Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
9 Penn Plaza
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nickandstefsnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125634444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3pm
Monday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday we are open on event nights at Madison Square Garden only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Daniel Maggio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room and Bar for 55 Seated and 75 Buffet.
- Private Party Contact: Sharon Colabello 212-949-8248x
A word from Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
Voted "one of the Top 10 best steakhouses in New York City," Nick & Stef's is a masterful blend of ultra-stylish contemporary design and time-honored culinary artistry. Directly adjacent to Madison Square Garden on West 33rd St. at 8th Ave., it's the place to eat before and after concerts and games for succulent dry-aged certified black angus steaks, the freshest seafood and signature side dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
129 reviews since June 27, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (45)great for lunch (41)good for groups (38)fit for foodies (36)neighborhood gem (31)notable wine list (16)vibrant bar scene (16)romantic (16)hot spot (14)late-night find (11)great for brunch (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- A great place for eats and biz!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/22/2014Thank you for accommodating my request for a table conducive for business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to MSGJeremyfromsummitDined on 10/17/2014Edible but mediocre. But super convenient if you are going to an event at Madison Sq. Garden
- Not a top 5 steakhouseRickyDDined on 10/14/2014I read it was a top 5 steakhouse in new York not even close. very disappointed bake clams tasteless and the porterhouse for 2 was not cooked correctly. Will go to another steakhouse like Keens or Uncle Jacks that is close to MSG that know how to cook a steak.
- ThisIsAGreatPlaceLovethisplaceDined on 10/13/2014We were going to the Knicks game and wanted to have a nice meal before the game. This place is more than nice, with great food, a great wine list and the service was outstanding. If you want a high end meal, this is the place to good do. The bar was also hopping so if you want just to have drinks this is also the placeSpecial Features:
- Decent steak restaurantDoctorMVIPDined on 10/11/2014If you join Patina Group online, you get a $50 gift certificate on your birthday. We used it and enjoyed a very good porterhouse steak for 2 for half the price. One of our companions got a steak ordered medium rare that was grossly undercooked. In contrast, potatoes we ordered were burned on edges. Also disappointing that we had to wait almost a half hour for their dessert, apple cobbler. Overall, however, the food was tasty and the room was mostly empty because there wasn't a game that night at Madison Square Garden. We'll probably give it another try for next birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was disappointed this timeSDfoodieDined on 10/9/2014We've been to Nick & Stef's before and enjoyed our previous meals but were disappointed this visit. Our service was excellent, so I want to make sure our waiter is not to blame for anything. We ordered the calamari for an appetizer, and we thought that was excellent. Our entrees were ok, my husband's filet was a bit overcooked and bland, the side to my crab cakes also bland, but what really turned us off were the mashed potatoes we ordered as a side. They tasted like bad instant potatoes with a terrible aftertaste. Also, the beer selection was poor. Not a single IPA. This visit will probably be our last.Special Features:
- Try the Nick and the soupOnePennVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great business lunch Shrimp were great. The steak sandwitch was perfectSpecial Features:
- Hopefully an off nightunusualDined on 10/3/2014This is my go to place for whenever I go to MSG. I never had a bad experience until tonight. I'm just going to chalk this up to an off night. The food and service is usually excellent, but tonight steaks were over cooked and under seasoned. The baked clams were not the same as I had before. Not sure if some type of change was made in the kitchen, but I will not let this deter me from coming back. As disappointed as I was, I will give them another try, and I just recommended them to a friend, so I hope they have a better experience. It was a Rangers pre-season game, so I'm hoping it was for them too. I'll be back and let you know how it went, hopefully a lot better than this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prior to concertOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/2/2014Haved dined here numerous times prior to a concert at MSG. We always enjoyed the restaurant. Service was good and so was the food. It was also our 40th anniversary that even. I informed this with my reservation. I did not expect anything for free, however, the server did not mention this. She was probably not told. It would have been nice to have it acknowledged.Special Features:
- SteakhousePastaholicVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is your typical steakhouse. Nothing out of ordinary or extraordinary if looking for a good to better than average steakhouse in NYC. Food was good, service was above average, noise level loud, seating of two tops along wall make it impossible to have a private dinner conversation. Tables are less than a few inches apart and we felt we were seated at same table with other guests. Location was perfect for Madison Square Garden event. Expect good steak, good service, but if a table for 2 expect a congested barely elbow room seating along wall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OnePennVIPDined on 9/29/2014The Nick burger was great for lunch. Nice bar area. The Lobster rositto was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service ok foodBeemer750Dined on 9/25/2014We were a party of 2 and the service was excellent from the time we came through the door when they took our coats. The waiter was attentive but not there when you did not want to see him. The steak was ok but not as tender as I would have liked. We also had fish which was great and also cooked right. They have a number of tables for 2 lined up next to each other and we are not fond of sitting that way as you cannot have a conversation without the tables on both sides knowing what you are saying.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014Food was great, made to order. Portion sizes were decent, the sides were enough to share between 2 (or 3). Atmosphere was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good entrees; sides are okaylupeDined on 9/23/2014our steaks were cooked perfectly! the waiter was very helpful and attentive. the sides are a la carte and weren't very special for the price. $11 for fries and $11 for mac and cheese...neither were impressive but we were enjoying the rest of the meal and good wine
- Great for a business meeting!DeborahDined on 9/17/2014In the 20+ years that I have traveled to NYC, I have never experienced such a relaxed atmosphere. We never felt like we were being pushed out of the table (as is the case in many eateries in NYC). We leisurely ate our main courses (which were great) and then conducted a business meeting over dessert without interruption. We never felt rushed - on the contrary, they were very accommodating. In fact, we didn't even notice that we were the last table in the place. My guests were late arriving to the restaurant but the hostess just smiled and indicated that wouldn't be a problem. The servers were very pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu, the beer and the wine. Nick & Stef's is now my "go-to" place for dinner when I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAdison Square GArdenmlevDined on 9/17/2014Very good and convenient for Madison Square Garden. The food was very good and service was very good. Reservation time was honored timely. We were not rushed at the end of the meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent food...best burger I've ever had...Everyone at the table agreed top notch restaurant.Special Features:
- Beyond expectationsnjshorelocalDined on 9/13/2014From our cocktails to dessert...to the secret stairs up to see The Eagles concert...5 stars. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best short RibsOnePennVIPDined on 9/10/2014The Short Ribs were great Lunch was very good. The Lobster Ravioli with the red pepper was a good choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!NowhereManVIPDined on 9/3/2014We stayed a long time but were treated extremely well by the staff notably the by the receptionist who was outstanding. "Delicious" was the comment from my guest.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014We went on a very quiet August Saturday night--the place was empty. Service was fine and the food was very good. We had lobster (the summery lobster festival menu is great) and steak. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the peppercorn sauce (you can choose from about a half dozen sauces to be served on the side) was wonderful and really complemented the steaks. The 8 oz fillet was just the right size. The caesar salad was ok. I would imagine that this place gets pretty noisy when filled to capacity, but the night we were there it was quiet and calm. We'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a terrific placeStevek01Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent restaurant for for business lunches or dinners. Food and service were very good. I have been there a number of times and never felt rushed or ignored. The location to Penn Station is an added advantage.
- Just Okay!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Ordered a steak medium well and it was closer to well. Peach cobbler for dessert was actually peach soup. This meal was barely tolerable. I would not go back to this restaurant again.
- Very expensive.GailDined on 8/14/2014Went for restaurant week and the specials were not very good. So we ate off the regular menu and spent $49 just for a fillet. Not including salad, soup, vegetable, or even a side of potatoes. Of course we didn't have dessert. Won't recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Very nice, but...NYCDinerVIPDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was very nice on the inside, great ambience. I had the NYC Restaurant Week Special, with the grilled octopus, strip steak and chocolate mousse cake. The food was very good, though not as great as I think a meal from a steakhouse should be (to be fair I find that with all the Restaurant Week specials at any restaurant). I especially liked the octopus, very tasty and not chewy. Too bad there wasn't more of it. The service was ok at best, there were long stretches where I did not see my server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite meal for first NYC visittranbvelDined on 8/7/2014This was a delicious and fun meal for our first visit to NYC - and definitely our favorite of the trip. We started with baked clams and calamari - both delicious and the calamari was nice and crispy. Followed with the short ribs, filet medium, brussels sprouts, plain lettuce salad and shrimp cocktail. All were greatly enjoyed. Good bottle of wine, champagne cocktails. It was pricey, to be sure, but in keeping with the prices of the other comparable places. Loved our table right by the window for people watching. Service was fantastic - they got us in a bit earlier than our reservations and even came outside to look for us, as it was too crowded inside to wait. Definitely recommend but do get a reservation!!!Special Features:
- Perfect Start to a night outTriptoMSGDined on 8/7/2014This was perfect for a great dinner before an event at the Garden. Great food and prompt professional service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014food was very good. service too. a bit noisy but would return especially when going to the garden. very convenient.Special Features:
- A very good place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Food is very good. Near our office, which works out very well for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jab1Dined on 8/7/2014from 1 to 10 the Porterhouse for 2 was a 8. The bar service was excelent as was the wait staff and hostess. Dining room was clean and nice to be in. Plenty of room between tables. I was seated quickly and had my drink order taken and were told the specials. Our starter "Lobster Risotto" was one the best I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4tuneDined on 8/6/2014Went for NYC restaurant week, and for the steakhouse listings, they had the best dinner selections. I had the lobster salad, and the lobster portions were generous. My friend had the steak, and thouroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedfoodieandmermaidDined on 8/6/2014Service was TERRIBLE. Food was fine. Ambiance was eh. 2.5 stars.
- Restaurant week dinerNewtoACDined on 8/5/2014This was my first time participating in Restaurant Week and I picked the right restaurant. The food was delicious and the ambience is lovely. It's well lit and quiet, which is excellent since the restaurant is located in midtown. And the waiter was very attentive. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningDisappointedDined on 8/1/2014Food, drink and service were all very good. Two couples out on a Friday night had a few drinks at bar then sat at table to finish and continue our meal. Restauant was not crowded, possibly because summer time and concert at MSG. Arrived 45 minutes late and hostess held reservation while one couple waited. My appetizer of grilled octopus was not filling, but all three salads were plentiful. All four of us ate steak and shared some side vegtable dishes. Only my steak included french fries that I did not expect and would have substituted for baked potatoe or something else. The prices are high (shown as three $ signs), but it should be expected for NYC steakhouse. For those driving, check website for parking coupons to save money.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!NYBABUDined on 8/1/2014We dined here prior to going to the Blake Shelton concert at MSG. It was very convenient, there's an entrance to the Garden right in the restaurant. The steak was great! Best macaroni and cheese I ever had. And it was restaurant week so we got a great deal price wise. I would definitely recommend. The people at the table next to us had a child with food allergies, after they ordered a member of the kitchen staff came out to their table and discussed exactly what the child could or couldn't eat & how it would be prepared, kudos to their attention to customer needs.Special Features:
- Great experience!evj12Dined on 7/30/2014Went here for restaurant week-lunch with my 2 co-workers. Our waiter was amazing and friendly,always checking if we needed anything. I had the octopus, skirt steak, and chocolate mousse which I all enjoyed. I was happy with my dining experience here and would def recommend Nick and Stef's to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular serviceBBofNYDined on 7/30/2014When we advised our waiter that we were short on time (had to catch a flight) he effortlessly insured that we had our full meal, including coffee and dessert, within our timeframe. This was a business lunch and we had everything we needed - delicious food in an environment that was quiet so that we could hear the conversation at our table. Even with our limited time, we did not feel rushed at all as our waiter did not interrupt but seemed to sense when we needed something.Special Features:
- JILLMARC98Dined on 7/29/2014We went to Nick + Stef's Steakhouse for restaurant week. We began with the Heirloom Tomato & Watermelon Salad that was vibrant and tasty. We both ordered the New York Strip with Fries and a side of Mac n Cheese to share. The steak was well seasoned and flavorful and both we're cooked perfectly. The Mac n cheese was piping hot, cheesy, and delicious. It was enough for two people. I thoroughly enjoyed the Peach Cobbler for dessert and my husband loved the chocolate cake. It's in an easy to access location on 33rd and 8th. A very nice decor and a good staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay ExperiencePurpleDotDined on 7/25/2014They had a pretty good menu for Restaurant Week. Their bread rolls were really good but the longer ones were forgettable. Grilled Octopus for appetizer was overdone so it was rubbery. My companions both had the Chilled Pea and Lemongrass Soup and both of them liked it. We all had the Grilled Aged NY Strip which was flavorful and tasty. I ordered mine medium well which I thought was just a tad undercooked. Sadly, dessert - peach cobbler and strawberry shortcake - was disappointing. I was not happy with the service we received after I decided not to order wine with my meal. From then on, the waiter would just hurriedly ask if we needed anything and never made eye contact while he would wait solicitously at other tables.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Very professional and friendly staff. Good wine selection. Ribeye was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.