Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
9 Penn Plaza
New York, NY 10001Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $31 to $50
Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nickandstefsnyc.com/
- Phone: 2125634444x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Friday, 11:30am - 3pm
Monday - Saturday, 3:00pm - 10:00pm
Sunday we are open on event nights at Madison Square Garden only.
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Daniel Maggio
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Private Room and Bar for 55 Seated and 75 Buffet.
A word from Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse
Voted "one of the Top 10 best steakhouses in New York City," Nick & Stef's is a masterful blend of ultra-stylish contemporary design and time-honored culinary artistry. Directly adjacent to Madison Square Garden on West 33rd St. at 8th Ave., it's the place to eat before and after concerts and games for succulent dry-aged certified black angus steaks, the freshest seafood and signature side dishes.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nick & Stef’s Steakhouse reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since May 19, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelModerate
great for lunch (40)special occasion (39)good for groups (33)fit for foodies (30)neighborhood gem (22)romantic (17)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (11)hot spot (11)great for brunch (9)late-night find (8)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (1)Show More
- Beyond expectationsOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/13/2014From our cocktails to dessert...to the secret stairs up to see The Eagles concert...5 stars. Perfect!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best short RibsOnePennVIPDined on 9/10/2014The Short Ribs were great Lunch was very good. The Lobster Ravioli with the red pepper was a good choiceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Will be back!NowhereManVIPDined on 9/3/2014We stayed a long time but were treated extremely well by the staff notably the by the receptionist who was outstanding. "Delicious" was the comment from my guest.Special Features:
- Excellent!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 8/23/2014We went on a very quiet August Saturday night--the place was empty. Service was fine and the food was very good. We had lobster (the summery lobster festival menu is great) and steak. The steaks were cooked perfectly and the peppercorn sauce (you can choose from about a half dozen sauces to be served on the side) was wonderful and really complemented the steaks. The 8 oz fillet was just the right size. The caesar salad was ok. I would imagine that this place gets pretty noisy when filled to capacity, but the night we were there it was quiet and calm. We'll be back.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall a terrific placeStevek01Dined on 8/21/2014Excellent restaurant for for business lunches or dinners. Food and service were very good. I have been there a number of times and never felt rushed or ignored. The location to Penn Station is an added advantage.
- Just Okay!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/14/2014Ordered a steak medium well and it was closer to well. Peach cobbler for dessert was actually peach soup. This meal was barely tolerable. I would not go back to this restaurant again.
- Very expensive.GailDined on 8/14/2014Went for restaurant week and the specials were not very good. So we ate off the regular menu and spent $49 just for a fillet. Not including salad, soup, vegetable, or even a side of potatoes. Of course we didn't have dessert. Won't recommend it to anyone.Special Features:
- Very nice, but...NYCDinerVIPDined on 8/11/2014The restaurant was very nice on the inside, great ambience. I had the NYC Restaurant Week Special, with the grilled octopus, strip steak and chocolate mousse cake. The food was very good, though not as great as I think a meal from a steakhouse should be (to be fair I find that with all the Restaurant Week specials at any restaurant). I especially liked the octopus, very tasty and not chewy. Too bad there wasn't more of it. The service was ok at best, there were long stretches where I did not see my server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Favorite meal for first NYC visittranbvelDined on 8/7/2014This was a delicious and fun meal for our first visit to NYC - and definitely our favorite of the trip. We started with baked clams and calamari - both delicious and the calamari was nice and crispy. Followed with the short ribs, filet medium, brussels sprouts, plain lettuce salad and shrimp cocktail. All were greatly enjoyed. Good bottle of wine, champagne cocktails. It was pricey, to be sure, but in keeping with the prices of the other comparable places. Loved our table right by the window for people watching. Service was fantastic - they got us in a bit earlier than our reservations and even came outside to look for us, as it was too crowded inside to wait. Definitely recommend but do get a reservation!!!Special Features:
- Perfect Start to a night outTriptoMSGDined on 8/7/2014This was perfect for a great dinner before an event at the Garden. Great food and prompt professional service!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/7/2014food was very good. service too. a bit noisy but would return especially when going to the garden. very convenient.Special Features:
- A very good place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/7/2014Food is very good. Near our office, which works out very well for us.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- jab1Dined on 8/7/2014from 1 to 10 the Porterhouse for 2 was a 8. The bar service was excelent as was the wait staff and hostess. Dining room was clean and nice to be in. Plenty of room between tables. I was seated quickly and had my drink order taken and were told the specials. Our starter "Lobster Risotto" was one the best I ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- 4tuneDined on 8/6/2014Went for NYC restaurant week, and for the steakhouse listings, they had the best dinner selections. I had the lobster salad, and the lobster portions were generous. My friend had the steak, and thouroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- underwhelmedfoodieandmermaidDined on 8/6/2014Service was TERRIBLE. Food was fine. Ambiance was eh. 2.5 stars.
- Restaurant week dinerNewtoACDined on 8/5/2014This was my first time participating in Restaurant Week and I picked the right restaurant. The food was delicious and the ambience is lovely. It's well lit and quiet, which is excellent since the restaurant is located in midtown. And the waiter was very attentive. I'd go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable eveningDisappointedDined on 8/1/2014Food, drink and service were all very good. Two couples out on a Friday night had a few drinks at bar then sat at table to finish and continue our meal. Restauant was not crowded, possibly because summer time and concert at MSG. Arrived 45 minutes late and hostess held reservation while one couple waited. My appetizer of grilled octopus was not filling, but all three salads were plentiful. All four of us ate steak and shared some side vegtable dishes. Only my steak included french fries that I did not expect and would have substituted for baked potatoe or something else. The prices are high (shown as three $ signs), but it should be expected for NYC steakhouse. For those driving, check website for parking coupons to save money.Special Features:
- Great Restaurant!NYBABUDined on 8/1/2014We dined here prior to going to the Blake Shelton concert at MSG. It was very convenient, there's an entrance to the Garden right in the restaurant. The steak was great! Best macaroni and cheese I ever had. And it was restaurant week so we got a great deal price wise. I would definitely recommend. The people at the table next to us had a child with food allergies, after they ordered a member of the kitchen staff came out to their table and discussed exactly what the child could or couldn't eat & how it would be prepared, kudos to their attention to customer needs.Special Features:
- Great experience!evj12Dined on 7/30/2014Went here for restaurant week-lunch with my 2 co-workers. Our waiter was amazing and friendly,always checking if we needed anything. I had the octopus, skirt steak, and chocolate mousse which I all enjoyed. I was happy with my dining experience here and would def recommend Nick and Stef's to others.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Spectacular serviceBBofNYDined on 7/30/2014When we advised our waiter that we were short on time (had to catch a flight) he effortlessly insured that we had our full meal, including coffee and dessert, within our timeframe. This was a business lunch and we had everything we needed - delicious food in an environment that was quiet so that we could hear the conversation at our table. Even with our limited time, we did not feel rushed at all as our waiter did not interrupt but seemed to sense when we needed something.Special Features:
- JILLMARC98Dined on 7/29/2014We went to Nick + Stef's Steakhouse for restaurant week. We began with the Heirloom Tomato & Watermelon Salad that was vibrant and tasty. We both ordered the New York Strip with Fries and a side of Mac n Cheese to share. The steak was well seasoned and flavorful and both we're cooked perfectly. The Mac n cheese was piping hot, cheesy, and delicious. It was enough for two people. I thoroughly enjoyed the Peach Cobbler for dessert and my husband loved the chocolate cake. It's in an easy to access location on 33rd and 8th. A very nice decor and a good staff.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Okay ExperiencePurpleDotDined on 7/25/2014They had a pretty good menu for Restaurant Week. Their bread rolls were really good but the longer ones were forgettable. Grilled Octopus for appetizer was overdone so it was rubbery. My companions both had the Chilled Pea and Lemongrass Soup and both of them liked it. We all had the Grilled Aged NY Strip which was flavorful and tasty. I ordered mine medium well which I thought was just a tad undercooked. Sadly, dessert - peach cobbler and strawberry shortcake - was disappointing. I was not happy with the service we received after I decided not to order wine with my meal. From then on, the waiter would just hurriedly ask if we needed anything and never made eye contact while he would wait solicitously at other tables.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 7/23/2014Very professional and friendly staff. Good wine selection. Ribeye was very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time thereweezy790Dined on 7/22/2014Heard how wonderful Nick & Stefs finally got the opportunity to go and it was everything and more. Can not wait to go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good MSG ChoiceEM56VIPDined on 7/17/2014Dined here before Queen show at MSG with little over an hour to dine with friends. Very good service and cocktails. Food was good but not over the top by any means. Nice feature was a back door with entry right into MSG with no line and less invasive screening. Would certainly recommend pre show or game.Special Features:
- Great steakTeecher007Dined on 7/17/2014Good food. Tables along the edge....waaaaaay too close together. Come on really, you have to move it to get into the seat. The waiter/waitress butt against you to do anything. You practically have to scream across the table to be heard.Special Features:
- IrishDined on 7/17/2014Service was excellent, fast, informative, and pleasant. Food was delicious , presented attractively and served timely. Server was most helpful.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bobbyDined on 7/15/2014the worst steak I have eaten in many years. will never go back
- GREAT FOOD GREAT SERVICEdfaaDined on 7/14/2014The restaurant was packed and very busy but you would never know it by the level of service given to us by our waiter, John. The food came quickly and everything was fabulous, from the wedge to the steaks to the cocktailsSpecial Features:
- Can't miss diningOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/14/2014Nick and Stef's is a very accommodating restaurant. We have multiple issues when dining have a variety of food allergies for different people in our party. The chef is unbelievably accommodating to our needs...we have had fantastic experiences in multiple visits with no issues in the foods we've eaten. That is very meaningful to us. Many restaurants say they are allergy conscious, but it's dining it a fine establishment like Nick and STef's...with a great chef...that make you comfortable that they understand and can accommodate the needs of their diners...which means we'll be going back there many more times..Special Features:
- Never disappointsNycjennVIPDined on 7/10/2014Nick and Stef's is a favorite- it's always excellent and always consistent. The summer lobster deals are a great way to celebrate summer in the city and the steaks are always perfect. Service is excellent. The rib-eye and creamed spinach are some of the best I have ever had- the wine list has some fun splurges as well as budget friendly choices making it the perfect spot for a real celebration or just a nice dinner out. Now that the scaffolding is finally down the ambience is more cheerful as well!Special Features:
- Lunch oasis next to Penn StationJayDDined on 7/9/2014Lovely, friendly service. Large menu choices. Lunch specials. Treat was pre-fix lunch included dessert. We are too full and waitress volunteered to pack it.Special Features:
- Very disappointingPlaygoerVIPDined on 7/8/2014If you like an earsplittingly noisy atmosphere with tables on top of each other, mediocre service and forgettable food, at high prices, this is the place for you. The only plus - it is attached to the back of Madison Square Garden. I ordered their "signature dish" (according to our waiter), the "jumbo" crab cakes. The portion was two, 2" diameter, crab cakes - hardly what you could call jumbo. This more like an amuse bouche, not even big enough to be called an appetizer, for $34. We showed them to fellow diners seated nearby and we all got a good laugh. That was the highlight of the food. We left and had dessert and coffee elsewhere. Cross this place off your list.
- Good food, good serviceJackWebbDined on 7/8/2014Its a great spot to go before a concert or game. The food is good and we had excellent service.
- Good dinner location, right at MSGwilthDined on 7/7/2014Good food, good service and try convenient location for attending events at Madison Square Garden.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a good find!bmm2170Dined on 7/2/2014This place was a home run, especially if you are going to an event at MSG. Food was great, and the staff wonderful.Special Features:
- Great steak mediocre serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/2/2014We had an early dinner at Nick and Stef's before attending an event at MSG. We were seated immediately and taken to our table. The bread was cold and hard as was the butter. Our drinks were very strong, so much so that they were borderline unenjoyable. The highlight of the evening was the steak my husband and I ordered. It was impeccably cooked. By far, the best steak we have ever had despite dining at well-known steakhouses across the country. The rosemary frites and key lime pie was to die for. Unfortunately, the brussel sprouts were undercooked and hard and the $6 a scoop lemon gelato was crunchy...very disappointing. We also had to remind our waiter to bring our steak sauces to the table. Not the best but would visit again for the steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lobster-icioustravelannVIPDined on 7/2/2014I went for lunch to try the chef's special summer lobster menu. Numerous first and second course dishes featured this luscious food item and many sounded delicious. I limited my choice to a poached lobster which was excellent, accompanied by a flavorful sauvignon blanc, but I'll be back to try some of the other offerings soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DelightDined on 6/30/2014The wait staff was extremely pleasant and professional.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great place for lunchOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/24/2014The menu, price, service were extra-ordinary. Very good place for a lunch meeting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.