Montreal, QC H3G2B6Neighborhood:
Modern EuropeanPrice: CAN$30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.lenewtown.com/
- Phone: 5142846555x
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Wednesday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm, Friday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm, Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Modern European, Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service
- Executive Chef:
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Dancing, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Smoking Area (patio only), Wine
- Private Party Facilities: Our third floor boasts city-wide views all year round.
During the summer we have a capacity for as many at 100 diners, in the colder months we can accomodate 50 diners.
- Entertainment: D.J. at the lounge level on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.
A word from Newtown
Situated in the heart of Montreal's Crescent Street, Le Newtown welcomes you. Composed of three floors, a lounge, a restaurant, and a beautiful terrace, Le Newtown's contemporary decor provides a sophisticated and relaxed atmosphere. In the kitchen, our chef's exciting culinary imagination brings you modern, creative cuisine. Both elements will take you to places you haven’t been before. For group reservations please contact the event coordinator at 514-564-7821.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Newtown reviews from OpenTable diners
15 reviews since April 30, 2014
- Ambiance3.1Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (4)special occasion (4)fit for foodies (2)neighborhood gem (2)vibrant bar scene (2)scenic view (2)late-night find (1)notable wine list (1)great for outdoor dining (1)romantic (1)great for lunch (1)Show More
- Terrible service, never againeyeslikethesummerDined on 8/16/2014You may be tempted to book your group dinner here because they're one of the few that offer online booking but please don't make the same mistake we did. The service was horrendous. They pray on large groups as a chance to deliver inferior service and food. We were not offered drink or food menus until asked. Took an hour for us to get a basket of bread and a bottle of watered-down sangria. Our waiter also dropped a bottle of wine on the floor and then proceeded to serve it to us. I ordered the pasta of the day with shrimp and when no shrimp were on the plate, I was accused of eating them. This place was a service disaster and took a good shot at ruining what was supposed to be a very special night. Do yourself a favour and go elsewhere.
- superb fine diningjazmiraDined on 7/19/2014Over all it was great from food to service to the nice ambience of the restaurant.. i celebrated my birthday there and we all had fun.. :)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pretty ordinary...!isa29Dined on 7/19/2014I asked for a Sangria... Was asked if I wanted white, red or rosé? Answered RED!!!! Got white... sent it back. Ordered pasta with garlic sauce, cherry tomatoes and parmigiano... Got fettucini in tomato sauce, 2-3 pieces of cherry tomatoes and did not see or taste parmegiano cheese! Hubby got a burger... Undercooked, raw in the middle, had to send it back to the kitchen! But the calamari were amazing! So,... as for the food experience, not a place we'll recommand nor will we go back!!!!!!
- Stay away from the foodjenfoodie514Dined on 7/11/2014I understand why no one eats there. Good in the summer thanks to the great terrace. Music is good. Stick to drinks (bottles drink) as their kitchen is clueless and ingredients are low quality and mix mayo into every single sauce. How can my sandwich be made with the same sauce that my fried calamari comes with?!? Above that, cheap mayonnaise is what they use a a base for their "home made" sauce. BUT, the service and music were great!!! We recovered at Maison Boulud. Thank God. So yes, a 15$ sandwich can be overpriced if it's worse than a food court dead mall sandwich. That is all.
- ImpressedLPN21Dined on 6/27/2014The food was excellent. White wine was very nicely chilled. The table we were at had a bit too much sun glaring at us but overall I was quite impressed. Will be going back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/14/2014The table that I was seated at was to large in width. We couldn't even carry on a proper conversation. The food was good. The waitress misunderstood a few of the orders and forgot to bring one dinner entirely. Someone else had to order his beer twice before he received one. I wouldn't recommend Newtown simply because the service was not good. Other than that, beautiful restaurant and good food.Special Features:
- Slow Slow ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/9/2014There was a large party on another floor so service was exceptionally slow. It took about 35 minutes to get our food after we finally ordered. I had a burger (which was slightly over cooked), unknown to me it comes with zero side dishes. Just the burger. Once my burger arrived, I ordered a side of fries which still hadn't come out by the time I was done my burger. Our server couldn't be found to cancel the fries order (since we were done eating and finished our wine). Although to be fair, the service staff was accommodating and apologetic when I did eventually cancel the fries and there was no issue over the charge on our bill. I would recommend checking to see if there are large private parties on the night you want to make your RSVP.Special Features:
- Great location with buzzing vibeHowiec45Dined on 6/6/2014We came for the F1 and had diner on the Friday nite. The food was lovely, we had the seafood set menus basket. The white wine was not chilled tho which was poor form really. Went upstairs to the rooftop bar and the place was jumping if that is what you want. Did not really like the DJ music but it's all down to taste. Went to the bar on the ground floor and really enjoyed it there. Great bar staff and quick and attentive.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/11/2014Don't go on Sunday The good kitchen is closed. Prior meal upstairs is great Sunday it's just a bar with some ok foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 126 reviews are from the Newtown reviews archive.
- Pas mauvaisJgiiDined on 3/29/2014Je pense que le serveur n'a pas pris notre groupe au serieux car nous étions dans la vingtaine. On ne nous a pas fait goûter le vin, le serveur mettait de la pression pour commander, les tables n'étaient débarassées que plusieurs moments après avoir fini nos entrées et nos repas principaux. Les commandes semblaient mélangées. Le vin n'était pas toujours versé dans le même verre (vin versé dans un verre non destiné au vin). La nourriture était excellente, c'est plutôt le service qui nous a décu surtout que d'habitude nous ne sommes vraiment pas des clients difficiles mais la il y avait trop d'erreur. J'espère que ce n'est pas toujours comme ca puisque c'était ma première fois.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newtown.OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 3/27/2014Food wasnt great and waitress kept on spilling stuff but it wasnt a terrible evening. Not sure i would go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was excellent butOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/7/2014The food was excellent but it was almost impossible to get our servers attention for refills and to order.Special Features:
- Awesome service! Upscale ambiance!SimonTremblayDined on 2/21/2014Great location, great modern restaurant with just the right level of light, music and noise. Menu options are limited but you'll find something to please everyone. Prices are very competitive for the quality. Service was above and beyond expectation. Good job Newtown team!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice place for a special occassionjbouch31Dined on 2/14/2014We went here for Valentine's Day supper and were very pleased with the food, service and ambiance. The prices were very reasonable for the quality.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great pre-valentine dinnetEHPHDined on 2/13/2014The food is always great and this time was no different. The service was different this time though, it used to be that your server was good and friendly, our was extremely attentive, courteous and humble. Loved everything about our night.Special Features:
- Amazing service and table d'hoteYogaGirlDined on 2/8/2014We were a group of 16 ladies who were in town for a fitness conference. Needless to say that we were tired, and hungry! The choices from the CHOP menu were awesome. Some of us had the cod which was melting in our mouths, and others had the veal which by some facial expressions were priceless. The attention that we received from our main server was special. The others that helped were truly courteous and discreet. We were fortunate to arrive on time and have a quiet time in the restaurant before it became busy with diners that start their evening later. The only downfall is that we all found the wine and drinks price quite high.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good experience !Cambita91Dined on 1/25/2014We reserved like last minute, they booked us anyways. We got there 5:30 sharp and they were changing the set up so we had to wait. We waited about 10 to 15 minutes, our table was next to the window so we had the crescent view. Never book a table at 5:30 on a Saturday night, we were the only customers. So the service was excellent ! We ordered cocktails, followed by our main dish, in between we had fresh bread and butter. 10 minutes later we were eating ravioli, burger and the short rib, the portions were Ok. My friend had like 6 raviolis in her plate, i had 3 asparagus with mashed potatoes and an average piece of rib, the burger was the only enormous piece. Dessert was Delicious ! Total of the bill for 3 around 145$ .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good ambianceDan2014Dined on 1/11/2014Nice place and good service. On Crescent street, the place is "branché" and friendly... I will come back for sure!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing night!OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/28/2013Went to Newtown for a b-day celebration. I had the filet de boeuf (cooked to perfection) and my girlfriend had the orzotto with scallops (she loved hers). The service was attentive and friendly and the room was filled with beautiful people. After dinner we went down to the first floor where the music was louder. The bartender was generous and knowledgeable. We all had a great time. Only bummer of the night was finding parking. We'll go back for sure!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worst place everAgencesPLDined on 12/21/2013The Table of the night had not enough choices to choice from. One pasta, one fish and 3 dishes of red meat (Rib, tenderloin, cheap steak cut) My wife had the pasta ( not bad) I had the cheap steak served in with a bowl of onion ring no green stuff ( The kind of steak you have at Schwartz at least they have fries). I had to return my thin steak because it was served on a cold plate (they didn't even change the onion rings). I'm a sale rep and I'm dining out quiet often in several restaurants all over Quebec and the Ottawa region.Special Features:
- Too quietOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/11/2013Although the food and the service were very good, the ambience that evening lacked any personality. Sadly, we were the only ones in the restaurant until close to 20:00, when eventually two other parties showed up. Will, however, go back again to give it one more chance, as food, service, wine list and location are good!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Everything was good and theLesluluDined on 11/16/2013Everything was good and the service was very good. Raphael was very politeSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Had a great evening !!!LiviaDined on 11/15/2013Food was excellent, service was great. The only down was that we wanted to substitute mashed potatoes instead of onion rings, and they wouldn't do it, even though they were serving it for another dish... If the restaurant was packed I would have understood, but there were 3 tables being served, they could have made some mashed potatoes. However, I don't think I've ever had such a perfectly prepared fillet mignon ever! It was perfect! The entire dish was divine!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The service started out good.ninonDined on 11/7/2013The service started out good. They unfortunately forgot our appetizers, so we had to wait an extra 20 min. But the staff was nice and when the noticed the mistake they brought us free extra wine. nice touch. The soup was good, so was the rizzotto, meat was okay and so was desert. You can hear the music from the downstairs bar, wich is not too loud and gives a lively ambiance. It took for ever to get our bill. Overall okay, but would not recommend it to foodies, more for a guy or girls night out if you are in the area. We where there during the Montréal a Table event.Special Features:
- deuxieme visiteisa1390VIPDined on 11/2/2013j'y suis allée dans le cadre de montreal a table c'était excellent et tres peu dispendieux
- Will come back for sureKassandraDined on 11/2/2013The service was amazing. Great ambiance and good food. Had the palette de veau with orzo. Was really good. I def recommand.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SatisfiedKayCassDined on 10/30/2013The menu was interesting and I have hesitated between 4 meals... I sure wanna go back and try other plates. I had the short-rib and the cheese cake, it was good, but I wasn't crazy about it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Hit or missamyrockVIPDined on 10/28/2013The salmon tartar was great, and my friend's sirloin was well done, to his liking. My green orzotto thing was not good at all, but the 3 grilled scallops and tomatoes on top were better prepared and i enjoyed that. The drinks were not prepared with attention, and the service was hit or miss. We went on a Monday night, so while it was relatively empty, the music was extremely loud. Those who were there seemed to be enjoying themselves however.Special Features:
- Pre-concert spot, great for lunchesgreekchickDined on 10/18/2013Friendly staff, very helpful, nice variety of selections at lunch and dinner. The two courses for $20 is a great deal at lunch. Dinner fare in lower lounge perfect for pre-concert or night out. We were served quickly and were able to get to our concert in plenty of time.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- loved it!YSLKDined on 10/8/2013i had a birthday party at new town and it was great. food was awesome and the wine suggestions were good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disapointingLarryDined on 9/18/2013I felt I was disturbing the staff. When I asked for some pepper; the pepper shaken "landed" on the table while the waiter kept talking with another employee.
- Pretty good spotMattDined on 9/7/2013Newtown has a great location and lots of space. I booked a table for ten for a bachelor party dinner. The food was pretty good (the burger week special was raved about by most at the table) and the atmosphere on the first floor was spectacular. My only critique is that when we arrived, our table for 10 was originally on the second floor that was literally empty except for a couple in the corner. Had we sat there, the atmosphere would have been dead. However, our request to move to the more upbeat first floor was accommodated and the meal was quite enjoyable.Special Features:
- Disappointing meal at NewtownManonDined on 7/31/2013The food was very average. The description of the chef's suggestion was not at all what we got (the waiter said it was pulled pork, and we got a pork chop...). The restaurant was totally empty... The only positive thing: we had asked for a table on the terrace, not knowing that there was not really a terrace in the restaurant section, but the waiter arranged a little "private" terrace on a balcony. This was really a nice gesture, and we did appreciate it.
- Bad dinnerMeandfriendsDined on 7/26/2013Malheureusement, le menu est peu varié et peu captivant. Nous avons commandé une paella, plat du jour. C'était tellement piquant qu'on ne goûtait pas les fruits de mer... Le resto était pratiquement vide malgré un vendredi soir. Heureusement, la serveuse était très compétente dans la situation.Special Features:
- Terrace was spectacular!NonnaDined on 7/20/2013We only had drinks on the Terrace (no food) and the drinks were sensational, great atmosphere and super service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AmazingOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/19/2013The food was great. Nice crowd, service was attentive. Good to see that Jacque Villeneuve is not the owner anymore. Will come back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Big disappointmentOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 7/13/2013Came for drinks on a saturday night and deaply regret it. Arrived and the the table wasn!t clean and no one even bothered to clean it. We didn't even get glasses of water. Drinks were fine but after all they were wine so they came straight out of the bottle so nothing to do with Newtown. The fries were terrible and the cheese platter wasn't impressive. It is a nice location but a big disappointment on the culinary and service side.
- Great staff, music and drinksChristinaPVIPDined on 7/12/2013A great spot for drinks with friends or date. The music is good, the staff is friendly, the drinks are delicious.Special Features:
- My favourite downtown spotOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/5/2013Beautiful terrace, delicious food and great cocktail selection. I come at least twice a week! Different floors, different ambiances, and they have a different promotion every day! Only downer is that not all the waitress speak perfect french...But hope this will get better in the future!Special Features:
- First and last timeStefffgDined on 6/18/2013Service was awful (forgot cutlery, had to grab napkins myself, not attentive) and food average. Moreover, pretty dead atmosphere so it won't make a difference if you never try it. It was recommended by friends but after I shared my experience, they confirmed it USED to be a hot spot but not anymore.