Newport Grill - OP
5501 W. 135th St
Overland Park, KS 66223Neighborhood:
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
Newport Grill - OP
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newportgrillkc.com/
- Phone: (913) 239-0807
- Hours of Operation:
Sunday to Thursday 11am - 11pm
Friday/Saturday 11am - 12 midnight
Sunday Brunch: 10:00am - 2:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: Please contact the restaurant directly for all of your catering needs.
A word from Newport Grill - OP
Newport Grill is a unique restaurant concept created by Paul Khoury, co-founder of PB&J. With the creative hand of Executive Chef/Owner Aaron Whitcomb, the Newport Grill "experience" is both sophisticated and fun. Upon entering, you immediately notice that Newport Grill is an ocean-side oasis in the heart of the plains. Specializing in fresh seafood, shipped fresh six days a week, Newport Grill will excite your appetite with everything from the best seafood, steak, chicken and pork. Every selection is prepared from scratch by our highly-skilled chef and our culinary team with the freshest, natural products bought locally.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerNotable Wine List
- Diners' Choice WinnerOutdoor Dining
Newport Grill - OP - Best Restaurants in Overland Park ›
Newport Grill - OP reviews from OpenTable diners
119 reviews since July 26, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (56)fit for foodies (53)great for outdoor dining (38)neighborhood gem (37)notable wine list (31)good for groups (24)romantic (22)hot spot (20)great for lunch (18)vibrant bar scene (13)great for brunch (12)late-night find (7)kid-friendly (5)scenic view (3)Show More
- First-Time Lunch at Newport GrillOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 11/20/2014This was my first time eating at Newport Grille & will definitely return again. Very stylish decor - new & clean. Comfortable seating. Service was extremely friendly & attentive to our needs. I had the fish tacos which were delicious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MattVIPDined on 11/18/2014Brandon gave us great service and advice on the wine, the dishes and dessert. A fantastic evening. Thanks Brandon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/15/2014food was excellent......our server, Tyler, was the best.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant Eating2beachbumsDined on 11/15/2014We visited this restaurant because of a newspaper review, therefore we had already made our entree choices. We were very much impressed with the varieties of oysters and they made deciding on a starter easy. Would like to go back for their version of crab cakes and rumaki . Along with our scallops and lobster souffle, we tried the brule potatoes...WOW. Souffle was very good, unusual and served by the chef. Unfortunately the little claws in the sauce were tough so I will choose one of the numerous fish offerings next time. Since we were celebrating a birthday, the chef brought out a lovely dessert sampling. Service was prompt, food excellent, and the manager stopped by for a chat about mutual friends from PLAZA III. A lovely experience until we went to retrieve our car from valet parking. We joined several others at the fire pit while they hunted for a ladies car. Would like to go on Sunday for brunch and Happy hour to sample more of their offerings.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time but will b backsimpledinerVIPDined on 11/14/2014Great menu and extensive cocktail and drink selection.. I had the " whole crispy red snapper". Fabulous. Wife had shrimp cocktail and salmon. Fresh fresh fresh Great date night place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overland Park Gemfood4thoughtDined on 11/14/2014Great space, outstanding food, and Fabulous Service. Our server,Fulton, was absolutely the BEST!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First TripScudDined on 11/8/2014Our first time eating at the Newport Grill and we thoroughly enjoyed it. Bartenders and waiter were fun and knowledgable (although small issue in counting number of oysters). Look forward to returning.Special Features:
- DeliciousTastyDined on 11/8/2014excellent service, great menu that changes daily,yummy cocktails, and delicious desserts! We will be back!Special Features:
- SummarymeemerDined on 11/3/2014We had excellent food that the server helped us select. At $50 per plate, we can only afford to dine there on special occasions.Special Features:
- RICKDined on 10/31/2014Yes our food servers were excellent Colton and we have had Jeff K and they're both very very good enjoyed it very much hope come back many timesSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- belownonickname2Dined on 10/27/2014I am not sure we will return. For the price and for what is served, doesn't equal. I had the scallops with peas and potatoes. The peas were nothing special. Probably right out of the frozen Birdseye bag. The three scallops were good but I could have done that at home. The pototes were nothing speical. There was nothing special about the presentation either. Again. for the price, it wasn't worth it. However, the waiter was worth it. He was great. I don't mind spending money for a great meal but this was not worth it.Special Features:
- I love this placegreattasteDined on 10/22/2014On Sundays they have a brunch buffet that is so great. Many selections to choose from and lots of seafood. We also went to a wine tasting. We tasted five wines and delicious appetizers were served. The wait staff is always super nice and very attentive. We will keep coming back.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 10/18/2014Our server, Bex, was awesome. He was attentive, helpful and very knowledgable. Great night overall.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Happy Hourhootowl5Dined on 10/16/2014Try to get there early if you are having dinner so you can take advantage of the great drink and appetizer specials they have until 6 p.m. However, be aware that the Happy Hour menu says it ends at 5:30 p.m but the website says 6 p.m. I had the scallops with polenta and snap peas. My husband had the filet topped with a crab mean sauce. Both were delicious. Since we were there celebrating our anniversary we also got a free desert trio. Our server was excellent!Special Features:
- 2nd and last tryLovegoodfoodVIPDined on 10/10/2014Very nice welcome and very nice service. Terrible food. We've tried it twice. Tired looking salad and poorly prepared fish.Special Features:
- 360 Degrees of AwesomeadamjcastroDined on 9/30/2014Took some clients and sat on the patio on a beautiful night. Our server, Brandon, was knowledgeable and incredibly hospitable. We ordered a bunch of appetizers and then shared some main dishes - which the staff portioned out on separate plates for us. The chef brought out our souffle and when it wasn't cooked to his satisfaction, took it back and brought out another which was exquisite. The pastry chef brought us the best beignets I've ever eaten on the house. Anyway - made me look like a hero and the food was some of the best I've had in Kansas City.Special Features:
- Great BrunchExceptionalVIPDined on 9/28/2014Our first visit to Newport Grill. This was one of the best brunches we have had in the KC metro. Selection was great and everything we tried from prime rib, brisket, salmon to the desserts was first fabulous. We will definitely go back.Special Features:
- Superb Experience!GailDined on 9/27/2014We have been to this restaurant before and had a family member come to town so we brought her to visit. We had excellent food and outstanding service! Most impressive was the service by Colten he chose to get to know us and give personal testimony on the dishes he recommended. Because of his confidence in the selections we were not disappointed! We highly recommend the "Black and Blue" Filet as this was something our family member wasn't going to have but did on the recommendation and she was thoroughly impressed and loved her meal! We thank you for the terrific experience brought by Colten, he was thorough and very knowledgeable which made our Superb Experience!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Ho humKeishaDined on 9/27/2014Lovely outdoor seating area. Food items were tasteless for the price point.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2007VIPDined on 9/27/2014Had to send both of our meals back as the fish was overcooked. Sevice was forgetful, disjointed and in general poor. The second time around the food was cool, not hot. This place at the prices they charge needs to get thier act together. No one in mangement offered apology for the screw up.
- A nice, new restaurant to enjoy!BjrOprkDined on 9/26/2014Delicious bacon-wrapped figs...crispy wedge salad, Crab sandwich served on croissant bun with avocado, plus...hearty and nice entree for Lunch. Amazing selection of wines.great service & reasonably priced. We had a great lunch & will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Dinner, Service good. Wine so, so.DanBDined on 9/21/2014Our meals were very good. The service was top-notch. We had 3 different wines by the glass and they were all uninspired. The wine by the glass selection needs some serious work.Special Features:
- Nice New Restaurantmmjones4Dined on 9/20/2014We chose this restaurant when we could not get reservations at YaYa's European Bistro, and I'm glad we did. This had more seafood choices and the service was excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful experienceDanish24Dined on 9/20/2014Enjoyed my first dinner at Newport Grill on a Saturday evening. Reservations were at 5:30, so restaurant not yet filled, but by the time I left, it was very busy. Our server was very attentive and friendly. The menu was flexible, in that you can select entrees with either a chef's recommended pairings or select your own sides. The ambiance was upbeat and pleasant. I look forward to my next visit!Special Features:
- WallEDined on 9/19/2014Nice meal. A little pricey but I felt the servings were just right. Food was very good - would definitely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Occasion DinnerFuneveningoutDined on 9/17/2014This was our first trip to Newport Grill. It came highly recommended by friends, and we were not disappointed. It was a birthday dinner, and it was outstanding! We sat outdoors and enjoyed the firepit by the dining area. The service was terrific, we enjoyed a wonderful bottle of wine, and our appetizers and entrees were "to die for". I had salmon and my husband had grouper - both were delicious. We finished the evening with dessert and coffee - excellent as well. We can't wait for our next trip to Newport Grill!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/13/2014The food and service was fantasic. We did have one meal come out a little cool but it will not stop us from coming back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pricey!neatscDined on 9/13/2014Beautiful décor but very pricey with very small portions. Three shrimp on a shrimp cocktail for $16?? Three scallops on an entrée costing $30. Wanted to love it but food was just ok.
- Excellent!!!JfitzDined on 9/12/2014My husband and I chose Newport Grill for date night last week and had a fantastic experience! The atmosphere was stunning, the food and service were top notch. We are already planning our return!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great New Seafood RestaurantMikeVIPDined on 9/12/2014We had a great time at the Newport Grill on Saturday. The wait staff was fantastic and the food was too match. My wife had wonderful scallops that although not my favorite were cooked exactly right and had no sand. They were silky and smooth. I had the lobster souffle that had a wonderful flaky crust. I am not sure the lobster that was put in the souffle was actually from Maine, but it was very good. We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Feeling rushedJohnDined on 9/8/2014The food was terrific, but our entrees were delivered just well before I had finished my salad (my wife had almost finished her soup). They took it back and gave me another fresh one later, but this never should have happened in the first place.Special Features:
- Just, wowBartendersEatTooDined on 9/1/2014My boyfriend and I are both in the service industry, and FINALLY had a night off together. I've heard lots of talk, so I thought it'd be perfect for an impromptu date night. We walked in wearing jeans and tshirts, having spent the day running around, yet we were warmly welcomed by several staff members. Our server was Chip. Great guy. He clearly new the menu, along with having personally tried the menu items. (We prefer honest opinions on food, not robotic). He gave great recommendations, and answered all questions. The verdict- Likes/loves: Complimentary bottled water The steak tartar is to DIE for Great wedge, awesome tomato bisque Ahi tuna melts in your mouth Scallops are KILLER Butter cake. DO IT dislikes: *crickets*Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wow! Incredible experience!RedQueenVIPDined on 9/1/2014We dined at Newport Grill on Labor Day - several of our friends had raved about the food and we wanted to see if the fuss was justified. It was. Our server was extremely well trained and knowledgeable about the menu, and made several suggestions for us. He told us how their seafood was flown in daily from the coasts, and that the menu changes daily. My husband had the sea bass and I had the steak. We both had the clam chowder, which was probably the best I've ever had. The texture was like silk, and the flavor was perfect. Both entrees were also incredible-cooked to perfection and beautifully presented. I'm a foodie, and it is rare that I give a restaurant 5 stars, but this place really deserved it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 8/31/2014The food was good and our server entertaining, but there's just nothing special about the place. Décor somehow combines modern with old-fashioned. Maybe we just hit an off night where they didn't have a big crowd...
- Outstanding Restaurant!!GailDined on 8/30/2014The food at this restaurant is exceptional! Please try the fresh George Banks Scallops and choose sides of Brûlée Potatoes and Squash. Fabulous!! It was so nice to have Chef Pauly come out introduce himself and check on our experience! The atmosphere was perfect for date night. We had a great waiter Bex who ensured thorough explanations of the food and wine and topped off our experience with his selection of a three sampled dessert that was magnificent!! No drink was missed, just a splendid experience! We will definitely visit again and again!! Thank You!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful Experience!!!OuiLuvGourmetDined on 8/29/2014Finally a meal we felt was worth the cost! The food was absolutely delicious and the clam chowder was the best we have had anywhere. The same for the pomme frites and mushrooms with the Bistro Steak selection, which was cooked perfectly for both of us. Dessert was unique, beautiful and delectable. We thoroughly enjoyed the decor, accessories, and quiet atmosphere, hard to find these days, and even the excellent, very friendly staff kept activity noise minimal. We were surprised that so many of the staff stopped at our table to wish us a happy 33rd anniversery, even those not serving us. Very nice touch! We are convinced that this is a destination place for us and will tell everyone about it. Super attention to details. 5 STARS!!!Special Features:
- Outdoor & MusicOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 8/28/2014We sat out doors and enjoyed a wonderful meal. Then the band started to play and it only got better. We were essentially finished, and just listening to a great band, but never rushed or encouraged to give up the table. Fantastic evening, with excellent wine, great food and music.Special Features:
- Enjoyed Immensely!OKCFOODIEDined on 8/27/2014We celebrated our daughters promotion and it was the perfect place. Upscale atmosphere. great wine list and excellent food! Ambiance was perfect for a pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodWalnutDined on 8/27/2014The food was excellent with very good selections. The service was excellent. The only distraction was the relatively high noise level.Special Features:
- Great new spotgailfrbVIPDined on 8/24/2014Newport Grill/Paradise Diner in PrairieFire in Overland Park is great... went there when it first opened, and most of the "chinks" have been resolved. Appetizers/light plates are perfect for a lighter meal/small portion. Apple crisp dessert, when shared, is worth the calories, BIG TIME! Bar service superb... will be going back soon.Special Features: