Nick's at the Beach
809 Thomas Ave.
San Diego, CA 92109Neighborhood:
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Nick's at the Beach
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicksatthebeach.com/
- Phone: 8582701730
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Monday - Friday: 11:00am - 2:00pm, Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 2:00pm; Lunch: Daily: 11:00am - 4:00pm; Dinner: Nightly: 4:00pm - 1:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Carlos Gomez
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Smoking Area (bar only), Smoking Area (patio only), Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Nick's has become the Best place in Pacific Beach to have a good time. Hosting bands or DJ's in our upstairs bar every Friday & Saturday Night. We also have a great line up of fun and entertaining promotions through out the week that will definitely put a smile on your face. We also boast more than 20 high-def TV's with all your favorite satellite packages! Including NFL, NHL, NBA, MLB, ESPN Networks, Fox Networks....
- Cross Street: Mission Blvd.
- Public Transit: There is a bus stop directly across the street from us on Mission Blvd.
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: We have a small private lot, and the rest is street parking. There is a pay lot located one block away under the Promenade Shopping Center, enter on the 800 block of Reed Ave.
A word from Nick's at the Beach
Thank you for considering Nick's at the Beach. Founded in 1995 we have become a staple for locals and tourists alike. Located accross the street from the Ocean we offer some of the best and freshest seafood the Pacific has to offer. Our extensive menu is influenced by our neighbors to the south, and friends across the pacific. Unlike many of the big chains, we are not afraid to put flavor and spice into our dishes. So prepare yourself and your taste buds for a fun and relaxing evening with us. Not a seafood fan? Not to worry, we have you covered too with amazing pastas, steaks and chicken dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nick's at the Beach reviews from OpenTable diners
- Nice little GemSheridanWhitesideVIPDined on 8/21/2013We had attended a conference in San Diego, and one of the trainers recommended this out-of-the-way place. The interiors are not much to look at, but the food made up for it. Our server was very nice and made some wonderful recommendations. I had their celery root soup that was fantastic. It is unfortunate that the place has been sold, so who knows if the new owner will keep some of the menu items. Get there before they close.Special Features:
- Wonderful placeRowgirlDined on 8/17/2013Great food and a place to be seen. We loved it and can't wait to got back there again. I loved the fish wan the way they prepared it.Special Features:
- service appreciatedOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2013Service was good - and it was a busy Friday night. Attentive, but not hovering. Diverse menu. Pasta good. Swordfish good. Everyone happy with food and beverage service and selection.Special Features:
- FIRST VISITLUNCHBUNCHDined on 5/21/2013This was our first visit and was our monthly thank you lunch from the owners of our business. We were the only people in the restaurant. Although the food was good and the service was friendly, it took forever for our order to come out of the kitchen and we had to ask for the bill when it was time to leave. It did not seem they were prepared to serve lunch so they must not be used to doing business at that time of day. We arrived at 11:30 and did not leave until after 1pm. We'd hoped that since the name was Nicks at the Beach there wouldv'e been a better view. Instead of the Ocean or Beach, it was homeless folks walking up the street. I'm not sure if I'll be back. Maybe dinner or the upstairs bar would be a better idea?
- DisapointedOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 5/17/2013wow -this place is a dump - dont bother unless your drunk Bad vibe Bad food nice waiter Never again
- Mothers DayOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 5/12/2013We had mothers day here. It was a cold windy day and they sat us outside. The food was good, but I would have preferred to have gone there on a warmer day. Staff was nice and tried to take care of our needs under less than optimal conditions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- YesOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 3/23/2013The daily special - blackened albacore - was delicious. So was the bread pudding. I would recommend this place.Special Features:
- dont goOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/1/2013Not special at all. Food was average at best. The only bright spots were the servers
- Parking situation remainsRichardDined on 2/16/2013Parking situation remains a problem! Asside from inconvenience, the small lot is dangerous. Need more disabled spots. Otherwise our favorite place for special outings.Special Features:
- Place was really empty butColoradoRancherVIPDined on 12/28/2012Place was really empty but we ate at 8:30 pm. Not seen anywhere that empty in PB during a holiday break. Nice wait staff, decent food.Special Features:
- Nice Lunch Spot. With a great view.OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 12/1/2012I ordered some Delicious Tacos along with a Spinach Salad. Was able to seat in the patio area overlooking the beach and other PB bars from my good old days back in the early 90s. All in All it was a awesome birthday lunch. Can't wait to come back, and I'll be before the 1st of Dec. Maybe next month. Service was good, cute waitrsses, great prices. If I didn't leave 75 miles away this would be my new twice a week lunch spot.Special Features:
- Excellent place. Seafood chowderOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/22/2012Excellent place. Seafood chowder was tremendous. Went back a couple of days later just for the chowder and spinach salad. That and the dinner rolls. Weird to talk about dinner rolls I know but they are so good it's ridiculous. Anyway service was great, sports bar upstairs if you want to catch a game, and open til 1:00 am.Special Features:
- The service was a little slow,OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/1/2012The service was a little slow, but there was a game upstairs that required a lot of food for the crowd. Our waiter did a good job though. The halibut special was excellent, Nick's is worth another trip.Special Features:
- Our service was very poor,OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/10/2012Our service was very poor, and the food was a disappointment. The noise was way too loud. I do not recommend this restaurant to anyone. Tourist trap.
- Stopped by for dinner justBOS2SANVIPDined on 7/29/2012Stopped by for dinner just before the sun set and then walked across the street to see it. Great location at the beach. Really enjoyed the cream of artichoke soup with toasted pecans! My husband had the short ribs and I had the chicken teriyaki sandwich both of which were very good. Will definitely return to Nicks.Special Features:
- The best thing about Nick'sGonzoVIPDined on 7/27/2012The best thing about Nick's is the Friday night summer special: $25 for a half-size app, main course, and dessert. Wine list is good and well priced. Overall, a great place for a small group to get an inexpensive, quality dinner before a night out. Great waitstaff and atmosphere!Special Features:
- Good place at a great location.RandCVIPDined on 7/26/2012Good place at a great location. Food was pretty good, but really this place is about the location.Special Features:
- Cute, hidden gem. Food wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/17/2012Cute, hidden gem. Food was amazing! Ahi had great flavor (and I don't eat seafood!). Would definately order it again. Small place, not fancy, but good food. Lost the waitress for awhile. Sat at the table for about 10 min trying to pay the bill and leave and she was nowhere to be found.Special Features:
- It's a joint. Nothing specialOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 6/26/2012It's a joint. Nothing special - the food is predictable and average. It's close to the beach, but not on it. Lacking pzzazz.
- This place was good once.CC60yrsVIPDined on 5/27/2012This place was good once. Not now, went there for Sunday "brunch" which is just the regular menu. Food ok service poor. Lots of other places to go like World Famous or The green flash for better food and service.Special Features:
- We decided to have breakfastOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 4/28/2012We decided to have breakfast at the beach and found this on Open Table. Before we even walked, 3 +'s: Parking lot, able to book on Open Table so no wait and outdoor dining. We sat outside on the upper deck and it was great. Nobody was hardly there at 10am on a Saturday! Can't beat a $2.50 mimosa. The biggest surprise was that the food was really good. We had the huevos rancheros and it was outstanding. Sauce was homemade and very well balanced. Will be back.Special Features:
- So soOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/25/2012Average food. Sea food stew and pasta seasoning was pasty and dry. Expected much more from previous ratings.
- We had friends in from outOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/17/2012We had friends in from out of town who wanted to eat at the beach. Every place right on the beach was a zoo! I saw the positive reviews online and decided to give Nick's a try. Although not right on the beach the high quality food and outstanding service made it a wonderful evening and we will highly recommend Nick's. Remember the parking at any beach location can be a little tricky so give your self plenty of time.Special Features:
- Great place to watch the game.OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 1/1/2012Great place to watch the game. Bar full of Charger fans.... food was good. We had a good time
- Not a great, or even goodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 11/24/2011Not a great, or even good Thanksgiving experience. We were seated at the worst table - right next to the front door, in the bar, in full view of the kitchen - even though we had a reservation for the Thanksgiving dinner. The bar was full of noisy patrons wathcing a football game, not great ambiance for having dinner out on Thanksgiving. The glasses of wine we were served had already turned. The green beans were extremely undercooked, the stuffing had no flavor. I understand the price was low, but if you're going to advertise a special Thanksgiving meal, at last try to make it halfway good and don't seat reservations at the worst table in the house. The pie also was burned and was literally 3/4" tall.
- We made 4 pm reservationsOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/24/2011We made 4 pm reservations and decided to go early. I called and Sarah was able to accommodate us an hour early with no problems. The food, Thanksgiving dinner including pie for dessert, was appropriately priced and just the right portion. Our server was friendly and provided great service.
- Felt the meal was pretty genericOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/24/2011Felt the meal was pretty generic and bland! No option for those who don' like pumpkin pie, a good apple option would have made us feel like they cared! Probably wouldn't return.Special Features:
- Great restaurant -- NEW menu! WeeledaroseDined on 10/7/2011Great restaurant -- NEW menu! We go to Nick's on a regular basis.Special Features:
- We go to Nick's every FridayeledaroseDined on 9/30/2011We go to Nick's every Friday -- it is a great neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- EXTREMELY loud, kids. NotOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2011EXTREMELY loud, kids. Not exactly what we were expecting. Service was barely okay, don't think they can deal with a full dining room.Special Features:
- The overall experience wasOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 9/9/2011The overall experience was good, but the food was definitely not worth the price. I went there with my boyfriend and we were disappointed with our both of our meals. My fish was overcooked and dry...definitely not worth the price. This place is good for lunch or for hanging out by the bar.Special Features:
- Had poor service and cold food.OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/3/2011Food was delivered cold, drinks were not refilled until after finding a wait staff memeber and requesting it.Special Features:
- It was dark and stuffy whichOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/30/2011It was dark and stuffy which greatly took away from the average food. Service was good.