New Sheridan Chop House
233 West Colorado Avenue
Telluride, CO 81435Neighborhood:
SteakhousePrice: $50 and over
New Sheridan Chop House
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newsheridan.com/
- Phone: (970) 728-9100
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steakhouse, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Dinner Nightly: 5:30pm - 9:30pm
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: We have a private dining room that can seat up to 20 people.
- Private Party Contact: Cory Widau 9707289100
- Entertainment: Check out our Historic Bar next door for late night action!
- Cross Street: Oak Street
- Public Transit: From Gondola Station: Walk straight up Oak Street through Elks park and we are straight ahead, right next to the clock tower. Galloping Goose Bus Station: We are 20 feet from the Courthouse Galloping Goose bus stop. Galloping Goose Bus Station: We are 20 feet from the Courthouse Galloping Goose bus stop.
- Parking: Street Parking
- Parking Details: Free street parking after 6:00pm.
A word from New Sheridan Chop House
A lively main street steak house offering a selection of the worlds finest steaks, eclectic fresh seafood and daily specials. Executive Chef Erich Owen focuses on the highest quality local ingredients prepared with French technique and American flair. Paired with an award winning wine list, the New Sheridan Chop House is sure to please the most discriminating palates. 970-728-9100 www.newsheridan.comContinued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerHot Spot
- Diners' Choice WinnerVibrant Bar Scene
New Sheridan Chop House - Best Restaurants in Telluride ›
New Sheridan Chop House reviews from OpenTable diners
30 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.5Noise LevelModerate
romantic (16)special occasion (16)fit for foodies (16)notable wine list (11)hot spot (11)neighborhood gem (11)vibrant bar scene (10)great for lunch (9)great for outdoor dining (9)great for brunch (9)scenic view (8)good for groups (8)kid-friendly (4)late-night find (2)Show More
- Marvelous as alwaysNannygoatDined on 10/4/2014Great place to eat.i make reservations for busy times months out. Their wait staff keeps getting better, has not been as friendly as other restaurants in the area in the past. Hostess and phone reservations are always extremely accommodating. They are such a highly demanded restaurant I always call with reservation changes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- It started out well!dinnertimeVIPDined on 9/12/2014First allow me to say, the food was great! We started with an heirloom tomato salad which was yummy! I had elk and my date had steak. Both were at the temperature we requested and were tasty! And the dessert was also quite nice. Unfortunately, our waiter was less than attentive and so we sat waiting for water refills and to order a second cocktail. I believe some of the issues with the waiter might have been due to the secluded nature of the table. It was nice to be tucked away from the crowd, but the lack of care marred the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very nice dinner.ChasMVIPDined on 9/7/2014Great steaks and pommes frites. Caesar salad and grilled asparagus were good too. Service was very good too.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sophisticated and well presentedFlyfishingTellurideDined on 9/6/2014We had a great night, with wonderful and kind service. The atmosphere was perfect, the food was deliciously perfect, and the wine was great. The Chop House Steak special would have been nicer in the dining area, rather than the bar, but everything else was very memorable. Thank you for the comfortable visit.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A night to rememberSpagrlVIPDined on 8/30/2014Our dinner last night was superb in every way- menu choices, food quality, and especially the service. John is our favorite waiter in Telluride!Special Features:
- Great as alwaysEd5640VIPDined on 8/28/2014Year after year this resturant keeps it's quality food and serviceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Killer dinnerMbaflyboyVIPDined on 8/15/2014We had the cold meat and shrimp appetizers which were fantastic, the wine list is extensive and contained several gems which made pairings easy. The buffalo and the rack of lamb were memorable, as was the salmon. Service was top notch and we all left smiling. A perfect meal!Special Features:
- Special attention for our vegankkr1Dined on 8/7/2014While the Sheridan Chop House is justifiably famous for its steaks, I want to thank them for extending extra effort to meet the needs of our vegan son. The staff and chef went out of the way to prepare him something delicious so that he could enjoy the evening as much as the rest of the bachelor party. As for the other guys - it's their favorite restaurant in Telluride!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- barbDined on 8/5/2014We had a wonderful evevning. Try the fried spinach side if it is available. Our request for a specific table was honored. Loved our waitress Jacque.Special Features:
- Not a good experienceBetterchoicesoutthereDined on 8/4/2014We made our reservations to New Sheridadn Chop House through Open Table with a note we were celebrating a 60th birthday. We arrived on time and were pleasantly greeted and seated. The atmosphere was spectacular, but very loud and noisy. Our waiter seemed uninterested with no personality whatsoever. For appetizers, we ordered a Salmon cake and two french onion soups, all of which arrived luke warm. We ended up sending all 3 back for some heating in the kitchen. Our meals arrived prior to the appetizers returning, which our waiter apologized and said he would try to make it up on the bill, which he did. Overall, I would definitely not be going back...Pricey for the lackluster food and service to boot.
- Chop houseAustiniteVIPDined on 8/2/2014This is one of our favorite restaurants in Telluride. The quality of the food is always consistent and wonderful. No surprises here. French onion soup is a local favorite, their steaks and game dishes are outstanding as are their fish selections. We are recent paleo dieters and had no problems finding entrees suitable for us with no adjustments needed, which is typical in other restaurants. Service has always been outstanding and if you return year after year you will see the same staff. The main dining room is my favorite for ambience, with the patio doors open in the summer it brings in the Main Street vibe. Both the lobby bar and dining room bar are great options for singles or a twosome.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- When in Telluride, must dine hereBeach5Dined on 7/30/2014Tried New Sheridan thinking we had to hit a historical spot but wasn't expecting much. Loved this place - the food was delicious and setting charming. Was presently pleased with how good the food was - all the dishes were fantastic. Great wine selection that will enhance any meal. A must place to dine when visiting Telluride.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 277 reviews are from the New Sheridan Chop House reviews archive.
- Really disappointingSarahDined on 7/28/2014We stayed at the New Sheridan Hotel and decided we should have dinner there at least once during our visit. Considering the reviews, I was expecting the food to be much better. We arrived for an early dinner and were seated near a window, which was a highlight of the meal since the setting is lovely. We both ordered steaks and both were overcooked. The meat was not nearly as flavorful as I have had at other top-end steakhouses and frankly, a Costco filet mignon cooked on my grill at home would have been much better. For $50 per steak, it was very disappointing to eat a dry, bland steak. I even ordered one of their special sauces and it still was not enough to make it tasty. The server seemed quite aloof, too. Will not go back.
- We Will Try AgainOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/25/2014I think this spot could have been terrific but we just had a tough service night. The steaks were all done wrong. It took 25 minutes re redo the steaks and they didn't automatically give us new/warm sides. When they further cooked my steak about 1/2 of it disappeared and my sides were cooked further and then mixed together and re-served to me. My cold side was not returned to the table. Given the price point this was not acceptable. The manager was responsive and gave us a reasonable discount so I would definitely try it again as the flavors were generally good. Our waiter was very nice -- it seemed to me that he didn't have proper training re how to handle the situation. The spot is a great location and fun atmosphere.Special Features:
- Always GoodBette55VIPDined on 7/16/2014It's a very consistent menu so you know what you're going to get before you walk in. The wine list is wonderful and most of the food is very tastily prepared. My only complaint is that for a restaurant that reaches into the stratosphere of priciness, the service is somewhat off-handed and indifferent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SkierSkierDined on 7/4/2014What can we say? Fabulous food, service and ambiance. It is so hard to get into because it is so popular, but well worth waiting to get in!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tried to give it a 2nd chance.js2236VIPDined on 7/2/2014We decided to finally go back to New Sheridan after a disappointing experience last time, but unfortunately, this time wasn't much better. I will say that the food is very good, unfortunately the service is where this restaurant is lacking. The service is very slow and inattentive. We were seated outside, which we requested, and ordered a drink from the bar. Well, 25 minutes later after not having anyone come to our table or bring us our drinks, I went in to find out what happened. The manager apologized and the sent someone to our table right away. The service quickly improved and the food was very good but our initial experience was hard to overcome. Sorry New Sheridan Chop House, we have given you 2 chances and neither one impressed us.Special Features:
- New Sheridan Chop HouseHottubGirlDined on 6/22/2014This was our 2nd time dining at this restaurant and it won't be our last. The food was wonderful, wine list extensive, and the service fantastic. Highly recommend for dinner and special occasions but also nice bar atmosphere.Special Features:
- Perfect for 30th Anniversary DinnerNoyesFamDined on 6/15/2014Beautiful restaurant in the historic New Sheridan hotel- a special treat to celebrate Father's Day and our 30th anniversary--- and lived up to our expectations. We were seated at a corner table for two in the window over looking the outdoor dinning. Our waiter, Travers, was attentive but not overly friendly, which we prefer. Although he wasn't that knowledgeable about the wine we were interested in, he consulted with someone else who picked out a Seghisio Zinfandel, which was perfect with my husband's bone in rib-eye. (However, we thought it a bit odd that one had to pay extra for the sauce to go with one's steak!) I had a black bass which was outstanding. While this is may be a splurge, for most, it is worth it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The restaurant was closedOpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 4/12/2014The restaurant was closed for the season. Why was I allowed to make a reservation for a restaurant that was not open?I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chop House SteaksnotafoodieDined on 4/3/2014Always prepared perfectly. Great staff , very friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always consistent MusselsPrincessFionaDined on 4/3/2014Always consistent Mussels were outstanding! From beginning to end it was great!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, but expected better.TheSoupNaziDined on 3/29/2014With a bottle of wine, apps, deserts, etc. we often spend north of $300 for dinner. Here, we spent under $100. We were in early on Sunday, and although it was empty, the hostess seated us at the worst table in the center back. Poor start, so we only ordered drinks instead of a bottle. A single older lady who walked in after us and spent all of $30 on a drink and appetizer was seated by the window? We shortly found ourselves among several larger parties with young children and babies, so we just ordered entrees. They were fine, but nothing special. As the restaurant filled, the noise level became substantial. Think the building is more of a draw than the food or service here. Can't see going back with all the other options in town.
- Deserves the hypeDollyVIPDined on 3/11/2014They hit it just right for my party of 4! All good. Nice telluride experience.Special Features:
- a classicHGElliotVIPDined on 3/8/2014worth a visit any time you're in T Ride- perf for a special night out!Special Features:
- Not worth the pricearcheplanDined on 3/8/2014Table not ready on time. Wine overpriced. Poor service.Special Features:
- Americana gem...WildOrchidDined on 3/8/2014We ate in the Americana room and had a fantastic meal. We all swooned over the piping hot sourdough bread and butter. The salads were nicely dressed and very fresh. The filet and bone-in ribeye steaks were perfectly cooked and the sides, brussels and corn casserole, were very tasty. The horseradish sauce was nicely spiced. We'll become regulars.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Sheridan Chop HouseHottubGirlDined on 3/6/2014Despite many trips to Telluride, this was the first time dining at the Chop House and it did not disappoint. The steaks were fabulous. Probably the best meal we had the entire trip!Special Features:
- Best filet ever!FoodloverVIPDined on 3/6/2014Food is top quality. Johnny was a fantastic waiter!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Chop House DinnernotafoodieDined on 3/5/2014The New Sheridan Chop House always does a great job of preparing steaks as requested. The Turn of the Century Charm is authentic and the staff is Always friendly.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wildly expensiveOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/5/2014This restaurant has increased its prices with a decrease in food quality since we have been coming here over the past couple years. Everything is a la carte. A 4 oz filet mignon is $49 just for the meat alone. Not worth it!
- Telluride GemBigDDined on 3/3/2014My husband and I are not steak house devotees, but did not want to miss this wonderfully colorful old hotel restaurant. It truly lives up to its fame and I would recommend the experience. We actually had to send our steak back because it was quite gristly, but there was no question from our waiter and we were delivered another promptly that was good. The wait staff is excellent and the busy atmosphere is contagious!Special Features:
- Best restaurant in town!EatSleepFlyDined on 3/2/2014The hostess kindly accommodated us with a corner table near the window. The place was bustling with small and large groups, all having a great time. Our waiter was adorable, friendly and efficient. He kept us updated on the Oscar results throughout our stay. The sea scallops were the best I've had and the elk loin was fabulous! Al followed by a lovely cheese course. My friend and I agreed that in the four nights that we dined at "the best" restaurants in Telluride, the Chop House stood head and shoulders above the rest...exceeded all in service, ambiance and food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Only downtown Steakhouse.DownhomeDinningDined on 2/26/2014Only downtown Steakhouse. The food, service was good but not great for the price. The dining room area was very nice however the tables were very close together.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Friday NightDakotaDined on 2/21/2014Have eaten here many times, but attention to detail was missing. Forgot to send the appetizer. Steaks were all cooked the same no matter how they were ordered. The waiter although pleasant, was to busy having conversations at other tables rather than focusing on his job.Special Features:
- Tracy's birthdayWoodyDined on 2/12/2014Tracy had the filet which came highly recommended and it proved worthy of mention. I opted for the buffalo ribeye loin while cooked to perfection it was quite tough for my palette. I switched my buffalo for the New York strip which turned out extremely well. The proteins pared well with a Willamette valley Pino Noir.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- No moreCreteVIPDined on 2/7/2014This restaurant was a "must visit" for me anytime that I visit Telluride since my first trip there. Now 6 visits later, not so much. My very first experience with this restaurant was outstanding, but the food and service degraded over the last two years in my opinion. Most recently, the $50 "special" dry aged bone in New York strip was one of the worst cuts of meat I've had at any steakhouse ( Outback included). Service was poor....an overall disappointing experience for a former fan and advocate. Never againSpecial Features:
- A Telluride Favorite!OpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 1/24/2014The place to be - always consistently good. Ray Farnsworth makes sure the place runs flawlessly.Special Features:
- Amazing!RubaVIPDined on 1/13/2014Our party of four was seated in a booth as requested on Open Table. Our waiter was awesome, our food so very good-my favorite place in Telluride! I always get mussels here and am never disappointed! Kale salad was quite tasty. My companions had the steak and enjoyed it very much! Instead if dessert I had a cocktail - Flatliner-very yummy!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful!JennDined on 1/11/2014We had an amazing experience. Wonderful food, excellent service, and fantastic ambiance. We will be back!Special Features: