Nicholson's Tavern & Pub
625 Walnut St
Cincinnati, OH 45202Neighborhood:
Gastro PubPrice: $30 and under
Nicholson's Tavern & Pub
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nicholsonspub.com/
- Phone: (513) 564-9111
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 11am - 11pm
Friday - Saturday: 11am - 1am
Sunday: 11am - 9pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse, Gastro Pub
- Executive Chef: Jeff Poore
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Nicholson’s is located directly across from the Aronoff Center for Arts. Our 7500 square foot restaurant houses a series of individually decorated dining rooms. The expansive pub with its 16 ft ceiling is a great place for your next Happy Hour. The Hearth Room with its own working fireplace seats 32 or reception style 40.The Garden Room is bright and airy and has an attached patio, seats 50 or reception style 70. You can reserve our entire restaurant, 150 seated or 250 reception style. Some of our specialties are the Fish and Chips, Center Cut Pork Chops, Grilled Steak and Duck Fat Fries, Pan Seared Scottish Salmon with Caramelized Brussel Sprouts. Detailed mahogany and brass, antique glass and light fixtures from Scotland create an impressive and inviting atmosphere. Nicholson’s has the largest selection of Single Malt Scotch in the region and over 25 imported beers on tap. We are a great destination for your next rehearsal dinner, graduation, business dinner or birthday party.
- Private Party Contact: Tina Morris 513-505-6212x
- Entertainment: Live music every Friday and Saturday night, 9pm until 12:30am, no cover charge.
A word from Nicholson's Tavern & Pub
Located in downtown Cincinnati across from the Aronoff Center, Nicholson’s is a restaurant and bar serving fine food and drink in a genuine Scottish tavern setting. Taking inspiration from the public houses found throughout Great Britain, our goal is to provide our guests with authentic hospitality and a brilliant dining experience. In addition to high-quality food, we offer a wide variety of beer, wine, bourbon, craft cocktails and feature one of the best selections of single malt scotch whiskies in the area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
Nicholson's Tavern & Pub - Best Restaurants in Cincinnati ›
Nicholson's Tavern & Pub reviews from OpenTable diners
102 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelEnergetic
good for groups (50)neighborhood gem (37)vibrant bar scene (33)fit for foodies (32)special occasion (31)great for lunch (22)hot spot (21)late-night find (17)great for outdoor dining (13)romantic (10)notable wine list (7)kid-friendly (6)great for brunch (4)scenic view (1)Show More
- Good food, great location, fabulous serviceKaBoDined on 11/22/2014Our food was good - recommend the beer cheese appetizer and shepherds pie and pork chop entrees. The fried chicken was okay but nothing special. The pumpkin cheesecake was delicious and we loved the sticky toffee pudding, licking the bowl clean. Drinks were good and the scotch selection is extensive. We sat in the room with the fireplace and the atmosphere was very nice and not too noisy, so our party of six could talk easily. The service was outstanding. Just the right amount of attention and helpfulness so we all felt well taken care of.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and atmosphereFromIowaDined on 11/21/2014The food was great. All staff in kilts. Authentic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- rrh1961Dined on 11/19/2014Good food, excellent service but LOUD, LOUD, LOUD! ALSO, freezing Anytime the door was opened, cold air flowed in.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSlund85Dined on 11/13/2014Excellent food and great service and great timing on stuffSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great experiencehammertimecatDined on 11/11/2014Food was great, Christian provided great service and the company was awesome!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For Scotch lovers!GentlemanframerDined on 11/8/2014Had dinner before the ballet at Aronoff Center, great location with a quick walk across the street. The most outstanding feature is the Scotch selection! If you are a Scotch drinker, this is a great place to find less available , absolutely delicious Scotch by the glass. They have the proper glassware, and really understand presentation! The menu is somewhat limited, but well executed. I particularly enjoyed the goat cheese mousse served with the bread plate. Service was prompt and friendly.I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/8/2014The food and service were excellent. A must place to eat when attending the Aronoff.Special Features:
- Good for quick lunchthebabyspartanDined on 11/4/2014The lobster mac and cheese is to die for but the portion is small for the price. Definitely a cute place to go. I appreciate the ambiance. It's a nice place.Special Features:
- MichellemboylesDined on 11/1/2014Just what we wanted for a chilly evening. Fish and chips nice and flaky and crunchy. Bangers and mash good quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- falling off a bit on food qualityOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/1/2014we used to love this place but seems they have fallen a bit on food quality and standards. everything tasted good, but not what i remember from the years past of every bite being so delicious. Our pretzels with the beer cheese were served burnt, black as could be and hard, but they still ended up on our table. We did not complain though so not sure if they would have fixed it. The turkey burger was good, but tasted kinda like a frozen patty that i could have made at home. wedge salad was lacking of luster as well.
- Great Scottish Pub !DavidVIPDined on 10/28/2014Excellent location, great atmosphere, excellent food and a very nice beer selection. We had great service and had a wonderful time overall.Special Features:
- 2nd Visit - Disappointing!IndyVisitorsDined on 10/24/2014This was a return trip. Reservations were confirmed 3 times, twice via e-mail and a phone message the night before. Of course when we arrived the reservation was cancelled, they said they tried to call and got the wrong number. I showed the voicemail number and date. Didn't matter. Finally the floor manager came over and found us a booth in the bar. Service there was very good and food was as expected, good pub food. Disappointed in how hostess dealt with the situation, need better training. Probably won't be back since there a many other restaurants in the area - too bad since we had a great experience the first time.Special Features:
- Great eveningBikeboy62Dined on 10/24/2014Made reservations for my wife's birthday on 10/24 and dined with a party of 4. Enjoyable from start to finish. Great happy hour for both drinks and small bites. The food we each ordered was served quickly and presentation and taste were very good. We were in town for a funeral the next day so we are not from the area but I would recommend to others and will definitely stop again when in the area. Christian was a very personable and outstanding server!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- celebrationNannyDined on 10/23/2014We came to your resturant for my friends 73rd Birthday. And she loved it.Special Features:
- BirthdayScotchInMyBellyDined on 10/18/2014I've been to Nicholson's before but I took my parents for their first experience. They had a very enjoyable time, and made several comments expressing that opinion. The wait staff was very friendly and informative. I was given a free dessert for my special day, while enjoying a sampling of Scotch.Special Features:
- Great before a showOhioDarinDined on 10/17/2014We had dinner before an evening show at the Arnoff Theater across the street. We were seated in the back away from the bar. Appetizers, meal and desserts were all excellent. Staff was friendly and prompt. We have definitely found our new favorite place to hit before a show.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyable EveningRobertDined on 10/17/2014Great atmosphere, food and service. It should meet all of your expectations.Special Features:
- Carnivore Meets VegetarianvegetarianmeetscarnivoreVIPDined on 10/12/2014The last couple times that we have eaten at Nicholson's, we have been disappointed with our meals and service. Recently, my husband ordered the brunch buffet, only to find that everything was cold. Although his buffet was taken off of our bill, this was not the first time that we have been less than satisfied. My husband's family is Scottish, so the tavern seemed like a perfect place for us to frequent, but I think that we have eaten our last meal there.
- One of my favorites before a play!MCGJrDined on 10/4/2014They pay special attention to your need to make the curtain time deadline. But they do it without making you feel rushed.Special Features:
- Nicholson's ReviewRichardDined on 10/4/2014As is the usual with Nicholson's the service was excellent. The Shephards Pie is very tasty and the fish & chips is well worth it. The Brie was good, but it could have been bigger and more crackers could have been served with it. I recommend Nicholson's to anyone.Special Features:
- Appetizers FairSaute4uVIPDined on 10/3/2014We ordered Smoked Salmon App, Duck Fries App, and Lobster Mac & Cheese App. That is all in the order of favorites. Overall lob mac needs flavor it was bland, server was awesome. Sit in the back on Fridays there is a band at night and you cannot hearSpecial Features:
- Best bet before Aronoff!SellingCincyDined on 10/2/2014Make sure you make reservations here since after work crowds converge with pre-show diners. Excellent competent servers. All of us loved our food- from yummy apps to full dinners. Happy Hour prices until 7 made our wine even better. Charming atmosphere especially in back rooms for quiter dinners, front bar for lively vibe. Favorite of locals & visitors.Special Features:
- Broadway DinnerJulzDined on 9/25/2014This is the best place to go before headed to Broadway Shows! Directly across the street, a wonderful menu with a wide variety of entees, appetizers, desserts, etc. It's a mainstay restaurant for us during Broadway Series Season!Special Features:
- Great place for the most partDisappointedDinerDined on 9/24/2014The food was great and came out quickly. The server started out great and asked if we were going to the show at the Aranoff. When we said yes she started gave us time updates. Then when we were finished, it took 25 minutes to get our bill. We asked another server to help us and then eventually had to get the manager. We were almost late to the show.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/23/2014Went before the show. Worked out great. Service excellent.. Ate out side .. Nice eveningSpecial Features:
- Great Place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/20/2014First time guest. Bar area was energetic. We ate in the back, where it was quiet. Food Great! Fantastic Beer List, Fantastic Whiskey list, Great Wines. What more could you ask for?Special Features:
- Pre Aronoff performance dinneBirthdayGirlDined on 9/20/2014We had a reservation here prior to a performance at the Aronoff during Oktoberfest. We had eaten here once before and returned for the convenience of the location. We actually had a surprisingly great time. Our table was in a smaller back room,so it was much quieter than out front. The food was just fine. We tried a wine that was new to us, that we enjoyed. Service was excellent. Great for a casual dinner downtown.Special Features:
- MotherTheresaDined on 9/14/2014Well-stocked bar complete with skilled and knowledgeable bar tenders - what a "can't-go-wrong"combination! Excellent food, especially fish and chips, steak and any of their special burgers. Duck fat fries with house-prepared ketchup is a must, and can be added to any meal. The wait staff is friendly, professional, and very helpful in guiding menu decisions, if asked. Overall, a very pleasant dining experience.Special Features:
- Need to step it upVisitorVIPDined on 9/13/2014It just seemed kind of boring and quiet. Every place else downtown was packed and it was empty. Food was good but overpriced.Special Features:
- We like it heredrmmVIPDined on 9/4/2014Usually we stop in at Nicholson's when we are attending Ballet or Theater at the Aronoff. This time we were in the area welcoming the Bengals in their new uniforms and decided to go to Nicholson's after the unveiling. Three of us had the fish and chips which were outstanding. I had the burger my way: rare, with bacon, raw onion, and pickles. I requested sourdough bread toasted, and mayo on the side. It was done perfectly. I had a cup of the chicken curry soup which was outstanding. Our server Cheye was the epitome of what one expects of a good server. She was interested in our having a good time and she succeeded!Special Features:
- We could have gone to TGI Friday'shighexpectationsDined on 9/3/2014I was expecting a nice atmosphere reminicent of a Scottish Pub instead it was like walking into any other restaurant. When we were seated the hostess took off like a shot even though she saw that one of our party was unable to move that fast. Once seated our server arrived and she was less than enthused to be there. We did have a nice appetizer and the food delivery was prompt. I had the buttermilk fried chicken served with Mac & Cheese and Green Beans. The chicken was cooked well but the breading was much to saltly (and I like salt :) ) the Mac & Cheese was excellent and the Green Beans were about what you would expect. The service over all was lackluster and food about average. I have to give this restaurant a pass in the future.Special Features:
- Fun looking, Poor tastingOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/30/2014Although the decor of Nicolson's offers great promise for a straightforward Scottish pub dining experience with good service (Scottish plaids, banners and wait staff in kilts), the choices on the menu are limited to those one would find at any modest American bar/restaurant. Entrees feature dishes that are high in fat, fried or heavy with garlic and butter. Service staff deliver food without removing used dishes from previous courses. Broiled salmon was dry and greasy with garlic butter; no bread was offered.
- Nice neighborhood findgvsugrlDined on 8/15/2014Great food, nice restaurant that had live music on Friday night. The staff was very accommodating to change our seating when we asked & our server was nice. Would go again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Restaurant WeekPickieVickieDined on 8/12/2014This was the best place we've eaten at in a long time! We were there for the Restaurant Week menu and it was delicious! Can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Downtown Eating SpottonyDined on 8/9/2014Food was not as hot as I like it, but good tasting. Service was slow at the start.Special Features:
- Absolutely delightful!CamanosawchickDined on 8/5/2014Last Autumn we spend 2 weeks in London and Ireland, and I fell in love with pubs and everything they represent. This Scottish pub is equal to and above the neighborhood pubs where I have previously been, both in food choices and elegance. Nicholson's is a polished page right out of a history book, we loved it and will undoubtedly return often. It is in the heart of downtown Cincinnati next to the new Metropole Hotel, very upscale without outrageous pricing. Creative and delicious menu. Waitstaff in kilts, soft lighting, dark wood and polished brass, low noise level so there was no difficulty having a very pleasant conversation. Fish and chips exactly the same way as in London--terrific!! Pr. try one of the very imaginative burgers.Special Features:
- Fun nightKatiean11Dined on 8/4/2014First time dining here. The booth we were seated in was comfy and private. Calamari fries were delicious. The staff was very cheerful. We will defintely be back for the Mac and cheese!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 577 reviews are from the Nicholson's Tavern & Pub reviews archive.
- Great Food!BrusierVIPDined on 7/14/2014I was in Cincinnati for a convention and went to Nicholson's for dinner one evening. The food was fantastic and the service was very friendly. The waitress wasn't as attentive as I prefer but responded with a repeat of any request. The service was quick too.Special Features:
- Best pub in Cinci!PeggyVIPDined on 7/5/2014This is our favorite pub in Cincinnati. Food & drinks are always good, and Darnell our waiter was fun and attentive.Special Features:
- Nice Sunday brunch/lunch placeDojiboDined on 6/29/2014There is a nice but small brunch buffet on Sunday, but the full lunch menu is also available -- 2 of our party of 3 ordered off the menu. It wasn't very busy the day we were there, so it was quiet, so we could linger and visit. I go here fairly often, and even when they are busy and it is noisier, service is good and we haven't felt rushed out.Special Features: