99 3rd Ave.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ngamnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127778424x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 11:00pm,
Dinner: Friday - Sunday: 5pm - 12:00am
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Thai
- Executive Chef: Hong Thaimee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering options:
*Delivery for corporate events and meetings (premiers, receptions, etc)
*On-site catering for special events
*Chef Hong Thaimee personal on-site cooking
We love to serve you in and out of house. Please feel free to contact our Event Manager for more information on menu and price options:
Crystal Rogers | 212-777-8424
- Special Events: Fall & Winter Events-
Happy Hour, Thai pre fixe brunch
Visit: www.ngamnyc.com for our most recent Event Calendar
We love to host your special evenings here at NGAM. We have customized options for all events including meetings, receptions and celebrations. Please feel free to contact our Event Manager for reservations and more information on food and music options: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
A word from Ngam
Long ago chef Ngamprom "Hong" Thaimee left her modeling and television work in Thailand and made her way into the world of food, trainining under Thailand's most celebrated chef, M.L. Sirichalerm Savsti. Eventually she came to New York, where Thaimee cooked at Kittichai and Spice Market. She now goes solo at Ngam, which, aside from being her namesake, happens to be the Thai word for beautiful. The Union Square area spot serves updated spins on Thai comfort food, including a tom yum soup with crispy trout, Thai burger with papaya salad, pad Thai with grilled black tiger prawns, and duck larb salad. You'll also find a smaller lunch menu, plus a bar serving wine and beer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Ngam reviews from OpenTable diners
96 reviews since June 2, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (61)neighborhood gem (48)hot spot (28)good for groups (26)great for lunch (19)romantic (12)special occasion (9)late-night find (7)great for brunch (6)vibrant bar scene (6)Show More
- Ruined by really poor serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2013VIPDined on 9/26/2014Highs: Ambiance (good setup, community dining setup works), Energy Low: The Service was atrocious... we might have seen waiter 3 times all ight. Lots of staff, but we'd flag someone down to ask for things (another beer, sharing plates, etc) but they would forget or just ignore us because had to ask for everything 2-3 times. The food - fine, not amazing (certainly not worth the effort required with the staff). I understand the attempt at Thai/Modern US fusion, but dishes were either too far out there or boring.The Thai tacos tasted like a sausage and pepper pizza, the pad thai was kind of boring. My wife and I had high hopes for this place based on the reviews and word of mouth, but left feeling very disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good Food, Poor ServiceQAZokmEDDined on 9/21/2014Very nice restaurant, but greeted very rudely upon entering, and continued with poor service through-out the night. The food was delicious, and very original menu with a couple classics/favorites available. The food could have been a touch spicier. Overall, I'd likely go back and hope for a different server.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sam04Dined on 9/20/2014Had to wait 30 minutes for the table. Both entree orders were wrong, our server did not bother to come check on us despite us trying to flag him down multiple times. The food actually did not taste bad, and the menu was innovative - such a pity the management of the restaurant and service is so bad!
- Great nightCrebel007Dined on 9/7/2014Ngam was awesome! Fun food, great environment. Can't wait to go back!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NYCFoodieVIPDined on 9/6/2014Food was very tasty. Everything we ordered was delicious and the prices are very fair. Definitely a great place to try a unique spin on typical Thai dishes.Special Features:
- Okay Thai food.TubbymoonDined on 9/5/2014Ngam has okay Thai food but nothing special. Don't really recommend it unless you're eating late in the area. Pretty pricey.Special Features:
- Authentic Thai FoodStylin80Dined on 9/4/2014Ngam is my go to Thai place in the East Village. The food is consistently great, service is good and reasonably priced. Highlights are: Calamari appetiser and the Zucchini pad thai or the Thai Green Curry. Highly recommend sitting at the bar watching the chefs in the open kitchen, or at the long table in the middle.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/4/2014i found it from google maps and i've been on a big tom kha soup kick. there's was great. i was glad we didn't need to sit at the communal table for that meal, but it could be cool for certain occasions. overall well done thai foodSpecial Features:
- Vegan friendlyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 9/4/2014Good food great service, very accommodating for vegans, zucchini pad Thai is great.....as is the papaya salad......will be back for sure....have been there twice in the last week for takeout, which is fast and just recently for a 6 person lunch!,
- Thai spectacular!!somuchtoeatsolittletimeDined on 9/2/2014The four of us were seated at one of the lower tables towards the rear of this new THAI restaurant in our neighborhood. A higher family-style table with stools seated endlessly changing, smaller groups of two and three. Plates were large enough to share and the variety of appetizing selections gave us a peek at what was possible for future visits. Prices are not inexpensive, but the quality of the food makes this a go-to place for REALLY delicious asian food.Special Features:
- Service mattersJustanotherfoodieDined on 8/30/2014The food was good. The managing was not all too well. A group of young ladies were using the restroom as a place to do there hair and make up. Not just in the restroom but in front of a mirror that happened to be a table away from me, oh and there were two customers sitting there waiting on there food. Terrible. Management should have had the ladies escorted out of the restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Bad Experience - Raw ChickenMexicaliDined on 8/27/2014I've been here before - my 1st experience was great - this time not. The AC was broken and my BF and I sat down sweating bullets. Also, beware of a SUPER loud atmosphere. Okay if you're with friends - not okay if you're trying to get to know someone. You practically need to put your ear against your date's mouth to hear them. Service was slow, but when food finally arrived, it did tasted pretty good (I ordered papaya pad thai w/ chicken + my BF ordered old school pad thai w/ chicken). BUT when I was 1/2 way thru my meal, I noticed 2 large pieces of chicken that were completely raw :-( Manager came over + apologized - he was VERY nice and comped the meal, but still... Raw chicken is a NO NO!
- DisappointingKwar228Dined on 8/26/2014This is one of these restaurants where I don't understand why anyone gives it a good review, unless it was a total aberration and there was a dishwasher filling in for a cook on the night we were there. Utterly mediocre...like getting thai food in the suburbs. Very nice waiter but very long gaps in service..drinks took forever, ordering even longer. Food came out fairly fast.
- A new twistTony2meDined on 8/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyable gastronomic experience. Every dish, while simply prepared bursts with flavour. Excellent choices for both vegetarian and non vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, medium serviceSSGGDined on 8/6/2014The food was great - different from any Thai food I've had. We had to look around for a server to help us take our order and pay the check and not a lot of description when we asked questions about the dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative MenujenecoyoteVIPDined on 7/24/2014Lots of vegan and paleo options. Very friendly and attentive staff. They have happy hour specials on the cocktail menu and the food is creative and ambitious with many variations of old favorites that I have not seen at any other thai restaurant.Special Features:
- Great foodNYCfoodiesDined on 7/22/2014This is one of the best Thai place I have been to, great place to bring a friend or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely SpotkarareneeDined on 7/20/2014My boyfriend and I came here for dinner. He ordered the green curry with tofu, and I ordered the pad see ewe with beef. We also had a side of coconut rice --- best coconut rice I've ever had. Everything was excellent. Pretty decor, nice crowd, friendly service. Great date spot! We left very satisfied.Special Features:
- Overall goodFoodiefromupstateDined on 7/17/2014Great food, loved happy hour drinks and apps. Cozy but not cramped--For guests at least, heard at least three glasses break. My only real complaint is although I put a special note indicating a birthday, it was not acknowledged.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait but yummyMelemellyVIPDined on 7/16/2014We waited for our food for almost an hour but our server was super apologetic and accommodating (she gave us a free round of drinks). Once we received the food it was quite good though!Special Features:
- love the burgerlolcatDined on 7/12/2014Lemongrass burger was phenomenal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/11/2014Very good for gluten and dairy free options. Good was good and plenty of variety on the menuSpecial Features:
- overhypedamysshaDined on 7/5/2014the food was mediocre, service pretty bad, good drinks though.
- Spacious & tasty!SmilingCandleDined on 7/3/2014Love the modern Thai food here. Too often it's too sweet or bland, this place gets it right. Had seasonal selections: watermelon sangria, mushroom spring rolls, amazing som tom with kiwi & strawberries, pad thai made with raw zucchini noodles instead. Hot weather appropriate and great offerings for vegans too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBkos2Dined on 7/1/2014This was my second time here and both were great. Came with a group of about 12 from work and had the prix fixe. Second time I brought my girlfriend for her birthday. It was a little warm in the restaurant since the cook the food behind a bar like counter. We were promptly seated as another couple or two were waiting. The service was good but not great as sometimes it was hard to find the waitress. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the meal. Everything came out great and was rather quick. The drinks were unique and tasty. Overall had a great time for a very reasonable price.
- Delicious...OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 6/28/2014By far one of my favorite thai restaurants in NYC. The flavors of the dishes is amazing and with some unique pairings.Special Features:
- Interesting take on ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014I have no complaints about Ngam. We had the Thai Taco, the Very Rustic Chicken Soup, and the Ghang Kiaw Wan with chicken for an entree. It was all different and new to us, and everything tasted good. Our waitress was friendly and reasonably attentive. When I mentioned the Yelp check-in deal, she offered to deduct the price of my friend's mojito, even though the deal is technically only for beer or wine (I think). I would definitely come back here at some point.Special Features:
- 6/21/2014bmr2014Dined on 6/21/2014Great Food and service, but the restaurant itself was so loud that I had to almost shout in order to talk to the person next to me (most likely a function of eating there at 7 P.M. on a saturday night). I would definitely recommend trying this place out, just maybe not at a peak dining time.Special Features:
- Love this placeInfoodheaven21Dined on 6/17/2014Come here whenever I can and recommend it to everyone. No other pad Thai compares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Thai with a Twist!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014I was looking for a new Thai spotted when I found Ngam, the menu features traditional Thai dishes with a unique twist (like Pad Thai made with zucchini noodles). They also had a GREAT cocktail menu with fresh ingredients like kiwi and thai basil, try the Spring Fling. I went there with my boyfriend and the dishes were a good side for splitting so we got to try a few different things. Overall the experience was great, the only problem we had was that we went on a warm summer day and they did not have the air on or fans so it was a bit sticky inside. That being said I will definitely be back againI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and vibrant ThaiFoodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Love the decoration and the lighting. All 3 of us arrived at different times, but even though the place was packed, we were still seated. The plates were beautifully arranged, the food was a step up of your regular Thai. Will have to go back for more.Special Features:
- I will returnPiggedOutDined on 6/10/2014....for more Zucchini Pad Thai. The mushroom spring rolls were just fried noodles mostly and would not order again, but the Pad Thai.... I also tasted the Green Curry Fried Rice, which was also great.
- Great food but slow drinkstheNYerVIPDined on 6/3/2014The food is amazing here and I highly recommend the green curry fried rice. But everytime I have come to Ngam, the drinks take forever to arrive even if it's just a Diet Coke. I have no clue why this happens!!Special Features:
- The following 254 reviews are from the Ngam reviews archive.
- Thai findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014The service was outstanding. Very popular. We were late and they went out of there way to make sure we had a spot. Busy from 6pm to 10:30 pm. Food was outstanding. They made sure the night was special for my best friend who had a birthday. Food was excellent and reasonable. TimSpecial Features:
- Friendly place. Good foodflyingpancakesDined on 5/28/2014Not your traditional thai restaurant. The chef has added innovative touches to the staples of thai food, such as the tom ka gai soup which was delicious.The crab salad special was also very good. Service is welcoming and friendly. We had a reservation at 7, right when happy hour was ending, but the waitress was kind enough to still include our drinks within the happy hour pricing. Sweet.Special Features:
- Inventive ThaiDakotashadowVIPDined on 5/21/2014A nice twist on Thai without being over-cute. Food can be spicy, so keep that in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were so excitedotfanDined on 5/18/2014We were so excited to eat at Ngam based on the reviews of others. Unfortunately my chicken was very dry and not as flavorful as I would have expected from a Thai restaurant. My companion loved the sauce and flavoring of the Green Curry Chicken but again the chicken was over cooked. It was late so that may have been a contributing factor. Two of the dishes we had originally wanted were sold out and that was a disappointment again possibly due to our late (9:00) reservation??Special Features:
- Best Thai Ever!Kanders68VIPDined on 5/18/2014I had read all the wonderful reviews about Ngam, but was not prepared for the the restaurant at all... Tucked away with a tiny sign, Ngam is so true to its Thai cuisine.... It is very small...cooks and servers rushing around. ... Tables are very close, and it is very, very busy. ...not fancy by any means... We almost thought we had the wrong place! That having been said... It was amazing! The food was incredible and every dish made to order ! Absolute perfect in every way ... I could eat here every night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongdocalabroDined on 5/18/2014We were sat right away despite about 10 people waiting to be seated whe. We arrived (yay reservations). Server kept us well informed about changes to some dishes the chef made that night. God was very tasty. Great prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almereau ProlliusEatforlifeDined on 5/18/2014I had a lovely dinner here. The setting was cozy and the service was spot on. The duckling, one of their signature dishes, was the best I ever had. Refreshingly original, will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.