160 Hwy 35
Red Bank, NJ 07701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantnicholas.com/
- Phone: (732) 345-9977
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:00pm
BAR N MENU HOURS (food available)
Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday 5:30-10:30pm
Fridays & Saturdays-5:30-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Harary
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Restaurant Nicholas will tailor a party to your needs from 15 guests to 250 guests. Restaurant Nicholas not only takes care of the cuisine & service, but will also arrange the planning of table, linens, flowers, tents, etc. for your important affair.
A word from Nicholas
Restaurant Nicholas, New York Times 4 star, Gayot's top 40 restaurant in America for 2011/12, Zagat's No.1 Pick for Food, Service, Most Popular & Wine List for 2005-2012, offers New American Cuisine set in a sophisticated serene environment. Nicholas also hosts Bar N, a more casual alternative where no reservations are required. Chef/Owner Nicholas Harary and his wife Melissa operate this intimate 4-star jewel located just minutes over the bridge from Red Bank's downtown area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Nicholas - Best Restaurants in Red Bank ›
Nicholas reviews from OpenTable diners
92 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (76)fit for foodies (65)romantic (59)notable wine list (58)neighborhood gem (13)vibrant bar scene (10)good for groups (7)hot spot (4)late-night find (2)great for lunch (2)Show More
- My Pallate was dancing again;.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/25/2014Dear Nicholas Thank you, thank you, thank you. My sixtieth birthday was celebrated at your fabulous restaurant two days ago and it was fantastic. As always my palate danced and everything was more than exceptional. So far, in my sixty years, I have never had a more pleasant and enjoyable dining experience than I have at your establishment. Words really are difficult to find for the incredible dining experience. Thank you again. Norbert NielebockSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Be prepared - it's pricey!JojoDined on 11/22/2014I was disappointed in the decor - couldl have been the back room of a diner but the service was excellent. We had the 5 course tasting menu. Everything was interesting, a couple flaws in execution, but presented well. Portion sizes were small. I can't say anything tasted all that amazing and it was definitely expensive, even by NY standards. I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- An Amazing FindSelsellDined on 11/18/2014I've been wanting to eat at Nichilas for some time. And kept putting it off. Well that was a mistake. It will now be my go to restaurant for all special occasions, and then some. The food was delightfully amazing!! Thr service was excellent as was the wine. I love this place!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014Good services but very over priced. Thank g-d for the free bread!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Superb, as alwaysBobesoxxjrDined on 11/8/2014The best restaurant in New Jersey, no doubt. We all had the tasting menu with the wine pairing. It was amazing. Our server Wendy was friendly, informative and made our whole experience more enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Great!Rps121475Dined on 11/8/2014My wife and I usually go to Nicholas once a year for a special occasion and it never fails to be great! Try the soufflé!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Simply the finest dining aroundChowderDined on 11/7/2014This restaurant is far superior to any other restaurants in the area and perhaps the entire state. The ambiance is warm and inviting and the food is top notch. Nicholas and his staff treat you like royalty throughout the entire dining experience. The menu is unique and the food is always fresh and first rate. Nicholas awakens taste buds you never know you had with wonderful flavors in every coarse that's served. I would recommend this gem to anyone that truly wants a dining experience like no other. Once you have been to Restaurant Nicholas, you will be hooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a charmBugsVIPDined on 11/7/2014We have never had a bad experience here. We usually eat in the restaurant but have been in the bar a few times and it is equally as good. Just a smaller menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- All around greatNordieDined on 11/7/2014We went to Nicholas to celebrate a birthday. The waiting staff was very attentive and knowledgeable. The food was as outstanding as you would expect it from this kind of restaurant. The only minor setback was the ambiance. They have two dining rooms and it looked like we were sitting in the one with less of an ambiance. The one that is down a few steps seemed setup nicer, so if you make a reservation try to submit a special request to be seated in the dining room down a few steps.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 11/7/2014Good food but very expensive. No regular menu. Just tasting menus with tiny portions.Special Features:
- Fine Dining at its Finest!Thinman2001Dined on 11/4/2014Previously reviewed as one of the top restaurants in Central New Jersey, this elegant restaurant lived up to its reputation. Nouvelle cuisine, so the portions do not appear to be that large for some dishes, but the quality of the dishes easily makes up for it. Went for our 30th anniversary and my wife and I were not disappointed. Special touches, such as soup samples between courses and boxed take-home chocolates, added even more to the experience. Advised them in advance of our anniversary and they responded accordingly, such as greeting us with anniversary wishes upon arrival and adding marzipan banners to our dessert plates acknowledging the event. Expensive-$300 or more with wine-but well worth it for a unique dining experience.Special Features:
- dinerVIPDined on 10/23/2014Food was good but there are others in the area that are equal or better. Seemed like the staff was always rushing somewhere to be very attentive.Special Features:
- Great time at the chef's tableR2OCDined on 10/14/2014Considering we were sitting in an alcove, in the basement, right next to a busy professional kitchen, the staff were amazingly quiet and not in the least bit intrusive or even distracting (unless you choose to distract yourself by watching them) - if we had been sat upstairs among 11 fellow diners, it would have been a very different story !! The food was superb. There were 3 of us and we were each given a different menu selection for 6 of the 7 courses. The only time we all had the same thing was for their signature lobster. We shared our food which means we each ate a third of 18 different dishes + a whole one each. Or at least tried to ..... Make that 8 courses. There was a wee snifter of a palette cleanser at some point :) Go for itSpecial Features:
- Tasting MenuKC77Dined on 10/12/2014The tasting menu is always a winner. My husband and I go at least every other month specifically for the tasting menu. We would go more often but you want to take your time at a restaurant like this. The service is always outstanding and the thought put into each course/ dish is evident.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time, won't be the lastHobokidVIPDined on 10/12/2014Great place for special occasion. Really enjoyed the beef tartare. Lobster was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious but priceyMmmmDined on 10/11/2014The food and service at Nicolas was absolutely wonderful... but it's true you get what you pay for. Don't expect to spend less than $250 for a dinner for two.Special Features:
- OutstandingDawnR111Dined on 10/4/2014This was our first visit to Nicholas. It was most definitely one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. The food was wonderful, outstanding service, and an elegant atmosphere. We would highly recommend this restaurant.Special Features:
- Great As AlwaysAnonymousDined on 9/26/2014It's been a while since we were here. We came to celebrate our anniversary. Our meals were excellent. I had the bacon-wrapped monkfish, and my husband had the poached lobster. Although, his starter was the stand-out. He had the Wagyu beef tartare. The wait staff is certainly well-trained. Service, unhurried, on par with the best establishments in NYC. We said, "we should come here more often for a good meal....." The desserts came out with a candle and marzipan banner that said "Happy Anniversary". They gave us in-house made chocolates (which we're going to have tonight. They also gave us their banana bread, which in the past was twice as large and to-die-for. They must've changed their recipe. My husband didn't love it.Special Features:
- Nice but way too expensive.OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 9/24/2014high prices, small portions. Wait staff is very attentive.Special Features:
- Anniversary dinner at NicholasVerdidivaDined on 9/19/2014We arrived and were greeted with 'Happy Anniversary' upon entering. After a champagne toast, we had the 4 course tasting menu paired with wines. Absolutely superb top to bottom. Superb service, atmosphere, unbelievable cuisine and wine. The perfect place for those special occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly special experienceChrisie66VIPDined on 9/17/2014Nicholas NEVER disappoints. There are so many options on the menu, fabulous wine selections, and stellar service. It isn't just dinner...its an experience!Special Features:
- Love this placeoblovesitDined on 9/12/2014Great food, terrific atmosphere, impeccable service, what more can you ask for?Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/6/2014After dining here many times, this was our worst experience. The food was below average and two courses actually came out served cold. Not just like warm but cold. We did let them know and I honestly thought they would so something for us to keep us happy as regular customers. I do not think we will go back.
- Birthday girlFrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Tried Nicholas for my birthday. Had a seven course tasting menu that was wonderful. The service was superb and very friendly staff. Nicholas came over to our table and we enjoyed a lengthy conversation with him. Delightful person, will definitely return.Special Features:
- AMAZING.MiggsDeCuisineDined on 9/5/2014As a Chef de Cuisine in the industry it is hard for people like me to get out and enjoy a meal as exquisite as this. Knowing I put out food as nice or almost as nice as this, it was an awesome change of pace to be on the other end of service, eating :-) For anyone this is a great place for your palet and tastebuds to explore. The service was immaculate as you needed not to worry about anything. Wine list impeccable. Smiles all around the room and if your into it valet parking. I will for sure be attending again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some problemsPeggyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Have to say it was not the best experience this time around. I felt "rushed", though you have the table the whole night at Nicholas. Barely got in my seat, when we were being asked about water, and a menu shoved at us. I had barely touched my cocktail, when we were being asked our dinner decisions. Appetizer and entrees' came out right after each other. Told the waitor I wasn't done with the appetizer at one point, when he was about to take my plate away, with food still on it. When it was time for dessert, my usually very quiet husband even spoke up, telling them to hold the dessert while we finished our bottle of wine. It was an Anniversary celebration. Food was very good, but quite heavy seasoned with salt.Special Features:
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014There is a good reason that this restaurant has consistently been rated the best in New Jersey. The ambiance, food and service are all superb.Special Features:
- Sketchy ServiceMunirVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very busy,took a while for server,which is unusual for a restaurant of this calibre,took dessert home,and they forgot the ice cream ....BummerSpecial Features:
- DebnNickDebnNickDined on 8/23/2014Great food. A little expensive but excellent! The salmon and scallops were cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLunitaDined on 8/23/2014Nicholas never ceases to amaze. My husband said the pork dish was the best meat he has ever eaten in his life. The pork was cooked to perfection, but what really set it apart was the maple jus that accompanied it. The salmon was cooked to perfection. The pickled heirloom beets, which we have had at Nicholas before, are delicious. I didn't even think I liked beets before I had these heirloom varieties. The dessert was the best I have ever had in my life. Every dish is creative. The ideal way to go with 2 people is to do the tasting menu, get one of each and share. That way, you can taste the maximum number of dishes and get a real flavor of Nicholas's range and creativity.Special Features:
- BillDined on 8/22/2014Exquisite food preparation, creative menu, and outstanding wines; knowledgeable, attentive, yet not over-bearing, service. The wait for our main course was just a bit too long, but otherwise it was a leisurely, wonderful evening. Unfortunately the air conditioning was blasting, and we were quite chilly most of the time (even after a few glasses of wine !)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSunrichDined on 8/22/2014We were impressed by the service and the attitude (good, attentive, non-snooty) of the servers. Food was enough to fill you up. Steak was delicious. Pork was good but not great. Scallops were outstanding. Restaurant is obviously well managed with the customer in mind. We left the restaurant happy and satisfied with the experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great for that special occasionEDNYVIPDined on 8/20/2014We had a very enjoyable time. It's expensive but well worth it for just relaxing and letting it all go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoctorLDoctorLDined on 8/15/2014As always I enjoyed every minute of dinner on Friday night at Nicholas. My guests and I were greater at the door by Nicholas himself, a very gracious host, and then had a amazing dinner with excellent service as well. I also enjoyed the drink special, strawberry basil mojito. It's worth the trip for any occasion and the only thing better is their chefs table experience. Go and enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentjoemom23Dined on 8/9/2014First time @ Nicholas and we were very pleased. The food was good. The service was better and the ambiance was the best. Loved the décor. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- An anachronismOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014This was one of the more bizarre dining experiences I can recall. Overly formal service including dishes served with domes removed simultaneously (this is south Jersey, for godsakes), valet parking (the place has a huge lot), and waiters who seem as though they are acting in a movie about a restaurant of yore. Offputting dress code (stated multiple times via phone and email) and way too high prices for the quality of food, which ranged from good to very good but never great. Outrageously expensive wine list. Place smells musty like the carpets and upholstery have not been cleaned for ages. You can have better food in a way more cordial and fun atmosphere in Asbury Park. We won't be back.
- Dinner for twoTaq4Dined on 8/2/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our 3 course dinner Saturday night. The staff was very attentive without being annoying. The food was delicious. A bit pricey, but worth it for a special night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Nicholas!FoodfirstDined on 7/31/2014With an elegantly understated dining room, professional service and an imaginative seasonal menu, Nicholas sets itself apart from most restaurants in the state. The food itself sets it above most restaurants in the country. Offering 3 different menus - an a la carte 3 course; a 6 course tasting menu (with or without wine pairings) or a vegetarian menu - there are choices for everyone that make the most of seasonal ingredients. The tasting menu is wonderful. On our last visit it included an amazing Fluke Ceviche; succulent Squab and the best Salmon I have ever eaten. We love to go to restaurants wherever we travel across the US and Europe and have been fortunate to eat at some excellent places, but Nicholas continues to be our favorite!Special Features:
- The following 1013 reviews are from the Nicholas reviews archive.
- Gourmet experiencejerseymom7Dined on 7/24/2014Nicholas food, beverage list, and service is outstanding. We had reserved there for a birthday dinner. Although we were very happy with our selections, we were surprised to learn that the majority of diners that night were there for an advertised special event lobster menu evening. Our server did not tell us about this until the end of our evening when we asked him what was going on. Although we understand this may have been an exclusive invitation for loyal diners, it made our evening a little less special. Otherwise, all else was very nice.Special Features:
- crissycraftVIPDined on 7/20/2014excellent service, fabulous food...great for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.