New South Kitchen & Bar
8140 Providence Road, Ste 300
Charlotte, NC 28277Neighborhood:
SouthernPrice: $30 and under
New South Kitchen & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.newsouthkitchen.com/
- Phone: (704) 541-9990
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Saturday: 11:00am - 10:00pm
Sunday: 11:00am - 9:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Low Country, Southern, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Chris Edwards
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wine, Wine Bar
A word from New South Kitchen & Bar
New South Kitchen & Bar ia a local chef's hand-crafted modern take on Southern food. Our seasonal, ingredient driven menu spotlights some of the finest ingredients the Carolinas have to offer. We take great pride in supporting family owned farms that embrace sustainable all natural farming methods. All of the beef, pork and poultry we serve are raised with no antibiotics or artificial growth hormones. And all of the seafood is sustainably fished or farmed in the waters of the Carolinas. Whenever possible we purchase our produce from farms surrounding Charlotte. We feel that utilizing as many local products as possible produces a better tasting meal, healthier guests and a stronger community.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerKid Friendly
New South Kitchen & Bar - Best Restaurants in Charlotte ›
New South Kitchen & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (37)neighborhood gem (33)great for lunch (21)good for groups (19)kid-friendly (16)great for brunch (11)special occasion (6)late-night find (5)notable wine list (5)romantic (4)vibrant bar scene (3)hot spot (2)Show More
- Great farm to table restaurantShropUSCVIPDined on 11/14/2014Fried turkey was great and the fried okra salad was amazing as well. Some of the best okra I've had.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AndreaDined on 10/29/2014Service was excellent, food was great. Although we sat and talked for a long time, we were not rushed. And when one of the members made a comment about food the waiter asked if she had diet restrictions and offered a gluten-free menu, which she happily took advantage of. I'd definitely recommend it!Special Features:
- Local Food with A Highend FlareLinLinDined on 10/19/2014We tried several of the entrees , and found the fried turkey entree exceptional. The shrimp & grits was also good. The okra salad was disappointing -- only a few okra rounds dotted this entree and the dressing was extremely oily especially for a vinegarette.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The name is rightFoodExplorerDined on 10/19/2014They have pretty good "new Southern" style food. Nothing extraordinaire--but a nice solid meal. I had the meatloaf, green beans, and mashed potatoes: traditional recipe, very ordinary--but good quality ingredients. And also tried the sweet potatoes, which were excellent. The blueberry pie dessert was delicious. The decor is a little tired and blah, but it's comfortable, and in a convenient location. Service was nothing to rave about, since the waitress didn't introduce herself and we had to push our used plates to the edge just before the dessert came in order for her to remember to finally take them away, but otherwise she did ok. Overall I'd go back because the food tasted good and it was comfortable. But I wouldn't write home about it.Special Features:
- Fresh and innovativeyumyumDined on 9/27/2014Great food. Not the same ole rehash of a twist on southern eclectic but rather fresh locally sourced ingredients put together in a way that is delicious. I will be back anrd take friends to show off this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little disappointedResonableReviewDined on 9/27/2014My wife and I love New South. For some reason they had a down night this past visit. Food was OK and not the WOW factor that they usually serve. Service not their usual fantastic. Everybody has an off night, lets just hope it doesn't become the norm.
- Very So SoxxxxxDined on 9/26/2014I did not find it to be reminiscent either new or old south. And atmosphere was not conducive to dining. First & last visit
- Overpriced and Average at bestOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/20/2014Service was great but food was average at best and overpriced for this environment. Applebee's atmosphere with upscale pricing.
- NewbyDined on 9/17/2014The menu is full of local produce so very fresh. I tried fried chicken with a waffle which came with a pot of delicious gravy plus syrup for the waffle. I also tried the squash casserole which was absolutely scrumptious. Our waiter was very knowledgeable about the menu and gave us excellent service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MauiYumDined on 9/12/2014We are from Charleston, SC and stumbled across the restaurant.This was our second visit. The food was delicious and the service was terrific!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best Local RestaurantFrankVIPDined on 9/6/2014This is an ideal restaurant serving dinners to sandwiches at a high quality. Everything is always fresh and the wait staff is exceptional.Special Features:
- Favorite Neighborhood Dining SpotSofoodieDined on 9/5/2014Have been to New South countless times since moving to Charlotte over a year ago. The food is consistently high quality and the service is exceptional. My favorite choices include: deviled eggs, shrimp and grits, meatloaf, chicken and waffles, any of the flatbreads, burger, seasonal veggies and desserts!Special Features:
- Every timeCathyDined on 9/5/2014Another fabulous meal!! We brought friends who had "forgotten about it" and now I'm sure they'll return...with or without us! And of course, we'll be back. Our favorite neighborhood restaurant but worth the drive even f it was not close!Special Features:
- I can Hear My Party Talk!DeliciousVIPDined on 8/26/2014The food is not only incredible, but you can actually hear your party talk in this restaurant, which is so rare these days. I love the 1/2 priced bottle of wine and the menu is always delicious and creative!Special Features:
- NoisySteveVIPDined on 8/23/2014We have eaten several times, but this time we were seated in the bar area with a large party at one table and a full bar area with a party in progress. I have to say that it was not an enjoyable evening when you cannot have a conversation across the table without screaming to be heard. When you book a reservation, try to get seated in the dining room and not the bar side.I would recommend this to a friend.
- LtippettDined on 8/22/2014My husband and I had a great dining experience. My husband is still talking about how delicious his mushroom burger was! We will definitely dine here again!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful as alwaysMarthaJaneVIPDined on 8/22/2014Wonderful service. Pimento cheese and spring rolls fabulous. Good leftovers.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- sunny allensunnyDined on 8/19/2014Love the farm to table food! Lots of local growers supply New South. The local beers were wonderful and good wine list. Our server was attentive and very knowledgeable. I had the Tile fish special, yum! Their fried okra salad with chicken, meatloaf, pimento cheese, green tomatoes, collards, squash casserole, biscuits and apple butter are some of my faves.Special Features:
- EAT OUT A LOTEATOUTALOTVIPDined on 8/18/2014A GREAT FIND! FOOD WAS DELICIOUS! SERVER WAS GREAT! TASTED LIKE A HOME COOKED MEAL! WILL BE BACK.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- always fabCathyDined on 8/16/2014although we're regulars, we took friends for their first visit. they loved it and i'm sure they'll go back on their own! we will certainly continue to go and enjoy it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FREQUENT DINEREATOUTALOTVIPDined on 8/15/2014New South always has something new on the menu from local suppliers. The owner/chef always prepares it I like it was a home cooked meal. We go here frequently and always find something to enjoy and service is always friendly and prompt.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- LOVE TO EAT OUTEATOUTALOTVIPDined on 8/13/2014Eating at New South is almost like going to Grandma's house. No "Corporate Chain" meal available here. We split the mixed green salad and the deviled eggs both of which were delicious. They had NC fresh snapper this night along with fresh creamy corn and butter beans. All was delicious. We will go back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, not so great serviceClt1214VIPDined on 8/9/2014Have been to New South several times and the food has never disappointed. However, the service is always lacking. The hostess/host always seem overwhelmed and clueless even of its empty. The wait staff ( with maybe one or two exceptions) is mediocre at best. Our waiter last night hardly looked at us when he spoke and seemed downright miserable. I typically have better service and conversation with the person at the fast food drive thru. Fortunately, there are a few places in the same shopping center to go for coffee and dessert that have fantastic service to lift our spirits up after dinner.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food & serviceFrankVIPDined on 8/8/2014Service and food always consistently good. They use local farmers for vegetables and many entrees. Specials are good and an excellent change of pace meal. Servers are very attentive and accommodating To special dietary needs.Special Features:
- Good foodYumYumDined on 8/6/2014The restaurant was very nice and the menu was quite different. I had the fried chicken it was good...a little bland though.Special Features:
- Consistently GoodDennisVIPDined on 8/3/2014New South never disappoints. The owner/chef is constantly changing or tinkering with the menu, and the results are almost always excellent.Special Features:
- The following 225 reviews are from the New South Kitchen & Bar reviews archive.
- A Pleasant SurpriseLuvsgoodfoodDined on 7/29/2014This was our first time at the New South Kitchen and Bar. The surroundings were pleasant, and noise was at a comfortable level. Our waiter was awesome and had a great sense of humor. Both my husband and I enjoyed our meals, and were pleased that the food came from local farms. Portions were just right, flavors were there, and the presentation fine. The buttermilk poundcake and the pecan pie bread pudding were delicious. We highly recommend this restaurant!Special Features:
- Pleasantly SurprisedSimplyDiningDined on 7/25/2014I went to the New South Kitchen & Bar during Charlotte's restaurant week. This was my first time at the restaurant. My starter dish was the pulled pork egg roll which was very good. For my entree I selected the Pan Fried Chicken. The chicken could have used a little more salt. However, the dish was still delicious and a great choice. For dessert I had the pound cake on top of blackberries with a scoop of ice cream on top. It was fantastic. Service was also great. I definitely would return to try more dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Quite a Find!JojoDined on 7/25/2014Queen's Feast is a time to try new restaurants, and we're so happy we found New South Kitchen! The food was outstanding! Southern comfort with a slight twist. The crunchy potato salad was fantastic, as was the pan fried chicken. The fried Pound Cake with brown butter ice cream and blackberries was delicious! The fried green tomatoes were awesome! The wine was tasty! The regular menu was nicely priced and we'll be visiting New South Kitchen often, whether it's for Queens Feast or just because we're craving some southern comfort food! Highly recommend checking it out!Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/23/2014Awesome food and awesome service. The crispy potato salad app and pork tenderloin entree were amazing.Special Features:
- Fabulous DinnerLovetoeatDined on 7/23/2014Enjoyed New South as a part of Queens Feast and it was a HUGE HIT! Started with the redneck cheeseboard: some of the best pimento cheese ever and my dinner partner had the Fried Green tomatoes: the sauce that came with them made them! So delicious! We both ended up having the same dinners: fried chicken with mashed potatoes and the best green beans we have ever had and our meal was completed by some yummy grilled buttermilk pound cake with fresh blackberries and ice cream. SO GOOD! Well worth the noise and crowds... an FABULOUS meal. We will be going back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First time visit . . . .WaltDined on 7/23/2014The restaruant participated in the Charlotte Queens Fest. We chose it because it was close to home. Very impressed with everything. Service staff were attentive and friendly. Food was excellent and thr prices were quite reasonable (and not just the Queens Fest menu). Realy felt like this would be a great place for an occasional casual dinner, special event or just a visit to the bar and the small plate menu. First time visit but certainly won't be the last.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Flavorful surprise!UnimpressedVIPDined on 7/22/2014What a surprise! We decided to check out New South during restaurant week and ended up loving the food. All of the items are garnered locally and made with a flavorful flare. This will definitely be added to our rotation. The only negative is the 96.5 sanitation rating posted. We are going to inquire the next time out why it is so low...Special Features:
- Something new!NewComer26Dined on 7/22/2014The food was great and I loved the ambiance of the restaurant! Will definitely go back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New South KitchenFlashmanDined on 7/20/2014We've been here many times over the past few years. Always excellent food and service. They have innovative approaches to traditional southern fare, and the ambience is good. Highly recommend it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food Was Great, Service Not As Muchquclady91Dined on 7/19/2014I dined at New South during the Queens Feast Restaurant Week. I really enjoyed the menu (and the glass of wine that was included). I made a reservation and arrived EARLY and was seated 30 minutes LATE. It wasn't even too crowded. My friend went the following evening and shared the same experience. Our waitress was helpful and kind but the food came out kind of staggered and it was a little awkward. My date's appetizer got cold while she waited for mine to arrive, not wanting to be rude and eat before I had food. Overall though, for restaurant week the food was great and obviously the pricing was affordable. I'll be back, but hopefully with a little smoother service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Slow servicePenelopeDined on 7/19/2014Terribly understaffed for restaurant week. Food was good, but bartender was not able to keep up with orders. Long wait to get a drink. Waiter seemed rushed and forgot what we ordered. Also had to wait for a table even with a reservation. Good for the restaurant but bad for the customer.Special Features:
- Do not go during Queen's FeasteglanningDined on 7/19/2014My husband and I have been to New South several times and have always had a great experience. We went with two other couples this past Saturday night, during Queen's Feast, and you can tell the waiters, nor the cooks were prepared. Our waiter was running around from table to table. You could tell he was panicked. He was trying really hard though, so I will give him that. But our drinks, bread, and several other things definitely suffered. The flavor of the food was fantastic, but every single person's food was room temp. The plate was hot, but the food was not. So you could tell it was sitting on a hot plate, waiting to come to our table. Everyone's fish was undercooked big time as well! Like I said, usually great though.Special Features:
- Delicious Food As AlwaysDeliciousVIPDined on 7/19/2014The menu was excellent for restaurant week! I couldn't believe my favorites were actually included on the menu. The service was a little slow, but this is not the norm. The place was packed and the server was having a difficult time keeping up. We waited and had to remind her a couple times to bring us things. We love this restaurant, because the chef, Chris is always coming up with delicious, creative ways to present local food bought from local farmers and merchants. We also love it because we can have an actual conversation and hear each other!Special Features:
- Good was greatFoodloverLKWDined on 7/18/2014While at first the table seemed to almost be in the pathway of the door, we slide it over and it felt more comfortable. Margarita was perfect. The pork tenderloin and sauce with it was amazing. Fried Okra salad was a big hit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.