Nick's Fishmarket Grill
222 W Merchandise Mart Plaza
Chicago, IL 60654Neighborhood:
River North (Chicago)
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Nick's Fishmarket Grill
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.nicks-fishmarket.com/
- Phone: (312) 621-0200
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Friday: 4:00pm - 9:00pm; Dinner: Saturday 5:00pm - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Perez
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Large or small, every gathering you entrust to us gives us the opportunity to delight you and your guests. From our exceptional service to our exquisite cuisine, you"ll feel the difference from the moment you contact us.
- Private Party Facilities: Private & semi-private dining rooms are available. Nick's Fishmarket can accommodate up to 220 guests. Rooms can be equipped with audio-visual equipment. Special menus are offered for groups from 20 to 250 guests.
- Private Party Contact: Amanda Lembke 3126210211x
A word from Nick's Fishmarket Grill
A Chicago area culinary landmark, we are famous for serving the freshest seafood, premium dry-aged steaks and finest award-winning wines. Nick's Fishmarket Grill offers expertise in seafood preparation in a Casual yet chic dining experience. Located in the Chicago Merchandise Mart, the Grill is perfect for lunch, dinner or after work cocktails and features a menu of shareable starters and daily fresh fish selections. Whether you're dining for business or pleasure, Nick's Fishmarket Grill extends a first class dining experience with outstanding atmosphere and service.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nick's Fishmarket Grill reviews from OpenTable diners
42 reviews since August 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (19)good for groups (13)fit for foodies (11)neighborhood gem (5)special occasion (5)romantic (3)vibrant bar scene (2)kid-friendly (2)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)Show More
- soupAmericanheroDined on 11/14/2014The best part of the night ended at the soup. The plate I ordered tasted dull. I had I hopes sorry to say I will not be coming back.
- WaiterBob2Dined on 11/7/2014Liked the old restaurant location much better. New location is too informal. Our waiter must have used the term "excellent" about 15 times. We wanted to throttle him.Special Features:
- Disappointing value for moneyAlvpDined on 11/6/2014We were recommended by friends and had hi expectations. Menu looiend attractieve, decent prices, but then the"specials" which were recommended turend out to be 50% more expensive than the average entree on the menu. I ate a salmon which was overcooked and served with 5 dried out asparagus. No value for moneySpecial Features:
- Great food. No atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 11/1/2014We have been to the old location and that was great. Had family in town and booked Nicks and didn't realize that they had moved. The food and service is awesome. Really enjoyed it from a food and service standpoint. Lobster bisque is fantastic! All 8 of us enjoyed our food! The atmosphere was blah. 7 pm on a Saturday and it was dead. Good for us with little kids but it was underwhelming with no atmosphere. Maybe they are more busy during the week with their new location? I would recommend except for the lively or lack there of atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quiet and deliciousdocVQVIPDined on 10/28/2014I took my boss out to dinner during a recent visit and I needed a restaurant that had good good and a quiet ambience so that we could talk business. Nicks was the perfect place. Always good service, we enjoyed delicious dinners. The lobster bisque was the perfect start up and the sea bass was the best I'd had in a long time. She enjoyed wonderful grilled shrimp too. There was a good small crowd and we stayed late finishing business, but we never had to strain to hear each other at all. The location is perfect given that our organization is in the Mart itself.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor serviceDinnerking1VIPDined on 10/11/2014Wait staff very disinterested even though restaurant was empty. Never checked on us.Special Features:
- Not the sameDsgrigDined on 9/17/2014Food at nicks is still very good, but the ambience is too casual and there is no view at all despite the fact that they are in the Merchandise Mart on the Chicago River. Bisque and sea bass were still terrific. Not a memorable experience.
- Outstanding!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/15/2014I really enjoyed the food and the high level of service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcellentVaportrailDined on 9/13/2014A step up from the old days at the original spot. Being able to park mere feet from the entrance, ( Can park for free on the driveway ramp on the north side of the building after 6 o`clock ) , is a plus. Food is awesome, prepared with care and the wait staff are great!!!!Special Features:
- Great service!Luv2eatDined on 9/11/2014We took a large group and got great service and fantastic food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go2DineDined on 9/8/2014I ordered the seabass which was outstanding!!! Absoultely delicious, highly recommend it to anyone!Special Features:
- fooddeeDined on 8/9/2014Not what I expected...I expected outdoor dining on the river and it was a beautiful night. We walked in and it was closed off (not even a window)and we were the only ones there. Waitstaff was friendly enough...I had been seeing this restaurant on the river forever and thought it would be perfect for a great outdoor meal. They have moved or I was mistaken!
- A sure thing-OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/6/2014Delicious food, reasonable price, great service, and the right noise level and ambiance for a comfortable business or personal lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 333 reviews are from the Nick's Fishmarket Grill reviews archive.
- Wonderful Food - Not the old Nick'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/30/2014It's been a few years since I visited Nick's and it was the old location. The new location in the Merchandise Mart is not the white table cloths of old. The atmosphere is very modern. The food was wonderful, service was wonderful. Not a place for a romantic dinner. Great place for lunch as I imagine they are packed in that location. I went on a weekday expecting a romantic atmoshphere. Perhaps they do something different on the weekends.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 7/23/2014Fish and Chips with slaw. Bring an appetite for this one, lots of fish. So nothing fancy, but great execution on battered Cod. Batter is on the lighter side. Slaw was nice and dry, and plenty of slaw too. Lots of better menu choices, but I was in the mood.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick's is so soCleworthyDined on 7/19/20147:00 PM on a Saturday night and there were about 3 tables booked, so that pretty much tells you what you need to know. My and my wife's Sea Bass were fine but my daughter did not care for the Nick's salad. Her comment - "it was drenched in dressing" and lacked the flavors she was expecting based on the menu description. Her scallops were soaked in butter. My son-in-law had the three beef medallions and thought that the different sauces overpowered the meat. In sum, an average to below average meal at 3-4 star prices. We were disappointed.
- Great Food and ServicePamIAmVIPDined on 7/18/2014Went to Nick's for a business meeting with a new client. Great service and food. We were on a tight schedule and did not feel rushed. Restaurant was somewhat busy, but nice and quiet - perfect for a meeting like that.Special Features:
- ExcellentDaveseeVIPDined on 7/8/2014Except for overlooking our reservation, our experience was marvelous. No one in our party of four had any complaints about their meal - the food was outstanding The wine was excellent.Special Features:
- good higher end lunch optionappleDined on 7/1/2014when looking for a higher end lunch option in river north, Nick's is a great choice - either for a casual or business lunch. the seafood is always fresh and the service is exceptional. and if you're not a seafood lover, plently of other options available. and service was also quick.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DepressingEagle779VIPDined on 6/30/2014The food was very good - fresh fish, nicely prepared and presented. Service was friendly, attentive and helpful. But the dining room felt like a coffee shop in the basement of a small community hospital. It was institutional, dark and dingy, with bare Formica tables and insipid recorded music. The only wall decorations were two TV sets and a long electrical cable connected to some mysterious small appliance lying on the floor. The windows, which faced a parking lot, were covered with curtains. All in all, an unpleasant and depressing place to have a meal. Recommended only for take-out.
- Lunch at Nick'sTomLDined on 6/20/2014Prompt service, attentive wait staff, unbelievably delicious food: Nick's Fishmarket Grill is a must!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too long to wait for food and checkLunchtimespotzDined on 6/18/2014I made a reservation for five, for lunch hour on a Tuesday. Understanding that lunch hours are busier, we allowed ourselves an hour and fifteen minutes. We made it out in no less than one hour and 45 minutes, because we had to wait so long for our food an check. Every table around us was served efficiently, except for us. When my soup came, it had clearly been sitting under a warming lamp, as there was a thick film on the top of it. I have been to Nick's many times, but this was just disappointing and unacceptable.
- Big DisappointmentStLouisDinerVIPDined on 6/12/2014I have been to the other Nicks in the Chicago area, and was expecting a similar experience here. I was hugely disappointed. The atmosphere is not at all like the other Nicks restaurants, this one felt like a coffee shop café in a hotel lobby, not the elegant dinning room with attentive service staff like the others. Our waiter was ok, but not very personable. All he wanted to do was take our order. We ordered wine to go with dinner, he opened the bottle, and then proceeded to fill, and I mean FILL up our glasses without offering to have us taste the wine and accept or reject the selection. Food was OK, but not up to the standard I was expecting for a restaurant with this name on it. I won't be back to this one.
- suprisedSCRSTRDined on 6/11/2014When we first entered the restaurant for dinner we had concerns because of this was not the Nicks we expected but Andrea took care of our group and did an great job. Ended being a great experience.
- JeanneDined on 6/9/2014We had a great evening at Nick's. The food was very good. My only issue was that the atmosphere was not very relaxing...too bright and a little loud.Special Features:
- Nick's Fishmarket GrillthefinedinerDined on 6/8/2014It has been awhile since I dined at Nick's. The old location on Dearborn was much more romantic. My girlfriend and I felt overdressed, however, the food and the service was fantastic. As I told my server, as long as my girlfriend is happy, then I'm happy. Now, we both like to try the location on Higgins in Rosemont.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A must tryDamenglerDined on 5/31/2014The food is very dynamite and the atmosphere is perfect for a romantic dining experience. I had the Scallops special and it was the BEST!Special Features:
- Jmc1949Dined on 5/27/2014Going to a 7:30 show at United Center. We did salads and 2 appetizers All was good. Great host and our waiter Billy was nice and very attentive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!BobbyDDined on 5/2/2014Excellent pretty much says it all! Excellent food, excellent atmosphere, and excellent service! Had a great time with colleagues for lunch and would definitely return and recommend. Thanks!Special Features:
- Good food and experienceWallmanChiDined on 4/30/2014Service and the food was really good. We got there at 5pm during the week and it filled up quickly!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding establishmentJewelVisionDined on 4/26/2014My first experience at the new location...an excellent rating. The atmosphere was perfect, The wine list was impressive and the food was absolutely superb!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice find just off Wacker DrThegoodlifeDined on 4/22/2014In town for the night, looking for a quiet fish restaurant within walking distance off the hotel. Great choices of fish with multiple prep options. Had the blackened Talapia and it was excellent as was the special salad. Service was quick and excellent. The place was about half full on a Tuesday night with comfortable bancet seating and a quiet atmosphere. Certainly go back the next time I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Comme ci, comme caSanjayDined on 4/11/2014I've had better service, and better food, at Nick's Fishmarket at the Merchandise Mart in Chicago. Let's start with the waiter, whose attendance was virtually non-existent, and who "made a mistake" in making change from the bill when I paid him. The other waiters that day were courteous and attentive; my waiter completely ignored me. Let's talk about the food: the Manhattan Clam Chowder was EXCELLENT; I can't recall when I've had better. The Carne Asada Cobb salad was cold. The meat was cold, the garnish was cold, and it had clearly been prepared long before I got there. I should have known, the salad arrived right behind my soup. Really, Nick's Fishmarket? Really? Come on, people; you can do better than that. Fire that waiter.
- awful servicefoodie1990Dined on 4/5/2014My cousins and I dine out for our birthdays and its a normal thing for us to dine in large groups. we arrived- I made sure to mention that we were a louder group- the waiter jokingly said to tell the other guests as he wouldn't be bothered with the noise level. Needless to say he was - when the rest of the group arrived we got louder. The waiter then started to seem annoyed. And only then (which was at 8:15) were we told the kitchen closes at 9. Our reservation was at 7:45. During our meal our waters weren't refilled and tried to joke with our waiter he seemed overly annoyed. I failed to mention that our family owns two restaurants and we understand the business . I hate writing bad reviews but we were fairly annoyed with the service here.
- 50th Birthday DinnerOut2DineDined on 4/4/2014Surprised my husband with an Amtrak Vacation Spectacular Getaway to Chicago. I had a choice of 4 hotels included in the package, 2 were "Moderate" and 2 were "Deluxe". I decided to go with the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza hotel as the "Moderate" selection out of the group. Well, the hotel was far from moderate and Nick's Fishmarket located in the Mart on the first floor offered a very fine upscale dining experience. Kudos to the chef and staff who made my husband's special weekend the best ever and one we will remember forever!! From the crab cake appetizer to the blackened shrimp and penne pasta topped off with excellent refreshing spirits.....We were in awe and in LUV!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Return to Nick'sfoodieDined on 3/28/2014I had dinner here 10 years ago and I loved it and when I found out I was returning for a conference decided to try it again and I was equally impressed. My salad and scallops were perfect as was the wine list! Thanks once again for a phenomenal meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Our waiter, Benjamin, wasJimmyVIPDined on 3/28/2014Our waiter, Benjamin, was very professional and friendly!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Business Lunch OasisOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/20/2014In Chicago's giant Merchandise Mart one could get lost very easily but finding our way to Nick's Fishmarket Grill was easy and very rewarding. Nick's was a perfect venue for our three person business lunch. We all found a reasonably priced meal on the lunch special menu. The atmosphere was light and quiet enough to talk business. We will be back, again and again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not the Nicks of the past!LenL317Dined on 3/17/2014Many years ago I would dine at Nicks and 100% loved it! Great fish! And fantastic service! That not the Nicks of today! Very disappointing! Food was fair at best! Service was ok! So Nicks is off my where to eat while in the Windy City!
- Nick's is a great spot forOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 3/10/2014Nick's is a great spot for a business lunch. Service is quick and the food is both delicious and generous. The staff is friendly and very accommodating. I would not hesitate to return.Special Features: