Taft St. #8
Condado, PR 00911Neighborhood:
InternationalPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.nicherestaurant.net/
- Phone: 7872682803
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast:7:30AM to 11:00AM Daily
Sunday Brunch:10:00AM to 3:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX
- Cuisine: International
- Executive Chef: Chef Yari Enid Carmona
- Dress Code: Formal Attire
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
A word from Niche Restaurant
The stone walls, wood finishes and lounge style seating give it a sense of being in a remote and rustic location away from it all with only 7 tables. It’s a cozy and romantic ambiance, perfect for having a good meal.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Niche Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
1 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance5Noise LevelQuiet
notable wine list (1)romantic (1)special occasion (1)vibrant bar scene (1)Show More
- SuperlativeExtraordinaryDined on 9/15/2014Extraordinary food and wine place. Excellent service and the experience with the food menu was super great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor QualityGeoffDined on 6/8/2014We were not impressed at all with this restaurant. Poor quality food that was nicely presented. You could tell the seafood dishes were previously frozen by the texture. Will not return and don't recommend it either.
- Tasteless!!ZachDined on 3/30/2014This is my second time in the past 4 months. My first time I did not enjoy but my friends decided to take me because they recently hired a new chef and released a new menu. This place has completely lost its glory from a few years ago and is nowhere close to regaining it. The new menu isn't appealing at all and each item I ordered as well as my friends had very little or no taste.
- Skip This Restaurant.......MollyDined on 3/23/2014I read mixed reviews so decided to take a chance even though I knew it was going to be expensive. I definitely made the wrong choice. The appetizer came out way to salty, the filet I ordered medium rare and came out well done. Not what you want for $100 per person with only 1 cocktail each. The place is small and tough to find. Much better places in the area with much more happening crowd. The only positive was the service and the cocktail was good. I would not recommend this place.
- New BeginningPucksDined on 3/8/2014Niche evidently is revamping its menu and was only open for a few days over the weekend for breakfast and dinner, which we both enjoyed there. We stayed at the Acacia Boutique Hotel where they are located. Apparently they will "reopen" fully in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SpectacularNichevirgenDined on 2/14/2014First time. It was great and very romantic. Food is outstanding. Must have vodka infused drinks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hidden secret in CondadoMariobernalDined on 2/4/2014Niche is a very beautiful, small restaurant located in Acacia Boutique in Taft Street, with great food and service. Highly reccomended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never failsRudiDined on 1/11/2014Small, cozy, never fails. Had the scallops this time, very fresh and well constructed dish. Wine list is solid. Service was top notch. A little bit pricey, but worth it due to its uniqueness.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very DisapointingMollyDined on 12/22/2013This restaurant has fallen badly. They were out of the fisrt 4 wines we ordered, and finally had one that was twice the price which they did not discount. The carpaccio app came out frozen and the mussles were bad. The lobster my husband had for dinner was over cooked and my filet was too. We used to eat here a few times a year but at over $125 pp and the past 2 times were very disapointing we will not be returning anymore.
- Rediculously Expensive, Bad ServiceGeoffDined on 11/24/2013We strongly DO NOT recommend this place! We were looking for a place for a special night, and it ended up being a nightmare. Donna the hostile waitress of the restaurant, chased us to the valet parking questioning our tip of 14% on a $100 check for 2 apps and 3 glasses of wine VERY EXPENSIVE!!. She was holding our car keys until we justified not leaving her more!! She even said for us not to ever come back again. We asked the front desk of the Hotel to speak to the manager to clear things out. Instead of the manager, the crazy waitress came screaming, disrespecting all of us, and not listening to reason. It was a very sour felling after a good night…
- Not Good!!ZachDined on 11/17/2013Should have realized it wasn't good when we walked in on a Friday night at 8PM and there was only 1 other table occupied. Only positive was that the cocktails were good but expensive. This place has fallen sharply since the last time I visited 2 years ago when there was always a wait to get in.
- 5th Chef in 4 years,same olld mess!JessicaDined on 10/29/2013This place has been trying to get its status back since 3 years ago and now is on to its 5th Executive Chef in as many years. I decided again to try and yet again, a disappointment. Will not return with so many new, amazing and exciting places in Condado/San Juan to dine at.
- Not Good Anymore & Very ExpensiveMollyDined on 10/13/2013I have eaten here over the past few years when I visit Puerto Rico and I used to love this place. The past 2 times over the past 9 months were both well below average and I will not return anymore. It's sad that this once hidden gem with great personality is no longer a elite place and for the high price of everything, it is now off my list. Go to Marmalade, Santella or Augusto's instead.
- Inconsistent - Don't Bother!GeoffDined on 10/6/2013A group of us go every year to San Juan. We lucked upon Niche last year and we returned 4-5 times during our week long visit, including dinners and breakfast. One of the partners Chad gave us great service and ensured quality. This year was quite different. We found out after the fact Chad has moved on & the food wasn't good anymore. They should be ashamed with what this place has become from what it once was. Don't bother going here - it is out of the way and not worth the extra effort and highh price tag This amazing restaurant is DONE. Go to Marmalade instead - always amazing and always consistent.
- Did Not Enjoy DinnerJessicaDined on 9/1/2013Place is very small, food was bland with no taste and a bit on the pricey side
- Below Average, Nothing SpecialGeoffDined on 8/18/2013Very small restaurant that is hard to find with expensive food that is well below average. We were the only table having dinner while we were there. I told some friends I wasn't happy with our meal and they told me this place used to be very good, busy and tough to get a table but over the past year or so the chef has changed as well as management and it has been in a steady decline. Many other fantastic places to eat while in San Juan, you can skip Niche.
- Nothing SpecialMollyDined on 8/18/2013I heard about Niche last year when I planned my PR trip and was looking forward to the visit because of all the great things I read about it, but as my trip came closer the reviews seemed to get worse and worse. Some comments were about the chef, managers, partners changing, but still wanted to try it out. Well if this place used to be one of the best restaurants it has fallen sharply off the radar and after eating our dinner I know why. We were the only people in the place, and the meal was just ok, nothing was close to amazing and nothing was terrible but everything had flavor you can't get at a good home cooked meal or a place that is much less pricey. The meal was close to $100 pp which was hard to swallow due to the lack of excellence.
- Awful Meal and ExperienceMollyDined on 8/11/2013I never write reviews but this meal was so bad and expensive I just had to comment online for people to read. Everything was either under or over cooked and one item was even served partially frozen. Will never return to this restaurant and never recommend it to anyone
- What A Joke of a Place!GeoffDined on 8/6/2013This place should be embarrassed to charge the prices they do. Very expensive Entree's & Appetizers for frozen, bland and poorly prepared items. Used to be good a few years ago but has completely lost it!
- Overpriced & Extremely DispointingMollyDined on 7/26/2013Food is ok but again for the price your paying it is an average meal. I have no problem paying for a superb meal but this place falls very short.
- Niche is a great, off theOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 4/14/2013Niche is a great, off the beaten path find in San Juan. The place is small, only 7 or 8 tables but it is well worth the trip. The service is outstanding, the menu is not huge but everything on it is worth trying. I would recommend Niche to anyone traveling to San Juan. It is a bit on the pricey side but no worse than any nice restaurant in the states.Special Features:
- Five stars - Recommended!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/9/2013Took a first date to Niche restaurant, and what a good choice I made! She was so impressed! Complimentary valet parking, English speaking staff, special off the menu food requests are accommodated, and the filet mignon was absolutely delicious. My date can't stop talking about how great a time she had at Niche restaurant!Special Features:
- We always enjoy NicheSmc092470Dined on 2/28/2013everytime we go we enjoy the food ambiance and service. We had Hector adn Donna helping us. I had made the reservation through open table and requested a specific table and they had it all ready for us. The poached lobster was spectacular as was the bacon and pumpkin rissotto. Duck Confit tacos very good as well. ANd the onion soup, well let me say its not your traditional soup.Special Features:
- Great food. Very small space,OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/26/2013Great food. Very small space, which was quite cozy, only 5 tables! Service was very good.Special Features:
- 5star+ experience in San Juan!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 2/19/2013Food was tremendous... Whole Red Snapper, Ceviche, Desserts! Donna, the waitress, was so warm and friendly that everyone hugs her as they leave.Special Features:
- As the name suggests, thisOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 2/18/2013As the name suggests, this restaurant is very small but don't let that fool anyone. It is huge on food preparation and presentation as well as service. Our server, Hector, was most attentive. We enjoyed the Berkshire pork chop and the Filet Mignon for entrees. Both were the best entrees of our stay in San Juan. The flourless chocolate cake made a delicious dessert. A lovely dining experience.Special Features:
- 3 of us went to Niche to celebratePADinerVIPDined on 2/6/20133 of us went to Niche to celebrate our birthdays (2 were significant milestones). We were immediately impressed with the decor and atmosphere and knew we had picked a gem for our evening's festivities. The wait staff were pleasant, knowledgable and very accommodating. The menu was amazing and while not a huge amount to choose from (about 8 main courses as I recall, and an equal number of appetizers), they all sounded so wonderful it was difficult to choose. While the wine list wasn't extensive, it was well rounded in terms of choices. Everyone's appetizers, main courses and desserts were fantatic. I can't recommend Niche enough. It's not cheap, so bring a healthy wallet along with your appetite. But well worth it for a special occassion!Special Features:
- Never Again....ZachDined on 2/6/2013I have been to Niche various times over the past year and it used to be wonderful.I stopped going because the restaurant has changed chefs twice in the last year and the quality of the food has decreased. I decided to give it one more try and this time was no different from the poor experiences, all fish products were previously frozen none were fresh, the sauces wee bland and watery. We had the duck tacos, they were almost tasteless, the same with the carpaccio and the lamb chops. Service is friendly but not efficient. I do not recomend this restaurant unless it improves the food quality and its preparation.
- Not ImpressedZachDined on 2/3/2013I would have given this restaurant 3 Stars instead of 2, but its Very Expensive and with that kind of price PP I would expect a lot more. The Food was prapred fine but the flavors and quality lacked. The ambiance was nice but a very small place. On a positie note the drinks were good, but again expensive ($18 per Martini)
- Awful Food and ExperienceMollyDined on 2/3/2013Me and my wife went here for a romantic dinner and ended up having a terrible evening. To start the first 2 bottles of wine I choose they were out of (and the wine list isnt large), second the 2 appitizers came out cold and extremely salty. We ordered 2 entree's, the lobster and the filet. The Lobster was over cooked and chewy and the filet we ordered medium and came out very well done. I was expecting a great meal because of the reviews I read back in September and October but having read some of the more recent reviews it seems these problems are more common now and the food isnt nearly as good as it used to be and with the high price tag NOT a place you need to go with so many other fantastic restaurants in San Juan.
- Used to be MUCH better!ZachDined on 1/25/2013This was our second time dining at Niche and last year when we visted PR it was our favorite restaurant of the 5 we ate at and now its just average and for the price (which is very expensive) NOT WORTH it. The place is missing the energy and the excellent quality ingediants it used to have. One of the Partners/Managers last year named Chad was one of the highlights of the evening a year ago and has since moved on and boy does it show. He ordered everything for us from the drinks, wine, appatizers to the dessert and after dinner cocktails. He made the evening something special and memorable that it is just now lacking on top of the average food.Its sad to see one of our favorite places change so drastically in such a short period of time
- Niche was a sublime experience.OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 1/20/2013Niche was a sublime experience. Very relaxing setting, wonderful service and interesting dishes.Special Features:
- Not What it Used to BeZachDined on 12/31/2012I will be quick..This restaurant has gone from one of the best to just MEDIOCRE at best. When you add the high price tag to the meal it's a place you want to stay away from. Ate here many times over the past year and this will be my last meal as each time over the past few months has gotten worse and worse. I dont know if they have a new chef or what but the quality of the food has gotten just plain bad. The handsome man that used to run the place also hasnt been there for a few months which is definatly effecting the over experience too. My suggestion is there are many excellent restaurants within miles from here so go to them instead.
- SUPERB RESTAURANTJackDined on 12/30/2012We went to PR for vacation and tried to hit the best rated restaurants. Thye were all really good, but NICHE stood out above the rest. Absolutely a must try..small, quiet, outstanding food and great service. Wine list so so JackSpecial Features:
- Worth every centOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/24/2012It is a very small restaurant. Everything from cocktails to coffee was excellent. There were 4 of us and we shared all the various dishes. Truffle fries, duck tacos, carpaccio, mussels, lobster risotto, filet mignon, halibut, coconut creme brulée and chocolate cake. Every morsel dissolved in the mouth, was full of flavour and left a lingering desire for more. We had been in San Juan for a few days and were really disappointed with a few of the top "local" recommendations from Trip Advisor. So we booked this one for our Christmas Eve dinner based on the menu which was available on line ( as well as the booking) in the hope of finally getting a reasonable meal and were really pleasantly surprised. We thoroughly enjoyed it.Special Features:
- Balanced & Memorable.tw0eightDined on 12/10/2012This restaurant is located within an upscale boutique/hotel in Condado, San Juan. At first glance, you are taken in my the balanced mixed of organic, yet modern interior design. Stone flooring, wooden doors & walls, and water fixtures merge gracefully with color changing LEDs. The service staff is knowledgeable, courteous, and bilingual (Spanish/English) to boot. The wine list is extensive and can cater to the novice to more elitist wine appreciators. The chef sent out two delicious spinach wontons. I had the Lobster with Pumpkin Risotto and my husband had the Filet Mignon. We shared the Duck Confit Tacos. Everything was perfectly balanced for texture, taste, and presentation. We will visit again our next trip to PR!Special Features:
- Exceptional dining.KiarayalDined on 12/5/2012Nichë is a gem. The restaurant has amazing food and great ambiance. The staff is really polite and knowledgeable. It was a great experience that no body should leave without experiencing it.Special Features:
- We enjoy it very much. TheJimoDined on 10/29/2012We enjoy it very much. The service was fantastic and the food was great. I strongly recommend the restaurant for a romantic dinner.Special Features:
- Second time here. First timeUncriticVIPDined on 10/18/2012Second time here. First time was much better. Still everything was good except the service. The waitress was more concentrated in watching TV, over at the bar, than keeping the customers properly serviced. Other than that food quality was as good as the first time. I also think they can improve the consistency.Special Features:
- Excellent food. Very hardOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/9/2012Excellent food. Very hard to find. Noise levels were high. Cab driver insisted it did not exist. Phone number listed at restaurant was not answered when we tried to call for directions.Special Features: