Nick Ryan's Saloon
157 Jefferson Street
Lexington, KY 40508Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Nick Ryan's Saloon
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nickryans.com/
- Phone: 8592337900x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Saturday 11:00am - 5:00pm
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday & Saturday: 5:30pm - 11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: American, Comfort Food
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Wine
A word from Nick Ryan's Saloon
New restaurant in Lexington's Historic West Suburb. Come enjoy modern American cuisine, atmosphere and good people. 5-10 minute walk to Rupp Arena. Great place to enjoy dinner before the Cats play in Rupp!!!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
- Diners' Choice WinnerNeigborhood Gem
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Nick Ryan's Saloon - Best Restaurants in Lexington ›
Nick Ryan's Saloon reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
great for outdoor dining (71)neighborhood gem (67)fit for foodies (37)special occasion (36)good for groups (34)hot spot (32)great for lunch (23)romantic (16)great for brunch (10)vibrant bar scene (9)notable wine list (8)late-night find (6)scenic view (5)Show More
- Amazing FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/18/2014I've only lived Lexington a short while, but Nick Ryan's is definitely my favorite restaurant thus far. I can't wait to go back and try more dishes. I think the patio would be great during better weather, but even with the enclosures, was a bit chilly when we were there. We asked to move inside, and the staff was accommodating. The atmosphere inside is great, and the food was absolutely delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice for a specail occassion.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/18/2014Our food was hot and prepared correctly. It was lovely to look at but the taste could use some work. Pricey for what you got as well.Special Features:
- Slow start but great experienceMj2008Dined on 10/17/2014The only fault was waiting an additional 15-20 minutes for our reservation table and the bar was just as slammed as the restaurant. Service was great, food was great. Worth the wait, just glad we weren't in a rush.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good jobOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 10/10/2014Took the family durning UK family weekend here. It was outstanding. Not just my steak but everyone's dinner. Highly recommend this place.Special Features:
- Love this placewlhowardDined on 10/10/2014We go for birthdays, anniversaries, and other celebrations. I've never been disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 1creativechief1creativechefDined on 10/10/2014A lovely table, private and with fresh flowers. Drinks reasonably priced. Food was fresh, delicious. and attractively plated. I will return to this restaurant in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/8/2014Went to Nick Ryan's for my birthday dinner. The food was outstanding! Service was also great and we were very impressed with the wine list. Overall greta experience, I would recommend to all!Special Features:
- Great atmosphere, sub par serviceShelbsDined on 10/3/2014Our reservation was at 8, we weren't seated until 8:30. Two of the entrees we ordered were sold out. Drinks took 30 min at one point and dinner took about an hour to come out. The atmosphere and fiod were fantastic though. The delays were most likely due to Keeneland, but an absent (physically and mindedly) server did not help the situation. There was never an apology given for the multiple delays despite our evident frustration.Special Features:
- Nick Ryan's SaloonrighthindDined on 10/3/2014A neighborhood restuarant a few blocks back of downtown Lexington (be forewarned - limited parklng) but excellent food and wine list, and wonderful serivce. Accomodated our ever-changing group of 8-10 in perfect fashion. Great for lunch and the dinner scene wwent from early diners to late night revelers without a hitch. Great kitchen.Special Features:
- Nick Ryan's Lunchtango44Dined on 9/30/2014Three friends and I ate lunch here. Our waiter was great, attentive, friendly and fun (so sorry I cannot remember his name). Everyone was happy with their food. I had a Mediterranean Salad with marinated shrimp (special of the day)...it was delicious and I ate every bite. One friend had Shrimp & Grits, one had the Catfish, one had the Catfish sandwich. All of us were very please with our food and theirs came out hot. Busy during the week at noon with business workers stopping in for a good meal. Fun place, I definitely will go back again.Special Features:
- Things started slowDeannoDined on 9/29/2014Our service started slow but went well after we finally got our drinks. Three of our four meals were excellent. Mine ( the meat load) was average and nothing special.Special Features:
- Excellent DinnerPKTsDined on 9/27/2014Everything about Nick Ryan's was better than expected since we had made a last minute, late reservation. However, the food was delicious and timely! Shane was a very efficient and personable server. Best lettuce wraps ever!Special Features:
- A must-try restaurantdhunter919Dined on 9/26/2014This is truly one of the state's best new restaurants! We sat on the patio on a comfortable, late September evening and it was amazing! The food was excellent and the servers and hostesses were completely professional and courteous. I will be dining here at least once a month from now onSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lunch on patioLeonaVIPDined on 9/25/2014My salad was exceptional ! Beautiful day on patio . Apple pie was yummy!!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014Have dined here on several occasions. The food was good as always. Service was fair at best. Salad was brought to one in the party before the appetizer. Server was not timely in checking on end of meal and bringing check.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/20/2014We are never disappointed when we go to Nick Ryan's. The food is consistently great and the service is top notch.Special Features:
- Overall greatFoodieLife12345Dined on 9/19/2014I loved my filet mignon at Nick Ryan's and everyone really enjoyed their meal. Definitely would recommend to a friendSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Lexington's bestJPM2Dined on 9/13/2014This is the sixth time we have eaten at Nick Ryan's. The service and food have always been top notch. I would highly recommend this restaurant to everyone.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick Ryan'sOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014Wonderful evening, fabulous food, easy walking distance to Rupp Arena!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experienceGirlsnightouterDined on 9/12/2014Food was excellent, service great, we will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Jefferson Street gemSmwlexDined on 9/8/2014Nick Ryans can be trusted for a good meal and good service in a very appealing atmosphere, weather outside on the covered porch or inside among local art in a contemporary setting. Service is always good and the presentation of food is pleasant. The menu is fairly diverse and offers shrimp and grits to some unusual salads. I had the goat cheese & beet salad for lunch and it was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointed...take 2kikiDined on 9/6/2014The steak was very under cooked!! Med rare does not mean dripping blood! I have never heard of capers being in chicken Provencal- not what I expected. The haricot vertis were hard raw green beans with some grease atop...maybe the chef needs to have a few lessons in French cuisine.Special Features:
- Good but not great.....BluegrassCyclerDined on 9/4/2014I really want to love Nick Ryan's and for the restaurant to succeed, however the food is just short of being really flavorful. All of the menu items read well, but most that I have tried fail short of perfection. I will probably continue patronizing as the location is wonderful and the atmosphere very pleasant, but I really hope their food improves. I much prefer frequenting Lexington's wonderful independent restaurant scene and Jefferson Street has really become a foodie's paradise.Special Features:
- A not so special eveningjsowardsDined on 9/2/2014Made a reservation for a Tuesday evening, arrived and found the restaurant fairly empty but we were seated in the bar, wedged in between the only to other groups within sight. Our entire dining experience felt like something out of a college lunch diner and hearing every word of 2 separate conversations wore my patience fairly thin. I have to say that if this is the way they treat patrons that make reservations I would hate to come in unannounced. Service was decent and the food was also good (I had the special, étouffée and my wife had the filet). Nothing extravagant and the butter served with the lukewarm bread was rock solid. ho-hum.Special Features:
- Could've been betterGriffeybirddogDined on 8/29/2014Cod fingers were great for appetizer. Seemed to take forever for our dinner to arrive and when it finally did I knew what took so long. My grouper was waaaaaaaay overcooked. It was honestly almost to the point of having a jerky texture. It looked to be a 4-5oz filet of grouper that should've taken only a few mins to pan sear then finish in the oven for another couple mins. So max cook time on that piece of fish is maybe 5-6 mins tops. Other than the fish being over cooked we enjoyed the rest of the meal and the service was adequate - not great - not bad.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very Tasty!DavidDined on 8/25/2014Great food and cocktails. If you go for nothing more than the Pear Martini and Shrimp Lettuce Wraps. It's worth the trip. Great atmosphere!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BananaDined on 8/18/2014I always have a wonderful dining experience at Nick Ryan's. The patio is a great place to hang out and have drinks and eat. Brought an out of town guest and he loved it too. Will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/16/2014Enjoyable night with good food and good service. Recommend Nick's to anyoneSpecial Features:
- SERVICE DECLINETOMKATVIPDined on 8/14/2014I was with a party of six recently on a Thursday evening. Our waiter did a good job, so I almost have to assume the kitchen was very backed up as it took a very long time to get our meals. I ordered a pork chop well done, it came out very bright pink to red inside. I could not bear to eat it, so the waiter gladly took it back to be cooked some more. When he brought it back to me the other 5 people in my group had finished their entrees. The waiter took the charge for my meal off our bill, which was unexpected, but very nice.Special Features:
- Friendly and FundiningfriendsDined on 8/5/2014We often meet friends at Nick Ryans. It's a fun and friendly atmosphere, and the food is consistently good.Special Features:
- Casual Saturday Night DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/2/2014Met another couple for a Saturday night dinner. Had a drink in the bar waiting for our reservation. Ordered from the Prix-Fixe menu since it was Lexington Restaurant Week. Food was very good. Table service was excellent. My two complaints: There was only one dessert selection (they were out of the others) when it came time for dessert. We checked in early for our reservation and went to the bar to wait for our table. When we went to check on the status of our table (15 min. after our reservation) they said they had called our name and we didn't answer and they thought we had left. Overall, a good experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WinchesterDined on 7/31/2014Best grouper I've ever had. Grit cake was outstanding. Dessert was exceptional. We will be back often!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaraunt week experiencemarymDined on 7/31/2014Both of our startea were a bit lacking, my Napoleon was bland and not too tasty. My boyfriends main course the beef he didn't care for at all, he left most of the plate, the server didn't comment on this. My shot ribs were decent. The derby Pie was great for desert but I think should have come alamode. All in all the food was decent but we were looking for good, great or excellent.Special Features:
- It was OKapplebrownbetty1Dined on 7/30/2014We went for restaurant week. Nothing wowed us about the food. Cocktails were prepared perfectly--I'd go back just for drinks. It's very loud inside. Server, while polite, seemed to forget us most of the night. It does have a beautiful, long front porch for outdoor dining.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Service and food!Jen7231Dined on 7/29/2014We were seated immediately which was a PLUS! The waitress was very friendly, helpful in explaining dishes, and efficient. The food was very good and everyone enjoyed the evening. We will be back to celebrate more birthdays in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, so-so serviceJWMLexDined on 7/26/2014This was the 3rd time I have eaten here with a reservation, and every time, I have been seated 25+ minutes after my reservation time, despite showing up early. This time was during Restaurant Week, so I understand that it may have been more hectic, but there were only 2 of us, and the hostess did not even acknowledge our wait. This all tells me that this is commonplace. Worst, after waiting nearly a 1/2 hour to sit, my entree came out when I was midway done with my salad (I am NOT a slow eater), so it was lukewarm when I finally was able to to eat it. Having said that, I have stopped in here on a weekday and sat at the bar for dinner, and had perfect service. Bottom line: food is good, but I would not suggest it if timing matters.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightfulBlueOakDined on 7/26/2014Reservation and seating process was smooth. We sampled the restaurant during a very busy promotional period and I expected it to be crowded, hectic, and unorganized but nothing could be farther from the truth. We were seated promptly, the dining area was full and everyone was quiet and respectful. The food was delicious, the cocktails were festive and seasonal. Our overall experience was very favorable and we will be coming back and recommending the restaurant to our friends.Special Features:
- Restrauant WeekMikeDined on 7/26/2014Great selection! Food and service was great. The place to go.Special Features:
- Consistency During Food WeekLexingtonfoodieVIPDined on 7/25/2014We were there during Lexington food week and although the menu was limited during the event and the crowd was big even at closing the quality of the food remained constant. Having had negative experiences last year at other restaurants during this event I was thrilled that Nick Ryan's was able to maintain their quality during an event like this.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PamelaJ1960Dined on 7/25/2014Actually this was the first bad meal we have ever had at Nick Ryan's. We love the ambiance and usually the food. Must have been a bad night for the chef.Special Features: