Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
9 Penn Plaza
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nickandstefsnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 563-4444
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3pm
Monday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday we are open on event nights at Madison Square Garden only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Daniel Maggio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room and Bar for 55 Seated and 75 Buffet.
- Private Party Contact: Sharon Colabello 212-949-8248x
A word from Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
Voted "one of the Top 10 best steakhouses in New York City," Nick & Stef's is a masterful blend of ultra-stylish contemporary design and time-honored culinary artistry. Directly adjacent to Madison Square Garden on West 33rd St. at 8th Ave., it's the place to eat before and after concerts and games for succulent dry-aged certified black angus steaks, the freshest seafood and signature side dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
136 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (48)good for groups (45)fit for foodies (39)great for lunch (34)neighborhood gem (32)vibrant bar scene (21)hot spot (16)notable wine list (16)romantic (12)late-night find (10)kid-friendly (5)great for brunch (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Great food coupled with excellent serviceLindaVIPDined on 11/22/2014Perfect spot to meet up before an event at MSG or anything near Penn Station. Service is excellent. Menu is consistent with most high end steakhouses. You won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- flyersfanDined on 11/19/2014Went to Rangers vs. Flyers game and being from New Jersey was so convenient! ! Great atmosphere and food. Service was outstanding! !!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First PickOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/13/2014This is always the first pick for dinner before a Ranger Game. Staff is always friendly and attentive and knows how to get you fed and out without making you feel rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nick & Stef's SteakhouseJT2ReviewsVIPDined on 11/7/2014Fabulous food and great service! Love the location near penn Station, easy train ride from NJ...Special Features:
- Fantastic food but a little priceyLirvineDined on 11/6/2014Great food and excellent service. Although it showed cost as $31-50 it would be hard to eat for less than $50-75 without drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great spot before the game ...Devil666Dined on 11/1/2014I always eat here before the Ranger games. Perfect spot with easy access to Garden after dinner. Food is always good, excellent choices and good service. FYI, get there early as it can get crowded and noisy about an hour before game time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent food at a high cost.travelannVIPDined on 10/31/2014This is a large restaurant but there weren't many people there which is a shame, because the food is really good and the atmosphere is pleasant and relatively quiet. I was with a friend and we both enjoyed our food and drinks - my petite fillet mignon was excellent! This is a pricey place, and has the old steak-house habit of charging extra for all the side dishes, although my friend's whole branzino dinner came with a nice side dish. And he was extremely pleased with the meal. Drinks are also high priced - guess this place caters to the high-roller sports crowd, since it's located in Madison Square Garden. Have also been here for lunch which is a pretty good buy.Special Features:
- AwesomeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/29/2014I had the prime rib which was awesome and just everything was great Many ThanksSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect pre game dinnerZenksDined on 10/29/2014We chose Nick & Stef's because of its proximity to MSG- we were having an early dinner before the Knicks game. The service was excellent, and the food surprisingly good. We both had salads first, then rack of lamb and salmon for our entrees (with a sauteed spinach side) and a delicious NY cheesecake for dessert. Everything was excellent. I'm giving it 4-stars because the prices were very high- $18 for a glass of wine! But, the place was packed at 6pm, so I guess there are enough pre-game diners willing to pay their prices. Including us- we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Perfect for an MSG EventtscanDined on 10/28/2014This is my 3rd time to N&S' and it has been consistently excellent. This time was with a group of 8 and they were very courteous by recommending ways for us all to share plates since we were in a time crunch for the concert in MSG. Can get a bit loud but definitely energetic and lively. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great for games at the gardennettles542Dined on 10/27/2014I have been here dozens of times, never had a bad steak. Service is always prompt and gets you out just in time for the game at msg.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Meal but a bit loud at timesJohnSDined on 10/27/2014Good meal here and they can turn around your order quickly if you selected that location for an MSG event. I didn't as was not prepared for the noise level. If MSG event the night you want to go, make a reservation for 7:00. Also was out of 2 different house wines on a Monday night.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Glad we chose this place!LuvasteakDined on 10/24/2014So, it was our 3rd anniversary dinner and we could not have picked a better restaurant to celebrate! Our server, Roger, was excellent. He recommended the crab cakes and the filet mignon, so I followed his lead, and he did not steer me wrong! My better half had the chopped salad and the Bronzino - wow! Everything was perfect! We tried to finish the desert, but we were just too full. Roger was very friendly, attentive, and understood how important the evening was for us. The managers even passed by to ensure that everything was perfect. Hat off to the chef and everyone involved. Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great steaksfoodieDined on 10/24/2014Steaks were cooked to perfection. Our waiter was excellent very knowledgeable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Intimate SpotOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/23/2014Great food and ambiance. Servers always welcoming and polite.Special Features:
- LolaDined on 10/23/2014Was very pleased with this find. Great lunch menu, my guest had a burger and I had the amazing lobster club. Both were perfect. Can't wait to come backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CoolGrandmaDined on 10/22/2014We took my grandson who loves steak. He thought it was great. Two of us had the crab cakes which were very good. The Nick and Stef chopped salad was very good too.Special Features:
- Great mealFunkyFredVIPDined on 10/22/2014Took my client to Nick and Stefs though she was a bit hesitant. I told her how great the food was as they have a new chef and she loved her meal of Short Ribs.... got my usual Bronzino and again it was awesome Highly recommendSpecial Features:
- A great place for eats and biz!WestSideMariaDined on 10/22/2014Thank you for accommodating my request for a table conducive for business conversation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Convenient to MSGJeremyfromsummitVIPDined on 10/17/2014Edible but mediocre. But super convenient if you are going to an event at Madison Sq. Garden
- Not a top 5 steakhouseRickyDDined on 10/14/2014I read it was a top 5 steakhouse in new York not even close. very disappointed bake clams tasteless and the porterhouse for 2 was not cooked correctly. Will go to another steakhouse like Keens or Uncle Jacks that is close to MSG that know how to cook a steak.
- ThisIsAGreatPlaceLovethisplaceDined on 10/13/2014We were going to the Knicks game and wanted to have a nice meal before the game. This place is more than nice, with great food, a great wine list and the service was outstanding. If you want a high end meal, this is the place to good do. The bar was also hopping so if you want just to have drinks this is also the placeSpecial Features:
- Decent steak restaurantDoctorMVIPDined on 10/11/2014If you join Patina Group online, you get a $50 gift certificate on your birthday. We used it and enjoyed a very good porterhouse steak for 2 for half the price. One of our companions got a steak ordered medium rare that was grossly undercooked. In contrast, potatoes we ordered were burned on edges. Also disappointing that we had to wait almost a half hour for their dessert, apple cobbler. Overall, however, the food was tasty and the room was mostly empty because there wasn't a game that night at Madison Square Garden. We'll probably give it another try for next birthday dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was disappointed this timeSDfoodieDined on 10/9/2014We've been to Nick & Stef's before and enjoyed our previous meals but were disappointed this visit. Our service was excellent, so I want to make sure our waiter is not to blame for anything. We ordered the calamari for an appetizer, and we thought that was excellent. Our entrees were ok, my husband's filet was a bit overcooked and bland, the side to my crab cakes also bland, but what really turned us off were the mashed potatoes we ordered as a side. They tasted like bad instant potatoes with a terrible aftertaste. Also, the beer selection was poor. Not a single IPA. This visit will probably be our last.Special Features:
- Try the Nick and the soupOnePennVIPDined on 10/8/2014Great business lunch Shrimp were great. The steak sandwitch was perfectSpecial Features:
- Hopefully an off nightunusualDined on 10/3/2014This is my go to place for whenever I go to MSG. I never had a bad experience until tonight. I'm just going to chalk this up to an off night. The food and service is usually excellent, but tonight steaks were over cooked and under seasoned. The baked clams were not the same as I had before. Not sure if some type of change was made in the kitchen, but I will not let this deter me from coming back. As disappointed as I was, I will give them another try, and I just recommended them to a friend, so I hope they have a better experience. It was a Rangers pre-season game, so I'm hoping it was for them too. I'll be back and let you know how it went, hopefully a lot better than this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Prior to concertOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 10/2/2014Haved dined here numerous times prior to a concert at MSG. We always enjoyed the restaurant. Service was good and so was the food. It was also our 40th anniversary that even. I informed this with my reservation. I did not expect anything for free, however, the server did not mention this. She was probably not told. It would have been nice to have it acknowledged.Special Features:
- SteakhousePastaholicVIPDined on 10/2/2014This is your typical steakhouse. Nothing out of ordinary or extraordinary if looking for a good to better than average steakhouse in NYC. Food was good, service was above average, noise level loud, seating of two tops along wall make it impossible to have a private dinner conversation. Tables are less than a few inches apart and we felt we were seated at same table with other guests. Location was perfect for Madison Square Garden event. Expect good steak, good service, but if a table for 2 expect a congested barely elbow room seating along wall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OnePennVIPDined on 9/29/2014The Nick burger was great for lunch. Nice bar area. The Lobster rositto was perfectSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service ok foodBeemer750Dined on 9/25/2014We were a party of 2 and the service was excellent from the time we came through the door when they took our coats. The waiter was attentive but not there when you did not want to see him. The steak was ok but not as tender as I would have liked. We also had fish which was great and also cooked right. They have a number of tables for 2 lined up next to each other and we are not fond of sitting that way as you cannot have a conversation without the tables on both sides knowing what you are saying.Special Features:
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/25/2014Food was great, made to order. Portion sizes were decent, the sides were enough to share between 2 (or 3). Atmosphere was nice!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good entrees; sides are okaylupeDined on 9/23/2014our steaks were cooked perfectly! the waiter was very helpful and attentive. the sides are a la carte and weren't very special for the price. $11 for fries and $11 for mac and cheese...neither were impressive but we were enjoying the rest of the meal and good wine
- Great for a business meeting!DeborahDined on 9/17/2014In the 20+ years that I have traveled to NYC, I have never experienced such a relaxed atmosphere. We never felt like we were being pushed out of the table (as is the case in many eateries in NYC). We leisurely ate our main courses (which were great) and then conducted a business meeting over dessert without interruption. We never felt rushed - on the contrary, they were very accommodating. In fact, we didn't even notice that we were the last table in the place. My guests were late arriving to the restaurant but the hostess just smiled and indicated that wouldn't be a problem. The servers were very pleasant and knowledgeable about the menu, the beer and the wine. Nick & Stef's is now my "go-to" place for dinner when I'm in town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MAdison Square GArdenmlevDined on 9/17/2014Very good and convenient for Madison Square Garden. The food was very good and service was very good. Reservation time was honored timely. We were not rushed at the end of the meal.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/17/2014Excellent food...best burger I've ever had...Everyone at the table agreed top notch restaurant.Special Features:
- Beyond expectationsnjshorelocalDined on 9/13/2014From our cocktails to dessert...to the secret stairs up to see The Eagles concert...5 stars. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best short RibsOnePennVIPDined on 9/10/2014The Short Ribs were great Lunch was very good. The Lobster Ravioli with the red pepper was a good choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!NowhereManVIPDined on 9/3/2014We stayed a long time but were treated extremely well by the staff notably the by the receptionist who was outstanding. "Delicious" was the comment from my guest.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014We went on a very quiet August Saturday night--the place was empty. Service was fine and the food was very good. We had lobster (the summery lobster festival menu is great) and steak. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the peppercorn sauce (you can choose from about a half dozen sauces to be served on the side) was wonderful and really complemented the steaks. The 8 oz fillet was just the right size. The caesar salad was ok. I would imagine that this place gets pretty noisy when filled to capacity, but the night we were there it was quiet and calm. We'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a terrific placeStevek01Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent restaurant for for business lunches or dinners. Food and service were very good. I have been there a number of times and never felt rushed or ignored. The location to Penn Station is an added advantage.