201 West 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicematinnyc.com/
- Phone: 2128736423
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Nice Matin
"Nice Matin, named after the largest daily newspaper in the South of France, gives the Upper West Side a splash of Provençal sunshine and a heady introduction to the cuisine of Nice, home of the pissaladière, pan bagnat and, if we are to believe the menu, a whopping big burger topped with comté cheese, smeared with aioli and served with a heap of rosemary-flecked fries. It's the best thing to happen to a hamburger since Daniel Boulud worked foie gras and short ribs into an all-beef patty. The pleasure is all on the plate, and it carries right through to the desserts.", William Grimes - NY Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nice Matin reviews from OpenTable diners
174 reviews since July 2, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (106)fit for foodies (71)great for outdoor dining (64)notable wine list (63)great for lunch (58)great for brunch (46)special occasion (34)romantic (26)good for groups (22)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (15)hot spot (8)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Ladies LunchWestyDined on 10/28/2014Great place for lunch: spacious, not noisy, very good food selection and outside eating in good weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy.madisonDined on 10/24/2014Much too noisy at lunch. Could hardly hear what my companion was saying. Staff was nice.Special Features:
- FabulousTravelersDined on 10/20/2014A wonderful meal with a friend turned into a perfectly fabulous dining experience. We stumbled onto the Choucourterie festival and had seafood chocouterie which was truly divine. Nice Matin is a neighborhood gem of a restaurant for me but I cannot recall a meal that I've experienced in recent years that was so terrific! Wonderful half bottle of German wine to boot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!GaryoDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed our meals, all dishes were flavorful and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- fish badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The service and atmosphere are all good. We ordered the sole milanese which was a big mistake. A 2 inch by 6 inch rectangle like a fish stick from a box. Salad above, which infused the salad with fish stick flavor and heat. Did not want to ruin the evening by sending it back. we will not return.
- West Side Gemirene27Dined on 10/17/2014Going to Nice Martin is always special. Overall there is a vitality and excitement there that enhances the food. It's just a fun, festive place all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Upper West Side RestaurantrazfineVIPDined on 10/16/2014We ate here while vacationing in NYC. We both had the prix fixe meal for $38 which was quite a bargain. Both the chicken and the steak were delicious. The service was excellent and our server was very friendly. If you like wine, this is the place to go. They have an excellent wine list and a sommelier to help you choose what you want. If you want a nice French restaurant on the Upper West Side, go to Nice Matin.Special Features:
- Great late summer outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Met friends from California and had a great 3 hour dinner (many bottles of wine). Food was very good, service was even better.Special Features:
- Very NICE!gatorjlDined on 10/6/2014Onion pizza a must + with anchovy. No cheese!Mussels divine and fig dessert was OMG.Special Features:
- Fantastic Meal, Wonderful Servicebrig123VIPDined on 9/26/2014Nice Matin is a consistently terrific restaurant with terrific, high-level service. Food is always terrific -- the Tuscan chicken cooked under a brick is a favorite as is the steak au poivre. On our last visit, the staff expressly went out of their way: my fiance left his credit card on the table. We had walked about two blocks when his cell phone rang. They had actually looked up his name in their previous reservations (this reservation was in my name) and phoned to say that he had left his card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Reliably wonderful, I can count on Nice Matin for a great dining experience that is classy but also casual, and is it is well-located, easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SuperBillDined on 9/22/2014Nice Matin never disappoints. Lunch the other day was delightful and delicious, and the friendly atmosphere (and exceptional waitstaff) allow for extra pleasure because two diners can actually hear each other talk, a rare experience in any New York restaurant. I will continue to come back to Nice Matin and will direct my friends to its door.--BillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasure!!DenLanNYCDined on 9/21/2014First time I had the opportunity to dine at this fine establishment. Everything was excellent, from have to move my reservation as I was running a little late up to dessert.Special Features:
- Nice is always NICE...boyartistDined on 9/21/2014Nice Matin is always a pleasure. I've had one lunch and two dinners there this month. The food is excellent, the atmosphere delightful, and the staff do a terrific job of making you feel special. It's always good to have a restaurant that you can bring guests to, and know that they will most likely have a grand experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing wines..DarburroDined on 9/18/2014I booked this restaurant based on an article in The Wine Spectator where they rated it as one of the top wine lists in the USA. They certainly did not disappoint. It was extensive, and what I liked most about it, they had wines in every price range. We had a 1989 Pommerol and it was delicious. It was reasonably priced at $ 150.00. We also had a lovely bottle of Rose Champagne for under $ 90.00. The waiter was very helpful in suggesting apps. that went with the bubbly and mains that went with the Pommerol. He did a wonderful job. We sat outside and watched the world go by. The food was very good, the ambiance was wonderful. Sean, the sommelier was a wonderful young man, far from being stuffy, he was very approachable. I will come back againSpecial Features:
- BillBillDined on 9/18/2014We sat outside. Great fun. They need to replace the chairs with standard French cafe chairs. Very uncomfortable because the backs are sloped too much. Great food. Outstanding waitress. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KiskutyaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Food overcooked and dry. Service poor. Had to wait for 30 mins. for dessert. No explanation. Finally came and was given of to us free of charge. One plus in our favor.
- Perfect daysaddeclineVIPDined on 9/18/2014We sat by an open full length window on a perfect early fall day. The food was very good. The setting was spectacular.Special Features:
- Consistent and funRuthDined on 9/17/2014Fun atmosphere with consistently good food. Spacious and comfortable outdoor space for people-watching while you eat.Special Features:
- Lively, tasty, and good locationCook4meDined on 9/11/2014Fabulous location and great place overall. But at breakfast they were out of bagels!!! Imagine that in NYC! At dinner my medium well hamburger was totally rare. They would have recooked it but it was actually very tasty, if rather rare for me. And I was hungry. I love the place but these things happen. Still it's good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and funswivyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great service, very good food, ample portions. It is always a pleasure to dine at Nice Matin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMikeinDCVIPDined on 9/2/2014With a spectacular wine list that has 2,500 selections! Ask for help from the wonderful sommelier who will gladly suggest alternative wines at a better value than something you might have been considering. Food is fantastic and a tremendous value for NY, especially their price fixe dinner menu. I come up from DC at least once a month and make my way to Nice Matan at least 6 times a year as I love the warm, welcoming setting, the appropriately-available and knowledgeable staff and great value.Special Features:
- SabrinaVIPDined on 8/29/2014The service was exceptional The food great. We would definitely come backSpecial Features:
- A wonderful Mediterranean Bistro!!BruceMACDined on 8/28/2014NICE MATIN is a wonderful Mediterranean Bistro on the Upper West Side. It was the "Right" spot for our family (1/2 from Boston & 1/2 from Graz Austria) to gather in NYC! The Grilled Tuna Nicoise was Fantastique!!! We were told that Avi's Wine list was its own NYC attraction & we must say Ausgezeichnet!!! Merci Beaucoup for a Wonderful Evening in the "Big Apple"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food amazing serviceCr450VIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for lunch last week and really liked the place. The whole team made us feel comfortable, our waitress B was outstanding and we had a nice chat with a manager . Food was nice and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite breakfast place!DaleDineDined on 8/28/2014Good and varied menu items for breakfast, lovely ambiance and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worldtravelerVIPDined on 8/25/2014Nice Matin is the perfect spot to dine alfresco and enjoy delicious food. The prices are fair for the food delivered and the service is good.Special Features:
- Nice Matin...VERY NICE!!!WendyDined on 8/25/2014Three of us were celebrating the birthday of two of us. We had a wonderful dinner; the staff was friendly, courteous, and accommodating. One amusing thing happened when 2 waiters brought out dessert with a candle in each of the 2 birthday celebrants' cakes, they did so in silence. (I would have at least expected a "Happy Birthday to You...". Oh, well.) My escargots as appetizer were delicious, and my main course - the daily special, brook trout - was also extraordinary. You don't need an occasion or a reason to dine here, but having one made the evening even more special.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemtennisdivaDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is very welcoming and beautifully decorated. Our waitress was very patient, polite and gave us excellent appetizer and entrée suggestions. We will definitely return to this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSteveS92VIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I went to Nice Matin for a dinner before theater. The staff was perfectly nice, but service was very slow and our food arrived half-cold. I'm sure they'd have fixed it if we complained, but we were in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for a re-do. We probably won't go back.
- Beautiful timeLuvUWSDined on 8/15/2014Welcoming atmosphere, beautifully plated, fresh ingredients,courteous staffSpecial Features:
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We eat at Nice Matin whenever we are in the neighborhood. The food and service are consistently great. The wine list is amazing and the sommelier is friendly and helpful. The prix fixe is good value. All in all, it's one of our "go to" restaurants when we want a good french meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014The wine list here is superb, particularly if you enjoy older wines. Too bad the food wasn't up to the wine, though. But if you stick to simple things, like a cheese plate or salad, you'll have a wonderful experience. Service was also quite nice, and the tables leave room for normal conversation, a rarity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dining on a summer pmMarkDined on 8/6/2014Hadn't been in a while but now remember why we love this place. Evan was outstanding as a server - helped us navigate some changes to the menu, recommended great wine pairings and a really nice person overall. Made us feel very welcome. Loved the grilled merguez and portobello carpaccio to start. Lamb also perfection- generous portions and great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCather123VIPDined on 8/3/2014We really enjoyed out Restaurant Week meal at Nice Matin. Good menu, large portions. The bronzino was particularly good, the steak dish tasty. My son enjoyed his cod on the regular menu. Prices are reasonable. The waitress was very nice but it took quite a while to get the sommelier to our table. That said, the wine was outstanding, although not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, tasty French cookingNYContheroadVIPDined on 8/1/2014It's always a pleasure to eat at Nice Matin - I've had many lunches there and enjoy the salads and soupe au pistou. The Restaurant Week lunch was particularly good, offering lots of variety and generous portions.Special Features:
- Could have been better..BronwynDined on 7/31/2014I have many friends who rave about his place, but while my meal was 'adequate' I thought it would be better. I had a friend in town and we thought we would treat ourselves. We ordered from the prix fixe Restaurant Week menu and also a not so cheap bottle of wine. Time between courses was rediculously long and we even spent 20 mins with our dirty entree dishes in front of us before they were cleared. It almost felt because we ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, that we were inferior diners. Our steak was perfectly cooked,but just not a great piece of meat to start off with...a tad too fatty and it had a weird grassy sauce on top. I'll probably be back again, but think maybe I'll get better good if I order off the regular menu!Special Features:
- C'est Bon!mjaneeDined on 7/31/2014Lovely dining experience from start to finish. I had the pansito appetizer & branzino entree. The food was delicious. The staff was friendly & attentive. They have the most extensive wine list I've ever seen! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spot on UWSAntieMDined on 7/30/2014My friend and I were looking for a good late lunch spot and an acquaintance recommended Nice Matin. I'm so glad we went here and were able to take advantage of their Restaurant Week lunch menu. The food was AMAZING, a great location for our post-lunch plans, and the waitstaff was professional, friendly, and helpful.Special Features:
- Delicious but too small a portionmtmdDined on 7/28/2014Went for a restaurant week lunch. Too noisy inside, but very pleasant outside. Very nice service. But the main course salad, although delicious was much smaller than the appetizer and the waiter said he heard that from several people that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.