Newport Grill - OP
5501 W. 135th St
Overland Park, KS 66223Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Newport Grill - OP
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newportgrillkc.com/
- Phone: 9132390807x
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday 11am - 11pm
Friday/Saturday 11am - 12 midnight
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for all of your catering needs.
A word from Newport Grill - OP
Newport Grill is a unique restaurant concept created by Paul Khoury, co-founder of PB&J. With the creative hand of Executive Chef/Owner Aaron Whitcomb, the Newport Grill "experience" is both sophisticated and fun. Upon entering, you immediately notice that Newport Grill is an ocean-side oasis in the heart of the plains. Specializing in fresh seafood, shipped fresh six days a week, Newport Grill will excite your appetite with everything from the best seafood, steak, chicken and pork. Every selection is prepared from scratch by our highly-skilled chef and our culinary team with the freshest, natural products bought locally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
- Diners' Choice WinnerAmerican
Newport Grill - OP - Best Restaurants in Overland Park ›
Newport Grill - OP reviews from OpenTable diners
146 reviews since May 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (68)great for outdoor dining (62)fit for foodies (58)neighborhood gem (44)notable wine list (38)good for groups (30)romantic (28)hot spot (26)great for lunch (22)vibrant bar scene (15)great for brunch (11)scenic view (6)kid-friendly (6)late-night find (4)Show More
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The food and service was fantasic. We did have one meal come out a little cool but it will not stop us from coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey!neatscDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful décor but very pricey with very small portions. Three shrimp on a shrimp cocktail for $16?? Three scallops on an entrée costing $30. Wanted to love it but food was just ok.
- Excellent!!!JfitzDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I chose Newport Grill for date night last week and had a fantastic experience! The atmosphere was stunning, the food and service were top notch. We are already planning our return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Seafood RestaurantMikeVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a great time at the Newport Grill on Saturday. The wait staff was fantastic and the food was too match. My wife had wonderful scallops that although not my favorite were cooked exactly right and had no sand. They were silky and smooth. I had the lobster souffle that had a wonderful flaky crust. I am not sure the lobster that was put in the souffle was actually from Maine, but it was very good. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling rushedJohnDined on 9/8/2014The food was terrific, but our entrees were delivered just well before I had finished my salad (my wife had almost finished her soup). They took it back and gave me another fresh one later, but this never should have happened in the first place.Special Features:
- Just, wowBartendersEatTooDined on 9/1/2014My boyfriend and I are both in the service industry, and FINALLY had a night off together. I've heard lots of talk, so I thought it'd be perfect for an impromptu date night. We walked in wearing jeans and tshirts, having spent the day running around, yet we were warmly welcomed by several staff members. Our server was Chip. Great guy. He clearly new the menu, along with having personally tried the menu items. (We prefer honest opinions on food, not robotic). He gave great recommendations, and answered all questions. The verdict- Likes/loves: Complimentary bottled water The steak tartar is to DIE for Great wedge, awesome tomato bisque Ahi tuna melts in your mouth Scallops are KILLER Butter cake. DO IT dislikes: *crickets*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Incredible experience!RedQueenVIPDined on 9/1/2014We dined at Newport Grill on Labor Day - several of our friends had raved about the food and we wanted to see if the fuss was justified. It was. Our server was extremely well trained and knowledgeable about the menu, and made several suggestions for us. He told us how their seafood was flown in daily from the coasts, and that the menu changes daily. My husband had the sea bass and I had the steak. We both had the clam chowder, which was probably the best I've ever had. The texture was like silk, and the flavor was perfect. Both entrees were also incredible-cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. I'm a foodie, and it is rare that I give a restaurant 5 stars, but this place really deserved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014The food was good and our server entertaining, but there's just nothing special about the place. Décor somehow combines modern with old-fashioned. Maybe we just hit an off night where they didn't have a big crowd...
- Outstanding Restaurant!!GailDined on 8/30/2014The food at this restaurant is exceptional! Please try the fresh George Banks Scallops and choose sides of Brûlée Potatoes and Squash. Fabulous!! It was so nice to have Chef Pauly come out introduce himself and check on our experience! The atmosphere was perfect for date night. We had a great waiter Bex who ensured thorough explanations of the food and wine and topped off our experience with his selection of a three sampled dessert that was magnificent!! No drink was missed, just a splendid experience! We will definitely visit again and again!! Thank You!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!!!OuiLuvGourmetDined on 8/29/2014Finally a meal we felt was worth the cost! The food was absolutely delicious and the clam chowder was the best we have had anywhere. The same for the pomme frites and mushrooms with the Bistro Steak selection, which was cooked perfectly for both of us. Dessert was unique, beautiful and delectable. We thoroughly enjoyed the decor, accessories, and quiet atmosphere, hard to find these days, and even the excellent, very friendly staff kept activity noise minimal. We were surprised that so many of the staff stopped at our table to wish us a happy 33rd anniversery, even those not serving us. Very nice touch! We are convinced that this is a destination place for us and will tell everyone about it. Super attention to details. 5 STARS!!!Special Features:
- Outdoor & MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014We sat out doors and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Then the band started to play and it only got better. We were essentially finished, and just listening to a great band, but never rushed or encouraged to give up the table. Fantastic evening, with excellent wine, great food and music.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Immensely!OKCFOODIEDined on 8/27/2014We celebrated our daughters promotion and it was the perfect place. Upscale atmosphere. great wine list and excellent food! Ambiance was perfect for a pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWalnutDined on 8/27/2014The food was excellent with very good selections. The service was excellent. The only distraction was the relatively high noise level.Special Features:
- Great new spotgailfrbVIPDined on 8/24/2014Newport Grill/Paradise Diner in PrairieFire in Overland Park is great... went there when it first opened, and most of the "chinks" have been resolved. Appetizers/light plates are perfect for a lighter meal/small portion. Apple crisp dessert, when shared, is worth the calories, BIG TIME! Bar service superb... will be going back soon.Special Features:
- We Loved This Place!!MLBDinerDined on 8/24/2014My husband wanted to try Newport Grill for his birthday dinner and we loved it so much, I requested it for my birthday dinner! The service was excellent. The atmosphere was lovely. It was comfortable but definitely upscale. The food was fabulous! Everything was cooked perfectly and the presentation was wonderful. We loved the bread that was served, it was a warm, earthy whole grain bread that was so flavorful. On our first visit, I had the Chilean Sea Bass -- excellent. On my second visit I had the Black and Blue Filet. I ordered it medium and it was cooked perfectly! We love the Newport Grill and will definitely return for special occasions.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Serviceaceman9Dined on 8/24/2014Our waiter - Walt - was outstanding. And the Host was very nice as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food - good serviceLLEEDined on 8/23/2014Loved this restaurant. Good food, good service, I ask for little beyond that and sometimes it's hard to find. Go here!Special Features:
- RookieDined on 8/22/2014Food was great. Service was outstanding. Cost was a bit high.I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointingAnnaVIPDined on 8/22/2014The restaurant is very pretty and the service was friendly. The noise level was distracting and my friend and I found it hard to talk and hear one another. The food was very disappointing, and the prices were high. The quality of the food did not match the prices.
- You'll love this restaurant!CathyoDined on 8/19/2014This restuarant has everything! Great service, creative and tasty food, decor, etc. It is great for a special occasion or a Tuesday night dinner. Try it; you'll like it.
- New place to goSteveinkcDined on 8/16/2014This is a great place and comes to south Kansas City! Very upscale promising fresh fish served in first class atmosphere and it does.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Seafood In Kansas CityjusteatoutDined on 8/16/2014Don't miss this wonderful food! Great service and menu. Best fish I've had since Alaska!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great service and amazing foodABDJDined on 8/16/2014The place is great looking, the staff is very knowledgeable, and the food was amazing. What more could you ask for??Special Features:
- Dinner with teensDiningoutDined on 8/15/2014My husband and I took our two teenage daughters out to dinner. Food was delicious and beautifully served. My non fish eater even enjoyed the Wahu!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food and service!JasonDined on 8/15/2014We had a great meal on the patio on a recent Friday night. Very comprehensive seafood menu and knowledgeable staff not pushing the most expensive entrees. We all had fabulous and FRESH pieces of fish at a reasonable price with two sides included. We will definitely be back!Special Features:
- Great new experiencerckc005Dined on 8/15/2014Everything about the dining experience is done with perfection from the great service to the culinary seafood pleasures!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/14/2014Our waiter was great. Very informative. However, the left a lot to be desired. Of 5 orders - 3 mediocre fish tacos - 1 fishy crab cake sandwich - 1 very dry turkey Reuben. Fries were amazing. Would have to think about returning.Special Features:
- GREAT PLACE FOR A SPECIAL DINNERfn2etoutDined on 8/13/2014This is a great place. It's not a place that you just stop by to have a quick bite to eat, it's an occasion place. For the two of us, each having a glass of wine, 1 salad, and 2 entrees it would have been over $100.00. We did have a promo discount so it was less. We will try it again, but go for lunch or happy hour. The service was outstanding, and the food was great.Special Features:
- good food; good servicebizdinerDined on 8/5/2014still working out kinks in kitchen but food was very fresh, tasty and well presented. server was very happy to be there and knew the menu well. proactive in getting refills, also saw that some sides did not come; quickly got on that and also compped us an extra side. beer and wine selection is adequateSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice PatioWinendineVIPDined on 8/2/2014We have enjoyed the Thursday night music on the, as well as the menu. Chef presented the lobster soufflé at the table. Seasoned staff make up for the new ones that are learning. Overall a new favorite!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CatbackerVIPDined on 8/1/2014We had a good meal. Have been to the one in Wichita before and had high expectations. Service was outstanding. I thought the food was a little over priced for the size of the portions. Nice wine and cocktail list.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Worth the pricelionheartkcVIPDined on 7/30/2014The quality of food and service we found at Newport Grill was second to none that we have received in South Johnson County. Every single item was fresh and well seasoned, the portions were ample, and it was obvious that the chef put his heart and soul into each dish. The service was also top notch. The number of waiters for the room was twice what I have come to expect from most restaurants, and our waiter was exceptionally polite and helpful. We were celebrating a birthday and were also very impressed with how that was handled.Special Features:
- Joe Wilcox is back !!!!Love2serveDined on 7/26/2014Met some friends in bar for drinks and had a great time. Beautiful restaurant, very busy! Great to see Joe Wilcox back in KC, he's a true legend in the restaurant world and a master of running a great restaurant. Welcome back Joe, you've been missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Scallops and kale saladFoodTechVIPDined on 7/26/2014Best waiter ever. Great seafood. I had the Chefs collection Scallops w a Kale Salad ala carte. The only negative was our table was close to a main aisle. Then two tables were put together for a party of 8. Too close. Would go back. Free Valet Parking available. Don't be in a hurry to get your car back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- finally fresh fishbirthdayDined on 7/25/2014Fresh fish flown in every night. Waiters are great and wine list is reasonableSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Thursday NightOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 7/24/2014Went on a Thursday because that is what the schedule allowed. Food and service was excellent. The band, Atlantic Express, was awesome. Hung around on the sidewalk for an hour. We are looking forward to a repeat!Special Features:
- Class reunion at the NewportJoJoDined on 7/21/2014Met with three high school friends for lunch and enjoyed everything we tasted. The server was very competent and friendly, responding to several unusual requests without blinking an eye. It was a very enjoyable venue.Special Features:
- great value for fresh fishlovefreshfish1Dined on 7/19/2014Wonderful evening outside on the patio with great service and food was excellent! All four of us had different entries/apps and each one loved what they ordered. I also thought the price was a good value for such a nice, upscale restaurant!Special Features:
- Newport GrillElizabethDined on 7/19/2014The food was excellent. Tables too close. We were next to a large party and it was very noisy. The server was ok. Very slow.Special Features:
- Bigt123Dined on 7/16/2014It's a great new place in a brand new development. The owners carry on the tradition they established in their other "gems". Service was very good and the food was delicious...we'll be back often.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.