2317 Calvert St. NW
Washington, DC 20008Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.newheightsrestaurant.com/
- Phone: 2022344110x
- Hours of Operation:
Monday - Thursday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm
Friday - Saturday: 5:30pm - 10:30pm
Sunday: 5 pm - 10 pm
Monday - Sunday: 4:30pm - Close
Monday - Sunday: 5:00pm - Close
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Bar / Lounge / Bottle Service, American, Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Takeshi Nishikawa
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Smoking Area, View, Wine
- Catering: Contempory American Cuisine by chef Takeshi Nishikawa. Available on request.
- Private Party Facilities: Special banquet menus and semi private dining space available.
- Private Party Contact: Kavita Singh 2022344110x
- Special Events: Private Dining room and conference space available. For more information contact Kavita Singh at 202-234-4110
A word from New Heights
New Heights consistently features innovative New American cuisine. Locals, from Presidents and well-known dignitaries to international travelers, return time after time. ZAGAT dished out top honors for the food, service, and stylish decor. The wine list receives the highest praise awarded by Wine Spectator and Restaurant Hospitality. The award winning architectural interior, original art adorning the walls, airy windows overlooking Washington DC’s scenic Rock Creek Park and dramatic floral arrangements create a perfect stylish atmosphere to enjoy the award winning creative cuisine of New Heights. Intelligent and knowledgeable wait staff add to create a perfect dining experience.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
New Heights - Best Restaurants in Woodley Park ›
New Heights reviews from OpenTable diners
75 reviews since June 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (45)fit for foodies (41)special occasion (32)romantic (23)great for outdoor dining (22)vibrant bar scene (15)notable wine list (13)scenic view (13)good for groups (7)hot spot (7)late-night find (4)great for brunch (4)great for lunch (3)Show More
- A lovely night outTomCamDined on 9/20/2014We sat outside so the noise level does not relate to the inside of the restaurant. We both had seafood and it was first rate - scallops and haddock. Service was good - not rushed nor too slow. We have been there several times before though not for a few years and it appears the food has improved. I am surprised it is not included in the Washingtonian best restaurant listSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely experienceVirginiadinerVIPDined on 9/13/2014first time there after recommendation from friend. we will be back. Service is wonderful.Special Features:
- New Heights reaches new heights!ElaineVIPDined on 9/13/2014My husband and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at New Heights recently. It was outstanding. The staff went out of their way to ensure that our two sons, who are vegans, has delicious and beautifully presented dinners. My husband and I also had excellent meals. For a final sweet touch, the chef had written "Happy Anniversary" on our shared dessert plate. It was truly a memorable evening.Special Features:
- Great group dinnerToddVIPDined on 9/12/2014I had a dinner to arrange for 15-20 people, while we were attending a conference at the nearby Omni hotel. The restaurant couldn't have been more accommodating, helping me to create a 4-course menu and preselected wines. They also provided a sampler of desserts, and even menus with our group name printed on top. The food was excellent and the service was very attentive. The dinner was a big success!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always Top NotchDCGardenerDined on 9/12/2014The food, wine and service is always excellent. Considering how long they have been open, it's remarkable that the quality is still consistently high. It's also a good value for the price range -- you'll pay more at trendier restaurants and not get nearly as good a meal. We go about three times a year and always enjoy it. The interior reminds me of the restaurant at the now closed Simon Pearce in the Brandywine Valley. It's warm, relaxing and elegant without being trendy or pretentious.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2009VIPDined on 8/30/2014Was disappointed after reading other reviews. Service was very slow and inefficient. Portions were small and some dishes were not served as described.Special Features:
- Try a G&TOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 8/29/2014We took friends who were in town for a conference at the Shoreham. We all tried a gin & tonic with different gins (& tonics), and that was fun. The food was good and our waiter was very helpfulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great happy hourAudrey2Dined on 8/29/2014Lovely outdoor seating and friendly, knowledgable staff offered helpful advice, particularly regarding the extensive array of gin options.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite meal at New HeightsLoveVeganFoodDined on 8/16/2014My friends and I dined at New Heights on a Saturday night and we had a lovely experience. We started in the bar with gin cocktails and then moved upstairs into the comfortably elegant dining room. While my friends enjoyed a chicken and risotto dish and a scallop dish, the chef prepared a delicious, visually delightful vegan dish for me - chanterelles, beluga lentils, fingerling potatoes, tender broccoli. I was in heaven. For dessert, my friends enjoyed a delicate peanut butter cake and I had the passion fruit and coconut sorbets with fresh berries, a refreshingly sweet end to a wonderful meal. The owners of New Heights are gracious hosts, checking in on us to make sure everything was perfect.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- For those who like gin..........OpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 8/15/2014New Heights specializes in 60 different gins and 20+ tonics, many house made. The bartender is very knowledgeable and can mix excellent drinks using these very special ingredients. Food and service are excellent. The restaurant is cozy and very attractively designed with a wall of windows looking out over the city. A very special experience.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BostonphotobillVIPDined on 8/14/2014We had such a great experience the first night we went back the next. Food was just wonderful and inventive. The Chef is a young Asian fellow who we had the pleasure of meeting the second night. Chris and John and their back waiters are swift and efficient and funny. We made two requests for our return visit which were not on the menu ..Bill wanted a whole fish and I requested lamb. They did not disappoint! It is not fancy or frumpy. Just a great meal with great service. From the heirloom tomato and foie gras apps to the incredible deconstructed carbonara with fresh pasta. Definitely on our list if we get back to DC. Wish it were here in Boston!Special Features:
- Great DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/14/2014Food was excellent. Service very attentive. A nice friendly place. Definitely will go back again.Special Features:
- Still a "go to place".oldfartdinerVIPDined on 8/14/2014My wife and I have been going to New Heights periodically for over 20 years. Never have had a bad meal or a bad experience. A real gem that delivers every time. Umbi has created something special.
- Of all the gin joints...eat hereAnneDDined on 8/14/2014As a gin drinker I am often disappointed by the selection at a restaurant. New Heights, which specifically calls itself a "gin joint" promised to be the exception and it delivered. An extensive selection of gins coupled with our waiter's knowledge of those libations made choosing a gin I had never had a pleasant experience. Because we ate during restaurant week the menu was, as typical for this time, limited but our waiter assured us everything on the menu was available on their normal menu. Everything was flavorful and well prepared but the stand outs were the house made fettuccine with bacon and the soft boiled egg and the fried green tomatoes (to share).I would recommend this to a friend.
- ExquisitepaokansasVIPDined on 8/14/2014We didn't know it but it was restaurant week - 3 courses for $35. Not what we've planned. But the food was for a gourmand - terrific, with different tastes and each course a treat. We were trying to figure out to return before the special had ended.
- Second VisitFCRobVIPDined on 8/14/2014Second visit to New Heights. Food and service both were excellent. No complaints here.Special Features:
- A fine PlaceRecmanDined on 8/13/2014We had not been Herr for many years, but are happy we came back. The fish (arctic char) and scallops were very good, but perhaps a little rare for our taste- we trusted the chef. Appertisers were as advertised. Dessert good. A limited wine list, but well chosen, and priced fairly. Service was professional and personal, atball levels. Overall- a big, we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not good valueHKLandDined on 8/13/2014We went for a special dinner last night to New Heights. The decor is nice enough - a bit sterile. The service was excellent, our waitress couldn't have been nicer. But, overall either the price needs to be halved or the food needs to be doubled in quality. The flavors weren't flavorful, the spices weren't spicy, and the sweets weren't sweet enough. Seems like the chef must be tired. Too bad, I think it could be a great location and the owner seemed quite nice and engaged.
- Always satisfyingESMWCLVIPDined on 8/12/2014I have been to New Heights many times. The food is inventive and delicious. On this visit there was only the prix fixe restaurant week menu so the options were limited. However, the choices were varied, from lobster to steak and there is always a vegetarian option. I had an heirloom tomato salad that was outstanding and the rib-eye steak, also quite good. They have an overwhelmingly long list of gins, tonics and vermouth. I asked the bartender to invent a martini for me and the one she made from Old Raj gin was excellent. The owner and the hostess are warm and always welcoming.Special Features:
- good healthy foodFoodieVIPDined on 8/10/2014They gave many fish choices and intrresting veggies.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- This IS a gem!DrJohnVIPDined on 7/22/2014Why go to the zoo when there's a wonderful place at which to eat? The food, service, ambience is the BEST in the area. I've been going from day one and have NEVER been disappointed!Special Features:
- Portion SizeDianeVIPDined on 7/16/2014New Heights needs to learn that there is a happy medium. Portion sizes are much too small.Special Features:
- Awesome Birthday DinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/10/2014A very pleasant experience at New Heights from the signature cocktails to the strawberry roulade. The customer service is top notch and the staff know their way around the menu. Just ask and the staff can assist with recommendations/suggestions (fried oysters for sure). I can't wait to visit the bar in the future for a casual happy hour experience.
- great as usualRenaDined on 7/10/2014Overall favorite place to bring friends, family, or business acquaintances.
- mikeDined on 7/8/2014very inventive food and wine pairings. spectacular desertsSpecial Features:
- "The Gin Joint"ndirtDined on 6/18/2014The downstairs "neighborhood" bar is a true gem. Original drinks prepared by knowledgable people. Small, intimate and a great place to meet new people. A unique place and one to be visited and revisited. The upstairs restaurant is equally special. Enjoy drinks beforehand and then a special dinner upstairs - you will not be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- foodie00149Dined on 6/18/2014we used to eat at this restaurant thirty years ago. It has "grown" as we have. The extensive gin and tonic menu was fun and different and the food was delicious. It was expensive for the food we got but we had a nice long meal and didn't feel rushed to leave. It was a nice place to catch up with long time friends and the atmosphere was quiet enough to hear what they were saying across the table.. The décor and the tables are especially lovely- I love the wooden tables.Special Features:
- Excellent cooking and ingredientsHockeyPlayerDined on 6/17/2014Portions are like a small plates place but with large plate place prices.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- noisy outside but good foodluckyduckydogDined on 6/15/2014Service was just okay-on par with other D.C. restaurants, which is to say sub par. The atmosphere could have been good because we sat outside on a rare nice June night. But the dishes clanging next door at Open City was so distracting. They have a dish station next to New Heights' outdoor tables and they throw dishes in there all night. Extremely loud and distracting. The highlight was the food itself. I had the scallops and a white wine - delicious. Another downside, though, is the price. $25-30 for 3 scallops.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- among DC's bestbardophileDined on 6/7/2014New Heights is at the top of my list of DC restaurants, especially for special-occasion dining. The food is truly wonderful--lots of seafood (among other things) expertly prepared, quality rather than quantity, imaginative combinations of textures and flavors; the service is impeccable; and the tables are spaced so that quiet conversation is easy. It's upstairs with lots of windows, and it's right by Rock Creek Park, so that you feel you're dining amongst the tops of trees. A very special place.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DC visitkdtishDined on 6/6/2014We loved this restaurant recommended by our hotel. We went in not knowing what to expect and were more than pleased. The food was delicious, tasted so fresh with great flavor. Nice champagne to start and a great wine list. It was a bit of a cab drive from our hotel, but well worth it and will definitely go back on our return trip to DC.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 722 reviews are from the New Heights reviews archive.
- You can eat well AND hear hereRenaDined on 5/31/2014If you are exhausted by loud restaurants, New Heights is for you. It's elegant, airy, with excellent food and service. We love to bring our friends when we look forward to relaxation and conversation in their company.
- New Heights Washington, DCbobinwoodleyODined on 5/25/2014This was our third visit to New Heights in the past two months, having not been there in the past ten years. It is truly a gem in the heart of Woodley Park. The service was warm and friendly, the patio was comfortable and spacious (it accommodated our two small dogs which we tucked away in a corner, distant from other diners), the wine list was extensive and reasonably priced, and the food was simply outstanding. My wife had the filet of halibut which she thought was excellent, and I had the bouillabaisse -- also outstanding. I would recommend anyone who wants a special dinner out and who enjoys the vibrant energy of the Woodley Park scene.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodJDH1Dined on 5/16/2014Food is devine, waitress and staff attentive, kitchen service slow, though. Spent a lot of time between courses.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- disappointedusuallyluv2dineDined on 5/3/2014Bouillabaisse was insipid. Other food served at our table was good, but not exciting, and most portions are stingy. Cornbread seemed a bit stale.
- sophisticated and uniquecwgmdDined on 4/26/2014Creative menu, lovely setting, plus large and interesting gin selection. Service pleasant but could be a little more prompt. Overall a wonderful place for an elegant dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Heights is Still FabulousFoodieFamilyDined on 4/23/2014We had not been for a long time-- years-- and were delighted to be back with a group that ranged from 22 to 82. Everyone enjoyed their food-- the halibut was particularly good that night, as was the fettucini appetizer. The contents of two bread baskets disappeared. The passion fruit sorbet and the papaya tempura were also big hits. The service was expert. It was quiet enough to hear everyone speak-- a real treat for a special occasion.Special Features:
- Always reliable with veryKimbizDined on 4/12/2014Always reliable with very creative food. Quiet enough to be able to talk with attentive service and excellent cocktails and wine.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- NeutralRMJDCDined on 4/6/2014I would not recommend New Heights because I think the prices are too high for the quality of the food. Although the food was good, the price suggest a 4-5 star restaurant while New Heights is a 3 star restaurant. Beverage (drink) prices are also high and the amount served was barely visible in a glass. I ordered wine and in addition to using small wine glasses, New Heights struggles to meet 4 ounces per serving.
- Trusted and truefoodieVIPDined on 4/2/2014New Heights has been around for a long time, and like an old friend, it is happy to see you and welcome you back, and you are happy to revisit it and rediscover why it remains your trusted and true restaurant pick. At a recent dinner, we ate crispy oysters - succulent and meaty; I was surprised at how large the oysters were. The garnish of yuzu lemon and micro greens worked beautifully. For our main course, we had the black bass - perfectly cooked, with a black rice accompaniment that was a revelation - and the Amish chicken - truly the most succulent and flavorful chicken I have had in a very long time. We finished with some cheese - great selection, beautifully presented. Umbi Singh's wine recommendation was spot on.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.