New Mill Restaurant
493 South End Road
Plantsville, CT 06479Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $30 and under
New Mill Restaurant
- Dining Style: Fine Dining
- Website: http://www.newmillrestaurant.net/
- Phone: (860) 620-0300
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Thursday: 5:00pm - 9:00pm, Friday - Saturday: 5:00pm - 10:00pm, Sunday: 4:00pm - 8:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Steak, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Bob Martucci
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Entertainment, Fireplace, Full Bar, Late Night, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Private Room, Takeout, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Private Party Facilities: We offer a dining room for up to 80 guests for private dining.
- Private Party Contact: David Jenkins 8606200300
- Entertainment: Wide screen TV's in bar.
A word from New Mill Restaurant
Plantsville's well-known Old Mill is now New Mill Restaurant, featuring the culinary talents of its new Executive Chef, Bob Martucci. This lovely 1737 cider mill has been a Connecticut favorite for many years, and has now completely renovated by its owners, Chris and Michelle Calvanese. Menu specialties include fresh-only seafood and raw bar selections, "chop house" Angus steaks, and homemade pastas and desserts. An expanded wine list and a large sociable bar round out the new offering.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
New Mill Restaurant - Best Restaurants in Plantsville ›
New Mill Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
61 reviews since July 30, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
special occasion (35)neighborhood gem (27)fit for foodies (21)romantic (21)vibrant bar scene (21)good for groups (21)scenic view (12)hot spot (11)notable wine list (10)great for lunch (5)late-night find (4)great for outdoor dining (3)kid-friendly (2)great for brunch (1)Show More
- Enjoyable as alwaysFoodDocVIPDined on 11/15/2014The veal osso buco was prepared perfectly. I requested a change in the standard plate preparation by wanting it placed on a bed of cavatelli. They fulfilled this request without hesitation. The salmon was enjoyed by the remaining quests. If you want a good meal, responsive service and a nice environmnent, look no further.Special Features:
- birthday dinnerzip349Dined on 11/15/2014Never a bad meal. The ambiance is always perfect and the service is always top notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/15/2014Music was too loud and inappropriate for romantic, intimate dining. Our server talked very fast and was difficult to understand. Food was prepared and presented well, as well as being delicious. Bread was superb.Special Features:
- Wonderful dining experienceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 11/12/2014We found New Mill Restaurant to be a comfortable and enjoyable dining experience. I made special arrangements through OpenTable for special birthday requests and when we arrived everything was ready for us. Food is fantastic and both wait staff and management are wonderful. We highly recommend New Mill Restaurant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- AwesomeCSP050Dined on 11/1/2014Restaurant was excellent food outstanding service above are worth going rather large restaurant good for parties chance enough about wasabi salmon was out of this worldSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- **OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/31/2014Very good meal, I have been here several times and always enjoy the atmosphere, service and foodSpecial Features:
- SkyebellaDined on 10/25/2014We loved this place. The food and atmosphere. Our waiter was spot on, we want table 4 and Michael next time. My stinger was perfect and our waiter made sure the bartender knew I loved it. Loved the energy there. All the people who worked here take their job seriously which made our night a pleasure especially in a business that, it seems, has totally lost it's way. We'll be back for sure during Christmas since we live a distance away and can't go often. Only one negative, the dessert (tres leches) seemed frozen and dry, too dense.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- What a find!RLJRDined on 10/16/2014Thanks to friendly, attentive service, New Mill Restaurant is a gem. The dishes are tasty, the portions sizable, and the prices are reasonable. We look forward to returning again soon.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Consistently Great...VinceMazzDined on 10/11/2014I have dined in the New Mill many times over the last 8 or so years and it's been consistently great as I've always had wonderful service and delicious food. Generally speaking, the specials for the evening are well-prepared and tasty but you can't go wrong with any of the standard menu items including the variety of pasta dishes. The wine list is solid but if you don't need a full bottle, their choice of house wines sold by the glass is also solid. This restaurant features a large bar area which is very comfortable to have some appetizers and beverages with friends or even a nice spot to enjoy your full meal. This is a great place to visit during Christmas time as they decorate the restaurant in a very festive and tasteful manner.Special Features:
- satisf13dOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/5/2014Our party (4) had a great time at The New Mill. We enjoyed wine and dinner that was prepared and presented expertly by your staff. Everything was delicious, start to finish. We will return in the future.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good, not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 10/4/2014This was our 2nd time at the restaurant. This time we had a table that was next to a dividing wall and close to another table that had 4 loud old people. Eh. Our experience was good but we felt it lacked that special something. Our 1st visit was nice and evenly paced. The 2nd felt like they wanted the table to get used again. I actually had to ask for more time. It was OK. I ordered a medium/rare steak and got rare/raw one. It could've been cooked a little more. If I'm going to order a steak at a restaurant I want it cooked better than how I would cook it. Also, they didn't have a particular type of liquer that was on the menu. I'll go again but this visit didn't come close to our impeccable first experience that happened a few yrs earlierSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Food tastyMindDined on 9/27/2014We had excellent main dishes and salads, only issue was bit of disorganization from kitchen or perhaps way wait staff organized in teams. Husband served wrong meal and friends dessert described was not as delivered. Would go again but this probably is area that needs work to bring restaurant to next level, considering prices of meals.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Steven venezianoVenzerDined on 9/25/2014The food was excellent, the only thing was we were shocked that there was no soup available. Seeing it was a cold week, you should have had one or two soups available.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent Food, Poor ServiceItaliangirlDined on 9/20/2014Went on a Saturday night, had an 8:30 rez, thought we would be safe as it was later. No one came to our table for a good 10 minutes. Finally, we were welcomed and given some water. Our waitress seemed like she was too busy to come over, when she finally appeared to take our drink order, there was no apology for the wait. Food was very good and came out promptly, I waited a while for anyone to offer me a second glass of wine and my husband had to flag down the server.
- Loved it!OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 9/17/2014We haven't been to the New Mill in some time and were pleasantly surprised that they upped their game a notch. Food and service was five-star.Special Features:
- Last minute planshaipalDined on 9/14/2014We hadn't seen our friends for a few months and we were trying to find a place that was equal distance to each other. Low and behold we found this great place that was open on a Sunday and had great food and service. This was really a great find and we will be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- CliffSueDined on 8/26/2014Service and food was great. It was our anniversary and I asked for a quiet table. The table we were given couldn't have been better. It was quiet and romantic. Thank You. It was a great night!Special Features:
- Always satisfiedOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 8/24/2014We keep the New Mill for special occasions. The food is great with good portions. We have always found the staff friendly and efficient. The ability to make our reservations on Open Table is a definite plus Keep up the great work.Special Features:
- ExcellentDoreenDined on 8/16/2014We have never had a bad meal at the New Mill. We love the food and serviceSpecial Features:
- Needs tweeking to make more specialRayMDined on 8/16/2014Large portions. Entres had good flavor. Rolls very good. A bit on the pricier side. Food presentation could be a little more creative. My tres leche cake was flavorful, but a bit drier than it should have been for that type of dessert. Water had an off taste.Special Features:
- IlPapaDined on 8/10/2014Great Service, nice atmosphere, quality food and drinkSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Back againFoodDocVIPDined on 8/3/2014Two close friends arrived in CT from Oregon and wanted a great meal. On their list was fresh fish and steak with an Italian flair. The New Mill came to mind immediately. Veal meatballs to beet salad on the way to shrimp/chicken piccata and continuing on to tartufo, there was no disappointment. They (we) enjoyed every bite. They are traveling back to Oregon but will carry the memory of CT's New Mill all the way.Special Features:
- The following 448 reviews are from the New Mill Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/26/2014Food was good and had great presentation. My wife especially enjoyed the salmon. The lobster encrusted tilapia was good. This was our first visit and we sat at a 1/2 booth but a better location would have been along the windows looking out at the garden. Our only criticism would be that the menu had a limited selection. Appeared that their specialty was steaks.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Very GoodjerrytwotwoDined on 7/20/2014All the food was very good and the portions was large but the service was a little slow.Special Features:
- Great place!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/16/2014I took my wife here for our three year anniversary. Wonderful atmosphere, rustic elegance. Great food!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- dellieDined on 7/13/2014there were four of us and we all loved it....Food was so delicious and they give you a great portion ..the men had steaks and they said it was one of the best. I had pasta dish that was so so tasty. We have been there before and always bring our friends there.Great waitress also and it is just a real cozy place to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Over priced and overratedcavyDined on 7/1/2014I had chicken parm for dinner. It was at most adequate. And all the entrees were overpriced! My friends and I will not be returning.Special Features:
- Great ServiceMindyTDined on 6/27/2014We went looking for outdoor dining, but the pond was a little less than beautiful. It was still a gorgeous night and very nice sitting outside. We will return for sure. The service and food was all amazing!Special Features:
- CTfoodieorganicfoodloverDined on 6/25/2014We had great expectations for this restaurant after a memorable dinner a few years ago. The jungle theme was odd and forsythia flowers on the bar ceiling? This is an old mill. The shining star was our server Michelle who constantly checked on us. The food was not dreadful but for the prices, mundane. The spiedini was a fried blob of overcooked, pieces of tasteless crust, a big hunk of melted cheese with a flavorless pink sauce. The shrimp appetizer was served on a very small plate, with a bit of lettuce good but difficult to eat. The house salad served on small plates, coated with a mayo? based balsamic dressing, not a vinaigrette. The fresh lettuce, veggies lost. The filet (very good) and the veal shank (ok) were marred by terrible sides.
- The New Milltnm1Dined on 6/20/2014We started our meal off with salads, which were both very good. The bread was delicious, although we asked for more and never received it. The cavatelli was fantastic, and enough for 2. My husband ordered the penne alla vodka which was not as flavorful as we would have expected. Overall, the food was good, and slightly better then the service.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/20/2014Went here for my boyfriend's birthday. We went last year for the first time and were both quite impressed. Not so much this year. Would I go back again?..probably. I understand that sometimes restaurants have 'off' nights. My boyfriend and I are excellent cooks and are very critical of our meals when we go out. His steak was very good (his words) and my pasta dish was also very good. The Caesar Salad was very, very bland; no taste. I would not order that again unless they change their dressing recipe. A restaurant of this caliber should be creating a fresh authentic Caesar Salad Dressing using real anchovies. The service was excellent, though the waitress misunderstood and gave wrong info about the broccoli rabe being served with the steakSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FabulousDoreenDined on 6/18/2014We are never disappointed in the food, service,and drink A great place to eatSpecial Features:
- The place is always very goodOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/13/2014I frequently go to New Mill and the food is very good. Every time l have gone it is consistent the service and food. The staff are always pleasant.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Awesome all around.KmoqDined on 6/7/2014Great food, atmosphere and service! Would recommend this restaurant for a group, special occasion or romantic dinner. The restaurant is beautifully decorated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Its been better...GeoffDined on 6/7/2014Nice ambiance, service is okay, not bad, not great. The food leaves much to be desired. Uninspiring, everything seems to be served on mashed potatoes. Little flavor. My steak was charred on the outside and okay on the inside, but was HUGE. more than any one human being can eat in one sitting. Food is just dullSpecial Features:
- 3.5 starsmrsthingDined on 6/6/2014Service here was quick but just right. We had time to finish each course before the next one came. It was noisy enough that I had to raise my voice to talk with my husband. Lots of kids, a number of large parties, so maybe this wasn't a characteristic night. We were in a back dining room, but the noise from the bar still spilled into the space. The food was pretty good. The bread was fantastic. I had the beet salad, and beets tasted a bit...off, but I ate them anyway, and lived to tell the tale (didn't tell the waitress). My Penne ala Vodka was tasty and the serving size was generous. My husband's wasabi salmon was cooked properly and the wasabi was genuinely hot. We didn't get appetizers, alcohol, or dessert, so I can't comment on that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- ScrumptiousLakeGirlDined on 6/1/2014We have eaten at this restaurant several times and have never been disappointed.Special Features:
- Great meal, again.FoodDocVIPDined on 5/31/2014This night we brought two close friends who enjoy good food and drink. All of us had a great time and enjoyed our dishes. There was a slight error in preparation of two drinks, which was corrected cheerfully and quickly. Our friends will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 5/31/2014I had salmon and it was fantastic. It was my first time having salmon. Just great.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great eatsprincessp66Dined on 5/31/2014The specials are extraordinary! I really enjoy the diverse selection.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.