Newport Grill on Lake Bonavista
205, 747 Lake Bonavista Dr SE
Calgary, AB T2J 0N2Neighborhood:
ContinentalPrice: CAN$30 and under
Newport Grill on Lake Bonavista
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newportgrill.com/
- Phone: 4032716711x2
- Hours of Operation:
Brunch: Sunday: 10:00 am - 2:00 pm;
Lunch: Tuesday - Friday: 11:30 am - 4:00 pm;
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 5:00 pm - 11:00 pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Continental, Fusion / Eclectic, Contemporary European
- Executive Chef: Joshua Maloff
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: With over 40 years in business, the Newport Grill on Lake Bonavista is an exquisite lakeside venue within the city. Ideal for hosting small intimate receptions in our private west wing as well as plated dinners, buffets, and cocktail receptions for 100 + in the main dining room. With luxurious ambiance and superior service, the Newport Grill provides a unique setting for any unforgettable occasion. You may decide to book the entire restaurant for your event or choose only the main dining room, west wing, lounge, or patio; it"s all up to you. Leave your dreams of your perfect evening with our staff. Let our Executive Chef, Sommelier, and innovative team work directly with you in planning your menu, selecting your wine and helping complete your special day. Our venue is also available for other events such as ceremonies, anniversary parties, gift openings, bridal & baby showers, and corporate gatherings.
- Private Party Contact: Tanya Lesiuk 4032716711
- Entertainment: Join us every Friday and Saturday evening from 6:00 to 10:00 to enjoy the fluid sounds of "Fingers" Fred Potvin as he tickles the ivories of our Baby Grand. Fred is happy to take requests, he plays many genres so don't be shy, and ask to hear your favorite song.
A word from Newport Grill on Lake Bonavista
Long known for its breathtaking views, Newport Grill is the only lakeside dining room in Calgary. Located on Lake Bonavista, our team is driven to provide you with consistent positive experiences, pushing the culinary envelope in Calgary, using the finest ingredients. Our management team and Chefs have decades of global culinary experience and are united in creating a one of a kind dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Newport Grill on Lake Bonavista reviews from OpenTable diners
- We came for lunch and broughtOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/17/2013We came for lunch and brought 3 guests from out of town who had never been to your restaurant. More than just a neighbourhood gem, it is a destination dining spot! We had a great meal, service and a vey amiable ambiance that really allowed us to treat our guests and accomplish a very successful business meeting. We would certainly recommend this restaurant to anyone. Thank you!Special Features:
- The service was excellentOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 1/16/2013The service was excellent but the menu selection is rated very poor. I doubt if I will return due to the menu selection.
- A group of 9 of us went thereOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/28/2012A group of 9 of us went there for dinner on a Friday night in December. We booked an hour or two prior to our arrival. Apparently, this was a bad idea. First of all, they were out of many items on the menu (no more mussels, no more special of the day (steak), no Amaretto...).The biggest problem was the wait.wen had to wait over an hour and a half to get our food. When I brought this to the attention of the manager, he made us feel like we should have never came here, we were too big of a group and apparently didnt give them enough prep time before our arrival. OpenTable nor their website ever stated anything like it. It is really bad from a manager to make you, the customer, feel bad for coming to its restaurant.
- Very Quiet but good for aWoodOvenGuyVIPDined on 12/16/2012Very Quiet but good for a large family outing and we all enjoyed the skaters going by.Special Features:
- Thanks, discovery of an old hauntOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/22/2012This is a find for an old haunt. In the past, we were a frequent the restaurant, but have not gone to the restaurant for some time. Forgot how great it was.Special Features:
- Time for a change!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 11/9/2012The only thing that was enjoyable about our experience was the food. The service was unorganized, to many people doing too many individual jobs made for untimely service. Although our key server had a charming personality, he did not prioritize well. I know what fine dinning service consiste of for I worked as a server at the "Calgary Petroleum Club" for many years. The price we paid for dinner was acceptable but everything else was disappointing. The ambiance was killed by the poor lighting design. I felt like I was revisting "Lake Boavista" in the eighties.
- Appetizers and entrees wereOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 11/3/2012Appetizers and entrees were fantastic. Desserts leave a little to be desired. Ambiance is great!Special Features:
- Won"t be coming back...scoobyDined on 10/26/2012We had planned a nice evening out with some friends...and without the good company, the night would have been a bust. Given the $450 spent, the service was average at best, the vegetables were far too salty, while 2 at the table couldn't eat their "rice/Risoto" because of the salt content. We mentioned the concerns with the food but nothing was done about it. I can guarantee none of the 6 people dining that night will return to this restaurant; despite 4 of them living in the area. A terrible food experience.
- We were the only 5 in theJaJaDined on 10/24/2012We were the only 5 in the restaurant for lunch. The restaurant has a very lovely setting on the lake. The fireplace was on. The bread and popcorn are a treat. The food and service was good.Special Features:
- Dinner on the lakeOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/13/2012Discovered this little gem in Lake Bonavista and will be a frequent visitor. The location and the vew out of the panoramic windows is second to none if or Calgary. I actually felt like I was having dinner in Victoria. The food was amazing and the live piano was just perfect for the romantic atmosphere. Will definitely visit again!!!Special Features:
- Amazing dinner! I had pheasantOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 10/12/2012Amazing dinner! I had pheasant breast stuffed with boar sausage, hubby had tenderloin!Special Features:
- disasterOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/22/2012Shockingly overpriced. $1000 dinner for four. Got stung by two bees on thw balcony outside. Food was dry, overcooked, bland.
- Can't beat sitting by the4PleasedDined on 9/6/2012Can't beat sitting by the window on a sunny day enjoying good company & good food. Service was very good & manager introduced himself.Special Features:
- Truffle potatoes wet veryOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/31/2012Truffle potatoes wet very good, service was attentive but not a nuisance all round a good experience. Will go againSpecial Features:
- Newport Inn/Lake BonavistaOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/31/2012I would definitely reccomend this spot. A great romantic atmosphere and quiet luxurious decor make it very memorable. The menu isn't huge but what is offered is loca, seasonal and perfectly prepared. The server we had was efficient and knowledgable with a warm smile. Overall its a bit pricey for everyday but a can't miss for special occassions. We will be back!Special Features:
- Consistency is importantOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/22/2012I had been waiting to try Newport for ages and my expectations were high as I had heard nothing but good things unfortunately my entire experience was awful and I will not be giving them a second chance. I ordered a glass of wine and then we waited and waited as 2 servers catered to the other tables, one served dropped a plate of pasta,it went every where,it was cleaned up and still we waited. 40 min later we ordered and 50 min before the wine came. After we ordered another table was seated,they were offered bread and their appies came before ours did. Appies were def not worth the price but decent. Dinner was awful. Frozen veggies, limp corn on the cop and very badly cooked beef. The potato croquettes were gross and chewy. $123 flushed!!!!Special Features:
- We did not have the experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 8/22/2012We did not have the experience we had expected and the waiter was sure to compensate us on all the troubles which was very kind of him. Waitress was having a very "off" night. Staff member yells at all the tables to ask who called for a taxi. Very inappropriate! Food was very salty! We will definitely go to a different reastaurant the next time we spend this kind of money on our meal.Special Features:
- If it weren't for the view...OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/10/2012We were the only table in the restaurant. Service was slow and sub-par. It took 25 minutes to get bread, drinks were slow, I sat there for 10 minutes before I received a menu, my toasted sandwich was limp and MOLDY! Friends sandwich looked limp and unappetising.Special Features:
- Appitizers are good, the mainOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/6/2012Appitizers are good, the main dishes need a bit more flavor
- Food was ok but expected moreOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 6/29/2012Food was ok but expected more from a restaurant in this category. Small balcony but lovely view of the lake. Would recommend for drinks and appetizers on the balcony. Ceaser salad very disappointing. Fish special was very good. Steak dishes were over cooked.Special Features:
- We attended the Wine and FoodHaylinVIPDined on 6/20/2012We attended the Wine and Food Pairings on Wednesday night and loved the 5 course meal matched with 5 wines. Sommelier Andrew Paulsen is very knowledgeable about his wine presentation. Chef Joshua Maloff, showed passion with his food creations, is spontaneous and enthusiastic in his presentation. Our company of 8 had a pleasant and enjoyable evening.Special Features:
- The 4-course Father's DayOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 6/17/2012The 4-course Father's Day brunch was very generous in quantity and flavourful. A choice between 2 items was preferable to a buffet for my taste. Service was attentive and pleasant. Our table beside the window offered a lovely setting (would always request this as some tables seemed to be tucked in darker corners). A fine place to enjoy a special occasion.Special Features:
- Newport slipping?OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 6/16/2012I've been to the Newport Grill 3 times now; usually once a year for a special occasion. The restaurant is very nice, great ambiance and wonderful lake view. This was the first time the food was below average. This was for dinner on a Saturday night and my meal was luke-warm and not very good. My expectations were higher for a nice but expensive restaurant. My experience this trip was fair at best.Special Features:
- Great food!ClosetDivaDined on 6/8/2012Beautiful views at this restaurant! Wow! The food was very good. We loved the grilled Caesar salad and the Cherry Creme Brûlée was to die for! The service was just OK but we enjoyed a leisurely paced dinner as a result, so that wasn't all bad. My only real complaint was that I was freezing. The air conditioning was blowing down my back. Take a sweater if going to this restaurant! The live pianist was an unexpected and nice surprise. Would go again for sure!Special Features:
- Bonavista TreasureOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 5/31/2012I've been to the Newport Grill years ago and forgot how breathtaking the view is for the diners. The food was very nice and with the view and quiet ambiance we had a enjoyable lunch. Wine server suggested was perfect.Special Features: