201 West 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicematinnyc.com/
- Phone: (212) 873-6423
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Nice Matin
"Nice Matin, named after the largest daily newspaper in the South of France, gives the Upper West Side a splash of Provençal sunshine and a heady introduction to the cuisine of Nice, home of the pissaladière, pan bagnat and, if we are to believe the menu, a whopping big burger topped with comté cheese, smeared with aioli and served with a heap of rosemary-flecked fries. It's the best thing to happen to a hamburger since Daniel Boulud worked foie gras and short ribs into an all-beef patty. The pleasure is all on the plate, and it carries right through to the desserts.", William Grimes - NY Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nice Matin reviews from OpenTable diners
167 reviews since July 24, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (93)fit for foodies (67)notable wine list (56)great for outdoor dining (53)great for lunch (52)great for brunch (40)special occasion (28)romantic (25)good for groups (21)late-night find (16)kid-friendly (12)hot spot (9)vibrant bar scene (7)scenic view (3)Show More
- Could have been better..BronwynDined on 7/31/2014I have many friends who rave about his place, but while my meal was 'adequate' I thought it would be better. I had a friend in town and we thought we would treat ourselves. We ordered from the prix fixe Restaurant Week menu and also a not so cheap bottle of wine. Time between courses was rediculously long and we even spent 20 mins with our dirty entree dishes in front of us before they were cleared. It almost felt because we ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, that we were inferior diners. Our steak was perfectly cooked,but just not a great piece of meat to start off with...a tad too fatty and it had a weird grassy sauce on top. I'll probably be back again, but think maybe I'll get better good if I order off the regular menu!Special Features:
- C'est Bon!mjaneeDined on 7/31/2014Lovely dining experience from start to finish. I had the pansito appetizer & branzino entree. The food was delicious. The staff was friendly & attentive. They have the most extensive wine list I've ever seen! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spot on UWSAntieMDined on 7/30/2014My friend and I were looking for a good late lunch spot and an acquaintance recommended Nice Matin. I'm so glad we went here and were able to take advantage of their Restaurant Week lunch menu. The food was AMAZING, a great location for our post-lunch plans, and the waitstaff was professional, friendly, and helpful.Special Features:
- Delicious but too small a portionmtmdDined on 7/28/2014Went for a restaurant week lunch. Too noisy inside, but very pleasant outside. Very nice service. But the main course salad, although delicious was much smaller than the appetizer and the waiter said he heard that from several people that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2014ordered an octopus salad for 18$ but then it arrived and clearly was an appetizer...small and tastelessSpecial Features:
- Go for the WineAl1708VIPDined on 7/26/2014The wine list is very extensive with wines that are reasonably price up to $15,000 for a bottle. The food is good, not great and the prices are reasonable. The wait staff is friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Our table was neglected plain and simple and it was late at night. Better off going to French Roast cheaper food and the service is better even at 3 in the morning
- Amazing!LissieJDined on 7/25/2014I love french food and we came here during restaurant week and sat outside. Everything was perfect...can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there, won't be our lastRandiTinaDined on 7/25/2014We ordered from the Restaurant Week dinner menu and all of our dishes were delicious. They don't rush you and the wait staff is very personable and professional. We ate outside this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodjgrahamiiiVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was very good for the price, which was very reasonable by NYC standards. Some dishes, like the Pansoti, were exceptional. Others, like the summer grill, serviceable, but lacked some pizzazz tasted at other neighborhood restaurants with a similar dish. Overall, would go back if in the area.Special Features:
- What service?UpperWestsiderDined on 7/25/2014Went for restaurant week lunch, sated immediately,placed order,waited half hour for appetizer, then almost an hour for hanger steak entree,never saw waiter. When entree came out it was raw, took another 15 minutes to cook again. It seemed that the ticket was lost in the kitchen. The dessert order was wrong also. They apparently don't have enough staff on Friday afternoon. We are neighborhood people and will never come here again and will tell all the people we know to avoid a place that has no idea of service.
- Jb317Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent food, but we waited over an hour for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice outside but noisydocky2VIPDined on 7/24/2014I enjoy eating out at this restaurant cause the inside is so so noisy. This time, the outside was too since there was a broken down tbus outside that was being worked on while we were sitting there. It is a lose /lose cause to go in faces the echoing noise of the hard surfaces and outside facing the extra street noise with the truck. The food, however, was just delicious - and it was restaurant week so a good deal too.Special Features:
- swimmerVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very friendly staff, but the noiselevel was way too high; conversation required shouting. Beef was tasty but tough. Disappointing visit.Special Features:
- The following 1213 reviews are from the Nice Matin reviews archive.
- excellentprefernottoVIPDined on 7/22/2014Excellent food and wine with a very attentive, yet unobtrusive, wait staff. Very bright lights could be a bit dimmer to improve the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014This is a well-lit pleasant restaurant with courtesy but not fussy service. Food is fine and cooked the way you request it.Special Features:
- GaryUWSDined on 7/22/2014.................inside noise level - ridiculous (like many restaurants in NY Today......ENERGETIC??? no, just too NOISY to have a conversation. We ate outside and endured the heat/humidity so we could have a conversation over the sound of the trucks rolling up Amsterdam Avenue....easier than trying to talk inside. The food was as usual, delicious. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice matinbillVIPDined on 7/22/2014nice matin is always enjoyable the fish is consistently delicious i enjoy the steak friites excellent service very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine lover from MABdaygirl6Dined on 7/21/2014We came because the restaurant received a grand award of excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and were very pleased with our experience. Great food and the sommelier was very helpful and gracious. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food very good service not soiloveicecreamDined on 7/20/2014Coincidentally I ate here two times in three weeks. On both occasions the food was good but not good enough to overlook the awful service. The delays the first time -- 30 minutes to deliver 2 glasses of wine? could have been a fluke. Alas, the second visit was even worse -- ninety minutes to deliver the main course? Plus other requests -- 2 plates to share a salad specified as being shared when ordered, fresh napkins -- were never delivered.
- Always a great night at Nice MatinnyctastetesterVIPDined on 7/19/2014The food is amazing, the best wine list, and unmatched service. Every trip to Nice Matin is a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink wine, skip the mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014Amazing wine list, ghastly food. There's no chain restaurant equivalent for French Food, but think Olive Garden quality.Special Features:
- Never disappointsCarmisaDined on 7/18/2014I come to Nice Matin, frequently, and never have I been disappointed. The food excellent and the service: perfection!!! A great and friendly place, which I continue to adore.Special Features:
- Weekend in New YorkJCMLDined on 7/16/2014Happen to the see the recent award by Wine Spectator for their wine list and it turned out the restaurant was right around the corner from where my wife and I were staying. Sat outside along 79th street on a beautiful evening. Very nice service. Our apps were exceptional, escargot and tuna tartare. My veal was delicious as was my wife's mussels. We made a mistake with our wine order and would have benefited by asking for some assistance. Would return on future visits.Special Features:
- Great findHarlanDined on 7/14/2014This is a beautiful restaurant that forgoes the trend of squeezing in tables everywhere. The spacious seating area is enhanced by beautiful wall paper and friendly servers. Great service. And, the food was innovative, well prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- Tres bienOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2014This is a neighborhood gem. It can get loud inside, but other wise perfect in every way. The food is always great and interesting. The wine list is extensive and fits all budgets. The waiters know the menu and the wine. Eat here and eat here often.Special Features:
- unique ideatattooedDined on 7/11/2014We found the restaurant to be a fine combination of tastes with a French theme and undertones. Would absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchWestyDined on 7/10/2014Always dependable for French bistro fare, Nice Matin was my choice for my friend's birthday lunch. We both had salads, which were tasty and interesting: She chose a vegan one and I had one served over a chicken paillard.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceKIPsMasterVIPDined on 7/8/2014We were running late and they allowed us to move our reservations back. Then because we were in a rush to see a show, they got us our food in 15 minutes! Food was great and services excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features:
- SolidSteveVIPDined on 7/7/2014Always a good meal at Nice Matin. We had the tuna, a salad and the burger. Excellent.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 7/6/2014As usual the food, beverage and service keep us coming back!Special Features:
- Nice MatinRioMarVIPDined on 7/5/2014Attended an event that featured 50 restaurants from the UWS. this was one of them and on the basis of the samples they handed out we invited foodie Friends to join us. Three if us had fish: two spiced salmon and one cod. All we very good. The fourth order was for duck. Looked perfectly cooked. Very good wine options at reasonable prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BuzzDined on 6/30/2014We both had a lovely meal and a very good time. I would suggest, though, that a few more vegan or vegetarian meals be added to the menu. It would help.Special Features:
- Good Sun Evening at Nice MatinIrishfe53VIPDined on 6/29/2014Reception staff is welcoming and tries to meet your table requests from OpenTable. For decades food, wine, and more recently beer, have been very good. Service continues to be helpful and efficient. Most recently enjoyed escargot, crab parfait with rice cakes, really good chocolate and coffee gelato and raspberry sorbet. I never have had a poor experience for any meal at Nice Matin. Daily specials are always good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Paris in New YorkHIN421VIPDined on 6/27/2014New York's version of a a French cafe. Pleasant, soothing atmosphere, great french style food, very good srvice...what mre can you ask for at a romantic lunch for two.Special Features:
- Lovely and delicious, as usual ...BarbDined on 6/22/2014... but missed the Pasta Forte which is no longer on the menu. : (Special Features:
- SuperbPinettoVIPDined on 6/21/2014Nice Matin never disappoints; it constantly raises its standards and it is always a welcome opportunity to dine there. Better than courteous service, Schuyler was a great waiter. Sometimes the noise level inside is too much. I always recommend it.Special Features:
- Old FaithfulmanhattanVIPDined on 6/20/2014Nice Matin is consistent and reliable. It's particularly nice at lunch because there's so much light. If it's not too hot, sitting outside is pleasant. There is nothing earth-shaking about the food, you'd never come here unless you were in the general neighborhood, but it's solidly good.
- HSPSVIPDined on 6/19/2014We eat at Nice Matin on each trip to NYC and it has never disappointed. We have also recommended to others on their trips to NYC. Excellent food and wine. We will return during our next trip for the US Open.Special Features:
- Always goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/19/2014Had a perfect outside table & then it started to drizzle - host found us seating inside before we even asked - great staff & good food...Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.