New Delhi Restaurant
160 Ellis Street
San Francisco, CA 94102Neighborhood:
Downtown / Union Square
IndianPrice: $30 and under
New Delhi Restaurant
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.newdelhirestaurant.com/
- Phone: 4153978470
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: Monday - Saturday: 11:30am - 2:00pm; Dinner: Monday - Sunday: 5:30pm - 10:00pm; Bar: Monday - Saturday: 5:30am - 2:00am (late night), Sunday: 5:30pm - 2:00am (late night)
- Payment Options: AMEX,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Vegetarian / Vegan, Indian
- Executive Chef: Ranjan Dey
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Dancing, Entertainment, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Late Night, Non-Smoking Area, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Catering: For over twenty years, New Delhi Restaurant has been host to many significant weddings and events held in San Francisco. We specialize in both on-site and off-site catering. We have exclusive relationships with The Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Four Seasons Hotel, Fairmont Hotel, Westin St Francis Hotel and St. Regis Hotel and working relationship with many downtown hotels. We specializes in regional Indian Cuisine from Punjab, Kashmir, Goa, Bengal, Hyderabad and Gujrat and have detailed knowledge of planning different religious wedding menus.
- Private Party Facilities: Favored by local San Franciscans for its intimate setting, New Delhi Restaurant has been host to many significant meetings, events and private parties held in San Francisco. Its grand interiors lend character and ambiance to any type of intimate event.
- Private Party Contact: Ranjan Dey 4153978470
- Special Events: We offer a variety of special events; please visit our website: wwww.newdelhirestaurant.com and click on catering for details.
A word from New Delhi Restaurant
Named one of the finest Indian Restaurants in the US by New York Times and featured on the Galloping Gourmet TV Show, New Delhi is the place to dine. Decorated like a Maharajah's private banquet room, the restaurant serves cuisine made from recipes culled from the royal Indian menus dating back 300 to 400 years using the freshest local ingredients. Chef and owner, Ranjan Dey, star of PBS show – “MY INDIA” creates daily specials with his six gourmet spice blends, available nation wide in gourmet specialties. New Delhi Bar has been the favorite hot spot for many, working in the downtown, restaurant and hotel industry, since its inception in 1988. It is famous for its “Double-Happiness-Happy Hour” featuring nightly drink specials. The first from 5:30 to 6:30pm and the second from 10 to 11pm – because not everybody works 9 to 5!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
New Delhi Restaurant reviews from OpenTable diners
11 reviews since June 26, 2014
- Ambiance3.4Noise LevelModerate
neighborhood gem (6)fit for foodies (5)great for lunch (3)good for groups (3)vibrant bar scene (2)romantic (1)special occasion (1)late-night find (1)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- DeliciousNatalkaDined on 10/19/2014This was some of the best Indian food I have had. I had to ask for vegan options, as they were not marked on the menu, but staff was very helpful.Special Features:
- Dinner and late happy hour!CurrySnobDined on 9/7/2014I came here with a friend after seeing a play around the block. She recommended it and I'll definitely be back! We had a late supper - which was delicious, then ended up hanging out in the bar during "second happy hour". About the food: I'm not an Indian food expert by any stretch, but the wait staff answered our questions about the spice levels, made a couple recommendations that were spot-on and kept us full of nan bread. We had eggplant masala, mango prawns and rice, plus a really good tandoori platter that came to the table still sizzling. Great place to spend a foggy evening!Special Features:
- Rude Hostess and WaitressFoodiefoodieVIPDined on 8/16/2014I've been to this establishment many times and been very pleased. However, this time I made a reservation on open table and made sure when I checked in to let the host know so I could get my points. Once seated the waitress was very short with us and only came back twice to check on us. The gentleman that filled our water were very friendly and for us what we needed not the waitress. And the restaurant was not even busy. Which now I can see why. When we left the restaurant I noticed our points had not been granted on opentable so I went to talk to the host. I figured it was an oversight. Especially after a $100 tab. When I told him we hadn't received our points he mocked me and said it was my fault and I would to be getting the points.
- So-sorun2eatDined on 8/12/2014I've eaten here at least three times in the past 5 years or so. This was the first time I was disappointed with my meal. I ordered one of the sampler plates for dinner and while the chicken and lamb were great, the vegetables were bland and sauce seemed like there was too much cornstarch. Don't ask about the nan. The service was friendly and attentive but memory was of much more vibrant flavors and aromas! Because there are so many great dining options in this area I'd have to be convinced to try it again.Special Features:
- small portions and overpricedyummyfoodieVIPDined on 8/7/2014they brought out the entrees and we almost said that we didn't order those appetizers. very small portions, not very flavorful, and dreadfully overpriced.
- A welcoming placeCurrySnobDined on 7/8/2014A friend of mine was on the west coast for the time in many years and really wanted some good Indian food. New Delhi is a long-time favorite of mine, so we went there and it did not disappoint. We had the chicken korma, saag paneer, eggplant masala, biranyi and lots of nan, all washed down with mango lassi and nimbu pani. The service was very good as per usual and the dining room was a warm, comfortable place to catch up with an old friend on a foggy night. Highly recommend.Special Features:
- The following 310 reviews are from the New Delhi Restaurant reviews archive.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/15/2014The food was not declicious at all, below expectations, service was very poor
- OK Indian placeHUlagirlVIPDined on 6/12/2014Nice bar. Be warned - everything is a la carte; you'll have to order rice, breads, condiments separately! And the portions of the entrees are SMALL. I ordered the lamb kofta and there were only 6 TINY meatballs. The flip side is that the food is very good. Many other reviewers of this restaurant have commented on how slow the service is; I was in at 6:15 and our by 7 p.m. which I thought was a bit too fast! They seem to now always have what's on the menu; the waiter wasn't sure they had mango lassi (!) but it turns out they did but had to come back to tell me I couldn't have the entree I had ordered because they were out of prawns.Special Features:
- HadleyDined on 6/10/2014We were made to feel very welcome by the friendly owner and enjoyed a variety of vegetable dishes and chicken marsala for a late lunch. Service was attentive and at 1:45, on a Tuesday, restaurant was quiet. My two companions were less critical than me and thought the food "excellent". I would definitely recommend New Delhi for a very good Indian meal.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great place for Business DinnertizzleDined on 5/20/2014We had a party of five for dinner at 7:00 the restaurant wasn't very busy, and the wait staff seemed to hover a little. Overall the experience was good, food was delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Disappointing Indian Food-TahoeJillDined on 5/18/2014We went to New Dehli expecting great Indian food based on the reviews we had read. The service was prompt and waitstaff was pleasant. The food was disappointing. The Naan was not made in house and it was tasteless, nothing like the garlic naan we ordered and were expecting. The Biryani was not made with Basmati rice, but short white rice that was clumpy and the sauce and vegetables were not mixed in well, rather like a scoop of white rice that some sauce from another, with a poor attempt to mix together. The chicken Masala was ok, as was the curry dishes, pedestrian and nothing special. I will not be back, but rather continue my search for good AUTHENTIC Indian in San Francisco.
- DisappointingWysiwygDined on 5/4/2014Was looking forward to a good Indian meal. This was not good...can cook better myself! Chicken tasted "off" which made me gag! Didn't complain as we were on holiday and had no intention of visiting again.
- Not for indianstejalDined on 4/24/2014If you are going here expecting real indian food, then this place is not great.
- Love Indian FoodjealdaDined on 4/9/2014My wife and I had a great experience at the New Delhi restaurant. She cannot have gluten and they had may options to choose from. The food was very good, smaller in portions than other Indian restaurants, and you have to order rice separately. The cucumber raita was amazing.Special Features:
- Quality appetizer was badOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 3/25/2014Quality appetizer was bad and taste wise it disappointing.
- Good but not great anymoreTigerTerryDined on 3/12/2014We were celebrating with a group of six and I hadn't been there in years. The service was great but some of the food wasn't great. My fish ticca was very very dry. The meat eaters said their dishes were great. I liked the heated plates and the ambiance.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous Food, great serviceGeoHilDined on 3/5/2014As always, the food was outstanding and service perfect. This is the best Indian food in the bay area. Spices are perfect.Special Features:
- Chicken Curry isn't worth the moneyOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 3/2/2014The food was ok. I've eaten better Indian food in 90 out of a 100 other Indian restaurants. The food did not have the flavors that I would expect in Indian food.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Pre-theater dinnerTHomasDined on 2/28/2014New Delhi Restaurant is a gem. Excellent and varied menu and superior and friendly service. Will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average Indian FoodpraveshDined on 2/17/2014Although the location and ambiance of the restaurant is good but the quality of food was not so great. Its not as pricey as some other restaurants in the area but overall I would not recommend this restaurant if good Indian food is your priority.
- service without a smiletable4threeDined on 1/25/2014Food was very good. Service required flagging down the waitstaff for drink refills and the check. More than half of the restaurant was empty. When we left management and waitstaff were sitting by bar.Special Features:
- Stifling and rushedDaleDined on 1/14/2014Upon arriving, me and my friend were immediately greeted by very warm air mixed with the pungent smell of curry and body odor. In addition, the bar was quite rowdy, and we were essentially rushed out the door but 9:30. My friend asked for one more drink but they couldn't comply. It's absurd. No wonder it was practically empty.
- Slow serviceRavenDined on 12/31/2013We arrived at 7pm, the place was almost empty. We waited a good 15 minutes before the order was taken. It was 8:15 pm by the time our food was served. The food was good but had very small portion sizes. I was disappointed in the slow service and small portion sizes. For a party of six the bill was over $225. I'm sure there are other Indian restaurants with better value.
- Food lackingLisamarieDined on 12/20/2013The restaurant is in a very nice setting but the food including the rice was just average and seemed warmed up. Flavor was lacking for this type of cuisine. Portions were smaller than usual so they seemed pricey. Service was excellent.
- The food was good but notGarnetgirlDined on 12/12/2013The food was good but not spectacular. Service was on the slow side.
- An annual favoritebugsVIPDined on 12/7/2013This is always the first restaurant we head to on arrival in SFO from the east coast - even if it means dinner at midnight our time! The food is wonderful, with reasonable size portions and reasonable prices. Service is variable as is the noise level, but it's worth it.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Unexpected GoodnessRossbossDined on 12/6/2013What attracted me to this place (besides the location, near to our party) was the menu...not just your typical litany of stock indian dishes but depth on the specific spice mixtures, history and just generally a great presentation and the food certainly kept up. Looking forward to heading back here soon!Special Features:
- Downtown SF with historyOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 12/4/2013The website for New Delhi outlines its distinguished history with food buffs, ex-Presidents, etc. The actual experience was that the ambience needed refreshing and the wait staff was slightly disorganized. We were there at 6:30 when it was almost empty. By the time we left at 8, it was about 50% full (on a week night) and everyone was obviously tourists. The food was moderately good -- small portions to share -- and the spice level didn't seem very "complex." But I'm not an expert on Indian food! Will try a different Indian restaurant next time.Special Features:
- Slow/poor service, small portionsOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 11/29/2013I go to New Delhi once a year or so, and I expected service to be slow as it usually is. It took 15 minutes before a waiter acknowledged us at our table and that was AFTER we asked for a waiter. Second, water that was served to us was not iced...it was room temperature. Third, we were told that our mixed grill order would take longer than the rest of our meals. It's fine that we were told that BUT we were given no bread (that we ordered) until ALL our order was served a full 75 minutes after we provided our order. Then our mixed grill was exceedingly dry (meaning overcooked). The portions were also MUCH smaller than what we remembered and is NOT worth the money that is being charged.
- Great Indian FoodFoodLoverDined on 11/29/2013Great Food, Great Menu, Wonderful Service and People. The place was very beautiful and the service like I said was wonderful. I brought my boyfriend here for his birthday and he loved it. I would recommend this place to all Indian Food Lovers! Also my boyfriend forgot his sweater and we left, walking until the red light stopped us and the kind waiter that was so wonderful with us came running and told my boyfriend he forgot his sweater! So sweet!Special Features:
- A happy findT914Dined on 11/22/2013With a bevy of Indian restaurants to choose among, this one was a very happy find. The menu goes well beyond the "typical" Indian fare, with some extraordinary and unusual items. Murg Akbari was a delight, I'd go back there again just for that! Every dish had subtleties that separated it from the other (many) Indian restaurants I've been to all over the world.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Tasty CurryPrudenceDined on 10/19/2013My friend and I chose New Delhi Restaurant because we both have diet restrictions. They had a lot of choices for a vegetarian and for a gluten free diet which is not always an easy combination to accommodate. Our waiter was also very good and made excellent suggestions regarding the menu. I would also recommend the rice pudding!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Indian FoodStevefromCTVIPDined on 9/26/2013I found this restaurant on Open Table and chose it specifically for the dinner menu. We started with the Vegetable Appetizer and I had the Chicken Madras for dinner together with the Indian Fried Rice and Naan. The food was excellent together with the service. The only complaint I have is that I was looking forward to having a Kingfisher beer with my meal, but the waiter said that they just got them in and they were not cold. I would highly recommend the New Delhi Restaurant to anyone in San Francisco.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- New Delhi ReviewfoodlovrDined on 8/11/2013Very friendly staff. Food wasn't as good as expected. Beautiful environment, but a bit depressing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Indian food at a place that caresOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/6/2013If you want to have a wonderful dinner, and learn about the Indian continent through diverse, well prepared Indian cuisine, then this is the place to go. I have traveled to India and come to SF frequently on business and have become a "regular" at New Dehli for the authentic flavors they create in all their dishes and because of the welcoming staff. I brought several business colleagues and we had a wonderful meal with great service. The ambiance is perfect for conversation (Ranjan, I hope we weren't too loud!).Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The food was good especiallyOpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 7/21/2013The food was good especially the samosas. The naan which was glorified pita bread. Moderately priced but nothing special.
- Yummy Samosa's in beautiful roomOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 7/7/2013We dined here at 8:30pm on a Sunday night. It was moderately full. The restaurant is warm and beautiful - very inviting and cozy. The samosa's were the best we have ever had - crunchy on the outside, warm and tasty inside. Their papadam was excellent as was their garlic naan. We had the chicken tikka masala, even though it was not on the menu, they made it for use. It was all very tasty.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not Delhi RestaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 7/5/2013Being from New Delhi and having had the experience of trying a myriad Indian and specifically North Indian restaurants this one was definitely not the authentic New Delhi cuisine. On the other hand it wasn't even true to the Indian origin. Expect for the names of the entrees, the decor and the spices used in the perpetuation there wasn't anything New Delhi or Indian about this place. I ordered 4 entrees and all of them either had dry/over cooked meat, too much corn starch in the curry or just bland. For the price tag I would definitely not recommend this restaurant to anyone craving good North Indian cuisine. Especially when there are a few other great choices in San Fran.
- DisappointingJohnVIPDined on 5/24/2013After a quick drinks and first appetizer, it was 35 minutes before the other dishes came out. Service was horrible slow. The manager even came over and said our dishes would be out in 2 minutes, but it was 10 minutes later. The first appetizer appeared to also not been just cooked but held over from before as it came out luke-warm. The same with my main course. Eaten here many times and service was better and the food came out warmer. It may have been the main courses were just sitting to the side. Drink service was faster than before though.
- Good bread, wine and rice itemsOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 5/18/2013I had good bread wine and rice dishes. but the vegetarian dishes are sub-par and not at all delightfulSpecial Features: