Nettie's Crab Shack
2032 Union Street
San Francisco, CA 94123Neighborhood:
Marina / Cow Hollow / Presidio
SeafoodPrice: $30 and under
Nettie's Crab Shack
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.nettiescrabshack.com/
- Phone: 4154090300
- Hours of Operation:
Mon 11a-3p closed Tuesdays Wed-Sun 11a-10p
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American
- Executive Chef: Brian Leitner
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Counter Seating, Full Bar, Happy Hour, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Takeout, Weekend Brunch, Wheelchair Access
- Catering: Please inquire for details.
- Private Party Facilities: We are available for private patio buyouts and private restaurant buyouts.
- Private Party Contact: Annette Yang 415-409-0300
A word from Nettie's Crab Shack
Old school charm from the Cape, casual seafood from the Bay.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nettie's Crab Shack reviews from OpenTable diners
- They dealt with our specialpetahVIPDined on 7/20/2012They dealt with our special requests really well and the staff were very flexible and accommodating.
- We loved Nettie's. The atmosphereOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 7/14/2012We loved Nettie's. The atmosphere made you fell as if you were in Half Moon Bay a bit. But this is a nice neighborhood spot. The food was superb, especially the Dungeness crab roll. I thought the roasted Dungeness crab was a bit pricey, considering you could do the same thing at home at half the cost. But no big deal. Love this place, and the obvious attention Nettie pays to her food and customers.Special Features:
- We love this place - we'veOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/7/2012We love this place - we've eaten there 6 or 7 times now and every seafood dish has been excellent. Nettie is run by Nettie herself and she is always there, overseeing the kitchen, the front desk and the tables - she's is warm but really efficient and keeps the place hopping. Her commitment to sustainability means you can order with abandon and feel "good." We love the beachy California/Cape Cod vibe and decor and the lighting, bar and blackboards make the whole thing really comfortable and charming. Crab is the best but they have good stuff for kids who don't eat fish (the best chicken fingers ever) and the beer and wine list are thoughtful and interesting.Special Features:
- Eh... maybe worth a try..OpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/21/2012We chose Nettie's Crab Shack for the neighborhood, crab, and the reviews. Overall, the service was really good and the atmosphere was fun but classy. My only issue I had with the place, was the food and the prices.It is very expensive especially for the portions!The Crab Louis Salad and it was bland, simple, and small. I had the mussels with sausage and only found about 3 pieces of sausage in it.The broth was also very bland and tasted like white wine and a little butter.We ordered the Dungeness crab and it was big enough for one person but would be hard to share. I understand that anywhere in SF will have the same prices.Though if I'm paying that much, I would expect the portions to be a bit larger and the food to have a lot more flavor!
- The food was good but it didOpenTable Diner Since 2000VIPDined on 4/11/2012The food was good but it did not live up to its name "Crab Shack" Went there to have crab and the only crab were a crab roll and cakes. No dungeness, no king, no crab!Special Features:
- Once again we had a greatOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/17/2012Once again we had a great meal at Nettie's. Food is such good quality and the service was very good. Will be back!Special Features:
- We suggested Nettie's forEastBayOldLadyDined on 3/3/2012We suggested Nettie's for dinner before a Palace of Fine Arts event and were so glad we had 5:00 pm reservations for the six of us. The other four had never been there and thought the food was great! The crab is not to be missed. Our server was very busy which made for a relaxed dinner in a busy place. It would have been fine except for our parking-at-the-Palace-need to be a bit early. It was our fault, though, we should have told him up front!Special Features:
- Nettie's was great for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 2/15/2012Nettie's was great for our large group, they easily accomodated us at two large tables in the middle of the dining room. Service was friendly and prompt throughout and the food was both well prepared (all HOT dishes were HOT, even with our large group!) and flavorful. Fun place, good staff and great food!Special Features:
- We celebrated a girls night/birthdaOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 1/28/2012We celebrated a girls night/birthday at Nettie's. We were a party of eight, our table was ready when we arrived and we were given the option of being seated straight away or waiting at the bar until all our party arrived. Overall the food was fine, not outstanding, but as expected and good quality. Some in the party complained the crab roll was a little dry, and the unwillingness to substitute a veggie for a starch in one dish was nothing short of annoying. Rest of the food and deserts were good. Service was efficient and unobtrusive, although a little cold.Special Features:
- my new favorite place! thesandrichkaDined on 1/12/2012my new favorite place! the crab roll is to die for!!Special Features:
- Great food and service. WhenOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 12/23/2011Great food and service. When in SF, we willbe back.Special Features:
- Great food, so so serviceSFCAFOXDined on 12/18/2011We went on a Sunday for brunch for four people, we asked for a window table up front and that's when the attitude towards our group started happening, (it was just a request!!!). The waitress asked us to move our coats from the table next to us as she needed it for incoming diners, which we politely did (no one ever sat at that table the entire time we were there (over two hours) later. We paid the bill and left. The food IS good here but our service was less than friendly, it was almost like the team was just having a bad Sunday. I've been here twice now and the food was great both times but the city has too many wonderful restaurants to have service be mediocre. What a shame.Special Features:
- We love the quality of theOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 12/3/2011We love the quality of the food at Nettie's, and the seemingly simple preparation, however everything is outstanding. The best as far as customer service goes in the neighborhood!Special Features:
- Our waiter although a wonderfulOpenTable Diner Since 2009Dined on 10/22/2011Our waiter although a wonderful personality, his waiting skills left a bit to be desired. After being seated it took 15 minutes to get water. Then another 15 to get our drink order. The lemonade had no sweetness at all. I had to flag him down to get our appetizers in. We were there an hour in a half til we got our meal. Portions are small for the price. My Cobb Louie salad was boring and over priced. Appetizers are a rip off. All in all a disappointment. I was so looking forward to going after seeing it on Check Please Bay Area. I am sorry to say myself and the others in our party will not return again.
- We were a party of 10...theOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/10/2011We were a party of 10...the entire experience was seemless...wine was delicious...food was perfect...loved my blackened halibut blt...no complaints!Special Features:
- We waited about 15 minutesOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 9/5/2011We waited about 15 minutes for our table despite having and confirming a reservation. As soon as we were seated, we were informed that the majority of menu is sold out. The items available that we ordered were mediocre: clam chowder (much too salty), grilled cheese sandwich (cold and greasy). It would have been better if they had told us before we sat down about the food situation. We would have preferred to come back on another day if we had known...
- Service was great for ourOpenTable Diner Since 2002Dined on 8/21/2011Service was great for our lunch party of 6 on a Sunday. The space is airy with good space between tables inside. The crab rolls were deliciously full of crab in a buttery toasted bun. It's pricy but there's plenty for two to split. The fried chicken sandwich was succulent. The tasty linguini had lots of clams. Those who had the oyster po’ boy said it was good but that the jalapenos overpowered the flavors of the other ingredients. Yummy addictive rosemary shoestring fries. Yang, one of the owners, was visible and attentive.Special Features:
- great place! ambiance, food,OpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 8/19/2011great place! ambiance, food, service....can't complain about a thing.
- Great seafood in the MarinaOpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 8/7/2011We had a terrific dinner with 7 friends the other night. Loved the New England Clam Chowder. The Crab Roll. Shoestring fries. Cornbread. Service was excellent - good humor, super knowledgeable. Loved being there.Special Features:
- Fabulous. Best, fresh foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005VIPDined on 7/10/2011Fabulous. Best, fresh food I've had in a long time. All our guests were thrilled by the options and the divine taste of everything.Special Features:
- Great Food. Very good service.OpenTable Diner Since 2003Dined on 7/8/2011Great Food. Very good service. Good place to good with family or group of friends.Special Features:
- This was a cute little beachOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/29/2011This was a cute little beach house type place. Our server was beyond helpful, and the food was good. The crab roll was delicious, though slightly heavy-handed with the butter. The fried chicken was really good too. It's a tad expenive, but I would definitely come back.Special Features:
- Had a group of 9 (includingOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 3/12/2011Had a group of 9 (including kids) and we had plenty of space, never felt like we had to shush the kids and enjoyed ourselves tremendously. The food was fresh and well prepared although the fish of the day dishes had smaller portions than the price warranted. I'd definately eat at Nettie's again!Special Features:
- I would give this more starsOpenTable Diner Since 2002VIPDined on 2/26/2011I would give this more stars and the 2 that Netties is getting is for the cute decor. Netties is SO expensive for what you get!! It is insanity to charge $40 for dungeoness crab (just the legs) with two 1/2 cup portions of sides. I don't know how much the crab cake entree was, but they were about or smaller than a hockey puck and the server did not say anything about it to my guest who was clearly an eater. The kids pasta w crab meat was $15 ($9 or 11 with just butter); and that was tasty, but again, not worth $15 when dungeoness is IN season right now (Feburary). The "full" cornbread was the size of 2 slices of Sara Lee poundcake. The server could have made better recommendations in terms of serving size for our party of 6. Too Bad.
- When my out-of-town friendsLisaBVIPDined on 1/16/2011When my out-of-town friends were hankering for a family-friendly seafood place, I took them to Nettie's. The fish was so fresh. We loved the soups (clam chowder and bean and kale), the fish tacos, the shoestring fries and the dungeness crab roll. Service was a bit slow, but it wouldn't deter us from coming back. Even my land-lubber kids loved it. It's a winner.Special Features:
- Very good tuna BLAT and greatWendyRWCDined on 12/31/2010Very good tuna BLAT and great desserts. Loved the decor too!Special Features:
- I wanted to try this restaurantOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 12/12/2010I wanted to try this restaurant after "seeing it"on one of the food channels. The food was and dining experience was very good and I plan on visting Nettie's again during this Holiday season.Special Features:
- The mussels were a disappointmentcomstockDined on 12/12/2010The mussels were a disappointment - tiny and shrivelled.Special Features:
- 4th time to Nettie's and theyOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/26/20104th time to Nettie's and they never cease to amaze me!! Great service, incredible food, and great ambiance!! It's certainly a place I could frequent again and again!!Special Features:
- The deep fried cornbread andOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 9/11/2010The deep fried cornbread and crab rolls were the highlights.Special Features:
- We were hosting out-of-townOpenTable Diner Since 2007Dined on 8/14/2010We were hosting out-of-town family members ( four teenagers + parents ) and needed a venue that was in the neighborhood, accommodating, and reasonably priced. We could not have chosen a better restaurant. How often do you find a place that satisfies everyone, including young people? The evening meal was one of the highlights of their trip. Would not hesitate to return.Special Features:
- I was trying to figure outOpenTable Diner Since 2006VIPDined on 6/12/2010I was trying to figure out something nearby, good for a group, and for a baby, and Nettie's was perfect. Great food and drink for the adults, they could not have been more friends or accomodating to the kids/strollers, and plenty of space for everyone. Beautiful space and grown-up but relaxed atmosphere didn't make it feel like it was a night out with kids or not a special occasion. 5 stars.Special Features:
- A New England Crab Shack incaptjpsDined on 6/9/2010A New England Crab Shack in a fun neighborhood in San Francisco is a special surprise. Nettie was there to greet us and made sure the waiter was very attentive, and he was. There is a very casual feel to this special place and the food was excellent. Butterscotch pudding a cordial and cup of coffee was a great finish to a fun evening.Special Features:
- Outside dining is very cutefancydinerDined on 5/22/2010Outside dining is very cute -with heatlamps. And if you have to sit inside, it still feels very open and airy with all it's skylights. Great seafood prepared casually.
- I love Netties -- the foodTerryVIPDined on 5/9/2010I love Netties -- the food is consistently great and people/ambiance are a winner. Every time I've been, Nettie has been there and she keeps a careful eye on everything. It shows.Special Features:
- We were there on a MondayOtisinOaktown81Dined on 4/12/2010We were there on a Monday which is their night for a set menu with fewer diners. It was great: not that expensive, a more intimate feel, Nettie herself, in the flesh, waiting our table, and delicious food. Since we had no choice, that lead to a few things that were great that we probably would not have ordered. All in all, a great evening. But I did really miss the lobster rolls.Special Features:
- Very patient wait staff forOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/27/2010Very patient wait staff for a group of happy indecisive mom's and dad's that have not been out without their children in awhile. The crab was fantastic. The wine that flowed throughout the evening was fabulous and festive. Great way to spend a casual birthday with good friends. Thank you!!!!!Special Features:
- The steamed whole crab wasOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 2/6/2010The steamed whole crab was wonderful, so were the oysters. The cornbread was also good. Service was great, we had 9 people so I would recommend it for groups. Not too fancy, not too casual. The music they were playing was awesome.Special Features:
- I'd heard such great thingsgreymalkin42Dined on 2/6/2010I'd heard such great things about the crab feed here but I was pretty underwhelmed. I got the cold cracked crab (my fave). The crab was sweet but the dipping sauce they provided was bitter and had the metallic edge of raw onions. The taste lingered in my mouth for several minutes afterward, obliterating anything else. I resorted to just squeezed lemon juice after a while, it was the only thing they offered that didn't destroy the flavor of the crab. The sides were okay but nothing too exciting. And the whoopie pie was a whoopie cookie, just about the size of a 2 bite puffy oreo. The ingredients are good but there's no balance or harmony in the food. Is anyone paying attention in the kitchen?Special Features:
- Took some O/O towners to Netties,OpenTable Diner Since 2004VIPDined on 2/5/2010Took some O/O towners to Netties, and they appreciated getting away from Fisherman's Wharf tourist vibe just to get crab. For the price, we should have got better service. Food was great, but service was somewhat slow and off. Waited too long for initial greeting. Crab comes in a cute tin, but without a plate, so for the "pick, hoard, and eat at all once" folks, we had to ask for plates (never came); we just used our bread plates. Also, I was the host, and I didn't want to deal with cracking my crab alot while also chatting, so I asked for them to take it back and crack it. Unfortunately(again) they didn't get it, and instead just cleaned the crab - removing the shell and the gills, but left all the leg, body and claw cracking to me.Special Features: