201 West 79th Street
New York, NY 10024Neighborhood:
Upper West Side
FrenchPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.nicematinnyc.com/
- Phone: 2128736423
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast Daily: 7:00am - 11:30am; Lunch: Monday - Friday: 11:30am - 5:00pm; Dinner: Sunday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 11:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 12:00am
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, French
- Executive Chef: Andy D'Amico
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Cafe, Full Bar, Patio/Outdoor Dining
A word from Nice Matin
"Nice Matin, named after the largest daily newspaper in the South of France, gives the Upper West Side a splash of Provençal sunshine and a heady introduction to the cuisine of Nice, home of the pissaladière, pan bagnat and, if we are to believe the menu, a whopping big burger topped with comté cheese, smeared with aioli and served with a heap of rosemary-flecked fries. It's the best thing to happen to a hamburger since Daniel Boulud worked foie gras and short ribs into an all-beef patty. The pleasure is all on the plate, and it carries right through to the desserts.", William Grimes - NY Times.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nice Matin reviews from OpenTable diners
176 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (104)great for outdoor dining (74)great for lunch (64)notable wine list (61)fit for foodies (60)great for brunch (56)special occasion (33)romantic (31)late-night find (20)kid-friendly (18)good for groups (18)vibrant bar scene (13)hot spot (11)scenic view (3)Show More
- Good food amazing serviceCr450VIPDined on 8/28/2014We went for lunch last week and really liked the place. The whole team made us feel comfortable, our waitress B was outstanding and we had a nice chat with a manager . Food was nice and fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- worldtravelerVIPDined on 8/25/2014Nice Matin is the perfect spot to dine alfresco and enjoy delicious food. The prices are fair for the food delivered and the service is good.Special Features:
- Nice Matin...VERY NICE!!!WendyDined on 8/25/2014Three of us were celebrating the birthday of two of us. We had a wonderful dinner; the staff was friendly, courteous, and accommodating. One amusing thing happened when 2 waiters brought out dessert with a candle in each of the 2 birthday celebrants' cakes, they did so in silence. (I would have at least expected a "Happy Birthday to You...". Oh, well.) My escargots as appetizer were delicious, and my main course - the daily special, brook trout - was also extraordinary. You don't need an occasion or a reason to dine here, but having one made the evening even more special.Special Features:
- Neighborhood GemOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/24/2014The restaurant is very welcoming and beautifully decorated. Our waitress was very patient, polite and gave us excellent appetizer and entrée suggestions. We will definitely return to this neighborhood gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedSteveS92VIPDined on 8/16/2014My wife and I went to Nice Matin for a dinner before theater. The staff was perfectly nice, but service was very slow and our food arrived half-cold. I'm sure they'd have fixed it if we complained, but we were in a hurry and didn't have time to wait for a re-do. We probably won't go back.
- Beautiful timeLuvUWSDined on 8/15/2014Welcoming atmosphere, beautifully plated, fresh ingredients,courteous staffSpecial Features:
- Consistently greatOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/9/2014We eat at Nice Matin whenever we are in the neighborhood. The food and service are consistently great. The wine list is amazing and the sommelier is friendly and helpful. The prix fixe is good value. All in all, it's one of our "go to" restaurants when we want a good french meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Go for the wine!OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/8/2014The wine list here is superb, particularly if you enjoy older wines. Too bad the food wasn't up to the wine, though. But if you stick to simple things, like a cheese plate or salad, you'll have a wonderful experience. Service was also quite nice, and the tables leave room for normal conversation, a rarity!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great outdoor dining on a summer pmMarkDined on 8/6/2014Hadn't been in a while but now remember why we love this place. Evan was outstanding as a server - helped us navigate some changes to the menu, recommended great wine pairings and a really nice person overall. Made us feel very welcome. Loved the grilled merguez and portobello carpaccio to start. Lamb also perfection- generous portions and great value.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousCather123VIPDined on 8/3/2014We really enjoyed out Restaurant Week meal at Nice Matin. Good menu, large portions. The bronzino was particularly good, the steak dish tasty. My son enjoyed his cod on the regular menu. Prices are reasonable. The waitress was very nice but it took quite a while to get the sommelier to our table. That said, the wine was outstanding, although not cheap.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Interesting, tasty French cookingNYContheroadVIPDined on 8/1/2014It's always a pleasure to eat at Nice Matin - I've had many lunches there and enjoy the salads and soupe au pistou. The Restaurant Week lunch was particularly good, offering lots of variety and generous portions.Special Features:
- Could have been better..BronwynDined on 7/31/2014I have many friends who rave about his place, but while my meal was 'adequate' I thought it would be better. I had a friend in town and we thought we would treat ourselves. We ordered from the prix fixe Restaurant Week menu and also a not so cheap bottle of wine. Time between courses was rediculously long and we even spent 20 mins with our dirty entree dishes in front of us before they were cleared. It almost felt because we ordered from the Restaurant Week menu, that we were inferior diners. Our steak was perfectly cooked,but just not a great piece of meat to start off with...a tad too fatty and it had a weird grassy sauce on top. I'll probably be back again, but think maybe I'll get better good if I order off the regular menu!Special Features:
- C'est Bon!mjaneeDined on 7/31/2014Lovely dining experience from start to finish. I had the pansito appetizer & branzino entree. The food was delicious. The staff was friendly & attentive. They have the most extensive wine list I've ever seen! I will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunch spot on UWSAntieMDined on 7/30/2014My friend and I were looking for a good late lunch spot and an acquaintance recommended Nice Matin. I'm so glad we went here and were able to take advantage of their Restaurant Week lunch menu. The food was AMAZING, a great location for our post-lunch plans, and the waitstaff was professional, friendly, and helpful.Special Features:
- Delicious but too small a portionmtmdDined on 7/28/2014Went for a restaurant week lunch. Too noisy inside, but very pleasant outside. Very nice service. But the main course salad, although delicious was much smaller than the appetizer and the waiter said he heard that from several people that day.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- very disappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/28/2014ordered an octopus salad for 18$ but then it arrived and clearly was an appetizer...small and tastelessSpecial Features:
- Go for the WineAl1708VIPDined on 7/26/2014The wine list is very extensive with wines that are reasonably price up to $15,000 for a bottle. The food is good, not great and the prices are reasonable. The wait staff is friendly and helpful.Special Features:
- Poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/25/2014Our table was neglected plain and simple and it was late at night. Better off going to French Roast cheaper food and the service is better even at 3 in the morning
- Amazing!LissieJDined on 7/25/2014I love french food and we came here during restaurant week and sat outside. Everything was perfect...can't wait to go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time there, won't be our lastRandiTinaDined on 7/25/2014We ordered from the Restaurant Week dinner menu and all of our dishes were delicious. They don't rush you and the wait staff is very personable and professional. We ate outside this time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodjgrahamiiiVIPDined on 7/25/2014Food was very good for the price, which was very reasonable by NYC standards. Some dishes, like the Pansoti, were exceptional. Others, like the summer grill, serviceable, but lacked some pizzazz tasted at other neighborhood restaurants with a similar dish. Overall, would go back if in the area.Special Features:
- What service?UpperWestsiderDined on 7/25/2014Went for restaurant week lunch, sated immediately,placed order,waited half hour for appetizer, then almost an hour for hanger steak entree,never saw waiter. When entree came out it was raw, took another 15 minutes to cook again. It seemed that the ticket was lost in the kitchen. The dessert order was wrong also. They apparently don't have enough staff on Friday afternoon. We are neighborhood people and will never come here again and will tell all the people we know to avoid a place that has no idea of service.
- Jb317Dined on 7/25/2014Excellent food, but we waited over an hour for it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice outside but noisydocky2VIPDined on 7/24/2014I enjoy eating out at this restaurant cause the inside is so so noisy. This time, the outside was too since there was a broken down tbus outside that was being worked on while we were sitting there. It is a lose /lose cause to go in faces the echoing noise of the hard surfaces and outside facing the extra street noise with the truck. The food, however, was just delicious - and it was restaurant week so a good deal too.Special Features:
- swimmerVIPDined on 7/23/2014Very friendly staff, but the noiselevel was way too high; conversation required shouting. Beef was tasty but tough. Disappointing visit.Special Features:
- excellentprefernottoVIPDined on 7/22/2014Excellent food and wine with a very attentive, yet unobtrusive, wait staff. Very bright lights could be a bit dimmer to improve the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- pleasant diningOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/22/2014This is a well-lit pleasant restaurant with courtesy but not fussy service. Food is fine and cooked the way you request it.Special Features:
- GaryUWSDined on 7/22/2014.................inside noise level - ridiculous (like many restaurants in NY Today......ENERGETIC??? no, just too NOISY to have a conversation. We ate outside and endured the heat/humidity so we could have a conversation over the sound of the trucks rolling up Amsterdam Avenue....easier than trying to talk inside. The food was as usual, delicious. Service was good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- nice matinbillVIPDined on 7/22/2014nice matin is always enjoyable the fish is consistently delicious i enjoy the steak friites excellent service very accommodatingSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wine lover from MABdaygirl6Dined on 7/21/2014We came because the restaurant received a grand award of excellence from Wine Spectator magazine and were very pleased with our experience. Great food and the sommelier was very helpful and gracious. A wonderful experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- food very good service not soiloveicecreamDined on 7/20/2014Coincidentally I ate here two times in three weeks. On both occasions the food was good but not good enough to overlook the awful service. The delays the first time -- 30 minutes to deliver 2 glasses of wine? could have been a fluke. Alas, the second visit was even worse -- ninety minutes to deliver the main course? Plus other requests -- 2 plates to share a salad specified as being shared when ordered, fresh napkins -- were never delivered.
- Always a great night at Nice MatinnyctastetesterDined on 7/19/2014The food is amazing, the best wine list, and unmatched service. Every trip to Nice Matin is a great experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Drink wine, skip the mealOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/18/2014Amazing wine list, ghastly food. There's no chain restaurant equivalent for French Food, but think Olive Garden quality.Special Features:
- Never disappointsCarmisaDined on 7/18/2014I come to Nice Matin, frequently, and never have I been disappointed. The food excellent and the service: perfection!!! A great and friendly place, which I continue to adore.Special Features:
- Weekend in New YorkJCMLDined on 7/16/2014Happen to the see the recent award by Wine Spectator for their wine list and it turned out the restaurant was right around the corner from where my wife and I were staying. Sat outside along 79th street on a beautiful evening. Very nice service. Our apps were exceptional, escargot and tuna tartare. My veal was delicious as was my wife's mussels. We made a mistake with our wine order and would have benefited by asking for some assistance. Would return on future visits.Special Features:
- Great findHarlanDined on 7/14/2014This is a beautiful restaurant that forgoes the trend of squeezing in tables everywhere. The spacious seating area is enhanced by beautiful wall paper and friendly servers. Great service. And, the food was innovative, well prepared and delicious.Special Features:
- Tres bienOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/13/2014This is a neighborhood gem. It can get loud inside, but other wise perfect in every way. The food is always great and interesting. The wine list is extensive and fits all budgets. The waiters know the menu and the wine. Eat here and eat here often.Special Features:
- unique ideatattooedDined on 7/11/2014We found the restaurant to be a fine combination of tastes with a French theme and undertones. Would absolutely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday lunchWestyDined on 7/10/2014Always dependable for French bistro fare, Nice Matin was my choice for my friend's birthday lunch. We both had salads, which were tasty and interesting: She chose a vegan one and I had one served over a chicken paillard.Special Features:
- Excellent ServiceKIPsMasterVIPDined on 7/8/2014We were running late and they allowed us to move our reservations back. Then because we were in a rush to see a show, they got us our food in 15 minutes! Food was great and services excellent. Will definitely return.Special Features: