2317 Calvert St. NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newheightsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: (202) 234-4110
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5 pm - 10 pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:30pm - Close
Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Takeshi Nishikawa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Catering: Contempory American Cuisine by chef Takeshi Nishikawa. Available on request.
- Private Party Facilities: Special banquet menus and semi private dining space available.
- Private Party Contact: Kavita Singh 2022344110x
- Special Events: Private Dining room and conference space available. For more information contact Kavita Singh at 202-234-4110
A word from New Heights
New Heights consistently features innovative New American cuisine. Locals, from Presidents and well-known dignitaries to international travelers, return time after time. ZAGAT dished out top honors for the food, service, and stylish decor. The wine list receives the highest praise awarded by Wine Spectator and Restaurant Hospitality. The award winning architectural interior, original art adorning the walls, airy windows overlooking Washington DC’s scenic Rock Creek Park and dramatic floral arrangements create a perfect stylish atmosphere to enjoy the award winning creative cuisine of New Heights. Intelligent and knowledgeable wait staff add to create a perfect dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
New Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
80 reviews since July 29, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (39)special occasion (29)romantic (18)great for outdoor dining (15)notable wine list (13)vibrant bar scene (12)scenic view (11)good for groups (11)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (2)hot spot (2)Show More
- a place to enjoy good foodgratefulDined on 1/18/2014The raw seafood was expertly prepared and beautifully presented. We had meat courses of venison and osso bucco, and they were delicious as well. The cheeses in the cheese course were all local and regional cheeses, served at room temperature. The wine list was complete and our choice of wines met expectations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice to Return ToAloysiousDined on 1/4/2014Hadn't been for many years, so thought we'd revisit and were very satisfied. Had read mixed reviews, so were somewhat skeptical, but we could not find fault with service, food, ambience. High praise for the veal Osso Bucco. Enjoyed the complimentary offerings from the chef at both the start and finish of the meal.Special Features:
- An old favorite gets staleMairzyDoatsDined on 1/4/2014My partner and I have lived in the DC area since 1986. New Heights has been our tried-and-true choice for great food and lovely ambience in the Woodley Park area. We ate there Saturday night, however, and were underwhelmed by the experience. The space is still beautiful, and service is still fine, but the cooking was uninspired. I had a scallops entree that had brussels sprouts in it. The scallops seemed overcooked and the brussels sprouts seemed undercooked. Nothing was awful, but nothing had any of the five foodies at our table oohing and ahhing and passing plates around for taste bites either. Seems to me chef Ron Tanaka's replacement in the kitchen hasn't yet figured out how to fill his big shoes. I hope that changes soon.
- New Year's DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 12/31/2013A group of friends and myself went here for new years dinner. The service was excellent and the food was cooked perfectly. This was by far the best rack of lamb I've ever had. The employees were very involved in making sure we enjoyed ourselves. We spent nearly 3 hours dining on four courses and never felt rushed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I had the grouper which wasOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 12/31/2013I had the grouper which was overwhelmed by the Brussels sprouts. My wife had the lobster which was excellent. Mushroom soup and foie gras were also excellent.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The entire dining experiencefoodieVIPDined on 12/30/2013The entire dining experience was wonderful, wonderful. Umbi continues to strive for excellence in every facet of a restaurant experience. Congratulations!I would recommend this to a friend.
- Christmas EveOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 12/24/2013Another great dining experience at NH. Terrific for a special occasion.As always, our hosts were terrific --- Fred WoodworthSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, over-attentive staffOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/20/2013The food was excellent. Unique but plenty of selections for even the less adventurous diners to find something they'll enjoy. The service was good, but too intrusive. They interrupted us constantly in an effort to provide "good" service. If they can improve on that aspect, it would be an outstanding place for repeat visits.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not to Be RepeatedJLB1VIPDined on 12/15/2013Though we arrived on time, our table was given away to people who arrived with more guests than they had reserved. After being told that our table would be ready in five minutes for over a half hour, we were sat an uncomfortable triangular table through the first course. Our server told us that our meal would be comped for our inconvenience, but after she was berated by a manager in view of our table such that we knew what was being discussed, she came back and told us that only our first round of drinks were free. Not an experience I want to repeat.
- new heights is back!OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 12/14/2013after some not so good food and some great food at New Heights, it was good to discover good to great food again at New Heights! very nice little plates/appetizers! main courses of fish were delicious, wine suggestion by waiter was excellent as was the service. We live in the neighborhood so are glad to have a local excellent restaurant to walk to!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- How did this fall off my radar?GoodFriendsDinerDined on 12/14/2013Had a wonderful dinner, great wine (waiter recommended), delicious dessert. I am kicking myself for having not been going to New Heights on a regular basis. Haven't been in several years. Would be glad to go back next week, and the week after, and the week after that.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I have made reservations forOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/9/2013I have made reservations for the last 10 years at this restaurant. sometimes it is good and sometimes not. I use it because it is convenient for my guests but it is nothing special. the food is ok and very overpriced.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New HeightsAndymanm123VIPDined on 12/7/2013Overall still a very nice restaurant in Woodley ParkSpecial Features:
- Food was a disappointmentMarkSKDined on 11/23/2013The restaurant design and ambiance is outstanding as is the service. Unfortunately the food disappointed — particularly for the price.
- Wonderful food and creative drinksSeattletravelerVIPDined on 11/22/2013Not only was the food excellent but the portions were just right, not too large, and the cost was not outrageous. I sat at the bar and enjoyed the experience. The creative drinks, especially gin drinks, was very impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fell short of expectationsaycemanDined on 11/22/2013i had read many good things about new heights which led to me putting it on the list when i visited DC. unfortunately, the food was just OK. a number of the dishes that should have been hot were served warm or cold. this may be due in part to the lax service, which was well meaning but oddly unprofessional. while i could certainly sense the creativity in the kitchen (the gin and cocktail menu alone is one of a kind) at least on this visit they were unable to execute on their vision.
- OK but not as wonderful as expectedalpwalkerDined on 11/22/2013The food was nicely done but not exceptional. The service was earnest but a bit clumsy. For example, they brought the hot fettucine appetizers with poached egg, which three of us had ordered, several minutes *before* the cold appetizers that the others in the party had ordered. Consequently, the delicate hot appetizers were getting cold while we waited politely for other members of the party to be served. The server referred to one entree we ordered as "the vegetarian," and we had to figure out that he meant the pasta. Clearly the staff meant well and was attentive; just a bit ham-handed.
- Gin bar with house made tonics,OpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/13/2013Gin bar with house made tonics, limited menu but all items were well preparedSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Dinner near Marriott Wardmanbrb905Dined on 11/11/2013This is a nice place for dinner if you are visiting or have a conference at either the Marriott Wardman or Omni Shoreham Hotels.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Marvelously quietgk324Dined on 11/10/2013Fantastic spot in Woodley Park--very good food, fantastic service, and best of all, quiet ambience where you can hear your date talk. Also appropriate for elderly parents who might have a hard time hearing. Excellent choice for special occasions. Would highly recommend.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful findCleoVIPDined on 11/9/2013Excellent food and service. Our server's recommendations were right on! Great girls nite out catching up with a college pal. Beet and feta salad was brilliant. Poached cod dish was delish and light even with black rice. Love this place!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- I guess I walked in disappointed.OpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 11/9/2013I guess I walked in disappointed. We used Open Table to book the restaurant and the earliest availability was 7 PM. Well half our party arrived early at 6:30 and, finding no room at the bar, we quickly seated in a 1/2 empty dining room. This while the rest of us cooled our heels at the nearby Marriott. Aside from that, have the fettuccine. It's great. The vension was disappointing. The chicken entree was a hit. Desserts were excellent.
- Largely DisappointingOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 11/7/2013The food was overpriced with very small portions. The service was lack luster -- we waited quite a time at the entrance. Upscale but without a great deal that was interesting or different to justify the high prcies.Special Features:
- The evening started out greatoutoftownerDined on 10/26/2013The evening started out great but as the restaurant got busier the service level dropped. Food was interesting and good. Highlight was the gin menu. Over all, a fun place to go but I probably wouldn't go backSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GemTommy13VIPDined on 10/22/2013New Heights is one of our favorite restaurants. Service is always pleasant and attentive. The drinks, including wines allow for good choices. Tuesday night, however, was absolutely delightful. The 63* fettuccine with egg was a tasty teaser for the pork tenderloin sous vide. Cooked medium and medium-well, each was tender, flavorful, and downright superb with small chunks of sweet potato, a type of cabbage/sauerkraut, a few thinly crisped potatoes which were more like small, delicate chips, and perhaps small pieces of fig. My husband and I were satiated with the richness of the meal. Irish Coffee and cappuccinos rounded out the meal. What a meal!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful from start to finishNkssVIPDined on 10/19/2013I haven't enjoyed a meal so much in some time. Everything was luscious and melty in the most scrumptious way, from the burrata amuse bouche, to the amazing buttermilk biscuits in the bread basket, to the roast chicken breast over gnocchi, to the cheesecake dessert. And my gin and tonic was custom-built (after consults with the bartender and chef) to match my meal. I will definitely be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nothing positiveDCsbbDined on 10/18/2013I was really disappointed with my overall experience. The server was really standoffish. Her demeanor was unfriendly. The cheese on the salad was frozen, which it was explained to us was on purpose, but it was just unpleasant. The scallops were good sized but there were approximately 3 tiny Brussels Sprouts. I left hungry and unhappy.
- We enjoyed our meals! TheopalDined on 10/8/2013We enjoyed our meals! The pumpkin doughnut dessert was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Oldie but GoodieBalabustaVIPDined on 10/5/2013Started out with a cocktail at the bar where they make their own tonics. The bartender was fabulous as were the drinks! We then went upstairs to dine and had lots of great choices. Best fried green tomatoes I have eaten in the area ever and really enjoyed the heirloom tomato and burrata appetizer. It struck the right balance between tomatoes and burrata. The black cod was perfectly cooked too. The desserts creations were fabulous. Really New Heights is not a restaurant to be missed.Special Features:
- New Heights has lost its lustercreativeaddictVIPDined on 10/5/2013Once an area 'best', but no longer unique. Our meal, intended to be special, was simply disappointing. Food was good, fresh and nicely prepared and presented, but remarkably uninspired, distinctly different from what once characterized dining here. Some portions were noticeably reduced in size, but not in price, another disappointment. Finally, open dysfunction among the server & bus staff this night left an odd taste: some ordered items were mis-delivered, & our server left our table in mid-conversation twice to chastise other staff attending to her other tables. As impersonal & aloof as I can recall experiencing in a restaurant, our server's blatant indifference only made our meals less palatable. New Heights now describes only the bill.
- Food good, service awfulNancyVIPDined on 10/4/2013We had little to complain about concerning the rib eye steak or black cod (a little salty). But the service was so bad it makes it unlikely I will return. We asked the server a question about the chicken and he went away and came back and answered a different question from the one we asked (and the answer to that one was already on the menu!). We also asked what one of the appetizers was and he said he had been away for a week and didn't know. (No prepping of wait staff before their shifts?) Then after we ordered a different server came over and asked who ordered the lamb. The answer: neither of us. It took asking twice to get the bread. And there were other examples. I live in the neighborhood and regret I can't recommend this place.
- Excellent food and service,EpicureVIPDined on 9/28/2013Excellent food and service, attention to the detail. Warm welcome by the owners. Outstanding Gin + home mad tonics list, great recommendations from the sever on how to pair the two. A real treat. We will be back,...many times.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Heights Lives Up to Its NameAllieGVIPDined on 9/27/2013We wanted a restaurant where we could have a real conversation (as in, hear each other!), with top-quality innovative food, good service, and at a reasonable price. We had all of that and more at New Heights. After an un-rushed, 3-hour meal, with invisible but attentive service, and course after course that delighted and inspired, we unanimously said we'd come back. This is a restaurant that understands the ritual of an unhurried sharing of good food and good conversation; it has bucked the trend of noisy, hectic dining pavilions where you walk away with your ears ringing. A gem!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Overall the food was deliciousfoodloverVIPDined on 9/20/2013Overall the food was delicious great flavors but my fish (Black Cod) was slightly undercooked.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding!ElaineVIPDined on 9/13/2013New Heights accommodated to the vegans in our party with imagination and flair. They served three different dishes which we could share and the food was both delicious and beautifully presented. This was an anniversary dinner and the special care with which we were treated made truly a special occasion. Thank you, New Heights!Special Features:
- Another delicious mealdccooksVIPDined on 9/9/2013We took some New York food lovers to the New Heights and they shared our enthusiasm for the meal. A very adult restaurant, it avoids the normal pitfalls of "In" dining so common in today's restaurants. A fun combo of some southern and new york flavors!Special Features:
- This has always been one ofOpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/7/2013This has always been one of our favorite restaurants in DC but we had not been in a while so we were so pleased to find that this still remains as one of our favorites. The new chef is remarkable in his inventive presentations and his choice of menu items. The crispy oysters are some of the best and not to be missed as is the fettuccine appetizer. Save room for dessert as the fig cheesecake is heavenly as is the Chocolate coffee bombe! Service is friendly and extremely helpful in descriptions of menu and knowledgeable regarding the wine list. If you are a gin enthusiast then their "gin joint" menu will not disappoint. This was a wonderful dining experience and we will be sure to return again.Special Features:
- A big disappointmentSunnyDined on 9/6/2013Over all experience was awful and very disappointing from service and food
- Lovely Restaurant - excellent foodSusanDined on 8/24/2013Enjoyed my birthday dinner very much. The food was beautifully presented. Came at appropriate intervals. Owner was extremely friendly and attentive. Corrected a minor problem we had. Taste was very good. Atmosphere elegant but not stuffy.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/23/2013We went for dinner at 8pm on Fri and event though there remained many empty seats near the window, we were place in a corner near the kitchen. It would have been a much beter experience if we had been seated at one of the many open tables by the window. We won't be back, even though the food was very good.