Nicholson's Tavern & Pub
625 Walnut St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Nicholson's Tavern & Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicholsonspub.com/
- Phone: 5135649111x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11am - 11pm
Friday - Saturday: 11am - 1am
Sunday: 11am - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jeff Poore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Nicholson’s is located directly across from the Aronoff Center for Arts. Our 7500 square foot restaurant houses a series of individually decorated dining rooms. The expansive pub with its 16 ft ceiling is a great place for your next Happy Hour. The Hearth Room with its own working fireplace seats 32 or reception style 40.The Garden Room is bright and airy and has an attached patio, seats 50 or reception style 70. You can reserve our entire restaurant, 150 seated or 250 reception style. Some of our specialties are the Fish and Chips, Center Cut Pork Chops, Grilled Steak and Duck Fat Fries, Pan Seared Scottish Salmon with Caramelized Brussel Sprouts. Detailed mahogany and brass, antique glass and light fixtures from Scotland create an impressive and inviting atmosphere. Nicholson’s has the largest selection of Single Malt Scotch in the region and over 25 imported beers on tap. We are a great destination for your next rehearsal dinner, graduation, business dinner or birthday party.
- Private Party Contact: Tina Morris 513-505-6212x
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday and Saturday night, 9pm until 12:30am, no cover charge.
A word from Nicholson's Tavern & Pub
Located in downtown Cincinnati across from the Aronoff Center, Nicholson’s is a restaurant and bar serving fine food and drink in a genuine Scottish tavern setting. Taking inspiration from the public houses found throughout Great Britain, our goal is to provide our guests with authentic hospitality and a brilliant dining experience. In addition to high-quality food, we offer a wide variety of beer, wine, bourbon, craft cocktails and feature one of the best selections of single malt scotch whiskies in the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Nicholson's Tavern & Pub - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Nicholson's Tavern & Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
58 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (29)neighborhood gem (25)fit for foodies (21)vibrant bar scene (21)special occasion (18)great for outdoor dining (16)late-night find (14)romantic (11)great for lunch (11)hot spot (8)notable wine list (7)great for brunch (5)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (2)Show More
- Broadway DinnerJulzDined on 9/25/2014This is the best place to go before headed to Broadway Shows! Directly across the street, a wonderful menu with a wide variety of entees, appetizers, desserts, etc. It's a mainstay restaurant for us during Broadway Series Season!Special Features:
- Great place for the most partDisappointedDinerDined on 9/24/2014The food was great and came out quickly. The server started out great and asked if we were going to the show at the Aranoff. When we said yes she started gave us time updates. Then when we were finished, it took 25 minutes to get our bill. We asked another server to help us and then eventually had to get the manager. We were almost late to the show.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Went before the show. Worked out great. Service excellent.. Ate out side .. Nice eveningSpecial Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014First time guest. Bar area was energetic. We ate in the back, where it was quiet. Food Great! Fantastic Beer List, Fantastic Whiskey list, Great Wines. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Pre Aronoff performance dinneBirthdayGirlDined on 9/20/2014We had a reservation here prior to a performance at the Aronoff during Oktoberfest. We had eaten here once before and returned for the convenience of the location. We actually had a surprisingly great time. Our table was in a smaller back room,so it was much quieter than out front. The food was just fine. We tried a wine that was new to us, that we enjoyed. Service was excellent. Great for a casual dinner downtown.Special Features:
- MotherTheresaDined on 9/14/2014Well-stocked bar complete with skilled and knowledgeable bar tenders - what a "can't-go-wrong"combination! Excellent food, especially fish and chips, steak and any of their special burgers. Duck fat fries with house-prepared ketchup is a must, and can be added to any meal. The wait staff is friendly, professional, and very helpful in guiding menu decisions, if asked. Overall, a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Need to step it upVisitorVIPDined on 9/13/2014It just seemed kind of boring and quiet. Every place else downtown was packed and it was empty. Food was good but overpriced.Special Features:
- We like it heredrmmVIPDined on 9/4/2014Usually we stop in at Nicholson's when we are attending Ballet or Theater at the Aronoff. This time we were in the area welcoming the Bengals in their new uniforms and decided to go to Nicholson's after the unveiling. Three of us had the fish and chips which were outstanding. I had the burger my way: rare, with bacon, raw onion, and pickles. I requested sourdough bread toasted, and mayo on the side. It was done perfectly. I had a cup of the chicken curry soup which was outstanding. Our server Cheye was the epitome of what one expects of a good server. She was interested in our having a good time and she succeeded!Special Features:
- We could have gone to TGI Friday'shighexpectationsDined on 9/3/2014I was expecting a nice atmosphere reminicent of a Scottish Pub instead it was like walking into any other restaurant. When we were seated the hostess took off like a shot even though she saw that one of our party was unable to move that fast. Once seated our server arrived and she was less than enthused to be there. We did have a nice appetizer and the food delivery was prompt. I had the buttermilk fried chicken served with Mac & Cheese and Green Beans. The chicken was cooked well but the breading was much to saltly (and I like salt :) ) the Mac & Cheese was excellent and the Green Beans were about what you would expect. The service over all was lackluster and food about average. I have to give this restaurant a pass in the future.Special Features:
- Fun looking, Poor tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Although the decor of Nicolson's offers great promise for a straightforward Scottish pub dining experience with good service (Scottish plaids, banners and wait staff in kilts), the choices on the menu are limited to those one would find at any modest American bar/restaurant. Entrees feature dishes that are high in fat, fried or heavy with garlic and butter. Service staff deliver food without removing used dishes from previous courses. Broiled salmon was dry and greasy with garlic butter; no bread was offered.
- Nice neighborhood findgvsugrlDined on 8/15/2014Great food, nice restaurant that had live music on Friday night. The staff was very accommodating to change our seating when we asked & our server was nice. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekPickieVickieDined on 8/12/2014This was the best place we've eaten at in a long time! We were there for the Restaurant Week menu and it was delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Downtown Eating SpottonyDined on 8/9/2014Food was not as hot as I like it, but good tasting. Service was slow at the start.Special Features:
- Absolutely delightful!CamanosawchickDined on 8/5/2014Last Autumn we spend 2 weeks in London and Ireland, and I fell in love with pubs and everything they represent. This Scottish pub is equal to and above the neighborhood pubs where I have previously been, both in food choices and elegance. Nicholson's is a polished page right out of a history book, we loved it and will undoubtedly return often. It is in the heart of downtown Cincinnati next to the new Metropole Hotel, very upscale without outrageous pricing. Creative and delicious menu. Waitstaff in kilts, soft lighting, dark wood and polished brass, low noise level so there was no difficulty having a very pleasant conversation. Fish and chips exactly the same way as in London--terrific!! Pr. try one of the very imaginative burgers.Special Features:
- Fun nightKatiean11Dined on 8/4/2014First time dining here. The booth we were seated in was comfy and private. Calamari fries were delicious. The staff was very cheerful. We will defintely be back for the Mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Food!BrusierVIPDined on 7/14/2014I was in Cincinnati for a convention and went to Nicholson's for dinner one evening. The food was fantastic and the service was very friendly. The waitress wasn't as attentive as I prefer but responded with a repeat of any request. The service was quick too.Special Features:
- Best pub in Cinci!PeggyVIPDined on 7/5/2014This is our favorite pub in Cincinnati. Food & drinks are always good, and Darnell our waiter was fun and attentive.Special Features:
- Nice Sunday brunch/lunch placeDojiboDined on 6/29/2014There is a nice but small brunch buffet on Sunday, but the full lunch menu is also available -- 2 of our party of 3 ordered off the menu. It wasn't very busy the day we were there, so it was quiet, so we could linger and visit. I go here fairly often, and even when they are busy and it is noisier, service is good and we haven't felt rushed out.Special Features:
- Great timeweluvgoodbeerDined on 6/27/2014Great beer menu with rotating drafts. Service was great too! Restaurant a lot larger than what it seems from the outside so would work for large groups. Food was delicious! Wonderful happy hour menu with shareables.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- JudiVIPDined on 6/18/2014Consistently good food. Good place where you can carry on a conversation over lunch. Great selection of menu items.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HypesDined on 6/14/2014It's a Scottish Pub. Extra convenient to Aronoff. They let us take our time ahead of the show rather than boot us out. That was superb.Special Features:
- The following 570 reviews are from the Nicholson's Tavern & Pub reviews archive.
- Sets a great mood, and a good valueDojiboDined on 6/1/2014The elegant British pub ambiance is classy but fun. There were lots of people at the bar, and that area is noisy, but we were back in a booth where it is easy to talk and relax. The appetizers are plenty for 2, and the food and presentation is up to the standard of a more expensive place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- HappyeatersDined on 5/21/2014We had our granddaughter's graduation dinner there. The 11 and 13 year olds found plenty to eat that they enjoyed and they love your fried fish. Our granddaughter enjoyed the shrimp and spaghetti dish. It was a memorable evening. The waitress was friendly and added to the great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 5/19/2014One of my favorite places to bring clients to lunch (I avoid noisy places) - the hostess is always welcoming, the service is very good, and the food consistently good.Special Features:
- DeliciousDeliciousVIPDined on 5/18/2014Nicholson's offers the best turkey burger I have ever had. I love it with the cranberry and apple and white cheddar. Their Gouda mac 'n cheese is awesome as well.Special Features:
- Saturday Night FunFoodWineYesDined on 5/16/2014Great wait-staff, excellent food, and they made accommodations for food (dairy, gluten) allergies. Energetic crowd, they had live music in the nearby bar area, still was quiet enough to enjoy a nice night out with each other.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love this place!Sandroni1Dined on 5/13/2014Nicholson's is great for a quick bite to eat or a nice sit down meal. It had been a while since I'd been there so the menu had been updated. I was a little sceptical but I should have known they wouldn't make changes to the menu unless they were good changes. The servers are always friendly and work on each others tables so you can always get what you need. The bar area is a little loud but you can get a table and the noise level goes down considerably. You have to have to save room for the toffee pudding!Special Features:
- Just ok4foodiesDined on 5/11/2014I had heard good things about Nicholsons, but honestly the food was average and the service was poor. I had asked previously if the restaurant was kid friendly, but it isn't really. We were seated outside-the noise from inside was too loud for us. We saw our waiter every 20 min and had to ask to put our order in, and we had to find another waiter to get a kids menu. Our son ordered chicken, and commented it was "jiggly." We didn't think much of it until he threw up on the way home.
- Great Scottish FoodtreyDined on 5/11/2014This has become one of our regulars. We love the Scottish flavor and menu. Always bring our Scottish relative here when they visit Cincinnati.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner before the showtheatredinerVIPDined on 5/10/2014We enjoyed a very good meal at Nicholson's before the show at the Aronoff. Our food was delicious. We enjoyed the scallops, shrimp with angel hair pasta and the fish and chips. All dishes were delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awful serviceSchnemrDined on 5/10/2014Service was very slow, took an hour to get a salad and burger. Food was cold, and order came out wrong! The manager did comp our meal after we complained but we will not be dining there again!
- Can't Beat the LocationKendyDined on 5/10/2014Nicholson's Tavern and Pub has several things going for it-- first, a very good staff of young people with smiles and energy and personality, and second, a perfect location for downtown eating, especially if you are going to the Aronoff Theatre. Food itself is OK, location and servers are better.Special Features:
- funyummyDined on 5/9/2014Nicholson's is so much fun, from the live entertainment which was awesome to the kilted serving staff to the great and interesting food. It is super convenient to the Aronoff Center and a great date place.Special Features:
- Pre-AronoffhappydinerDined on 5/8/2014Our waiter was very agreeable about making sure we got across the street to the Aronoff on timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- oooooops!AliceDined on 5/8/2014What usually is a great experience at the Pub, was not on May 8th. We had reservations for 3 at 4:30. We were seated without any type of menu and had to ask for a drink menu. One of the drinks ordered was delivered with a different name than it was listed on the specialty. 1 in a party made a trip to the bar to find out. Finally we grabbed someone (not our waiter) to retrieve a menu and only then were we given a happy hour menu. Service was very slow. We did have apps with our drinks, but also had to go to the bar to get plates.......but then had to ask for napkins and silverware. When the food finally arrived, it did not disappoint.............but come on guys....you are better than this. Hope it was just a glitch. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing experiencegrazingwaysDined on 5/4/2014Although the service was great and I enjoyed the ambience, I found the food totally lacking. My reservation was for 4:15. so it was early, but they were out of the Pot Roast. I settled for Fish and Chips. The Haddock was good but the Fries, cooked in Duck Fat were beyond greasy. My serving of Cole Slaw was in a smaller condiment cup. As I said my dining experience at Nicholson's was disappointing.
- Fantastic Food! Friendly staff!AnnaKYDined on 5/3/2014REAL MEN WEAR KILTS! That's what some of the t-shirts the servers wore read on the backs. Nicholson's is a real gem! The atmosphere is old-timey, nostalgic Scottish themed and the food is great. Everything came out perfect - fast - and even the servers were very friendly. The bread board was delicious and the duck-fat-fries- YUM! Not too costly, either. It was a lovely place to stop after hitting up the Aranoff Center for a theatre performance. We came back for dessert later, and were still impressed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decentcake4breakfastDined on 4/26/2014We took some out of town guests here for dinner and had a decent experience. The beer and cocktail list was impressive, as were the appetizers - I especially loved the calamari fries. For dinner, the fish and chips dominated our ordering but ended up being average in taste. The duck fat fries needed to be crispier. Salmon was also ordered and it ended up being excellent. The server was very accommodating (she helped us switch tables due to the temperature in the restaurant) but very slow, which in our case wasn't a problem as we did not have definitive plans afterwards - I'm talking 3 hours for dinner. Also, be careful on the step down into the bar from the side entrance. It's not marked well and one of our guests took a small spill.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waitress was superb!CJM1EJMDined on 4/26/2014We've dined at Nicholsons before and have always had an enjoyable meal. We also like its close proximity to the Aronoff. We didn't comment on all categories above because we do not enjoy outdoor dining, didn't imbib wine etc. What was a bonus to us, they held our leftovers until after the ballet. Our waitress was superb!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/26/2014Went there after daughter's UC graduation. Had a great experience!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.