for the concert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.