Nicholas James Bistro
2057 Merrick Road
Merrick, NY 11566Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Nicholas James Bistro
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.njbistro.com/
- Phone: 5165464805
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30am - 3:00pm; Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 4:00pm - 9:30pm, Friday - Sunday: 4:00pm -10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Italian, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Kevin Liebov
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Delivery, Entertainment, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Whether it"s a business function, meeting, shower, christening, Bar or Bat Mitzvah, holiday affair, rehearsal dinner or a special event, let us cater your next party, at your place or ours! We can accommodate up to 30 people in our special party room day or night. During the day and weeknights we can accommodate up to 90 people in our dining rooms. If you decide to have your party at home or in your office, we can supply the food, serving utensils, chafing dishes, and condiments. Servers are available for off premise parties as well. Everything you need to make your party a success!
- Private Party Facilities: Dining for small groups or parties can be accommodated in our private party room any night of the week with a maximum of 30 people. Saturdays and Sundays during the day we can accommodate up to 90 people for private parties in our full dining room.
- Private Party Contact: Kevin Liebov 5165464805
- Entertainment: Check our website weekly for updates on current entertainment at Nicholas James. We offer live entertainment every Friday evening and other select nights each week. Visit www.njbistro.com for more details.
A word from Nicholas James Bistro
Nicholas James Bistro has brought the taste and culinary adventure of Manhattan to Merrick since late 1996. Offering a contemporary and seasonal American approach to food has achieved us an enthusiastic and loyal following in the community. Executive chef, Kevin Liebov"s imaginative menus, together with his careful preparation, exquisite presentation of dishes,and exceptional wines & spirits, make dining here a delicious adventure!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nicholas James Bistro reviews from OpenTable diners
- Food was excellent . ShellJimbo516Dined on 3/15/2014Food was excellent . Shell steak was very good, wife had fish dish, said it was one of the best she had ever had. Our server was excellent checked back numerous times to see if we needed anything else.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Another visit to this bistroKitty2050VIPDined on 3/1/2014Enjoyed our dinner; great service and ambiance. Reservations were needed on Saturday evening at 5:45 which we had. Nice wine list. We went here before going to a play at the Merrick Performing Arts Center. We were done in plenty of time.Special Features:
- A really nice night outjparteachDined on 2/22/2014We made a reservation and arrived early. They were able to accommodate us (though we would have happily waited at the bar). The food was excellent; portions ample and there was live music to keep us entertained. Will definitely be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good as alwaysMikeVIPDined on 2/22/2014We've been going to this restaurant for several years and always find good service and food. Throughout the years they keep improving. The live music they have is a nice touch at an appropriate noise level. It's one of our go-to restaurants.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always a delicious meal...ChrisMDined on 2/22/2014I am never dissapointed at Nicholas James Bistro. Whether its a special or something off the regular menu, the food is always outstanding. Great deals on Groupon and good selection for children as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/14/2014I had the Lobster Ravioli and my girlfriend the Rigatoni ala vodka with shrimp and both dishes were amazing. Service was great also.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Valentine's Day DinnerJake58Dined on 2/14/2014Dinner Choices were excellent, food was wonderful. Service was great. Have been there a few times and would certainly go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Worth the Visit, Stay Awayfine99dinerDined on 2/14/2014Have wanting to try this restaurant for quite awhile - what a mistake. It was Valentine's Day, but I still didn't expect to be rushed throughout the meal. The waitress came to our table at least 4 times in the 5 minutes after we were seated for our drink order. As most diners, we wanted to look at the menu to see what we wanted to eat before settling on a drink. We started with fried calamari which turned out to be the worst we ever had. It was not fried enough and was sougy.. I had their signature veal baraolo which looks like an oil sledge on top of a mound of mashed potatoes with a thin piece of breaded veal - horrible. Terrible food, annoying and poor service - leave this place, go 3 doors down to Sushi Ko for a great meal.
- Service GoodAugieDined on 2/14/2014When we arrived the place was empty. They wanted to put us upstairs which was not good for me. We asked to be seated by the window. We were told no as the tables were all mapped out. I didn't know I was at a wedding with a seating plan!!! They sat us opposite the bar where people stand to wait for tables. The food was good and the waitress was very attentive. My husband ordered coffee with our dessert. Instead of asking if he would like more coffee the Hostess brought the check. Not very professional for the money we paid. We will not be going back as they seem to be very full of themselves for a neighborhood restaurant.Special Features:
- Had reservations and was seatedALfromMerrickDined on 2/7/2014Had reservations and was seated right away. No waiting. My wife and I have been living in Merrick for over twenty years and we frequent the restaurant a few times a year. Always a pleasant experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth it!!wineronDined on 2/6/2014As usual, food was great, Mussels, Cajun Snapper and the Tuna were well prepared and presented beautifully. And the $25 wine list is a steal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One good, one not so goodAmodraDined on 1/31/2014The service, atmosphere and noise level at Nicholas James were just about perfect. We had the calamari appetizer which was good. My husband had the short ribs entree which smelled so good that I was sorry that I had not ordered the same thing. My husband said it was one of the best short rib preps he has ever had. I ordered the long fusilli seafood special. I thought that the dish was supposed the have three kinds of seafood but I only saw two - shrimp and some other bland fish. I thought it was supposed to also have mussels, but they were missing. The sauce was so bland as to be tasteless but that went right along with the fish, which was very fresh, but also tasteless.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood gemKarinDined on 1/28/2014Nicholas James is always a treat. The food never disappoints - fresh, innovative, delicious. The service is top notch. And if you have gone there a few times, the staff remembers you and knows what you like. This is one of our absolute favorite special occasion restaurants - and the definition of "special occasion" can range from birthdays and anniversaries to a simple "it's Wednesday - let's pamper ourselves and go to NJB."Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Local GemsmunkDined on 1/28/2014Have lived in this area for many years, and never tried this restaurant before. Menu selection was great, as well as the service! Tried the Seafood Paella and steak, with no complaints! Will definitely go back to try more. Kids menu is nice, and reasonably priced as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always deliciousRemsenburgVIPDined on 1/26/2014We have frequented Nicholas James for years. The food is always fesh and delicious. New items are added often and the specials are always 'special'. Friendly wait staff and enjoyable atmosphere. Kudos to the chef !!Special Features:
- Outstanding RestaurantMrC66Dined on 1/25/2014My wife, Donna , and I have been going to Nicholas James for years. The food and service is always excellent. The specials are always very creative and quite tasty. The restaurant also lends to some great conversations because the tables are close, but not too close together. As opposed to the younger generations need to text, the adults have a tendency to cultivate the art of conversation. Also, it is not unusual to find friends dining there. Kevin Liebov is an outstanding restautaranteur.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I love this restaurant, butMP13Dined on 1/23/2014I love this restaurant, but my last dining experience was less than satisfactory though. Our female waitress was cold(everytime I would say thank u,she would not respond or say u are welcome) she often rushed us(took away drink menu before the 3rd guest had even arrived)&made a comment"That I like cheese and vodka" I noted this fair service when I filled out the post dining survey, but since I do come here somewhat often, we all still left her a generous 20% tip regardless. What's frustrating to me is that afterwards, she approached us&asked why she was given a fair for service. simply said, "We felt a little rushed." She replid "My boss sees these and I get in trouble for fair markings. There was no apology for her lack of great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was delicious. ServiceKarenDined on 1/15/2014Food was delicious. Service was wonderful. Waiter was very helpful. Would definitely go back.Special Features:
- Love this placeMmmmmDined on 1/11/2014We had a great time with our friends. The food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice local bistroKatyDined on 1/11/2014went for my boyfriends 25 birthday dinner, was very enjoyable!Special Features:
- Great place for dinner and11572Dined on 1/5/2014Great place for dinner and drinks. Been here numerous times and have loved everything. Especially the short ribs, duck ,and seafood paella. The martins are really good as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Year's Find!!!karenDined on 12/31/2013We did appetizers at home. Then we went to our favorite neighborhood restaurant to celebrate the New Year. This was the least stressful, most delicious and best priced way to go. Kevin and his staff killed it again!!! Happy New Year!!! The Yarosh FamilySpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- EnjoyableMikeDined on 12/28/2013Loved the live background music. Small but energetic place. Waitress/ hostess (possibly owner) very attentive. Food - great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Eve Holiday DinnerHolidayDinerDined on 12/24/2013We were happily surprised from the last holiday we ate at Nicholas James. The waiter was wonderful, patient and kind. The food was so much better and we didn't feel rushed. It was a great holiday dinner - a great place to spend our Christmas Eve once again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A New Favorite RestaurantmickeyfanDined on 12/24/2013Found Nicholas James Bistro on Open Table while searching for a last minute Christmas Eve reservation for 10 people. What a delight! They offered the regular menu - not a priced up holiday menu. The food was wonderful, the service excellent and we all vowed to go back there again. The only thing to be aware of is that they are on 2 levels - so if you have anyone who has difficulty with stairs be sure to let them know when making the reservation.Special Features:
- Service was outstanding andOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/24/2013Service was outstanding and food was excellent . Quiet atmosphere Easy to converse. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Have visited NJ about 25-30RoyalNavyDined on 12/20/2013Have visited NJ about 25-30 times. Never had a bad meal. Staff are always wonderful. Wine is great. The special promotions, half price gift certificates, make it even better. My wife and I go to NJ even when they don't have special offers. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Place for a celebrationLillyDined on 12/19/2013Place is nice and inviting. I took my friends out to dinner to celebrate their accomplishments and we had a very nice time. Friendly service, food was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of Long Island's bestracquetDined on 12/8/2013With outstanding service and food along with great ambiance, Nicholas James is dining favorite for any occasion.Special Features:
- Not so goodjoerDined on 12/7/2013The food is so so. There braised short ribs were not great and had to be sent back for being cold. They were also tough. The pear salad was good and we did not geg dessert. We will not be going back.
- Great food and serviceFinest018Dined on 11/23/2013Not much to say but great food and even better service. Great wine list all at decent prices. The only con is sometimes the live music can be too loud. If you are on a date its a bit distracting. I can overlook it for the great menu. A++Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special OccasionmeofoneDined on 11/23/2013We were a table of nine. Our table was ready when we arrived. Considering that this restaurant is somewhat small, we did not feel cramped. Our waitress was outstanding. She was prompt, courteous and attentive to our needs. The food was very good from appetizers to dessert. I will definitely come back again.Special Features:
- Consistently Excellent ValueBKennyBDined on 11/19/2013It's nothing too fancy but an excellent choice for quality food, attentive service, and reasonable prices. Add to that the specials (free or $5 martini night, lobster specials, etc.) and entertainment around the weekends, and you've got a great neighborhood restaurant. I hope it doesn't change its ways.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- bistro plusgaryhDined on 11/16/2013This place is great. Food is always excellent, service is great, nice people with lots of smiles. Highly recommend this Bistro.Special Features:
- Loved the Live MusicjlupeVIPDined on 11/16/2013Dinner at NJB for the first time on Saturday night. We were a group of 4. The live music was a big draw and it was the perfect accompaniment to our evening. The food was fine. My husband and I both had the steak frites. The meat was tender and juicy, but the sauce was a little sweet for our tastes. We all enjoyed the appetizers and our friends enjoyed their revioli and pork chop. We loved that there was a list of $25 bottles of wine - it was a big bonus!Special Features:
- GREAT!OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 11/15/2013When We first entered the restaurant were greeted immediately. We felt very comfortable the food was great, the waitress was excellent and the manager ask us to come again and spoke with us briefly as we exited the restaurant. I will be back.Special Features:
- you CAN go back!kitcatDined on 11/13/2013hadnt been to our neighborhood place in awhile - went with two friends for ladies night (coincidentally). had a glass of white sangria for $6 that was amazing. then ordered from the price fixe and had a delicious minestrone soup (what was that base - yummy) and then salmon which was very good and im picky about my salmon. Overall i was happy to go back and see that it was very enjoyable and i will go back again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing SpecialFoodmavenDined on 11/13/2013I arrived before my friend and sat at the bar. Not one single person asked if I would like a drink. When we were seated we ordered prosecco and were served flat, spoiled drinks. We sent them back and got slightly better drinks. The food was ok but not as described on the menu. My dish was served with white rice instead of quinoa. Not really a big deal,but on the whole, I thought it was very expensive for a mediocre experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- poor poor service.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/8/2013Have been here numerous times and always enjoyed the experience. This time we were very disappointed in both the food and the quality of service. It seemed that they were understaffed and the wait staff could not handle it. Waited a long time to get a drink, b/c they said that the bar was backed up. The second round as well. Well, then get more staff. The food was mediocre and took a long time to get to the table. Overall, a bad experience. Maybe new management? Need to get their act together.
- Normally this restaurant hasOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 11/5/2013Normally this restaurant has a prix fix menu for $24.95. It was restaurant week so it was $27.95.I didn't like their menu for the "special" The 3 other people ordered off the overly priced regular menu. We all found our entrees mediocre and bland.I haven't been there in a long time and don't plan on going back.