New Mill Restaurant
493 South End Road
Plantsville, CT 06479Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
New Mill Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.newmillrestaurant.net/
- Phone: 8606200300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bob Martucci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a dining room for up to 80 guests for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: David Jenkins 8606200300
- Entertainment: Wide screen TV's in bar.
A word from New Mill Restaurant
Plantsville's well-known Old Mill is now New Mill Restaurant, featuring the culinary talents of its new Executive Chef, Bob Martucci. This lovely 1737 cider mill has been a Connecticut favorite for many years, and has now completely renovated by its owners, Chris and Michelle Calvanese. Menu specialties include fresh-only seafood and raw bar selections, "chop house" Angus steaks, and homemade pastas and desserts. An expanded wine list and a large sociable bar round out the new offering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
New Mill Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
62 reviews since May 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (37)neighborhood gem (28)good for groups (21)romantic (21)fit for foodies (21)vibrant bar scene (19)scenic view (14)hot spot (9)notable wine list (8)great for lunch (7)great for outdoor dining (5)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (3)Show More
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014We haven't been to the New Mill in some time and were pleasantly surprised that they upped their game a notch. Food and service was five-star.Special Features:
- Last minute planshaipalDined on 9/14/2014We hadn't seen our friends for a few months and we were trying to find a place that was equal distance to each other. Low and behold we found this great place that was open on a Sunday and had great food and service. This was really a great find and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CliffSueDined on 8/26/2014Service and food was great. It was our anniversary and I asked for a quiet table. The table we were given couldn't have been better. It was quiet and romantic. Thank You. It was a great night!Special Features:
- Always satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We keep the New Mill for special occasions. The food is great with good portions. We have always found the staff friendly and efficient. The ability to make our reservations on Open Table is a definite plus Keep up the great work.Special Features:
- ExcellentDoreenDined on 8/16/2014We have never had a bad meal at the New Mill. We love the food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Needs tweeking to make more specialRayMDined on 8/16/2014Large portions. Entres had good flavor. Rolls very good. A bit on the pricier side. Food presentation could be a little more creative. My tres leche cake was flavorful, but a bit drier than it should have been for that type of dessert. Water had an off taste.Special Features:
- IlPapaDined on 8/10/2014Great Service, nice atmosphere, quality food and drinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againFoodDocVIPDined on 8/3/2014Two close friends arrived in CT from Oregon and wanted a great meal. On their list was fresh fish and steak with an Italian flair. The New Mill came to mind immediately. Veal meatballs to beet salad on the way to shrimp/chicken piccata and continuing on to tartufo, there was no disappointment. They (we) enjoyed every bite. They are traveling back to Oregon but will carry the memory of CT's New Mill all the way.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Food was good and had great presentation. My wife especially enjoyed the salmon. The lobster encrusted tilapia was good. This was our first visit and we sat at a 1/2 booth but a better location would have been along the windows looking out at the garden. Our only criticism would be that the menu had a limited selection. Appeared that their specialty was steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodjerrytwotwoDined on 7/20/2014All the food was very good and the portions was large but the service was a little slow.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I took my wife here for our three year anniversary. Wonderful atmosphere, rustic elegance. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dellieDined on 7/13/2014there were four of us and we all loved it....Food was so delicious and they give you a great portion ..the men had steaks and they said it was one of the best. I had pasta dish that was so so tasty. We have been there before and always bring our friends there.Great waitress also and it is just a real cozy place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and overratedcavyDined on 7/1/2014I had chicken parm for dinner. It was at most adequate. And all the entrees were overpriced! My friends and I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Great ServiceMindyTDined on 6/27/2014We went looking for outdoor dining, but the pond was a little less than beautiful. It was still a gorgeous night and very nice sitting outside. We will return for sure. The service and food was all amazing!Special Features:
- CTfoodieorganicfoodloverDined on 6/25/2014We had great expectations for this restaurant after a memorable dinner a few years ago. The jungle theme was odd and forsythia flowers on the bar ceiling? This is an old mill. The shining star was our server Michelle who constantly checked on us. The food was not dreadful but for the prices, mundane. The spiedini was a fried blob of overcooked, pieces of tasteless crust, a big hunk of melted cheese with a flavorless pink sauce. The shrimp appetizer was served on a very small plate, with a bit of lettuce good but difficult to eat. The house salad served on small plates, coated with a mayo? based balsamic dressing, not a vinaigrette. The fresh lettuce, veggies lost. The filet (very good) and the veal shank (ok) were marred by terrible sides.
- The New Milltnm1Dined on 6/20/2014We started our meal off with salads, which were both very good. The bread was delicious, although we asked for more and never received it. The cavatelli was fantastic, and enough for 2. My husband ordered the penne alla vodka which was not as flavorful as we would have expected. Overall, the food was good, and slightly better then the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Went here for my boyfriend's birthday. We went last year for the first time and were both quite impressed. Not so much this year. Would I go back again?..probably. I understand that sometimes restaurants have 'off' nights. My boyfriend and I are excellent cooks and are very critical of our meals when we go out. His steak was very good (his words) and my pasta dish was also very good. The Caesar Salad was very, very bland; no taste. I would not order that again unless they change their dressing recipe. A restaurant of this caliber should be creating a fresh authentic Caesar Salad Dressing using real anchovies. The service was excellent, though the waitress misunderstood and gave wrong info about the broccoli rabe being served with the steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousDoreenDined on 6/18/2014We are never disappointed in the food, service,and drink A great place to eatSpecial Features:
- The place is always very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I frequently go to New Mill and the food is very good. Every time l have gone it is consistent the service and food. The staff are always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome all around.KmoqDined on 6/7/2014Great food, atmosphere and service! Would recommend this restaurant for a group, special occasion or romantic dinner. The restaurant is beautifully decorated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its been better...GeoffDined on 6/7/2014Nice ambiance, service is okay, not bad, not great. The food leaves much to be desired. Uninspiring, everything seems to be served on mashed potatoes. Little flavor. My steak was charred on the outside and okay on the inside, but was HUGE. more than any one human being can eat in one sitting. Food is just dullSpecial Features:
- 3.5 starsmrsthingDined on 6/6/2014Service here was quick but just right. We had time to finish each course before the next one came. It was noisy enough that I had to raise my voice to talk with my husband. Lots of kids, a number of large parties, so maybe this wasn't a characteristic night. We were in a back dining room, but the noise from the bar still spilled into the space. The food was pretty good. The bread was fantastic. I had the beet salad, and beets tasted a bit...off, but I ate them anyway, and lived to tell the tale (didn't tell the waitress). My Penne ala Vodka was tasty and the serving size was generous. My husband's wasabi salmon was cooked properly and the wasabi was genuinely hot. We didn't get appetizers, alcohol, or dessert, so I can't comment on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousLakeGirlDined on 6/1/2014We have eaten at this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great meal, again.FoodDocVIPDined on 5/31/2014This night we brought two close friends who enjoy good food and drink. All of us had a great time and enjoyed our dishes. There was a slight error in preparation of two drinks, which was corrected cheerfully and quickly. Our friends will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I had salmon and it was fantastic. It was my first time having salmon. Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eatsprincessp66Dined on 5/31/2014The specials are extraordinary! I really enjoy the diverse selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/22/2014It was our 43rd anniversary. Our first date was at the Old Mill and we have returned there many times. Now that the restaurant is the New Mill, we continue to go there and have never been disappointed. Food is always delicious, service excellent. Enjoyed being able to make reservations on line. Have brought friends there, as many as 10, and the service and food were the same good quality. Overall, it is one of our favorite places to go for a special dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 429 reviews are from the New Mill Restaurant reviews archive.
- Wonderful timeFoodDocVIPDined on 5/18/2014The veal osso bucco and sole were to perfection. Appetizer to salad to main course, the service was timely and professional. Great foodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FoxerDined on 5/17/2014Food was good but was ruined as we were seated between 2 larger groups, one of which you would thought they owned the place by the way they carried on for all to see and hear.Special Features:
- new millgoodeatsDined on 5/17/2014Food was excellent. Service above average. Would definitely come again.newn.nSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Just OkDateNiteDined on 5/16/2014We had not been to the resturant in over a deckade and though we'd give it another shot after reading the reviews and always seeing the parking lot packed. Well, we were not impressed. The food was just Ok and the service was subpar. You can get much better food and service elsewhere for less money, so we won't be back...and this time we don't need another deckade to confirm this! Hope this review helps.
- More expensive than advertisedVikkiJDined on 5/11/2014We went on Mother's Day with a party of 6. We were very disappointed to learn of the prefixed menu for the day with prices much higher than their normal selection. It put us in an awkward position of staying despite not wanting to pay that much....we will not be going back there again.Special Features:
- Very nice anniversary dinnerMarilynDined on 5/4/2014The restaurant and bar can be boisterous and fun most evenings but a quiet Sunday night was optimum for our romantic dinner. The room overlooking the pond and mill wheel is just small enough to be almost cozy and our waitress let us take our time enjoying cocktails - a perfect dirty Smirnoff's martini and cosmopolitan. She let us savor the dinner, too, with no hovering or rushing. The rib steak special was perfectly prepared, as was the ginger wasabi wild salmon which was flavorful, moist and well complemented by the Asian spices. The best decaf (yes!) accompanied our dessert of crisp and smooth banana creme brûlée and dense, creamy, and not too sweet lemon cheesecake. We were there for two delightful hours and enjoyed every minute!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great placeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/3/2014great place,food great ,great service ,I will returnSpecial Features:
- New Mill RestaurantJazzySouthingtonDined on 4/29/2014We were seated right away. The service was excellent. The food outstanding. I finished everything on my plate. I would highly recommend going to the New Mill. The place is beautifully decorated. Top Notch!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- "on a Sunday Morning"BillDined on 4/20/2014We traveled 100miles to eat a Sunday meal-good food-good service-pleasant suroundings-not cheap-plenty of parking available-A very large restaurant but divided up very nicely. A very well run eatery We will recommend & we will returnSpecial Features:
- Missed the MarkGeoffDined on 4/19/2014My wife and I are goodies, and were out on date night. We both picked the specials (we normally do), but what came back was not well prepared or thought out. My steak was supposed to be medium, but was burned and very well done - not at all juicy. At first cut it seemed okay, but as I got nearer the ends it was pretty dry. My wife's fish was okay, but everything was served over mashed potatoes, which was bland and not the healthiest. My meal came with roasted potatoes, but again cooked too much so they were hard. Mine came with Broccoli Rob, but also a bit bland. Overall not good food preparation or choices for a special meal. Service was good, and the restaurant is beautiful. Hopefully they can pick up the game.Special Features:
- Always consistently superb!OpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/29/2014This was probably our third visit and it just seems to get better and better! Everything single item ordered was excellent and our waiter was the best!! We will definitely be back and not wait so long between visits.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First Time DinerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 3/27/2014Reservation was kept. Asked for a Booth or good table since it was a special occasion. Was given a Booth which had I known the location I would not have asked for. The reason very drafty and right next to a group of diners that were exuberant! The service was excellent and the food was very good and the presentation was great. Would definitely eat here again and recommend to others.Special Features:
- Very NicecindyDined on 3/23/2014We went for my sons 26th birthday and the food was wonderful and so was the atmosphire.Special Features: