New Town Kitchen & Bar
1336 U St. NW
Washington, DC 20009Neighborhood:
U Street Corridor
AmericanPrice: $30 and under
New Town Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newtowndc.com/
- Phone: 2022650965x
- Hours of Operation:
Breakfast: Saturday & Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
Dinner: Tuesday - Sunday: 4:00pm - midnight
Brunch: Saturday - Sunday: 9:00am - 4:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Howsoon H.O. Cham
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Entertainment, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Smoking Area, Takeout, View, Weekend Brunch
- Entertainment: Since Newtown Kitchen & Bar is located in a very highly popular nightlife area, DJ booths will be built on 2 floors to cater to the needs of guests that would like to dance the night away after a great meal in our dining room. We also have private rooms that could be booked with your own DJ, Bar and Cocktail server at any given night for a private event or party.
- Cross Street: 14th St
- Public Transit: Teddy & The Bully Bar is located in the heart of Northwest Washington DC, just north of the 14th Street corridor and convenient to the Shaw, Howard University business corridor, Georgia Avenue and the West of the Convention center. We are central to DC’s finest Howard & Lincoln theatres, interesting boutiques and nightlife.
- Parking: Valet
- Parking Details: Valet parking available at the front of the restaurant Tuesday - Sunday starting at 5:30pm.
A word from New Town Kitchen & Bar
At Newtown, we strive to provide our guest with a unique dining experience that embraces the history of the great historic U Street neighborhood. Our seasonal menu showcases market dishes by Chef / Owner Howsoon H.O. Cham, crafted from ingredients supplied by local farmers, fishermen & meat ranchers from Frederick Maryland to West Virginia. Master Mixologist Seembad Jaudally has created one of U Street's most distinctive and fresh bar program to complement the restaurant's modern concept. From the white room's private dining room, the all-year round retractable rooftop to the Unique red room with wall mounted fireplace, this venue truly reflects the tastes of an era that has evoked change.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
New Town Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
34 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance2.9Noise LevelModerate
good for groups (7)fit for foodies (7)neighborhood gem (7)vibrant bar scene (4)romantic (3)late-night find (3)great for brunch (3)great for outdoor dining (2)hot spot (2)scenic view (1)special occasion (1)Show More
- Awesome Service & Awesome Menu!DawnnBDined on 10/9/2014We went to New Town Kitchen & Bar with a deal from www.thecapitoldeal.com and I definitely would go back without the coupon! Kevin, our server was super friendly, knowledgeable and a total pleasure and then the food came out which was OUT OF THIS WORLD :) Deliciously cooked steaks and scallops & perfectly mixed drinks made for a great Tuesday night.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/27/2014New Town Kitchen & Bar was Beautiful. The set up for my group was nice. The bartenders were very friendly. Our server was also friendly and very patient with us. We stayed for the rest of the night & had a great time. Just make sure to have $15 on you to park in the garage considering that U street is very busy. Just incase you do not find free parking around.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- so sojcs0902Dined on 9/23/2014Food was fine, the restaurant did not look anything like the pictures on the web site. Place needs some touchup work and TLC.
- UnremarkableOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/19/2014Didn't seem to have it all together. No one answered when I called to say we'd be late (WARNING! Parking is scarce!). Didn't matter; only one table was occupied. The wait staff was very nice; however, there was no wine list & bartender didn't know what they had, although I recognized some labels from Trader Joe's just down the street. Coincidence? My pinot grigio retails for $3.99/bottle. Portions were beyond skimpy - 4 grilled asparagus for $7? Short ribs were short about 3 ribs - only came with 2 & without much meat. The collards were diabolically spicy; if that's the preparation, patrons need warning. My porkchop was overcooked ("chef's prep") w/ few potatoes. The best was yet to come; gluton-free molten chocolate cake was delicious.
- Doesn't live up to its potentialC67FDined on 9/19/2014We went Friday evening for cocktails & small dishes. I made the reservation through OpenTable for 5pm. When we arrived, we were told they don't serve dinner until 5:30. Huh? The cocktails were nothing spectacular. We had lobster bisque. It was decent. We tried 5 apps: catfish fingers (nicely done; coleslaw was not worth a 2nd bite), the sesame ginger chicken wings (tasted mostly of soy sauce; not worth getting again), the crawfish hushpuppies (had great texture, but we had to try to find anything crawfish-related), the fried artichokes (decent), and the jumbo scallops on a pumpkin puree bed (puree was excellent, the scallops were nicely seared, but over-salted). The positives: friendly staff, decent service, & a diverse menu.
- not so good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 9/11/2014My steak was tough and sinewy. Staff are great though. The storage areas of the restaurant were open and not very tidy.
- Excellent foodTmo2013Dined on 9/9/2014We got there around 6, pretty early for dinner - and we were the only guests. The waiter was super friendly and everything we ordered was excellent. Scallops and jerk chicken skewers were our appetizers and salmon and ny strip our entrees. Everything was seasoned perfectly and grilled just right.Special Features:
- DisappointingNateDined on 9/7/2014Some food OK, some not very good. And expensive for that. Not recommended.
- Great service and good foodypdinersDined on 8/28/2014We were a group of four and were pretty stuffed, even though everything was done in small plates. We had a voucher for half off our dinner which was a good value, otherwise the regular prices for the small plates and drinks are overpriced. The bartender was new so she took a while to make our drinks, but they were tasty. The glassware were not completely clean, with more attention to cleanliness, I would give this place a higher rating.
- Great small plates!!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/28/2014We went for an early dinner on a Thursday, and the place was mostly empty. We were warmly greeted and seated promptly. The small plate menu is limited, but the food is is delicious. The ribs were especially good and my husband really liked the fried catfish "sticks." We have no complaints about the quality of the food, but it seemed to take a long time for the food to arrive. This may have been because we ordered several small plates and they all arrived at the same time. Everything was piping hot and very tasty. Also, my glass of wine had a very generous pour. We sat downstairs near the bar area. By the time we left, all the seats at the bar were taken and everyone seemed to be having a good time. The music was a bit loud.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious food poor servicebrimvDined on 8/23/2014Server misrepresented size of plates and gave the wrong drinks and wrong meals to my friend and I (have mine to my friend and my friend's to me). We ordered wine, cocktail, steak and fish, which should be pretty hard to mess up.Special Features:
- MichaelADined on 8/1/2014This was horrible..the bartender didn't know how to make drinks, they messed up our entire order (several times)...they didn't wait on us at the front door..they were just very inexperienced and didn't know what they were doing. They even changed the Travel Zoo coupon...we didn't receive what we were supposed to receive...only "small plates" and that was not what the coupon stated. Never will go back there again and this was FRAUD.
- Great experience!pickyvegDined on 7/24/2014We are from out of town so did not know the area or restaurant. We had 6 in our party, everything was fresh and fabulous! We waited for the bread pudding to come out of the oven and was it ever worth it. The chef came out to talk to us and explained how he made the dishes. What a wonderful dining experience! We came early, 7 pm, so the restaurant was not busy. It gets busy later with music and the bar.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- UnderwhelmingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/24/2014Had I been paying full price for this meal (I was using a deal I'd purchased) I would have been disappointed. Service was fine, but the food was not great, nor were the menu options. They were out of all diet sodas the night I visited, which just seems very odd. The mussels were the worst I'd ever had - they had a strong seafood flavor (in a bad way) and tasted like they might be bad (although neither I nor my dining partner got ill). The bruschetta was served warm - it amounted to a tasty personal pizza and I enjoyed it, but found it odd that it was called a bruschetta. My chocolate cake had been microwaved too long and was burnt in the middle. Servers were all very friendly, but they couldn't make up for the food. I won't be returning.
- Great service, Delicious foodnesrobin4Dined on 7/20/2014Waitresses were timely. Even met the management as they checked on the customers. Enjoyed the quaint environment. I look forward to coming back to New Town. Thank you for the pleasant evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Newtown ReviewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/20/2014I thought the dining space was welcoming and comfortable. I love the option of the velvet couches over traditional tables and chairs. My omelet was delicious and I really liked the two free mimosas :-). One minor issue...the music was too loud and at times disruptive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointingkltinerDined on 7/12/2014Came here with a group of friends on a whim as we wanted something casual in the neighborhood. the food was simply underwhelming. 3 ordered the beet salad, however one had no beets and too many walnuts, and others had few if any walnuts and a ton of beets. The shrimp in the Shrimp and Grits did not taste fresh, and while the menu advertised chorizo, the sausage that came in the dish was not even close to chorizo. The spinach and quinoa dish was honestly the only enjoyable thing, and a friend who ordered the cornmeal crusted catfish enjoyed it a lot. I honestly never write negative reviews, but in the 14th and U neighborhood, your money is better spent elsewhere.
- Simple. Great service. Go hungry!CalpikeDined on 6/26/2014This is the former location of Tabaq Bistro just a half-block from U-Street Metro. Attentive service really makes New Town shine. The simple menu offers enough choices to please. We started with the Thai Green Mussels, which were in a great curry blend with coconut milk and lemongrass. We had to ask for break so as to not waste the broth. For entrees, we had the ribeye and the lamb chops. Both were such large portions that we had to take about half of each home. For dessert, we had the gluten-free chocolate cake. It's hard to cook gluten-free, but they nailed it. There were some interesting cocktails on the menu and a reasonable wine list. Special thanks to maitre' d' Sinbad (no, not the comedian) who was very accommodating.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food; still needs workHometownGuyDined on 6/22/2014Perhaps we went on an off night. The place was pretty much empty. For some odd reason they placed us in the very back of the restaurant although there was only one other couple eating, but perhaps that was to separate us from the action at the bar. The service was good and the drinks were delicious. The nice ambiance on the inside does not match the outside look. It was obvious they have a chef (not just cooks) and the entrees were great and a very nice size. All in all, a good restaurant.Special Features:
- Good U Street FindJJJJDined on 6/21/2014This restaurant has great food and is reasonably priced. Recommend the ribeye to anyone that enjoys tasty steak. The waitresses/waiters seemed to get overwhelmed when multiple large groups arrived but they could have been understaffed.Special Features:
- The following 27 reviews are from the New Town Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- Missing the markOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014See yelp review. Went for dinner Sat night. At peak time there were 3 tables full out of the 25 tables or so that was available. Nice looking restaurant, however at 8:30 on Sat night all you could hear was the loud music and bass coming from upstairs. When you first walked in the bouncer asks you if your coming for drinks upstairs or dinner downstairs so I figured upstairs was more of a lounge or club type atmosphere........
- Amazing experience!KellyDined on 5/25/2014I was a little worried about booking such a large group (15 people) on such short notice at a place I've never heard of or been to. Everything went perfectly though! I had to push the reservation back an hour and they had no problem accommodating us. The servers were extremely professional and friendly. Food was 100% better than I expected at such a low cost. I was SO impressed by everything. I would definitely come here again and recommend it to anyone I know.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/24/2014I am sad to say that I was very disappointed with my experience at Newtown. The main source of my disappointment stems from the fact that the food was underwhelming. I made reservations for 10 as our main dinner for a batchelorette party, and even across the the variety of appetizers and entrees ordered, the consensus was that the food was not good. Although I love the set up of the restaurant, its unfortunate that I will not be back for dinner service.
- DCdinerDined on 5/24/2014The restaurant is below a club/bar that produced obnoxiously loud music throughout our entire meal, which was 7pm on a Saturday - pretty early for pounding bass music. The food was ok - my lamb was overcooked and the flat bread was actually a cooked dough with some non-melted cheese sprinkled atop. The waiter never came over to ask how our entrees were. The menu looks great, but I wasn't that impressed with my dish. Would only go back if I was with a rowdy crowd who wouldn't be bothered by incredibly annoying bass music.Special Features:
- What could beKianaDined on 5/21/2014This place could be a great "hot spot" in the U street area. This is a great space and an awesome retracting rooftop. There needs to be more marketing to let people know they exist. The food was OK, but it could be great with a little more attention to details. For instance, the lamb chops we had was flavored great, but it was overcooked, as we asked for medium. Also the goat stew that was order was very thick; the stew itself could have been a tad thinner. The dessert, peach cobbler, was made with frozen peaches. Why not use fresh peaches and homemade ice cream?Special Features:
- Disappointing experiencedcdinerDined on 5/21/2014We waited 45 min for our food. My roommate ordered the eggs Benedict and they came back and told us they were out of it. They only have about 6 items on the menu and to be out of one of those at 10:30am seemed a bit ridiculous to us. When they realized that we were waiting so long, suddenly they had the Benedict available and brought it for no charge. The omelet only had an enormous amount of pepper. For $16 my roommate got the steak and eggs; about 3oz of steak and about half of that was fat. At the end they offered us complimentary mimosas which again signaled that they were aware of how sub-par the experience was. I really wanted to like this new place but unfortunately I will never recommend this place to a guest of my hotel.
- Outstanding and creative foodglobalistfoodieDined on 5/17/2014Executive Chef-owner Howsoon is truly a first-class chef.From appetizer thru entrees and dessert the preparation ,presentation and taste are tops.The combination of flavors is unique but never over-powering.The cocktails are creative and refreshing.Service is very friendly and professional.Highly recommended and will return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mother's Day TreatGaleSDined on 5/11/2014Wonderful Mother's Day dinner with the family... service and food were excellent. Need to get the word out!!!Special Features:
- Attention to DetailPrettygirlvitaDined on 5/11/2014I took my mother her after I had purchased a voucher on Captioldeal for Dinner for two. The deal was a steal. 2 cocktails,2 entrees, an appetizer, and dessert for $40. This was my first time going and I loved it. I ordered the crab cake dinner,which came two crab cakes with sauteed vegetables under it. I wish it came with a side. My mother ordered the shrimp & grits..her plate was clean as whistle! The drinks were great,you can't go wrong with a margarita! The restaurant was nice and had light music playing.Great mood setter. Our server was quick and funny.We also got a tour of the place by Simbad-think he was a manger.The rooftop I didn't expect...cant wait to go back with friends to enjoy some drinks and the view!!Overall I love Newtown.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Ambiance and Savory FoodKCSkegeeGirlDined on 5/11/2014I had the pleasure of dining their for Mother's Day and was enjoyed EVERY part of meal. The starters, were delicious, from the Turkey Meatballs to the Scallops! The presentation was spot on! For my main course, I ordered the Lamb Chops. They were perfectly cooked and seasoned.Special Features:
- Great Food, Weird AmbianceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/9/2014The food was absolutely amazing and our server was as well. However, there was a happy hour going on on the rooftop deck and it was extremely loud... this didn't bother me as much as the lighting that was severely bright. Dim lights save dates. Also, the bar tender on staff seemed to be on her own agenda (snails pace) and I'm also almost 100% positive she let another server take a straw to my drink to make sure it wasn't too spicy. Overall, great food but I wouldn't go back.Special Features:
- NicknameDined on 5/3/2014Extremely noisy, food was passable but not good, and don't venture off the first floor - the bathrooms were horrifically dirty. Fine for a club, just thought (mistakenly) this was a restaurant.
- Incredibly loud, horrible serviceScwertDined on 5/3/2014The service was insanely slow, had to ask 5 times for our first drink order, and got the response "our bartender is new" why , would a new restaurant hire a bartender with NO experience? beats me. When our check came, there were 5 drinks listed that we did not order, but i will say they took them off no questions asked, which was about the best thing they did . Not to mention my friends glass of wine was absolute disgusting, full of wine sediment. Apparently there is a club up in the upstairs portion, no where on the website was this mentioned. Trying to hold a conversation with loud club music above was near impossible. The food was good for the price point.
- Pretty disappointingkolyaDined on 5/2/2014We went here because of a TravelZoo deal. I tried calling for a reservation, but no one ever answered. Used OpenTable, but it was empty at 7pm on Friday. The drinks were unimpressive and seemed watered down. The appetizer (catfish) was good, but we didn't get appetizer plates. The fried hen was very sweet and difficult to eat, the greens were gritty. The shrimp and grits barely had any grits. The brioche coconut bread pudding didn't taste like coconut. The ice cream was icy and cinnamon flavor - didn't match the menu at all. Had to ask for spoons to eat it. Service was terrible, when present. We were never asked if we'd like to order a 2nd drink. Didn't refill water until we asked after the glasses sat empty. Disappointed. Not going back.
- New Spot Worth Checking OutMystticxDined on 5/1/2014Great food.. new location, nice rooftop bars, great in nice weather. Portions were large and quite tasty.Special Features:
- New Town Sadly DisappointsjadoredcDined on 4/27/2014The service was quite dry. Neither the hostess nor the wait staff had much personality or was engaging. The food at best, can be considered mediocre. I had the chorizo sausage and smoked gouda cheese omelet. The Egg was cooked too long and the sausage didn’t taste like authentic chorizo. My hubby had the shrimp and grits. The sauce was way too overdone, and the texture of the grits was a bit mushy. they had bread pudding on the menu and I have made it my business to find the best bread pudding in the city. But by the time the waitress FINALLY came back to us I was just ready to leave. In a city with so many options there is no room for mediocrity.Special Features:
- Disappointing!lnhrDined on 3/16/2014We went to brunch there and had no server. The manger took are order and never came back. I had to continue to get up and ask the hostess for things. It was my friends birthday and every one around that was celebrating also received candles in there desert and we didnt. My friend who picked this place was so upset that we ate there for her birthday. Be aware of what you get your self into if you dine here
- DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/16/2014I was really looking forward to brunch and was very disappointed. Upon arrival, I was told it would be a 45 minute wait, despite having a reservation. The hostess was cold and aloof, and didn't seem interested in accommodating us. Our wait was much less than that, so my complaint was not about the wait, but about how it was handled by the hostess. The food was ok, nothing special, and the drinks were far too sweet. It took 20 minutes to receive our mojitos after we ordered them, and once our food came, we didn't see our server for a good 45 minutes. Overall, I don't recommend New Town. With mediocre food, issues with reservations, and an inattentive staff, there are far too many great brunch options in DC to recommend trying New Town.
- Good restaurant in U St CorridorCarlyDined on 3/15/2014This is a new restaurant that was quite underpopulated when we went this past Saturday. We were a large group, and there was plenty of room for us. I got the crab cakes, the chicken jerk skewers and a caesar salad, and also tried the BBQ chicken flatbread. The food was delicious. Everything appeared to be made in house. It seemed like a nice place overall - good lighting, attentive staff, and delicious food. I would go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good BrunchOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/8/2014We tried this place out for brunch. I had the coconut French toast, which was amazing, and my friend had the chorizo omlette. Both of us were very happy with our food, and the pitcher of blood orange mimosa was generous (actual pitcher, not a carafe you get at most places). On a Saturday morning it was quiet and chilled out. Very enjoyable.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.