Nick's at the Pier
5083 Santa Monica Ave. (TOP FLOOR)
San Diego, CA 92107Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Nick's at the Pier
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicksatthepier.com/
- Phone: 6192227437
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm, Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Sushi, Seafood
- Executive Chef: Scotty McElroy
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Ocean Boogie every Saturday Night in the lounge is OceanBeach's premier dance party hosted by DJ Unite & DJ Peril. Friday nights offer an array of Bands or DJ's rockin the house 'til last call. The rest of the week has promotions and games to keep you entertained and laughing.
- Cross Street: Abbott
- Public Transit: The bus stop is one block away on Newport Ave.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: There are 52 spaces located below the building, enter through the alley on the south side off of Abbott Street. There is also two public lots across the street and street parking.
A word from Nick's at the Pier
Thank you for considering Nick's at the Pier. Following the success of Nick's at the Beach in Pacific Beach we opened Nick's at the Pier in May of 2007. Located in the fun little comunitty known as Ocean Beach and feet from the Pacific Ocean we boast the BEST OCEAN VIEW IN SAN DIEGO. We offer some of the best and freshest seafood the Pacific has to offer. Our extensive menu is influenced by our neighbors to the south, and friends across the pacific. Unlike many of the big chains, we are not afraid to put flavor and spice into our dishes. We have also recently (January 2011) added Sushi to our menu with rave reviews. So prepare yourself and your taste buds for a fun and relaxing evening with us. Not a seafood fan? Not to worry, we have you covered too with amazing pastas, steaks and chicken dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nick's at the Pier reviews from OpenTable diners
- Fantastic food, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/14/2013Fantastic food, great service, and an epic view of beautiful Ocean Beach. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- We have eaten at Nicks moreOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/1/2013We have eaten at Nicks more times than I could count. Came when first opened by prior owner. The menu just did not suit me this time. But we had a group of 9 and I think others were fine with their meal. My crab cakes were overdone and not interesting. I didn't even finish my small spinach salad. The ingredients and dressing did not work together for some reason. VERY disappointed. My Moms steak was very tough! I could barely cut it. Husband who shared crab cakes felt same about them. His fish sandwich was very blah and dull. Tater tots were good. But seasoning on most dishes was missing or off. I have felt that this restaurant was a "please everyone" sort of place, but this experience let me down.
- There is a really nice viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 2/1/2013There is a really nice view of the ocean. That's the best part of my dining experience at Nick's. I ordered chowder and mahi mahi & waited & waited & waited until finally my main course was served. I asked about the bowl of chowder I had ordered for an appetizer and the waitress replied "where did it go?" which I hope was meant to be a rhetorical question. The mahi mahi was good; the accompanying mashed potatoes tasted like instant, and the vegetables were over-cooked and mushy. Poor service and so-so food mean no reason for me to return.
- Terrible service. Ugly diningAmy1VIPDined on 12/31/2012Terrible service. Ugly dining area, looks like a casino bar.
- The view is the best attributefundineVIPDined on 12/27/2012The view is the best attribute of this restaurant. Service was painfully slow, food order came out wrong, but we've been waiting for so long at that point we just took it. The food was good, but nothing special.Special Features:
- We've been to this restaurantIrisDined on 12/9/2012We've been to this restaurant several times. The view is great, the food is always good, but the service is so slow. The first few times we went there, this was not the case, but the last two times, it was ridiculous. We were there for lunch/brunch. Looked at the menu and considered getting something to nibble on while waiting for the food. It took 20 minutes for them, once again, to come to our table, just yo get drink orders, so we ordered everything art once and it took a ridiculous amount of time to get our food. Not to mention, we had a reservation through open table and they made us wait, while people just walking in we're given tables. Don't let this neighborhood gem go down hill!Special Features:
- Food was above average, notOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/22/2012Food was above average, not very many different dishes for a buffet, but well made. Service and atmosphere were wonderful. The one letdown was dessert - the bread pudding was the worst I've ever had, very dry, even crunchy in some places, shaped like a coffee cake, with chocolate sauce from a bottle.Since we live nearby, we'll probably drop in to check out their regular menu; not fair to judge them on a specialty serving.Special Features:
- While the view was spectacularOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 11/14/2012While the view was spectacular and the bar was hopping, the food was mediocre at best. We all ordered fish. All were served with the same sides--bland rice pilaf and soggy veggies. The restaurant was just adding a sushi menu--we ordered some and it was pretty good. Drinks were good and service was good. Very quiet weeknight in the restaurant. But the bar was lively.Special Features:
- Fantastic food! FriendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/23/2012Fantastic food! Friendly and attentive staff! Beautiful view! We enjoyed our meal very much!Special Features:
- Good food, slow serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/18/2012The food was good, burger was a little overdone,fries were great. My partner's club sandwich was fine too. Trouble was we had to wait more than 15 minutes after being seated to get someone to take our order. The place was not that busy (7 tables were seated and at least 3 servers that we could see). The server that did take our order apparently was not assigned to the section we were sitting in, and the server who was assigned to our section chose to not acknowledge us. When time came to pay the bill, we had to wait 30 minutes to get someone to take the credit card, when the server finally came over he admitted he forgot, since it was not in his area....really.Special Features:
- AMAZING food. Steak, chickenOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/28/2012AMAZING food. Steak, chicken nachos, fish tacos, sushi, etc... My husband and I couldn't decide what we wanted so we ordered enough for 5 :)Special Features:
- Hard to find a parking spot.OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 7/25/2012Hard to find a parking spot. Very nice waitress. Great prices on bottles of wine.Special Features:
- The location is outstanding,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/11/2012The location is outstanding, the service was impeccable, the servers were most animated and personable, the overall experience was exceptional.Special Features:
- Father's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/17/2012Lovely Father's Day celebration. Thank you. What a view!Special Features:
- Beautiful Ocean View and great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2012Didn't realize this was my 2nd time actually visiting this restaurant - as I walked up the steps I remembered some years ago eating here and immediately remembered how much I liked this place. A party of 4 of us were celebrating a birthday and had a beautiful table overlooking the ocean. Had an awesome Taco salad that was out of this world. Everyone was very attentive and made sure we were always taken care of. Would highly recommend this restaurant to anyone looking for a place down at the beach.Special Features:
- View is great. We like toOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/27/2012View is great. We like to go there for Sunday brunch.Special Features:
- Great wine list with exceptionalprimeribberVIPDined on 5/26/2012Great wine list with exceptional wine buys. Food is fair, nothing to write home about.
- Ate mother's day bruch, whichOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 5/13/2012Ate mother's day bruch, which was great! Our reservation allowed for no wait and a table right at the window overlooking the pier/beach. The food was great and mimosas are just 2.50 on Sunday. Fabulous!Special Features:
- We have been there twice inOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 4/21/2012We have been there twice in the last month, food and service consistantly good. Arrive about six the place does not get full until around 7-7:30.Special Features:
- Very good food and reasonablyOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 4/16/2012Very good food and reasonably affordable. The best part is the sunset view.Special Features:
- The view at Nick's is fantastic.AnnemDined on 4/15/2012The view at Nick's is fantastic. It sits across the street from the beach and we were there during sunset..phenominal! The food was excellent as well. We started with the steamers and they were delicious. I had the salmon special which was mouth watering. It may have been the best salmon I've ever had. We had chocolate layer cake for dessert and it was good but nothing special. The service was okay. However, the server was not friendly at all. Though the view is great, the ambiance of the actual restaurant could use some work. It seems somewhat dull and under decorated.Special Features:
- Great restaurant from viewsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/29/2012Great restaurant from views to menu selection. I have taken my wife on a date, and had a large party for my Mom,s birthday. Service is very efficient and personable.Special Features:
- Opentable reservation not receivedOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 3/18/2012When we arrived they did not have the reservation I made thru Opentable but fortunately were able to accommodate our party This was my first time using Opentable and needless to say, I will not use them again. In the future will simply go the old fashioned route and contact the restaurant directly
- I Could Eat Here Every Nite!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/29/2012At first glance we weren't impressed. But then we were seated at a table overlooking the pier at sunset. WOW. Amazing View, Amazing service and Amazing food! We started with the Cali Roll, made to order and it was perfect. My husband had the stuffed chicken and I had the top sirloin and both were superb. The fresh veggies and mashed potatoes were to die for. I was stuffed beyond belief, but I couldn't resist trying the creme brulee, which was definitely in my top 3 of all time! I would definitely recommend Nicks for a romantic dinner. Be sure to ask for a window table!Special Features:
- Good spot for Breakfast, Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 2/19/2012We had a large group & went for a late breakfast, The food was great, a reasonable price, and the service was good too. The view was amazing! we could watch the waves & surfers while eating.Special Features:
- Great view, great service,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/14/2012Great view, great service, great view, food was average.Special Features:
- Everything was great exceptOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/8/2012Everything was great except they didn't have my reservation from OpenTable! They'd never heard of me. It wasn't a problem since they had plenty of seating, but it made me doubt the effectiveness of OpenTable.
- Disappointed in Ocean BeachRandiDined on 2/4/2012We hadn't been to Nick's at the Pier in a couple of years. In the past it had always been a favorite and a busy place. This time we went on a Saturday night and it felt empty (bad sign). Scanned the menu and couldn't believe how limited it was as compared to the past (second bad sign). Ordered the calamari as an appetizer, chewy and greasy (third bad sign). Overall the food was very poor. Such a disappointment that this restaurant has taken such a slide to the downside. We loved this place when it was Qwig's and when it opened as Nick's. Now we will only go to the Sports Bar side when we want a Sports Bar, but we won't be going to the dining room again.Special Features:
- I have been a fan of Nick'sBobKDined on 1/13/2012I have been a fan of Nick's for many years. The setting and the view are spectacular, but the food quality & quantity has steadily declined. The lunch menu is now very limited and the quality is average. It is sad to see this decline.Special Features:
- Good view, okay food, loud "Musak"PathfinderVIPDined on 12/31/2011The view of the waves, surfers, pier and beach is ideal. The restaurant's background music is set too loud. Having eaten here numerous times - we live within walking distance - it's clear the chef prefers highly salted foods. The fresh fish is cooked well, very moist, but too heavily seasoned. Bread basket is uninspired. Nick's at the Pier is more of a neighborhood eatery than a destination dining experience.Special Features:
- The kitchen forgot the baconcharlieVIPDined on 12/28/2011The kitchen forgot the bacon on our $12 burger, the Works. We didn't realize it till later that evening. I contacted the restaurant and the manager credited a few $ to our bill. That's good response. The burger? well I've had better burgers for $12 dollars. The complex has 3 other restaurants and Nick's appears to be the late night and brunch restaurant. the other two were crowded and not sure why Nick's didn't get the crowds. Ive been here at leats 3x but have reached my limit. The view of the ocean and pier are great. For a large group you could definitely get a table.Special Features:
- Excellent food & service.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/2/2011Excellent food & service. I love this restaurant. The wait staff is friendly & helpful.Special Features:
- Good food, excellent service.BryceNDined on 11/24/2011Good food, excellent service. Made for a great Thanksgiving dinner. We weren't able to come during the day, so we didn't get to enjoy the ocean view, but we went out for a walk on the pier afterward. We would recommend Nick's to anyone.
- Outstanding Thanksgiving buffet!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Outstanding buffet for Thanksgiving! Enjoyed the selection of the buffet and the wonderful ambiance and sunset over the ocean!Special Features:
- Thanksgiving dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/24/2011The thanksgiving buffet was less than average. The buffet was empty most of the time, making us wait as they refilled each pot one by one.
- We had dinner on a rainy SundayOpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 11/20/2011We had dinner on a rainy Sunday night. The place was very quiet. Our wait staff was excellent. My spicy pasta with shrimp was wonderful. We will return especially because of the abundance of underground parking in a normally impacted area of the beach.Special Features:
- The menu changed drasticallyOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/17/2011The menu changed drastically since the last time I was there and I was very disappointed. It used to be a special place but now it is just ordinary. Menu choices were limited unless you wanted sushi. My sea bass dish was bland and the steamer clams had about 5 limes in the broth that made it very odd tasting. Not returning.Special Features:
- I loved the ceviche appetizer,OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/24/2011I loved the ceviche appetizer, but the mustard-crusted salmon was just average. The staff was very friendly and attentive. We went there on Friday night around 715 pm and it was not crowded but not empty either.Special Features:
- Nick's is a great restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/5/2011Nick's is a great restaurant for tourists and locals, as well! Nothing can beat the view and lunch was delicious! A complimentary dessert for the "birthday guest" was a special surprise!Special Features:
- We were there for happy hourOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/2/2011We were there for happy hour and dinner. Watched the sunset and surfers in Ocean Beach. absolutely fabulous view. Food was delicious.Special Features: