Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark
One Center Street
Newark, NJ 07102Neighborhood:
ItalianPrice: $31 to $50
Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicokitchenbar.com/
- Phone: (973) 642-1226
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday through Friday
Dinner: Monday - Friday
Monday through Thursday until 9pm
Friday until 11pm
Saturdays and Sundays in conjunction with the performances only
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Tapas / Small Plates
- Executive Chef: Ryan DePersio
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Smoking Area, Wine
- Catering: We can cater any event from office breakfasts, lunches or dinners, private parties, corporate events, weddings or Bar/Bat Mitzvahs
A word from Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark
NICO Kitchen + Bar, the “Italian without Borders” restaurant concept from celebrated New Jersey Chef Ryan DePersio of Fascino and Bar Cara fame, is located in downtown Newark at NJPAC. Known for its power lunch week days, sophisticated happy hour, and contemporary, “shared plates” offerings, it also provides a delicious prelude to guests attending performances by offering a value-priced prix fixe menu before every curtain.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nico Kitchen & Bar - Newark reviews from OpenTable diners
68 reviews since July 25, 2014
- Ambiance3.6Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (20)special occasion (18)fit for foodies (17)vibrant bar scene (12)neighborhood gem (12)great for lunch (11)hot spot (10)romantic (5)notable wine list (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)Show More
- PRIX FIXE PRE-SHOW DINNERluvgudfoodDined on 11/20/2014The prix fixe menu is imaginative and satisfying. The three courses were good and not so heavy that we felt uncomfortable or sleepy during the show. Service was very good -- not rushed but timely.I would recommend this to a friend.
- not up to my standardsrjjmDined on 11/14/2014Service was exceptional. Other then the dessert which was great, the appetizer and main entree were too small of a portion and unusually salty in flavor. Would not recommend dining there when only option is prix-fix menu
- Dining at Nico'sfoodbugVIPDined on 11/14/2014This restaurant is not the spot for a quiet date night. While the food and service was good the noise level was too loud to carry on a conversation and the tables were too close to one another. There was a good selection of reasonably priced wines.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceRealtorDined on 11/14/2014The waitress was very attentive. Food came out at the perfect time. Wine was refilled at the appropriate time. Would definitely recommend eating here before a show; or going to a show at the near by Prudential center.Special Features:
- firsttimerDined on 11/14/2014It was perfect for a pre-show dinner and everything about Nico's was perfect!Special Features:
- Great duck!!m1chael57Dined on 11/13/2014Service was excellent as was my duck entree. Many places overcook it even if you ask for medium rare. Not Nicosia - it was perfectly cooked, lean, tender and delicious. Fine deserts too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MenuThomasDined on 11/6/2014It would be nice to see additional foods be offered on the lunch menu.
- Merely AdequatemzfitmamaDined on 11/1/2014Our reservation was for 8:15, after a 6:00 performance, and we were able to be seated earlier. Sounded like a good plan, instead of dinner prior to a later show. The prix fixe menu looked promising, but didn't live up to expectations. We had the roast chicken and the salmon; both were presented well but definitely overdone. Service was good until after the entrees, which I thought was odd since there were few patrons left at that time. I was so looking forward to eating here under this management. We usually eat at home prior to a performance; perhaps we should continue to do so. Too bad.
- Very nice, indeed.NJMikeDined on 11/1/2014We had tickets for an 8PM show at NJPAC, our first time there, so we arrived for dinner at 6:30. We were served a nice drink at the bar by Sean and then shown to our table by Shirley. My wife ordered the Flat Iron Steak which was wonderful prepared, cooked to perfection and delicious. I had the duck which was perfectly cooked but the meat was a little bland, a characteristic of farm-raised duck these days; it was very tender and enjoyable nevertheless. The service was friendly and attentive. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad servicelovetoeatDined on 11/1/2014We went to Nico because we had a show at NJPAC. We arrived 1 1/2 hours ahead of the show and told the waiter. We did not get dessert prior to the show. We came back at intermission and had our dessert.Special Features:
- the Show's the thingCaroleVIPDined on 11/1/2014Nico's has a trapped audience, pre theater. The food is good but the service is poor, slow, inattentive each time. Requiring a 3 course fixed dinner and then not getting people out on time is very annoying. It is convenient so we go back before a concert, but it should be so much better.
- Poor performance for pre-theaterNGopentableDined on 10/30/2014NICO is located inside NJPAC, so going there for pre-theatre was a no-brainer. Unfortunately, the kitchen and management could not perform. Food came out very late, in fact the couple seated next to us arrived an hour and a half before curtain, never got their entrees and just walked out. Our food was not served hot and the sides were not prepared as stated on the menu. And to make things even worse, we were double charged for our drinks and, when we pointed it out to our server, the error was never corrected.
- the best dinner i NEVER hadselmamaDined on 10/30/2014We arrived early(6:20)for our seating(6:30)but were seated right away. 20 minutes later(6:40)someone took our order for drinks and dinner. 20 minutes later(7:00)the drinks arrived then(7:10)the 1st course. We received repeated apologies, but not from our waitperson, and we did often ask what was happening with the rest of the meal, but nothing arrived by 7:40 and we had to leave for the performance. This venue is located in the performance space NJPAC, and one presumes they deal with a meal deadlines pretty much every night of the week. I've eaten at NICO or its predecessors at one time or another over that last few years, and it has always been a little hectic. But this was inexcusable and I doubt I will ever return. Be warned.
- Horrible ServiceBelleDined on 10/30/2014Kitchen service was so bad that, despite a 6:15 reservation for two with a 8:00 show time and only a limited menu available, our entrees had not arrived by 20 minutes to show time. Our server apologized but could offer no hope/info as to when the food would arrive. With his knowledge, we walked out. Friends had mentioned that service tended to be slow at this restaurant but our experience was intolerable.
- bartleyjfDined on 10/26/2014The bar and wait staff were very friendly and courteousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfectly FineEmilyDined on 10/24/2014Fine for a lunch meeting. Menu was a little sparse. Individual pizza was fine--not amazing--but perfectly fine. Staff was helpful and friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre Peerformance Diningcliffe6dDined on 10/23/2014Nico provided very tasty "right sized" sandwiches (fluke and crab cakes) with light greens and oil (alternate choice to fries). Prompt courteous service alert to concert start time at NJPACSpecial Features:
- SERVICE & FOODThomasDined on 10/23/2014SERVICE IMPROVED GREATLY OVER LAST TIME. FOOD MENU WAS JUST SO-SO.Special Features:
- PennyDined on 10/23/2014I had a bad experience at Nico's on 10/23/14. Six of us had tickets for a concert at 1:30PM. We arrived at 12:20PM. Our lunch finally arrived at 1:20PM. We had to pay before we received our lunch because we were late for the concert. I complained. They took $15 off our bill. When the lunch came we had five minutes to eat it and we arrived at the concert as it was beginning. The food was OK. I do not understand why it took so long for the food to come.
- Steer away from Pre Fixe menu.FOODIEDined on 10/17/2014We went pre-show and the only option preshow is a prefix menu, which seemed to have been prepared before we ordered. The food is great if you can go when there isn't a show about to start and you can order from the regular dinner menu. Our waitress was very accommodating when they didn't have the drink I ordered. She gave me other option I wanted no charge.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Before the ShowOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014If you are in a rush before the show, Nico has an affordable white table cloth meal with drinksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Concert ConvenientLettuceloverDined on 10/10/2014If you are a subscriber to the NJSO at NJPAC, you arelucky to have Nico Kitchen and Bar in the same building. With parking across the street, this is a perfect dinner and concert evening. four of us met for dinner, all enjoyed our meals.Special Features:
- service, service, serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2001VIPDined on 10/10/2014There must be a large turnover of employees because you never see the same faces. The place is usually empty, but they have trouble getting us all out in time for the performance. Our desserts were served first! When we requested more bread it came without butter. The cesear salad was bland as were the arancini crab balls. The bronzini was very tasty. It annoys me to have to order dessert with my meal.
- Need to improve speed of serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/9/2014It took an hour for the first course and we missed dessert to get Into the show on time. Good was excellent but needs improvement on time.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch with Easy ParkingNJRealtorDined on 10/9/2014I was looking for a place (in Newark) to take a client for lunch. I had a few ideas for smaller spots but parking would have been questionable. I chose Nico's and had not only easy parking, but a fresh, well done meal with an attractive atmosphere and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner & PlayOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/7/2014From bartender to waitress very professional and food was greatSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a fun nightOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/28/2014We had tickets for a show and we gave ourselves an hour and a half to enjoy a meal before the show. Unfortunately, it seems the staff forgot us and we did not get our entrées until 20 minutes before the show started. We did make it to the show and they did give us a small discount on the bill, but the meal would have been better if we didn't have to rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just the right placeDannyboyDined on 9/21/2014My second visit to Nico. This restaurant is the reason we go to the NJPAC. Always have a wonderful time, and the service is greatSpecial Features:
- Very Good FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/21/2014The food was awesome, waiters very good, but the entree took way too long to arrive. Had 5:15 pm reservations, arrived on time & everything was moving along nicely & then we had to wait until a few minutes past 6:30 for our entree. Our show started at 7 pm so we had to eat our delicious dinner & dessert very fast, not good. We were given a free round of drinks & a small discount, but I would have preferred more time to eat!Special Features:
- Special ExperienceMaryBDined on 9/21/2014Food was great -- tasty and innovative. Service was impeccable. We have eaten here several times and all were lovely.Special Features:
- Great place before and after a showVisitor1957xxxxxxxxxxxDined on 9/21/2014Went there before a show, service by STEVE was great, very attentive but not overly smothering. Prefix menu had great choices. (The lump crab appetizer could be a little bigger). But with dessert included, plenty to eat in the end. To wait out traffic we went back in for an after show drink. It was a Sunday night... went to bar, bar full, then eventually seats opened up.... TVs for sports, a few of them along bar, but not huge so it looked like a sports bar. Will go back again before or after a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedtoobadDined on 9/19/2014I have tried many times to get a rez at Nico's so was very happy to get one for 6:15 the night of a 8:00 performance at NJ PAC. Well, they assured us that they can get us out on time for the show. Our waitress completely disappeared, we didn't get our drinks for almost 30 minutes, appetizers came at 7:15, entree 7:30 and they brought out dessert while we were wolfing down our food to make the show. It was prix fix only on performance night, I don't know why they didn't have it together if they get most of the business from show goers in hte same building. The food was very tasty - wish we could have enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Prefix Menu Needs WorkPrefixDined on 9/19/2014NJPAC is a one of my favorite places but Nico's is a different story. The prefix menu needs some help. At first glance, there seems to be some nice choices but if you are vegan or vegetarian you are out of luck. Our server would not accommodate anything that was not on the menu, offering for us to select items that were part of the regular entrees to create a vegetarian plate. What arrived was a plate full of items that did not look appetizing. Although we did not pay for this meal and the manager was very nice, it was a disappointment to the beginning of our evening. I had fish, which was good but barely warm. Dessert though was great! Nico's servers are less than properly trained and it needs upgrading to meet diners needs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WastingfoodisasinVIPDined on 9/10/2014Taste of food was just ok to eat. However, service was horrible. Servers don't know how to serve. How can they expect us to dine without knives and forks? Ambience is casual and relaxing.
- Very EnjoyableRealtorDined on 9/10/2014We arrived anhour late because of HORRIBLE traffic. We where seated as soon as we arrived and our server was FANTASTIC. We told her we where running late and had tickets to the Eagles concert at the Prudential center. Our food arrived on time and was DELICIOUS. Great meal and service and will diffidently go back.Special Features:
- Great for pre-concert event!GypsyDined on 9/3/2014We were in Newark for a show at the Prudential. Found Nico's on Open Table. Nicest place in the area, great bar, within easy walking distance from Prudential, Very welcoming, and friendly, efficient staff. Chef was well aware of gluten issues, and was honest about not feeling comfortable in altering a plate to suit my needs. I would rather hear that, than be unsure if my food was safe or not. Only problem, I did not receive points, as per Open Table policy? Now, why is that? Host said he would look into it. Highly recommended!!Special Features:
- Nice Dining ExperienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/19/2014This place is a Newark gem; only had the opportunity to go for lunch; have tried some foods I can't remember the names however everything was very tasty including salads and sandwiches. Service was friendly and timely. Overall it is a little pricey but food is excellent. Looking forward to trying out dinner there.Special Features:
- Needs some workLoshieVIPDined on 8/8/2014We had a relatively poor experience at Nico. The staff was overwhelmed. We waiting 1/2 hour for our drink order and then too long for our food since we were attending an event. However, the manager was very concerned and comped our drinks. I think they just need some work - they'll get it right. Food was very good once it did arrive.
- Good and bad.AWF2014Dined on 8/8/2014Nico is literally attached to NJPAC, making it THE dining choice before a show there. Or one would think. On the upside, the food was very good and the staff was pleasant. The service was awful, and if you scroll thru these reviews, you'll see this complaint often. We sat for 20 minutes before anyone came to take an order. The food arrived quickly - actually, too quickly - with the server trying to take away our half finished appetizers to make room for the entrees. Awkward. Entree was thoroughly enjoyable. Then, we sat. And sat. And sat. No one came to offer a drink, dessert, the check, anything. Had to flag down a bus boy to find our server. 20 minutes later, offered our expensive cocktails TO GO because it was showtime. Fail.
- Trapped customer specialGlobalVillagerDined on 8/8/2014This is your standard trapped-customer business. It is the only restaurant/bar located within the NJPAC building, so they don't need to put forth an honest effort since their customers are stuck. The watermelon soup was the highlight of the meal. The calamari, pasta and bronzini were all bad. To make the restaurant a complete farce, they only had 1 copy of the wine list (simple 8.5x11 sheet of paper. Just print 100 copies) on a Friday evening before a concert, so when you order your drink, they hand you the drink menu, but once you have ordered they need it back immediately to hand to the next table. At one point, the service disintegrated to the point where the maitre d' had to stop seating and start clearing tables. Service is awful.Special Features: