742 B Street
Hayward, CA 94541Neighborhood:
Contemporary AmericanPrice: $31 to $50
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://www.neumanali.com/
- Phone: 5105839744
- Hours of Operation:
Dinner: Tuesday - Saturday: 5:30PM - 9:00PM
- Payment Options: AMEX,Discover,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Contemporary American
- Executive Chef: Julie Romic Mckillop
- Dress Code: Smart Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Counter Seating, Farm to Table, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Private Party Facilities: Restaurant available for private parties. Please contact us for further details.
- Private Party Contact: Julie McKillop 5107503921
A word from Neumanali
Welcome to our beautifully restored Victorian with a contemporary twist. Neumanali opened six years ago and quickly became a neighborhood favorite. The menu features both fresh and seasonal entrees in addition to a selection of fun and unusual small plates. Perennial favorites are the pan-seared day boat scallops and "made to order" cioppino. The wine list is a bit eclectic and features smaller, more difficult to find winery selections. Lush garden dining is available in the summer and fall.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerContemporary American
- Diners' Choice WinnerRomantic
Neumanali - Best Restaurants in Hayward ›
Neumanali reviews from OpenTable diners
18 reviews since May 3, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelQuiet
romantic (10)neighborhood gem (10)fit for foodies (9)special occasion (9)notable wine list (7)good for groups (4)great for outdoor dining (4)great for lunch (2)scenic view (1)Show More
- Never disappointedGlormDined on 7/25/2014Every time I have eaten at this restaurant the food and service have been excellent. I have been there for business lunches, social lunches and social dinners.Special Features:
- Fine dining in HaywardNiknixt42Dined on 7/12/2014This is such a special restaurant in a beautiful Victorian house. A well thought out menu where the food is consistently above expectations. Excellent service, personable, knowledgeable staff. To me this is the best restaurant in the East Bay highly recommend it.Special Features:
- NeumanaliSOMETHINGOODTOEATDined on 7/1/2014The food is delicious. I love the concept of the restaurant. Service is good.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Rubina KarnadOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/27/2014Great service , the waiter was accommodating and pleasant , food portions were big and meals were served hot.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good for momBrookeVIPDined on 6/19/2014We took mom for a special occasion here, and she's gotten a bit fussy and her old age. She likes to be pampered and Abrin, our server, did not disappoint. It's quiet, white tablecloth classic elegance makes this restaurant the best in Hayward. Abrin always makes excellent wine suggestions and we have a lovely evening.Special Features:
- A great restaurantPaulVIPDined on 5/24/2014Right by Hayward BART (i.e. 3 minute walk) in an old house, this place has great, innovative food, and an interesting wine list. Prices are very reasonable. We have gone twice so far and will be back again.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Enjoyed first visitCKP59VIPDined on 5/15/2014Had to drive to east bay to meet a friend and picked this spot based in TA reviews. We were very pleased. There is a pleasant back patio, the interior is attractive and quiet enough to have our serious conversation. Food and wine choices and execution both very good. Would return if we are in the area.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent!GreatDined on 5/6/2014Held a dinner job interview here. The relaxed pace and quiet atmosphere were great for it and the food was top-notch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 83 reviews are from the Neumanali reviews archive.
- Surprise findMikeDined on 4/9/2014From out of town and on business , four guys looking for a good meal on the way to SFO near San Mateo bridge. Knew nothing about downtown Hayward or any local restaurants; juswt went looking via internet and stumbled on this place. Very nice older converted residence in a cool part of town...good food; good wine; good atmosphere. Nobody left anything on their plates........ Assume it would be a nice couples place. Only serves a couple tap beers and wine so don't expect any type ofother alcohol. I recommend NeumanaliSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Relaxing if a bit old schoolPaloAltoVIPDined on 4/4/2014Neumanali is in a converted home and has a very comfortable, unhurried feel. Service was extraordinary. We met with a friend and had a very relaxing dinner and did not feel rushed at all. The food came out fresh and well prepared; our only comments are that the preparations seem a bit old school (lots of butter, rich sauces) and there was nothing vegetarian on the menu - though when we asked, the kitchen was more than willing to put something together. Wine list looked good tho we brought our own wine for the evening.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic and great foodBrookeVIPDined on 4/4/2014It is we're we go to have a great meal in a quiet atmosphere where we can hold hands on the table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- DisappointedFoodie4LifeDined on 3/22/2014Based on other positive reviews, my husband and I decided to try this place. We must have dined on the restaurants off night. My husband ordered the Filet Mignon with pasta. Meat was chewy and the pasta was very gummy and dry. I had the Salmon which was soggy and bland. The host/bartender/waiter/server/busboy was unengaged and indifferent, not rude but almost. It's a lovely dining room but we won't be back.
- This is for open table...CaliFreshDined on 3/22/2014I made the reservation, received a confirmation AND a reminder yet when we arrived at the restaurant they had no record of our reservation. They were very accommodating and put a table together for us. Now, the restaurant did not disappoint on food. As a person who eats lightly I was pleased by their selection of small plates. The pace of service is VERY leisurely (could be picked up a bit). The dessert list was so- so.Special Features:
- Great restaurant in an old housePaulVIPDined on 3/19/2014This restaurant is right outside the BART station and is a real gem. Good "new American" food and a great, super-reasonably priced wine list.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Snotty waiterOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 3/15/2014Group of six; arrived within minutes of reservation time...met by waiter/owner who instead of greeting us, asked if we were the open table group and then asked where the other two members of the party were (delayed waiting for taxi); shown to table; waiter was cold and essentially completely indifferent to the satisfaction of his guests. Food was fair to good. Spent over $500 for six people and had the dinner ruined by the rudeness of the waiter. I would not recommend this restaraunt to anyone and will never eat there again based on the treatment we got from the waiter.
- Great Discovery in Bay AreaRovingFoodieDined on 3/13/2014Got a chance to visit this place on our last trip to SF. While we had to take Bart a ways, it was well worth the trip. Each course was better than the last . The sever Abran was excellent and made some great food and wine suggestions. Overall a great experience. Highly recommend noise level started very low built to moderate as night went onSpecial Features:
- Love it!!KellVIPDined on 3/1/2014We have eaten here several times now and I must say I just love the food here. It is one of those easy to get to, easy parking, easy to get a seat so no stress dining. The food is so enjoyable. Located in a charming Victorian house.Special Features:
- Best in Hayward!BrookeVIPDined on 2/20/2014Julie and Abran always makes us feel welcome and part of the family. The best food in Hayward and the atmosphere is quiet and relaxing. It is where my wife and I go to recharge and catch up. Great wine selection and Abran always has some unique wines at a great price. Julie puts together a great, diverse (but not overwhelming) selection of items for the menu and introduces new items often enough to keep our dining experience fresh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/15/2014We went for Valentines day. It was fabulous. Food was excellent. The atmosphere was romantic and the service was efficient loved it. Want to go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delightfully creative small platesDianeDined on 2/13/2014This charming restaurant in an old Victorian home had creative and delicious small plates. The ambiance was very romantic and the service fantastic. What a find! In Hayard, no less.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Romantic hot-spotSteakLoverVIPDined on 2/13/2014Wow what a nice find, in Hayward of all places. My wife and I enjoyed a very nice meal (steak for her, salmon for me) and both dishes were outstanding. We shared some appetizers and they were great as well. If you want to take your wife or significant other out to a nice romantic dinner this is the place. Or just tell her you are taking her to dinner in Hayward and she'll figure you are taking her to McDonald's so imagine her surprise when you show up at Nuemanali's, she'll know she is in for a special treat. We'll be back.Special Features:
- Gem in HaywardrickDined on 2/12/2014First vist to Neumanali was very enjoyable. Will definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good.OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 2/12/2014It was okay for what it was. Food was delicious, no complaints, Service was good for what it was, I mean there was only one server, so I had to take that into consideration. And he did good running the whole show by himself, again no complaints.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Outstanding ServiceTodMDined on 2/7/2014My wife and I recently dined at Neumanali's and had a wonderful evening. The food was very good, and the service was outstanding. Would recommend to those looking for a romantic setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A great Hayward dining experiencetwgpVIPDined on 2/6/2014So pleased to find such a terrific restaurant in Hayward. My brother moved to the town a couple years ago. I live on the Peninsula so we've always met over here because we thought there weren't any good places to meet in Hayward. We now know there is and we'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Neumanali's was lovely! IDelightDined on 2/1/2014Neumanali's was lovely! I had a very nice dining experience. I ordered a dinner salad of mixed greens, lightly dressed in a red wine vinaigrette, followed by a delicious roasted chicken cooked to perfection, with roasted tomatoes, kalamata olives and feta cheese, in a light reduction sauce, with a dollop of creamy mashed potatoes. Neumanali's is a gem in the heart of downtown Hayward. It is not to be missed!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Always an excellent choiceNeighborDined on 1/24/2014We have been dining at Neumanali for the past 9 years. It is always an excellent choice. A true gem and a wonderful place for a quiet meal with a special other or close friends.Special Features:
- Great ExperienceGoodVIPDined on 1/23/2014Food and service are wonderful and fabulous.... environment allows for conversation over multiple courses. Accomodating host and delicious (beautifuly presented) food.Special Features:
- Close to homeOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 1/18/2014Good food, ribeye steak the best I ever had! Love that it's in my hometown . Will go again for special occasions!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A little gem in HaywardTapasloverDined on 12/31/2013You wouldn't expect to find a restaurant like this in Hayward. Its more like something you would find in wine country up in Napa/Sonoma or down in the Carmel/Monterey area. The restaurant is in a restored Victorian House, the ambience is 'romantic' and the food is first rate with a great selection on the menu. Service was excellent and very personal. I can't speak highly enough about this little gem in downtown Hayward. Go and you won't be disappointed.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great romance in HaywardKenDDined on 12/21/2013We hosted a birthday dinner for 11 at Neumanali and it was just great. This is a white tablecloth restaurant with great service, ample portions and wonderful food. It is not a large place, but that just means the chef can spend that much more time preparing your meal just the way you like it. The food was beautiful, well seasoned and they served the meals for all 11 of us with in a few minutes, so no one had to wait. The pork chop was perfect - not dried out at all and you know they know how cook if they can make a thick chop moist. We have people from all over the Bay area from San Francisco to San Jose attending our party and the nice thing about the location is it is just a block up from BART making it easy access to mass transit.Special Features:
- Did not disappointOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 12/7/2013Went here several times before for lunch and dinner..good always excellent..great wine list..such a hidden away gem in Hayward..lucky to have it....can't say enough about the service food and ambianceSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great RestaurantMsKatDined on 12/6/2013We had a Holiday dinner at Neumanali's, party of 11. The server was excellent, very attentive and friendly. The food was outstanding! Tasted delicious and the presentation was beautiful. The decor is very nice. Our group highly recommends Neumanali's.Special Features:
- Kudos for combining Holiday CheerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/5/2013...with Hayward Firefighters' Toy Drive! Another wonderful meal, with attentive service, in a charming, romantic venue: definitely a Hayward "gem", they never fail to please! We're happy to drive from Oakland, and are turning friends & family on the peninsula on to our "secret": Neumanali has the best kitchen in Hayward!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- A Delightful EveningKellVIPDined on 11/27/2013Easy parking, quiet street, delightful old Victorian, huge portions of very good food, excellent service in a romantic, stress free restaurant! What is not to love?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Should have tried it sooner!MasterFoolDined on 11/15/2013We've lived in downtown Hayward for 4 years now, and always said we wanted to try Neumanali . . . but we never got around to it. We should have done so sooner. The restaurant was great. When we were there (early on a Friday night) the place was nearly empty (only 2 other tables), so it was very quiet. The server was very attentive, and gladly made recommendations or discussed dishes with us. I had the ribeye, and my wife had the prosciutto wrapped prawns. Both were very good. The wine list was extensive (try the Meritage!), and had a selection for whatever you were eating. Don't make the mistake I did. TRY THIS RESTAURANT! You won't regret it!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Delicious foodyummyfoodDined on 11/12/2013Food was great here. Ordered the lamb, it was delicious. Wanted to try the trout but unfortunately they were out of it. There were some loud diners that sat next to us but once they left the restaurant was nice and quiet.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- First timerWesClarkVIPDined on 11/1/2013I've lived in Castro Valley for fifteen years, but never had heard of this place in Hayward. The restaurant is like a converted mansion, with parking in the back. It has a nice feel, and very quiet neighborhood. Very understated. There was one waiter for the whole room, so service was a little slow, but we weren't in a hurry, so it was okay. The food was good, if a little heavy on the salt. I started with the clams, which were excellent, then the salmon, which was okay. We had two glasses of wine, which brought our tab for three up to about $150. Due to the cost, I'm not sure if we are going back soon.Special Features:
- Wow! Reviews of this placeOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 10/25/2013Wow! Reviews of this place were dead on. Food was fabulous yet unpretentious, service was attentive but not bothersome, and the ambiance was relaxed and thoughtful. Will be going again.Special Features:
- Unexpected gem in Hayward!OpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 9/27/2013The food was great. My wife and I had a great time. My wife had a seafood stew, I had a rib-eye. Both were great. It was relatively quiet on a later-ish (730pm) Friday night. The waiter (apparently the only one) was great, but it seemed like he had too many tables, so the service was a bit slow. We weren't in a hurry, so it didn't matter. A shocker for Hayward? We will be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.