160 Hwy 35
Red Bank, NJ 07701Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.restaurantnicholas.com/
- Phone: 7323459977
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday 5:30pm-10:00pm
Friday & Saturday 5:30pm-11:00pm
BAR N MENU HOURS (food available)
Tuesday - Thursday, Sunday 5:30-10:30pm
Fridays & Saturdays-5:30-11:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Nicholas Harary
- Dress Code: Jacket Preferred
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Private Room, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Restaurant Nicholas will tailor a party to your needs from 15 guests to 250 guests. Restaurant Nicholas not only takes care of the cuisine & service, but will also arrange the planning of table, linens, flowers, tents, etc. for your important affair.
A word from Nicholas
Restaurant Nicholas, New York Times 4 star, Gayot's top 40 restaurant in America for 2011/12, Zagat's No.1 Pick for Food, Service, Most Popular & Wine List for 2005-2012, offers New American Cuisine set in a sophisticated serene environment. Nicholas also hosts Bar N, a more casual alternative where no reservations are required. Chef/Owner Nicholas Harary and his wife Melissa operate this intimate 4-star jewel located just minutes over the bridge from Red Bank's downtown area.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Overall
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Food
- Diners' Choice WinnerBest Service
Nicholas - Best Restaurants in Red Bank ›
Nicholas reviews from OpenTable diners
106 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (86)fit for foodies (70)romantic (68)notable wine list (63)neighborhood gem (18)vibrant bar scene (8)good for groups (6)hot spot (3)late-night find (2)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Anniversary dinner at NicholasVerdidivaDined on 9/19/2014We arrived and were greeted with 'Happy Anniversary' upon entering. After a champagne toast, we had the 4 course tasting menu paired with wines. Absolutely superb top to bottom. Superb service, atmosphere, unbelievable cuisine and wine. The perfect place for those special occasion dinners.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A truly special experienceChrisie66VIPDined on 9/17/2014Nicholas NEVER disappoints. There are so many options on the menu, fabulous wine selections, and stellar service. It isn't just dinner...its an experience!Special Features:
- Love this placeoblovesitDined on 9/12/2014Great food, terrific atmosphere, impeccable service, what more can you ask for?Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 9/6/2014After dining here many times, this was our worst experience. The food was below average and two courses actually came out served cold. Not just like warm but cold. We did let them know and I honestly thought they would so something for us to keep us happy as regular customers. I do not think we will go back.
- Birthday girlFrequentdinerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Tried Nicholas for my birthday. Had a seven course tasting menu that was wonderful. The service was superb and very friendly staff. Nicholas came over to our table and we enjoyed a lengthy conversation with him. Delightful person, will definitely return.Special Features:
- AMAZING.MiggsDeCuisineDined on 9/5/2014As a Chef de Cuisine in the industry it is hard for people like me to get out and enjoy a meal as exquisite as this. Knowing I put out food as nice or almost as nice as this, it was an awesome change of pace to be on the other end of service, eating :-) For anyone this is a great place for your palet and tastebuds to explore. The service was immaculate as you needed not to worry about anything. Wine list impeccable. Smiles all around the room and if your into it valet parking. I will for sure be attending again!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Some problemsPeggyVIPDined on 8/31/2014Have to say it was not the best experience this time around. I felt "rushed", though you have the table the whole night at Nicholas. Barely got in my seat, when we were being asked about water, and a menu shoved at us. I had barely touched my cocktail, when we were being asked our dinner decisions. Appetizer and entrees' came out right after each other. Told the waitor I wasn't done with the appetizer at one point, when he was about to take my plate away, with food still on it. When it was time for dessert, my usually very quiet husband even spoke up, telling them to hold the dessert while we finished our bottle of wine. It was an Anniversary celebration. Food was very good, but quite heavy seasoned with salt.Special Features:
- The BestOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/30/2014There is a good reason that this restaurant has consistently been rated the best in New Jersey. The ambiance, food and service are all superb.Special Features:
- Sketchy ServiceMunirVIPDined on 8/23/2014Very busy,took a while for server,which is unusual for a restaurant of this calibre,took dessert home,and they forgot the ice cream ....BummerSpecial Features:
- DebnNickDebnNickDined on 8/23/2014Great food. A little expensive but excellent! The salmon and scallops were cooked to perfection!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FantasticLunitaDined on 8/23/2014Nicholas never ceases to amaze. My husband said the pork dish was the best meat he has ever eaten in his life. The pork was cooked to perfection, but what really set it apart was the maple jus that accompanied it. The salmon was cooked to perfection. The pickled heirloom beets, which we have had at Nicholas before, are delicious. I didn't even think I liked beets before I had these heirloom varieties. The dessert was the best I have ever had in my life. Every dish is creative. The ideal way to go with 2 people is to do the tasting menu, get one of each and share. That way, you can taste the maximum number of dishes and get a real flavor of Nicholas's range and creativity.Special Features:
- BillDined on 8/22/2014Exquisite food preparation, creative menu, and outstanding wines; knowledgeable, attentive, yet not over-bearing, service. The wait for our main course was just a bit too long, but otherwise it was a leisurely, wonderful evening. Unfortunately the air conditioning was blasting, and we were quite chilly most of the time (even after a few glasses of wine !)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatSunrichDined on 8/22/2014We were impressed by the service and the attitude (good, attentive, non-snooty) of the servers. Food was enough to fill you up. Steak was delicious. Pork was good but not great. Scallops were outstanding. Restaurant is obviously well managed with the customer in mind. We left the restaurant happy and satisfied with the experience. We will definitely return.Special Features:
- Great for that special occasionEDNYVIPDined on 8/20/2014We had a very enjoyable time. It's expensive but well worth it for just relaxing and letting it all go!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DoctorLDoctorLDined on 8/15/2014As always I enjoyed every minute of dinner on Friday night at Nicholas. My guests and I were greater at the door by Nicholas himself, a very gracious host, and then had a amazing dinner with excellent service as well. I also enjoyed the drink special, strawberry basil mojito. It's worth the trip for any occasion and the only thing better is their chefs table experience. Go and enjoy!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellentjoemom23Dined on 8/9/2014First time @ Nicholas and we were very pleased. The food was good. The service was better and the ambiance was the best. Loved the décor. Would definitely returnSpecial Features:
- An anachronismOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/8/2014This was one of the more bizarre dining experiences I can recall. Overly formal service including dishes served with domes removed simultaneously (this is south Jersey, for godsakes), valet parking (the place has a huge lot), and waiters who seem as though they are acting in a movie about a restaurant of yore. Offputting dress code (stated multiple times via phone and email) and way too high prices for the quality of food, which ranged from good to very good but never great. Outrageously expensive wine list. Place smells musty like the carpets and upholstery have not been cleaned for ages. You can have better food in a way more cordial and fun atmosphere in Asbury Park. We won't be back.
- Dinner for twoTaq4Dined on 8/2/2014My husband and I really enjoyed our 3 course dinner Saturday night. The staff was very attentive without being annoying. The food was delicious. A bit pricey, but worth it for a special night outSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We love Nicholas!FoodfirstDined on 7/31/2014With an elegantly understated dining room, professional service and an imaginative seasonal menu, Nicholas sets itself apart from most restaurants in the state. The food itself sets it above most restaurants in the country. Offering 3 different menus - an a la carte 3 course; a 6 course tasting menu (with or without wine pairings) or a vegetarian menu - there are choices for everyone that make the most of seasonal ingredients. The tasting menu is wonderful. On our last visit it included an amazing Fluke Ceviche; succulent Squab and the best Salmon I have ever eaten. We love to go to restaurants wherever we travel across the US and Europe and have been fortunate to eat at some excellent places, but Nicholas continues to be our favorite!Special Features:
- Gourmet experiencejerseymom7Dined on 7/24/2014Nicholas food, beverage list, and service is outstanding. We had reserved there for a birthday dinner. Although we were very happy with our selections, we were surprised to learn that the majority of diners that night were there for an advertised special event lobster menu evening. Our server did not tell us about this until the end of our evening when we asked him what was going on. Although we understand this may have been an exclusive invitation for loyal diners, it made our evening a little less special. Otherwise, all else was very nice.Special Features:
- crissycraftDined on 7/20/2014excellent service, fabulous food...great for special occasionsSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OutstandingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/19/2014Excellent food, excellent ambience, excellent service! We were celebrating our anniversary and we had an exceptional evening of wonderful food and wine. I left the food selection up to our waiter and he recommended the tasting menu which was absolutely fabulous!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- PNL1Dined on 7/15/2014Highly recommend ; excellent food, service in a nice atmosphere.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delight!HunnybunchDined on 7/15/2014It was our 46th Anniversary and based on our Son's recommendation we went to Nicholas. The experience was very, very good. From the appetizer to the entree we were delighted. Then the coffee and dessert carried us to ecstasy. We will be there again.Special Features:
- RomanticNicholas071214Dined on 7/12/2014Was extremely expensive & should only be visited by people who appreciate the art of design with food. I had the signature dish, suckling pig and it was dry, needed to add more bourbon sauce to it. My wife had the lobster and it was very creamy but delicious. Portions were very small but beautifully presented. Ice in my vodka/tonic cocktail tasted like burnt wire, had to send it back twice. Bread was very good. Wine was expensive. Total bill including gratuity, for 2 people, including their cheapest wine bottle ($66.00) was $320.00. They did give my wife a small gift of banana bread to go, which was delicious. If you have a special occasion as we did, this is the place to go. If your hungry, this is not the place to go.Special Features:
- Our favorite splurgeWediknowsfoodDined on 7/12/2014It's amazing 2 find such world class cuisine without having 2 go 2 North Jersey or Manhattan. The butter poached lobster, an abundance of tender morsels (in a tiny bowl of mac & cheese), each piece clearly cooked individually 2 prevent over cooking; a triumph of technique. Cod, seared & deftly sauced w/complexity, elevating the familiar 2 the extraordinarily sublime. Other delights: a delicate ravioli light as air, perfectly seared scallops 2 melt in your mouth, buttery foie gras expertly paired w/sweet, acid compote. While the portions R tiny it is strangely notable that we never leave hungry & always leave happy. It is also notable that each of 3 different glasses of wine was served @ the perfect temp. 4 my oenophile hubby. A joy overall!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedMorrisCountyFoodieDined on 7/12/2014This restaurant has been on my "wish list" for quite some time now. I'd heard good things. I went July 12th, 2014, and was very disappointed with the quality of the food. I was so shocked, and it was so far below my expectations (which were set high), I was questioning whether they had a change of management or chefs. I couldn't believe this restaurant had gotten such glowing reviews. The food was tasteless. It was what I would expect of $20- $30 entrees, not a $90 tasting menu. The service and ambiance were excellent, but I will certainly not be returning or recommending this to anyone.
- RioinNjVIPDined on 7/8/2014Never disappointed at Nicholas. This is the place where we usually celebrate every special occasion and always have the best experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chip MerlinChipMDined on 7/6/2014Great dinner and fantastic for a special occasion. We had the tasting menu with selected wines and would suggest trying this cuisine which rotates based upon the season. The dining room has limited seating so reservations are strongly suggested. The limited seating allows for first class service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- raiderDined on 7/4/2014One of NJ Finest. Everything from soup to desert was top of the lineSpecial Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 7/3/2014My ratings speak for themselves. There are not enough words that would give justice to this fantastic restaurant. Nicholas is without a doubt ou favorite.Special Features:
- Exceptional ExperienceRosieCosiDined on 7/2/2014This was a totally wonderful experience. The service was attentive and waiters were knowledgeable and answered all of our questions about the food and the wines. (We had the wine pairing with our meals). The food was delicious and presented beautifully. This was a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Outstanding!NjeatsDined on 6/28/2014My husband and I ate here based on the Open Table reviews, while our daughter and friends were at a concert at PNC Arts Center. I had the fluke cerviche, tuna entree and my husband had the corn bisque and lobster mac n cheese. We shared the orange vanilla souffle and the walnut genoise, and the intermezzos were a fresh chilled pea soup and a sponge cake with creme fraiche (i think). Everything was so delicious and meticulously prepared, and the service was impeccable! The ambiance has a "lounge" effect that you might find in NYC or LA, and we didn't enter the bar but from what I could see it looked to be the same.Special Features:
- NYC elegance in NJ.PipperDined on 6/28/2014Dining at Nicholas is an elegant experience. The service is perfect. I would like to see the dining room be less bright; takes away from the romantic setting. The food is delicious but I was disappointed with my dessert.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dining ExperienceAYEAREDined on 6/28/2014From welcome to good night, what a delightful dining experience. That's the key, "Dining Experience". Upscale service but not pretentious. We had the summer tasting menu with the wine pairings. Each dish was prepared and executed extremely well. The portions of wine seemed small but at the end of the meal it was evident it was exactly spot on. It is obvious that Nicholas and Melissa take great pride in their restaurant. The first thing I did when I got home was make a new reservation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Dining ExperienceJohnDined on 6/27/2014This was our first time here and it didn't disapoint. Highly recommend the tasting menu with the wine pairing. It gives a perfect example of their food the first time you go and the wine selection was impressive. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nirvana Found In MiddletownjdemosDined on 6/27/2014We had Soft Shell Crab & Corn and Crab Soup, delicious. Main courses of Dry Aged NY Strip Steak & sous-vied prepared Halibut. All our meals were seasoned to perfection and the exceptional meals exploded with flavors not reached in most restaurants. Desserts are unique and yummy. The elegant meals that Nicholas and Melissa Harary offer here along with their award winning wine list are celebrated by many publications (Wine Spectator = “Award”, Zagat = “Top Rated New Jersey Restaurant”, NJ Monthly = “Best Of The Best In NJ”, New York Times = “Four Star Extraordinary”, Open Table = “100 Best Restaurants In America”, Gayot = “Top 40 Restaurants in The U.S.”). Truly Nirvana is to be found inside the walls of “Nicholas” here in Middletown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- mrotheimVIPDined on 6/21/2014the best restaurant in NJ and one of the best in the USA. Comparable to the French Laundry which I think is the best restaurant in the US.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very good food stiff serviceyankeefoodieVIPDined on 6/21/2014Great food in an unlikely spot on Rt 35 No view except the highway. Food was very good nicely prepared , good portions. Three choices of prix fixed. $65.00, 85,00 and 125, with appropriate wine tastings. I thought it was good value for the money. Service was prompt but very stiff. no one smiled the entire evening. It felt like Downton Abbey where the servants were too afraid to talk to the master of the house. Too stiff for us. It may appeal to some however. Overall it was very good. We would go back. I would not, however, rate it as the #1 restaurant in the state. We have had better experiences at Scalini Fideli, Serenade, The Washington Inn, and Lorena'sSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- So close;still room for improvementOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/20/2014As always, the food was excellent. Our wait staff was impeccably well mannered, but invasive. This was the first time that I dined here wherein we felt rushed despite the the night not being a particularly busy oneSpecial Features: