99 3rd Ave.
New York, NY 10003Neighborhood:
ThaiPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.ngamnyc.com/
- Phone: 2127778424x
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Lunch: Monday - Friday: 12:00pm - 4:00pm;
Dinner: Monday - Thursday: 5pm - 11:00pm,
Dinner: Friday - Sunday: 5pm - 12:00am
Happy Hour: Monday - Friday: 4pm - 7pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Comfort Food, Thai
- Executive Chef: Hong Thaimee
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Chef's Table, Counter Seating, Delivery, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Catering: Catering options:
*Delivery for corporate events and meetings (premiers, receptions, etc)
*On-site catering for special events
*Chef Hong Thaimee personal on-site cooking
We love to serve you in and out of house. Please feel free to contact our Event Manager for more information on menu and price options:
Crystal Rogers | 212-777-8424
- Special Events: Fall & Winter Events-
Happy Hour, Thai pre fixe brunch
Visit: www.ngamnyc.com for our most recent Event Calendar
We love to host your special evenings here at NGAM. We have customized options for all events including meetings, receptions and celebrations. Please feel free to contact our Event Manager for reservations and more information on food and music options: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
A word from Ngam
Long ago chef Ngamprom "Hong" Thaimee left her modeling and television work in Thailand and made her way into the world of food, trainining under Thailand's most celebrated chef, M.L. Sirichalerm Savsti. Eventually she came to New York, where Thaimee cooked at Kittichai and Spice Market. She now goes solo at Ngam, which, aside from being her namesake, happens to be the Thai word for beautiful. The Union Square area spot serves updated spins on Thai comfort food, including a tom yum soup with crispy trout, Thai burger with papaya salad, pad Thai with grilled black tiger prawns, and duck larb salad. You'll also find a smaller lunch menu, plus a bar serving wine and beer.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerThai
Ngam reviews from OpenTable diners
88 reviews since May 1, 2014
- Ambiance3.7Noise LevelEnergetic
fit for foodies (54)neighborhood gem (52)good for groups (24)hot spot (21)great for lunch (13)romantic (12)late-night find (10)vibrant bar scene (5)special occasion (5)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/26/2014This is one of these restaurants where I don't understand why anyone gives it a good review, unless it was a total aberration and there was a dishwasher filling in for a cook on the night we were there. Utterly mediocre...like getting thai food in the suburbs. Very nice waiter but very long gaps in service..drinks took forever, ordering even longer. Food came out fairly fast.
- A new twistTony2meDined on 8/15/2014Thoroughly enjoyable gastronomic experience. Every dish, while simply prepared bursts with flavour. Excellent choices for both vegetarian and non vegetarian.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, medium serviceSSGGDined on 8/6/2014The food was great - different from any Thai food I've had. We had to look around for a server to help us take our order and pay the check and not a lot of description when we asked questions about the dishesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Creative MenujenecoyoteVIPDined on 7/24/2014Lots of vegan and paleo options. Very friendly and attentive staff. They have happy hour specials on the cocktail menu and the food is creative and ambitious with many variations of old favorites that I have not seen at any other thai restaurant.Special Features:
- Great foodNYCfoodiesDined on 7/22/2014This is one of the best Thai place I have been to, great place to bring a friend or a date.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely SpotkarareneeDined on 7/20/2014My boyfriend and I came here for dinner. He ordered the green curry with tofu, and I ordered the pad see ewe with beef. We also had a side of coconut rice --- best coconut rice I've ever had. Everything was excellent. Pretty decor, nice crowd, friendly service. Great date spot! We left very satisfied.Special Features:
- Overall goodFoodiefromupstateDined on 7/17/2014Great food, loved happy hour drinks and apps. Cozy but not cramped--For guests at least, heard at least three glasses break. My only real complaint is although I put a special note indicating a birthday, it was not acknowledged.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Long wait but yummyMelemellyVIPDined on 7/16/2014We waited for our food for almost an hour but our server was super apologetic and accommodating (she gave us a free round of drinks). Once we received the food it was quite good though!Special Features:
- love the burgerlolcatDined on 7/12/2014Lemongrass burger was phenomenal. Highly recommended.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/11/2014Very good for gluten and dairy free options. Good was good and plenty of variety on the menuSpecial Features:
- overhypedamysshaDined on 7/5/2014the food was mediocre, service pretty bad, good drinks though.
- Spacious & tasty!SmilingCandleDined on 7/3/2014Love the modern Thai food here. Too often it's too sweet or bland, this place gets it right. Had seasonal selections: watermelon sangria, mushroom spring rolls, amazing som tom with kiwi & strawberries, pad thai made with raw zucchini noodles instead. Hot weather appropriate and great offerings for vegans too!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DeliciousBkos2Dined on 7/1/2014This was my second time here and both were great. Came with a group of about 12 from work and had the prix fixe. Second time I brought my girlfriend for her birthday. It was a little warm in the restaurant since the cook the food behind a bar like counter. We were promptly seated as another couple or two were waiting. The service was good but not great as sometimes it was hard to find the waitress. I can't say enough about how much I enjoyed the meal. Everything came out great and was rather quick. The drinks were unique and tasty. Overall had a great time for a very reasonable price.
- Delicious...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/28/2014By far one of my favorite thai restaurants in NYC. The flavors of the dishes is amazing and with some unique pairings.Special Features:
- Interesting take on ThaiOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/26/2014I have no complaints about Ngam. We had the Thai Taco, the Very Rustic Chicken Soup, and the Ghang Kiaw Wan with chicken for an entree. It was all different and new to us, and everything tasted good. Our waitress was friendly and reasonably attentive. When I mentioned the Yelp check-in deal, she offered to deduct the price of my friend's mojito, even though the deal is technically only for beer or wine (I think). I would definitely come back here at some point.Special Features:
- 6/21/2014bmr2014Dined on 6/21/2014Great Food and service, but the restaurant itself was so loud that I had to almost shout in order to talk to the person next to me (most likely a function of eating there at 7 P.M. on a saturday night). I would definitely recommend trying this place out, just maybe not at a peak dining time.Special Features:
- Love this placeInfoodheaven21Dined on 6/17/2014Come here whenever I can and recommend it to everyone. No other pad Thai compares.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great for Thai with a Twist!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/12/2014I was looking for a new Thai spotted when I found Ngam, the menu features traditional Thai dishes with a unique twist (like Pad Thai made with zucchini noodles). They also had a GREAT cocktail menu with fresh ingredients like kiwi and thai basil, try the Spring Fling. I went there with my boyfriend and the dishes were a good side for splitting so we got to try a few different things. Overall the experience was great, the only problem we had was that we went on a warm summer day and they did not have the air on or fans so it was a bit sticky inside. That being said I will definitely be back againI would recommend this to a friend.
- Fun and vibrant ThaiFoodieVIPDined on 6/11/2014Love the decoration and the lighting. All 3 of us arrived at different times, but even though the place was packed, we were still seated. The plates were beautifully arranged, the food was a step up of your regular Thai. Will have to go back for more.Special Features:
- I will returnPiggedOutDined on 6/10/2014....for more Zucchini Pad Thai. The mushroom spring rolls were just fried noodles mostly and would not order again, but the Pad Thai.... I also tasted the Green Curry Fried Rice, which was also great.
- Great food but slow drinkstheNYerVIPDined on 6/3/2014The food is amazing here and I highly recommend the green curry fried rice. But everytime I have come to Ngam, the drinks take forever to arrive even if it's just a Diet Coke. I have no clue why this happens!!Special Features:
- Thai findOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014The service was outstanding. Very popular. We were late and they went out of there way to make sure we had a spot. Busy from 6pm to 10:30 pm. Food was outstanding. They made sure the night was special for my best friend who had a birthday. Food was excellent and reasonable. TimSpecial Features:
- Friendly place. Good foodflyingpancakesDined on 5/28/2014Not your traditional thai restaurant. The chef has added innovative touches to the staples of thai food, such as the tom ka gai soup which was delicious.The crab salad special was also very good. Service is welcoming and friendly. We had a reservation at 7, right when happy hour was ending, but the waitress was kind enough to still include our drinks within the happy hour pricing. Sweet.Special Features:
- Inventive ThaiDakotashadowVIPDined on 5/21/2014A nice twist on Thai without being over-cute. Food can be spicy, so keep that in mind.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- We were so excitedotfanDined on 5/18/2014We were so excited to eat at Ngam based on the reviews of others. Unfortunately my chicken was very dry and not as flavorful as I would have expected from a Thai restaurant. My companion loved the sauce and flavoring of the Green Curry Chicken but again the chicken was over cooked. It was late so that may have been a contributing factor. Two of the dishes we had originally wanted were sold out and that was a disappointment again possibly due to our late (9:00) reservation??Special Features:
- Best Thai Ever!Kanders68Dined on 5/18/2014I had read all the wonderful reviews about Ngam, but was not prepared for the the restaurant at all... Tucked away with a tiny sign, Ngam is so true to its Thai cuisine.... It is very small...cooks and servers rushing around. ... Tables are very close, and it is very, very busy. ...not fancy by any means... We almost thought we had the wrong place! That having been said... It was amazing! The food was incredible and every dish made to order ! Absolute perfect in every way ... I could eat here every night!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Can't go wrongdocalabroDined on 5/18/2014We were sat right away despite about 10 people waiting to be seated whe. We arrived (yay reservations). Server kept us well informed about changes to some dishes the chef made that night. God was very tasty. Great prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Almereau ProlliusEatforlifeDined on 5/18/2014I had a lovely dinner here. The setting was cozy and the service was spot on. The duckling, one of their signature dishes, was the best I ever had. Refreshingly original, will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AMAZINGlive2eatDined on 5/17/2014Believe me when I say that you can not go wrong with your choice of food here, but PLEASE try the Chiang Mai Fries!!!!!! They are INCREDIBLE!!!! Love this place. Can never go too often.Special Features:
- Wonderful flavorsrossDined on 5/8/2014Wonderful flavors. Traditional pad thai and green curry were excellent. Papaya salad made a great starter--just the right amount of heat and very unusual with strawberries and kiwi. Like most popular Manhattan spots, people were packed in pretty tightly and the noise level was pretty high but that's just part of the experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Probably worse Thai I have eatenUsascouserVIPDined on 5/4/2014Unfortunate, read good reviews online but my experience was very bad. We ordered four dishes and all four were bad to horrible. The soft shell crab soup came out lukewarm (and that is being generous), the kao plad noodle dish was way too spicy for a normal diner (note, I can eat very spicy food, an average vindaloo no problem), the sticky rice had some plastic piece imbedded in it which was "nice" to chew on, the fish dish was so over fried as to render an year meat on it inedible. Server tried to redeem by comping the soup and rice but the damage was done, will never go back...
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 5/3/2014Came here because a website claimed this to be a good brunch spot. But was greatly underwhelmed. (1) The $24 brunch is suppose to include a main AND a side and a drink. They changed it to just a main and drink. NOT worth it. (2) Besides the appetizer with calamari, shrimp, etc, the mains just weren't that good. (3) Host was SUPER slow. Took over 15 min to even get a check. Never going back again.
- The following 243 reviews are from the Ngam reviews archive.
- The best!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 4/30/2014One of my favorite places in the city. My go to to bring visiting friends. Everything I have had has been amazing. Everytime. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Gem in NY!OpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 4/29/2014Ngam was our first restaurant experience in NYC for our honeymoon. It really set the bar high for the rest of the culinary portion of the trip. When we arrived, we were greeted by “Hong” the owner. She is such a sweet woman with a strong and delightful presence. We loved all of the dishes. Recommend: chiang mai fries, surf and turf platter for 2, soft shell crab, lamb massaman curry, and authentic pad thai! The flavors were rich and complemented each other well without any being overpowering. The wait staff was very attentive and friendly. If you’re in NY, try it out!Special Features:
- DisappointingAnkypankyDined on 4/27/2014Came here for brunch on Sunday and did the brunch special (unlimited mimosas and 1 entree). Mimosas sucked - couldn't taste the champagne at all. And even though it was supposed to be a pomegranate chilli mimosa, it tasted exactly like Ocean Spray Cranberry juice. Ordered the papaya pad Thai with tofu. It was kind of bland. Nothing like the Papaya salad at Zabb e Lee on 2nd ave. Overall, the place itself is cool and inviting but the food and drinks are not noteworthy.Special Features:
- Best Pad Thai I've ever had.jmztDined on 4/25/2014Dined at Ngam on 4/25/14. The "Old School Pad Thai" was the best I've ever had. My fiance had the Drunken Noodles, which he enjoyed quite a bit as well. The service was outstanding. Slightly noisier that I would have liked but didn't detract from dinner. The decor is awesome and vibrant.Special Features:
- GoodSaltLoverDined on 4/22/2014My friend and I decided to try Ngam before catching a movie. We made reservations for Tuesday but arrived about 10 minutes early and they were able to accommodate us. It was not very crowded. It is an open kitchen so right as you walk in, the smell comes right at you. We are a bit picky about this as we do not like leaving a restaurant with our clothes smelling. The food was good, not superb. My friend had the pad thai and I had the sea bass. We both thought our dishes could use a little less salt. But overall, it was a good meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great serviceBREEZYDined on 4/15/2014Friendly cool place have dinner bunch and lunch.. Had good time.. Friendly cool place have dinner bunch and lunch.. Had good time Friendly cool place have dinner bunch and lunch.. Had good time Friendly cool place have dinner bunch and lunch.. Had good timeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJeniflyerDined on 4/6/2014I am Thai myself and I have to say the fusion food they have to offer is awesome and delicious! However, the service received from staff was not impressive. They do not pay enough attention to customer's need. My husband had to raise his hand in the air for some minutes to get their attention.Special Features:
- YumOutBabyNYCDined on 4/5/2014The squid was amazing. And the sauces were wonderfully spicy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.