55 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nerainyc.com/
- Phone: 2127595554x
- Hours of Operation:
We are happy to be of service-6 Days a Week
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:45am-10pm
Dinner: Saturday 5pm-10pm
We are closed on Sunday's until September 7th
We will be opening for Breakfast soon (target 9.15.14)
Off premise catering reserved through our Private Events 212-759-0694
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Chef Chris Christou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We have a wonderful Corporate Catering Menu. From individual "lunch boxes" for 6 to elaborate Chef's Tasting Menu for 100 people. We can tailor any order to suit your needs. Please contact email@example.com. You can also phone us at 212-759-0694.
- Entertainment: n/a
- Special Events: Please join our email list for invitations to Wine Maker's Diner's and Chef's Tasting Menu Events.
A word from NERAI
NERAI offers a contemporary twist on sophisticated Greek dining in the heart of the city. We feature a vivacious bar, elegantly appointed dining rooms and a relaxed, private event spaces. Our flavorful fresh seafood focused dishes and our layered cocktails are stripped down to their simple essence, revamped for a twist, then it is presented beautifully. Our polished service team pays attention to each individual guest, striving to make their experience outstanding. NERAI provides our guests with a peaceful escape from the hustle of NYC. Whether we are welcoming local business leaders, ladies for lunch, colleagues after-work for drinks, we satisfy every guests needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
NERAI reviews from OpenTable diners
110 reviews since June 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (58)great for lunch (42)romantic (33)special occasion (33)neighborhood gem (32)good for groups (24)hot spot (15)notable wine list (13)great for outdoor dining (9)late-night find (5)great for brunch (4)vibrant bar scene (3)scenic view (2)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Impeccablejaoren99VIPDined on 10/18/2014This was my first Greek fine dining experience it was fantastic. Restaurant is beautiful- a bright and calm oasis. Service, presentation, and flavors were impeccable. My husband and I came here for my birthday dinner. at they brought out in a perfectly paced manner: the three spreads (fava, spicy feta was divine but not spicy, and one of the best tzatzikis I've ever had), saganaki (who doesn't dream of fried cheese?), the stuffed calamari, greek salad (so fresh and lovely), and spinach pies. When I made reservations on Opentable, I mentioned in the notes that we we excited to go there for my birthday. They surprised me with a delicious gelato and cake dessert, which was such a nice touch.Special Features:
- ALWAYS PERFECT!UNIQUESVIPDined on 10/15/2014Nerai is a fantastic addition to our neighborhood. Consistently perfect in every respect. I feel as if I have been transported back to Greece. Efharisto!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Secret is outTotten10307Dined on 10/14/2014Nerai offers an excellent price fixe lunch menu - great selections and decent portions. The spinach pie appetizer and pita with the variety of spreads was delicious. The scallop and lamb chop entrees were flavorful and cooked to perfection. I must've walked by this place many times and didn't realize it was there - so glad to find it. Seems that a lot of people have learned about its excellent food since there wasn't an empty table during lunch time. I hope to go back for dinner. Only negative comment would be that there wine by the glass is way over-priced.Special Features:
- not enough fooddonaldDined on 10/13/2014the quantity of the food was too small for the price we paid
- OpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 10/11/2014Recommended by our hotel. Food was tasty enough, but portions were small. Service was pretentious, so we never felt comfortable. Would not go back.
- OpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 10/9/2014Try the yogurt with honey for dessert! Dreamy!! I even took home the hummus and spicy feta for lunch the next day. My husband liked nautical Greek yacht theme and the indoor and outdoor space. Great wine list!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- fantastic dinner and staff.LovemylouisDined on 10/2/2014I had the most wonderful evening with my husband and my little service dog Louis. We sat outside as it was a beautiful evening and it was perfect. I informed the waiter about all my allergies (hence the service dog). He accommodated all our needs and suggested his favourites while double checking with chef that all was ok with his suggestions. The crab, the octopus and the tuna tartare were outstanding, light and flavourful without the complicated, overbearing sauces. The main dish was a grilled greek fish with a drizzle of olive oil just perfect. The wine was excellent it was Neramtzi, I think, I took picture but can't really read the label. It is a 2008 Syrah. Give this spot a must go and have the wine, deliciousSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- solo dinnerOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 10/2/2014found this restaurant on google/open table , last minute decision to go to dinner just after arrival in NYC. Pleasantly surprised with the ambience and the decor , the bar area , the clean lines to the places , very comfortable but not ostentatious. The staff were very accommodating and pleasant w/o being obtrusive. Very good service. The captain, Catalin, was very interesting to speak with and he supervised the room well. The hostess was very gracious. Best of all , I would return for the food,the 2 fish courses I had were excellent. Wines reasonably priced .Special Features:
- Not your usual GreekLucullusaDined on 10/1/2014We visited Nerai for a business diner on a busy Wednesday evening. Service was very attentive and enthusiastic, seating arrangements slightly awkward as the three of us were placed a little cramped into a corner (which the maître d' acknowledged and offered us a nice digestive to make up for it.) That aside, the food was really good, no traditional Greek Gyros/Kebab fare, but fantastic fresh fish perfectly prepared, great deserts and one of my favorite Italian whites on the wine list. Overall a very nice evening, but be prepared to spend a little (we came to about $500 for three incl. tip...)Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Greek SeafoodUES1EaterDined on 9/30/2014Great food, attentive service, roomy seating and lovely front-end bar. I ate at Nerai while counting calories and the waiter could not have been more accommodating: prepared the octopus without chickpeas, use no oil cooking preparing top-notch levakri and steamed the vegetables. I've worked in the area for 20 years and have just discovered this solid restaurant. I'll be back!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Mediterranean HeavenFlavorfanDined on 9/30/2014From the warm, welcoming staff to the fish so fresh it could leap off the plate, Nerai offers superb, well prepared Greek cuisine with authentic Greek atmosphere. Try the octopus appetizer followed by the grilled whole fish, simply and beautifully prepared to perfection. Expand your wine knowledge by sampling the delicious, unusual Greek wines available by the glass.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- BreakfastMidtownFoodieDined on 9/29/2014We frequently enjoy lunch here so the manager graciously invited us to try Nerai's newly opened breakfast. I must say we were thoroughly impressed. Service was elegant and the food fantastic.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MurgyVIPDined on 9/22/2014Beautiful interior, tables not too close, delicious food beautifully presented, varied menu, lovely Greek wines. The bar was a bit loud at times, but I am looking forward to returning and introducing friends to this restaurant. In short, a lovely dining experience.Special Features:
- Modern Greek Indeed!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/15/2014As the business card indicates, the menu is Modern . Every bite was a titillating experience to the tastebuds. Unique preparations of standard dishes that are exquisite. We cant wait to return and introduce our friends to this wonderful restaurant with a staff that pays attention to each table, yet not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek Restaurant????itsnotgreek2meDined on 9/12/2014We are of Greek origin and speak the language. We have never been to Greek restaurant where there is no Greek music. There was not even a picture relating to Greece on the wall. The portions were small and way over price for the quality that it was. The menu was not a Greek menu.
- Simply amazingGreeklover1126Dined on 9/12/2014The best Greek food we ever tried...!! Try anything on the menu, you will love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fixed price lunch!PennyDined on 9/11/2014At lunch time the restaurant is very crowded until about 1:30 when all the business people must get back to work, then it thins out and is very enjoyable. Our fixed price lunch was very good, each course was well prepared and very attractive. My husband and I ordered different things and shared each dish. The scallop dish was perhaps the best one we've ever had. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. We will certainly go again...the next time for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TigerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great new find ... Easy reservation on Saturday eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FineDinerDined on 9/5/2014All of the over-the-top enthusiastic reviews you've read of Nerai are entirely warranted. This is very pricey restaurant that completely delivers. The cuisine, which is haute Greek with strong French and Italian overtones, is exquisite, especially the seafood dishes. The grilled octopus was generous, fresh and pleasingly charred. The bronzini was also exquisitely fresh and grilled to perfection. Langoustines and pasta--the special of the day--was unique and irresistibly sauced. The service is formal, but pleasantly attentive and highly informative. Though not especially extensive, the wine list offers an impeccable selection, including some of the great Greek wines that are seldom available here in either restaurants or wine stores.Special Features:
- WonderfulReturneeDined on 9/5/2014I had a wonderful, exquisite, memorable dining experience at Nerai and am delighted to have found this gem of a restaurant. The food and service were superb--the best watermelon salad and Dover sole I have ever had, and the lavender mousse was a splendid treat. My waiter was attentive and friendly, and I appreciated that I was not rushed, enjoyed a leisurely meal as a single diner. it was truly a memorable dining experience, and I look forward to returning. I would definitely recommend Nerai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperabbitVIPDined on 9/4/2014I am glad to find out a nice restaurant for Greek food at Midtown as this restaurant. The food, the wine, the service... everything was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for high end night outCtdinerDined on 9/4/2014It's pricey but the service is first rate and the food impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely and trying hardfrequentbizluncherDined on 9/3/2014upstairs great for a business lunch. noise level manageable. service very good. but I have to say that the food, including daily specials, just meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a a good as it wasJam13VIPDined on 9/2/2014Loved this place but service has gone down, it was slow and too many new faces walking around a bit clueless? What happened to old staff?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite greek foodkfriedieDined on 8/25/2014I've never had fine-dining greek fare before and it was absolutely amazing. We were seated outside the front (it's really great outside, especially on a beautiful evening, but I don't think this area receives as good a service as the rest of the restaurant). The dips (spicy feta & hummus) with warm pita bread is delicious. The calamari with stuffed feta and prawn is possibly the nicest calamari dish I've ever eaten. Tuna tartare and bbq octopus both really tasty too. Mains- the duck 'baklava' was delightful and the scallops enjoyable. Dessert we couldn't go past the baklava and glad we didn't. The food was truly exceptional. Decor and ambience very cool too. Expensive but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb midtown lunch spotjokrisVIPDined on 8/20/2014I frequently hold client lunches at Nerai and am never disappointed. The food is consistently fresh, well -prepared and delicious. The fish is particularly good- try the Branzino. The greek salad is perfection. The restuaruant's ambience is perfect, especially upstairs where tables are well spaced and acoustics are better. The wait staff, while friendly and professional, could be more attentive and sharp, especially on busy days. Overall, this is my go -to midtown restaurant for great food at reasonable prices in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchcaroleDined on 8/20/2014Great shrimp pasta and gazpacho also nice Greek salad be prepared that it's only a pre fix lunch so can't order just an entree desserts also outstanding sponge cake with chocolate mousse only minus we came early they said that they were not open until 12 no problem we went to the bar. We were not there 5 minutes when several others came in and were seated right away we had to get up with our drinks and ask to be seated very strange. One other item all of the plates were really nice with numerous shapes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTravelingnyDined on 8/19/2014I dined alone. I had a nice table. The food was excellent. I asked the waiter if my original choice of Greek salad and oregano fries was enough for a meal . He said it was very light so I added a side of hummus. It was way too much food for one person. There are also tables in the bar and you can order food at the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014We were a group of 6, all first timers. I'll start by saying everyone loved everything. We sat upstairs. The noise level is vastly different between the floors. Upstairs is quieter, which was perfect for us as we could all hear each other and you don't get the feeling that you're banished, downstairs is noisy. It's a pretty place. I recommend the calamari app, the trio of spreads, the salads for apps. Main dishes we had were scallops, halibut, duck moussaka, and short ribs-all delicious. If I had to find a fault, it's that one person's main dish was delayed. Service was attentive, just right. I'm not a big desert person but I tasted someone's baklava and could've eaten it all. We will all definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsBobbyHDined on 8/9/2014On this our 7th outing at this superb restaurant nwe finally broke dow and had the tasting menu with wine pairings. While this means we will be eating beans for a while, it was well worth the expense. Resisting the impulse to recite the whole menu, the lamb loin with peaches, dandelion greens and sheeps milk yogurt was the standout.Special Features:
- Delicious mealrhodaVIPDined on 8/8/2014My daughter and I dined here on a Thursday evening. I was a little worried at first when the service started off slow. But then the entire wait staff came to life. The Greek salad was perfect. The tuna perfect. The steak outstanding. And the fries out of this world. Our waiter could not have been any nicer. Once people find this little gem there will be no tables. I highly reccommend.Special Features:
- a real findmikesayanythingDined on 8/5/2014Greek seafood restaurant shines with the freshest of fish, a diverse menu and excellent service. Not your usual fare so be ready for an amazing culinary experience.Special Features:
- Viva la NeraiYodaDined on 8/2/2014Been here a few times and this place fails to disappoint. Food is absolutely amazing, can't say enough about how ridiculously awesome their grilled octopus is, and their tarama spread is the best i've ever had. Got recommended a great greek assyrtiko wine to go with dinner. Tried a weekend here this time and I know weekends in midtown in the middle of summer are quiet, as this place is always jammed during the week when I pass by after work.Special Features:
- Good food/disappointing wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014We went for a light, late dinner. Very well-prepared grilled octopus (among the best I've had) and duck confit. Service was pleasant but not as polished as you would expect at this price point. The wine list had very little for under $100 and not much more under $200, so kind of boring.
- Delicious & great atmosphereShoegal21Dined on 8/1/2014It's a really nice and cozy restaurant. The atmosphere & ambiance fits perfectly with the restaurant and mediterranean theme. The crab cakes were delicious, and the scallops is a must as an entree!!Special Features:
- Great Spot for Business LunchFareedaDined on 8/1/2014This was my second business lunch here in the last couple of weeks. It's active, but not overcrowded. The food is good, and the service is pretty quick. The prix fixe still offers plenty of options (8-10 options for appetizers, same for entrees). It's filling but not overly indulgent, so you can work afterward. The ambiance is nice, slightly more upscale than you find in this neighborhood without feeling "steakhouse"-y. Good for a date or drink as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative, modern GreekEpicure4711VIPDined on 7/31/2014Nerai has Greek roots but the food is elevated to a truly modern, fine dining level. It's light, innovative, and yummy - highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Very attentive and fresh, fabulous food! They made my niece feel very special for her 11th birthday. They made a sign with her name and age. She adored their restaurant and said it was the best dinner she's ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faux fine diningMIMiDined on 7/26/2014as a big fan of greek cuisine i decided to cheat on my favorite greek spot and give this place a try. What a dissappointment! It's one of those places where they take a good authentic food and try to make it 'fancy". The food was overseasoned, way too salty, refried, overdressed and presentation was way off. the servers lack skills, they are too pushy and awkward, we were approached by every single server offering us "things". A little annoying. Overall...we left dissappointed and will stick with our regular place in the future
- Was generally OKLuciyiaDined on 7/22/2014I was expecting more creative dishes . My starter arrived late after reminding the waiter about it . Good quality and tasty food ,however there was nothing Med about it although there is a bunch of Greeks running the place . Wine list adequate but not offering big selection of wines poised for sea food .$270 for 2+2 imcluding a bottle of Greek wine is way on the upper side .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.