201 West 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicematinnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 873-6423
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Nice Matin
"Nice Matin, named after the largest daily newspaper in the South of France, gives the Upper West Side a splash of Provençal sunshine and a heady introduction to the cuisine of Nice, home of the pissaladière, pan bagnat and, if we are to believe the menu, a whopping big burger topped with comté cheese, smeared with aioli and served with a heap of rosemary-flecked fries. It's the best thing to happen to a hamburger since Daniel Boulud worked foie gras and short ribs into an all-beef patty. The pleasure is all on the plate, and it carries right through to the desserts.", William Grimes - NY Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nice Matin reviews from OpenTable diners
156 reviews since July 31, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (92)fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (53)great for outdoor dining (45)great for lunch (45)great for brunch (36)special occasion (26)romantic (23)good for groups (21)late-night find (15)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (6)scenic view (3)Show More
- Brilliant Food and WineMazikVIPDined on 11/27/2014We went on Thanksgiving expecting to be depressed--our kids had other things to do--and had a perfectly wonderful time at Nice, where there was a hubbub of families and friends getting together. You could get turkey and sides, but we went with less traditional fare, all of it perfectly delicious. My wife got a chi-chi kale salad to start with a heavenly glass of Moselle, I went with an amazing tarte au duxelles, rich and earthy, with which Avi the sommelier poured a lovely glass of seven year old Margaux. My duck breast came exactly as ordered, with a persimmon chutney, butternut squash, leeks and wild rice; my wife had the cod in a truffle beurre blanc. The desserts kept to the high standard: my pecan financier was set off with an acerbic cranberry sorbet. Our server, Maria, was unfailingly charming and helpful, remembering my wife didn't like ice in her water. And Avi's wine list--it gets three stars from the Wine Spectator--is so deep you could get lost in it. It's a neighborhood gem that could be a destination restaurant, it's that good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/23/2014Brought friends from out of town to dinner to Nice Matin, a restaurant we love for its food and staff. Expectations were met on the great food and surpassed by a most professional and attentive wait staff and management. Will continue our love affair with this UWS gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Upper West FrenchPattemiwestDined on 11/22/2014At the last minute we booked Nice Matin through Open Table. We had been there for perhaps ten years (or more). What a great pick. Food was excellent; service was great. We had wines by the glass and our server offered an excellnt choice. We highly recommend Nice Matin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good find!ZorroDined on 11/22/2014Great, attentive service, very good food; VERY noisy, but I guess that's the trend now.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and excellent gluten-free options, too!Marauder19Dined on 11/18/2014Took my fiance out to dinner here. Chose it because of its ample gluten-free menu and was not disappointed. They even had gluten-free dinner rolls, which is rare for dining out. The food was excellent, the wait staff very professional and courteous, and it was a wonderful dining experience. We also had a time constraint and our waiter was very accommodating. Will definitely go back! (The Fall Risotto and Hangar steaks were amazing!)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great staff!markDined on 11/16/2014Good food and lovely decor at this neighborhood gem. The friendly, professional staff made our evening with friends even better. Highly recommended. Thanks!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent eveningyankeegrl99Dined on 11/15/2014The food was amazing. Had the escargot for the appetizer. I had the mussels for my main and my boyfriend had the duck a l'orange (Saturday night special). For dessert, I had the Creme Brule and my boyfriend had the gelato. I can honestly say that each item for our meal was the best we had ever had. Usually when we have a night of theatre, my boyfriend and I search for restaurants because we like to try new things. However, the next time we have a show at the Beacon, we won't look any further than Nice Matin for reservations. Between the ambience, service and food, we found a permanent restaurant to dine at. Delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- “Nice Evening in Nice Matin”SharonBVIPDined on 11/11/2014Arrived in NYC and took a pedicab to Lucerne Hotel. Had been told of the lovely little French bistro in the Lucerne by a friend. I was not disappointed. The tuna tartare was delicious and the hanger steak perfectly prepped. When I told them I was gluten intolerant, they surprised me with a warm gluten free roll. A second dinner also did not disappoint. I had the tuna tartare (again!) and an artistic prep of Bronzino, also delicious. Since I'm staying at the hotel, breakfasts are convenient and well prepared.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KimballVIPDined on 11/8/2014The five napkin burger is no longer offered. This was a main reason for choosing this venue. The prime burger offered was okay; nothing special. The roll was bland, the sauce lacked flavor. The risotto was very tasty. The restaurant is very "tight" in that the tables are VERY close together. Every time someone walked by, our table got bumped.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never lets you downGoddessiaDined on 10/31/2014We love Nice-Matin. It's like a gourmet restaurant at half the price. Wonderful food and an unusual menu you don't see everywhere and a superb wait staff. The ambience is terrific and it's in a great neighborhood so it's a great spot for lunch or dinner while doing other things. We have never been disappointed when we've dined here.Special Features:
- Ladies LunchWestyDined on 10/28/2014Great place for lunch: spacious, not noisy, very good food selection and outside eating in good weather.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too noisy.madisonDined on 10/24/2014Much too noisy at lunch. Could hardly hear what my companion was saying. Staff was nice.Special Features:
- FabulousTravelersDined on 10/20/2014A wonderful meal with a friend turned into a perfectly fabulous dining experience. We stumbled onto the Choucourterie festival and had seafood chocouterie which was truly divine. Nice Matin is a neighborhood gem of a restaurant for me but I cannot recall a meal that I've experienced in recent years that was so terrific! Wonderful half bottle of German wine to boot!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty!GaryoDined on 10/18/2014We enjoyed our meals, all dishes were flavorful and the service was excellent.Special Features:
- fish badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/17/2014The service and atmosphere are all good. We ordered the sole milanese which was a big mistake. A 2 inch by 6 inch rectangle like a fish stick from a box. Salad above, which infused the salad with fish stick flavor and heat. Did not want to ruin the evening by sending it back. we will not return.
- West Side Gemirene27Dined on 10/17/2014Going to Nice Martin is always special. Overall there is a vitality and excitement there that enhances the food. It's just a fun, festive place all the time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Upper West Side RestaurantrazfineVIPDined on 10/16/2014We ate here while vacationing in NYC. We both had the prix fixe meal for $38 which was quite a bargain. Both the chicken and the steak were delicious. The service was excellent and our server was very friendly. If you like wine, this is the place to go. They have an excellent wine list and a sommelier to help you choose what you want. If you want a nice French restaurant on the Upper West Side, go to Nice Matin.Special Features:
- Great late summer outdoor diningOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/14/2014Met friends from California and had a great 3 hour dinner (many bottles of wine). Food was very good, service was even better.Special Features:
- Very NICE!gatorjlDined on 10/6/2014Onion pizza a must + with anchovy. No cheese!Mussels divine and fig dessert was OMG.Special Features:
- Fantastic Meal, Wonderful Servicebrig123VIPDined on 9/26/2014Nice Matin is a consistently terrific restaurant with terrific, high-level service. Food is always terrific -- the Tuscan chicken cooked under a brick is a favorite as is the steak au poivre. On our last visit, the staff expressly went out of their way: my fiance left his credit card on the table. We had walked about two blocks when his cell phone rang. They had actually looked up his name in their previous reservations (this reservation was in my name) and phoned to say that he had left his card.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Reliably wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 9/23/2014Reliably wonderful, I can count on Nice Matin for a great dining experience that is classy but also casual, and is it is well-located, easy to find.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always SuperBillDined on 9/22/2014Nice Matin never disappoints. Lunch the other day was delightful and delicious, and the friendly atmosphere (and exceptional waitstaff) allow for extra pleasure because two diners can actually hear each other talk, a rare experience in any New York restaurant. I will continue to come back to Nice Matin and will direct my friends to its door.--BillSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a pleasure!!DenLanNYCDined on 9/21/2014First time I had the opportunity to dine at this fine establishment. Everything was excellent, from have to move my reservation as I was running a little late up to dessert.Special Features:
- Nice is always NICE...boyartistDined on 9/21/2014Nice Matin is always a pleasure. I've had one lunch and two dinners there this month. The food is excellent, the atmosphere delightful, and the staff do a terrific job of making you feel special. It's always good to have a restaurant that you can bring guests to, and know that they will most likely have a grand experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing wines..DarburroDined on 9/18/2014I booked this restaurant based on an article in The Wine Spectator where they rated it as one of the top wine lists in the USA. They certainly did not disappoint. It was extensive, and what I liked most about it, they had wines in every price range. We had a 1989 Pommerol and it was delicious. It was reasonably priced at $ 150.00. We also had a lovely bottle of Rose Champagne for under $ 90.00. The waiter was very helpful in suggesting apps. that went with the bubbly and mains that went with the Pommerol. He did a wonderful job. We sat outside and watched the world go by. The food was very good, the ambiance was wonderful. Sean, the sommelier was a wonderful young man, far from being stuffy, he was very approachable. I will come back againSpecial Features:
- BillBillDined on 9/18/2014We sat outside. Great fun. They need to replace the chairs with standard French cafe chairs. Very uncomfortable because the backs are sloped too much. Great food. Outstanding waitress. We will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- KiskutyaVIPDined on 9/18/2014Food overcooked and dry. Service poor. Had to wait for 30 mins. for dessert. No explanation. Finally came and was given of to us free of charge. One plus in our favor.
- Perfect daysaddeclineVIPDined on 9/18/2014We sat by an open full length window on a perfect early fall day. The food was very good. The setting was spectacular.Special Features:
- Consistent and funRuthDined on 9/17/2014Fun atmosphere with consistently good food. Spacious and comfortable outdoor space for people-watching while you eat.Special Features:
- Lively, tasty, and good locationCook4meDined on 9/11/2014Fabulous location and great place overall. But at breakfast they were out of bagels!!! Imagine that in NYC! At dinner my medium well hamburger was totally rare. They would have recooked it but it was actually very tasty, if rather rare for me. And I was hungry. I love the place but these things happen. Still it's good.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Yummy and funswivyVIPDined on 9/10/2014Great service, very good food, ample portions. It is always a pleasure to dine at Nice Matin.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neighborhood GemMikeinDCVIPDined on 9/2/2014With a spectacular wine list that has 2,500 selections! Ask for help from the wonderful sommelier who will gladly suggest alternative wines at a better value than something you might have been considering. Food is fantastic and a tremendous value for NY, especially their price fixe dinner menu. I come up from DC at least once a month and make my way to Nice Matan at least 6 times a year as I love the warm, welcoming setting, the appropriately-available and knowledgeable staff and great value.Special Features:
- SabrinaVIPDined on 8/29/2014The service was exceptional The food great. We would definitely come backSpecial Features:
- A wonderful Mediterranean Bistro!!BruceMACDined on 8/28/2014NICE MATIN is a wonderful Mediterranean Bistro on the Upper West Side. It was the "Right" spot for our family (1/2 from Boston & 1/2 from Graz Austria) to gather in NYC! The Grilled Tuna Nicoise was Fantastique!!! We were told that Avi's Wine list was its own NYC attraction & we must say Ausgezeichnet!!! Merci Beaucoup for a Wonderful Evening in the "Big Apple"Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food amazing serviceCr450VIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for lunch last week and really liked the place. The whole team made us feel comfortable, our waitress B was outstanding and we had a nice chat with a manager . Food was nice and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- My favorite breakfast place!DaleDineDined on 8/28/2014Good and varied menu items for breakfast, lovely ambiance and good service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worldtravelerVIPDined on 8/25/2014Nice Matin is the perfect spot to dine alfresco and enjoy delicious food. The prices are fair for the food delivered and the service is good.Special Features:
- Nice Matin...VERY NICE!!!WendyDined on 8/25/2014Three of us were celebrating the birthday of two of us. We had a wonderful dinner; the staff was friendly, courteous, and accommodating. One amusing thing happened when 2 waiters brought out dessert with a candle in each of the 2 birthday celebrants' cakes, they did so in silence. (I would have at least expected a "Happy Birthday to You...". Oh, well.) My escargots as appetizer were delicious, and my main course - the daily special, brook trout - was also extraordinary. You don't need an occasion or a reason to dine here, but having one made the evening even more special.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemtennisdivaDined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is very welcoming and beautifully decorated. Our waitress was very patient, polite and gave us excellent appetizer and entrée suggestions. We will definitely return to this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSteveS92VIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I went to Nice Matin for a dinner before theater. The staff was perfectly nice, but service was very slow and our food arrived half-cold. I'm sure they'd have fixed it if we complained, but we were in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for a re-do. We probably won't go back.