201 E. Main St.
Carbondale, IL 62901Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://thenewellhouse.com/
- Phone: 6185496400x
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Sunday: 11:00am - 2:30pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday 4:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 4:00pm - 10:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Steakhouse
- Executive Chef: Mark Fontana
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Live Jazz on Thursdays 7-10pm
Live Blues on Saturdays 9-11:30pm
A word from Newell House
The freshly restored Newell House Restaurant offers great American cuisines with a neighborhood twist. With its casual and unique atmosphere, it serves as a great place to catch up with a few friends or the entire family. Our Grotto Lounge features a fully stocked bar with numerous martini and wine selections. Live Jazz every Thursday at 7:30.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerMost Booked
Newell House - Best Restaurants in Carbondale ›
Newell House reviews from OpenTable diners
16 reviews since June 21, 2014
- Ambiance4.4Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (12)neighborhood gem (11)fit for foodies (7)good for groups (7)romantic (6)great for lunch (2)great for brunch (1)hot spot (1)notable wine list (1)kid-friendly (1)late-night find (1)Show More
- rampVIPDined on 10/10/2014Always enjoy dinner at the Newell House. Always. Good food. Good wine. Good ambiance..Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Applebee's food at a premium rate.willnotreturnDined on 10/2/2014This was our 2nd time eating at Newell House in 6 years. It was our four year wedding anniversary and decided to give it another try. The wife got a margarita which she loved. I got the ribeye and ordered it medium. It came out well done. I'm not the type of person to send food back because I don't want my wife to wait any longer to eat if she already has her food. She won't eat her meal unless everyone has their food there. The beets and squash that was the side dish was horrible. Just tasted awful. The potato side dish was, ok. Nothing special about it. The steak was also just ok. Nothing special about it. My wife got the chicken piccata. She said it was greasy. The food was the same as applebees, just cost alot more.
- AWSOMEDAZZLINGDIANA711Dined on 9/30/2014Our waiter was a really great I would recommend this restaurant !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SIU Parent's WkendpickydinerDined on 9/27/2014My son and I thoroughly enjoyed our meal while I was in town for Parent's wkend. The bar staff was extremely friendly and our waiter was very kind and knowledgeable. Food was excellent and I will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVED IT!!!!JonDebra324Dined on 9/5/2014We had a great evening at the Newell House. We had a gift certificate from our kids & finally got to use it. The food, service, & everything that went with it were totally amazing!!! Thank you all so much!!Special Features:
- Excellent food and atmopsphere.dcfox78Dined on 8/30/2014The Pork Belly in Korean BBQ sauce was absolutely awesome.Special Features:
- grotto rocksctab5Dined on 8/15/2014This is definitely the overall best restaurant option in Carbondale. It is consistent, flavorful and high quality food. Love the Seabass! Service is excellent also. I particularly enjoy the relaxed ambience of the downstairs bar/lounge with live music on Thursday nights.Special Features:
- Nice EveningDaddersDined on 8/2/2014Had dinner following an SIU graduation. Pleasant atmosphere with prompt and attentive service. Food was good and prepared as requested. A nice place to dine in Carbondale!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/26/2014Everything was absolutely wonderful! It had been a while since we had been here and we will definitely be back very soon!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- RussOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/12/2014Service was much better than in the past The food was wonderful A lot of improvement from past trips Enjoyed eveningSpecial Features:
- The following 38 reviews are from the Newell House reviews archive.
- A Chef for all seasons :-)ParticularDined on 6/21/2014Mark, the Chef, is very talented and creative. He has an impeccable palette and it shows in both his appetizers and entrees. Salads and soups are always both beautiful and delicious. His homemaid pistachio icecream and strawberry lemon scone shortcake is a welcome treat in the Southern Illinois heat. There is no doubt, Newell House could hold its own in any city but luckily for the heartland it's located right here in Carbondale.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding diningRoshark23Dined on 6/14/2014Amazing menu, great staff. Food is outstanding. Worth every cent.Special Features:
- Enjoyed!TfitchDined on 5/31/2014We went here for my birthday. Service was great. We had the ribeye. They didn't try to so anything fancy to it, but the taste was excellent. Carrot cake was put of this world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Graduation DinnergeegeeDined on 5/9/2014We had never been there before and was going on a recommendation. We were looking for somewhere we could make reservations because we had our 2yr grgoandchild with us and it was graduation weekend. It was wonderful! Our table was waiting for us when we got there and the service was wonderful. The menu was somewhat limited, but everyone was pleased with their selections. We will definitely go back!Special Features:
- ExcellentTammiDined on 4/19/2014The Pork Chop entree with the sweet potatoes was excellent. And I love their white chocolate bread pudding. I go their mainly for the dessert! My family and I always so there to celebrate. It's our celebration spot. Whether it's a clean MRI for me (7 years in remission of brain cancer) or someone's birthday, Newell is our spot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special PlaceGustyDined on 3/28/2014Newell house has wonderful serving staff. They are very attentive to your requests. The food is fresh and quite tasty. We enjoyed the ambience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice lunchEricVIPDined on 3/28/2014We took a faculty candidate here for lunch. It was not crowded. Easy to get in and out and very good service. A nice surprise for a college town that lacks quality restaurants.
- Dan, the waiter, was rude.SaraDined on 3/22/2014Dan, the waiter, was rude. Everything else was great.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good serviceLindaDined on 3/19/2014Traveling from St. Louis and found this jewel. The meal was delicious and dessert was to die for. Go for the Choco raspberry And baked marshmallows with homemade graham crackersSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good overallJordanDined on 3/14/2014Newell House is a tad on the expensive side but still pretty tasty overall. We had a couple of letdowns with the appetizers as the duck pizza was on of the best things ever according to the waitress but had far to little on it to make it worth the price. Then she recommended the pork bellies on a bed of kale but that turned out to be Brussel sprouts. Our main courses were good; I recommend the pasta jambalaya. Spicy and tasty!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great date nightjacksDined on 3/1/2014My boyfriend and I had a great date night at newell house. The service was great and the wine was amazing.Special Features:
- Happy anniversaryOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 2/22/2014I booked Newell House for my 31st wedding anniversary. My husband had never been and he really enjoyed it. He walks with a kane and the host was very helpful. The infused margarita was deliciousSpecial Features:
- We had yet again another wonderfulPrinDined on 2/21/2014We had yet again another wonderful dining experience at Newell. Whoever has taken over the menu has done a great job. The food is very tasteful and the service timely. So glad to have this place back on our "Friday night date night" list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, good atmosphereksquared2011Dined on 2/1/2014Newell House is one the best restaurants in Southern Illinois. I've eaten here several times and the food and service is always good. The Grotto, which is the restaurant's bar, is very good too and often has live music.Special Features:
- Good foodcocoDined on 2/1/2014Waitress was trying to rush us which I can understand a bit but there 8 of us, we all had a dinner, drinks up until we left and a dessert to go.. I though this was rather inappropriate considering we were all buying drinks the whole time we were there! Thank you!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas Family CelebrationTeacher1Dined on 12/21/2013We met family from Southern Illinois at the Newell House for our Christmas celebration, and it was wonderful! Lovely place, great food, and excellent service!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it.DallasDined on 12/20/2013I'm only in Carbondale about twice a year, and I always make a point to go to Newell House. It's my favorite local restaurant by far.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- love the Newell House. greatrampVIPDined on 12/19/2013love the Newell House. great place to dine as a couple. great place to go as a group.Special Features:
- Delightful EveningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/30/2013Our experience was delightful. A quiet evening with another couple. Excellent food, service, and could talk easily and be heard.Special Features:
- It was not as good as I hadOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 11/22/2013It was not as good as I had hoped. I would go back, and try something different to see if possibly I just made a bad menu choice.Special Features:
- The food and service was aslittlemiss1Dined on 10/25/2013The food and service was as great as expected. It was our anniversary and my husband and I will definitely go back again. One of our favorite places to have a nice dinner on a special occasion in southern Illinois.Special Features:
- Great for a Date.SouperGood31Dined on 10/19/2013My wife and i celebrated our 10th wedding Anniversary at Newell House, and it was perfect. From the wine to the appetizers and entrees, to the bread pudding and Baileys and coffee for dessert, everything was fresh, hot and wonderful. The service was very attention oriented, and always there when we needed something.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- One of the very bestNathanBDined on 10/12/2013This was one of the very best restaurant experiences I've ever had. The food was of such high quality and seasoned and cooked so well, the atmosphere was so relaxing and the service was probably the best I've ever had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoodcocoDined on 10/5/2013Food and service always good! We usually order dinner ,drinks and dessert.We really enjoy going there. Highly recommend!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!HoosierDined on 9/28/2013Our dining experience was outstanding. Great food, great service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food was good along with theSteveVIPDined on 9/6/2013Food was good along with the service. Will return when back in this town.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice Dinner in CarbondaleOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 8/17/2013We dropped off our son at SIU and wanted to take him and a friend out for a nice dinner. Newell House was exactly whatt we were looking for and I'm sure it must be in the top 3 restaurants in the area. The food was great and our server, Christine, was very nice and attentive. We'll definitely be back next time we are n town!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newell house delicious!HJHarg1Dined on 6/20/2013My wife and I had a great time at the Newell House! The food was delicious and the staff was very knowledgable of the menu! I highly recommend!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExcelentFoodFan22Dined on 6/18/2013The food was outstanding and the service was excelent. I would recommend this restaurant to anybody.Special Features:
- graduation dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 5/10/2013We took a party of 9 to the Newell House. We had people from 13 to 89. Everyone found something on the menu they really liked. We were able to have a lively conversation around the table and we got our food, enjoyed it, and got back to the school in plenty of time for the ceremony. Just a great family experience for a special occasion.Special Features: