55 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nerainyc.com/
- Phone: 2127595554x
- Hours of Operation:
We are happy to be of service-6 Days a Week
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:45am-10pm
Dinner: Saturday 5pm-10pm
We are closed on Sunday's until September 7th
We will be opening for Breakfast soon (target 9.15.14)
Off premise catering reserved through our Private Events 212-759-0694
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Chef Chris Christou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We have a wonderful Corporate Catering Menu. From individual "lunch boxes" for 6 to elaborate Chef's Tasting Menu for 100 people. We can tailor any order to suit your needs. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also phone us at 212-759-0694.
- Entertainment: n/a
- Special Events: Please join our email list for invitations to Wine Maker's Diner's and Chef's Tasting Menu Events.
A word from NERAI
NERAI offers a contemporary twist on sophisticated Greek dining in the heart of the city. We feature a vivacious bar, elegantly appointed dining rooms and a relaxed, private event spaces. Our flavorful fresh seafood focused dishes and our layered cocktails are stripped down to their simple essence, revamped for a twist, then it is presented beautifully. Our polished service team pays attention to each individual guest, striving to make their experience outstanding. NERAI provides our guests with a peaceful escape from the hustle of NYC. Whether we are welcoming local business leaders, ladies for lunch, colleagues after-work for drinks, we satisfy every guests needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
NERAI reviews from OpenTable diners
105 reviews since May 25, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (53)great for lunch (41)romantic (37)special occasion (33)good for groups (28)neighborhood gem (27)hot spot (14)notable wine list (13)great for outdoor dining (8)vibrant bar scene (6)great for brunch (4)late-night find (4)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Modern Greek Indeed!OpenTable Diner Since 2003VIPDined on 9/15/2014As the business card indicates, the menu is Modern . Every bite was a titillating experience to the tastebuds. Unique preparations of standard dishes that are exquisite. We cant wait to return and introduce our friends to this wonderful restaurant with a staff that pays attention to each table, yet not intrusive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Greek Restaurant????itsnotgreek2meDined on 9/12/2014We are of Greek origin and speak the language. We have never been to Greek restaurant where there is no Greek music. There was not even a picture relating to Greece on the wall. The portions were small and way over price for the quality that it was. The menu was not a Greek menu.
- Simply amazingGreeklover1126Dined on 9/12/2014The best Greek food we ever tried...!! Try anything on the menu, you will love it!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent fixed price lunch!PennyDined on 9/11/2014At lunch time the restaurant is very crowded until about 1:30 when all the business people must get back to work, then it thins out and is very enjoyable. Our fixed price lunch was very good, each course was well prepared and very attractive. My husband and I ordered different things and shared each dish. The scallop dish was perhaps the best one we've ever had. The staff was very friendly and extremely helpful. We will certainly go again...the next time for dinner.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TigerVIPDined on 9/6/2014Great new find ... Easy reservation on Saturday eveningSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- FineDinerDined on 9/5/2014All of the over-the-top enthusiastic reviews you've read of Nerai are entirely warranted. This is very pricey restaurant that completely delivers. The cuisine, which is haute Greek with strong French and Italian overtones, is exquisite, especially the seafood dishes. The grilled octopus was generous, fresh and pleasingly charred. The bronzini was also exquisitely fresh and grilled to perfection. Langoustines and pasta--the special of the day--was unique and irresistibly sauced. The service is formal, but pleasantly attentive and highly informative. Though not especially extensive, the wine list offers an impeccable selection, including some of the great Greek wines that are seldom available here in either restaurants or wine stores.Special Features:
- WonderfulReturneeDined on 9/5/2014I had a wonderful, exquisite, memorable dining experience at Nerai and am delighted to have found this gem of a restaurant. The food and service were superb--the best watermelon salad and Dover sole I have ever had, and the lavender mousse was a splendid treat. My waiter was attentive and friendly, and I appreciated that I was not rushed, enjoyed a leisurely meal as a single diner. it was truly a memorable dining experience, and I look forward to returning. I would definitely recommend Nerai.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- SuperabbitVIPDined on 9/4/2014I am glad to find out a nice restaurant for Greek food at Midtown as this restaurant. The food, the wine, the service... everything was amazing.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good choice for high end night outCtdinerDined on 9/4/2014It's pricey but the service is first rate and the food impressive.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- lovely and trying hardfrequentbizluncherDined on 9/3/2014upstairs great for a business lunch. noise level manageable. service very good. but I have to say that the food, including daily specials, just meh.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Not a a good as it wasJam13VIPDined on 9/2/2014Loved this place but service has gone down, it was slow and too many new faces walking around a bit clueless? What happened to old staff?Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Exquisite greek foodkfriedieDined on 8/25/2014I've never had fine-dining greek fare before and it was absolutely amazing. We were seated outside the front (it's really great outside, especially on a beautiful evening, but I don't think this area receives as good a service as the rest of the restaurant). The dips (spicy feta & hummus) with warm pita bread is delicious. The calamari with stuffed feta and prawn is possibly the nicest calamari dish I've ever eaten. Tuna tartare and bbq octopus both really tasty too. Mains- the duck 'baklava' was delightful and the scallops enjoyable. Dessert we couldn't go past the baklava and glad we didn't. The food was truly exceptional. Decor and ambience very cool too. Expensive but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb midtown lunch spotjokrisVIPDined on 8/20/2014I frequently hold client lunches at Nerai and am never disappointed. The food is consistently fresh, well -prepared and delicious. The fish is particularly good- try the Branzino. The greek salad is perfection. The restuaruant's ambience is perfect, especially upstairs where tables are well spaced and acoustics are better. The wait staff, while friendly and professional, could be more attentive and sharp, especially on busy days. Overall, this is my go -to midtown restaurant for great food at reasonable prices in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchcaroleDined on 8/20/2014Great shrimp pasta and gazpacho also nice Greek salad be prepared that it's only a pre fix lunch so can't order just an entree desserts also outstanding sponge cake with chocolate mousse only minus we came early they said that they were not open until 12 no problem we went to the bar. We were not there 5 minutes when several others came in and were seated right away we had to get up with our drinks and ask to be seated very strange. One other item all of the plates were really nice with numerous shapes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTravelingnyDined on 8/19/2014I dined alone. I had a nice table. The food was excellent. I asked the waiter if my original choice of Greek salad and oregano fries was enough for a meal . He said it was very light so I added a side of hummus. It was way too much food for one person. There are also tables in the bar and you can order food at the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014We were a group of 6, all first timers. I'll start by saying everyone loved everything. We sat upstairs. The noise level is vastly different between the floors. Upstairs is quieter, which was perfect for us as we could all hear each other and you don't get the feeling that you're banished, downstairs is noisy. It's a pretty place. I recommend the calamari app, the trio of spreads, the salads for apps. Main dishes we had were scallops, halibut, duck moussaka, and short ribs-all delicious. If I had to find a fault, it's that one person's main dish was delayed. Service was attentive, just right. I'm not a big desert person but I tasted someone's baklava and could've eaten it all. We will all definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsBobbyHDined on 8/9/2014On this our 7th outing at this superb restaurant nwe finally broke dow and had the tasting menu with wine pairings. While this means we will be eating beans for a while, it was well worth the expense. Resisting the impulse to recite the whole menu, the lamb loin with peaches, dandelion greens and sheeps milk yogurt was the standout.Special Features:
- Delicious mealrhodaVIPDined on 8/8/2014My daughter and I dined here on a Thursday evening. I was a little worried at first when the service started off slow. But then the entire wait staff came to life. The Greek salad was perfect. The tuna perfect. The steak outstanding. And the fries out of this world. Our waiter could not have been any nicer. Once people find this little gem there will be no tables. I highly reccommend.Special Features:
- a real findmikesayanythingDined on 8/5/2014Greek seafood restaurant shines with the freshest of fish, a diverse menu and excellent service. Not your usual fare so be ready for an amazing culinary experience.Special Features:
- Viva la NeraiYodaDined on 8/2/2014Been here a few times and this place fails to disappoint. Food is absolutely amazing, can't say enough about how ridiculously awesome their grilled octopus is, and their tarama spread is the best i've ever had. Got recommended a great greek assyrtiko wine to go with dinner. Tried a weekend here this time and I know weekends in midtown in the middle of summer are quiet, as this place is always jammed during the week when I pass by after work.Special Features:
- Good food/disappointing wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014We went for a light, late dinner. Very well-prepared grilled octopus (among the best I've had) and duck confit. Service was pleasant but not as polished as you would expect at this price point. The wine list had very little for under $100 and not much more under $200, so kind of boring.
- Delicious & great atmosphereShoegal21Dined on 8/1/2014It's a really nice and cozy restaurant. The atmosphere & ambiance fits perfectly with the restaurant and mediterranean theme. The crab cakes were delicious, and the scallops is a must as an entree!!Special Features:
- Great Spot for Business LunchFareedaDined on 8/1/2014This was my second business lunch here in the last couple of weeks. It's active, but not overcrowded. The food is good, and the service is pretty quick. The prix fixe still offers plenty of options (8-10 options for appetizers, same for entrees). It's filling but not overly indulgent, so you can work afterward. The ambiance is nice, slightly more upscale than you find in this neighborhood without feeling "steakhouse"-y. Good for a date or drink as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative, modern GreekEpicure4711VIPDined on 7/31/2014Nerai has Greek roots but the food is elevated to a truly modern, fine dining level. It's light, innovative, and yummy - highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Very attentive and fresh, fabulous food! They made my niece feel very special for her 11th birthday. They made a sign with her name and age. She adored their restaurant and said it was the best dinner she's ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faux fine diningMIMiDined on 7/26/2014as a big fan of greek cuisine i decided to cheat on my favorite greek spot and give this place a try. What a dissappointment! It's one of those places where they take a good authentic food and try to make it 'fancy". The food was overseasoned, way too salty, refried, overdressed and presentation was way off. the servers lack skills, they are too pushy and awkward, we were approached by every single server offering us "things". A little annoying. Overall...we left dissappointed and will stick with our regular place in the future
- Was generally OKLuciyiaDined on 7/22/2014I was expecting more creative dishes . My starter arrived late after reminding the waiter about it . Good quality and tasty food ,however there was nothing Med about it although there is a bunch of Greeks running the place . Wine list adequate but not offering big selection of wines poised for sea food .$270 for 2+2 imcluding a bottle of Greek wine is way on the upper side .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish PricingScocanVIPDined on 7/22/2014Fish dishes are delicious but the pricing is very vague. They price by weight and when the bill came - I was surprised how expensive the 2 fish dishes were.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nerai -A Seafare AdventureannabDined on 7/21/2014Dining at Nerai was truly a delightful experience. The scene is peaceful and warm. The restaurant has a nautical theme. The staff was friendly and very attentive. The food is delicious. I especially enjoyed the octopus salad. It was well prepared and the chic beans were an added surprise. The fish is fresh and well prepared. The restaurant could improve the dessert menu. Nerai offered a price fixe lunch and I thought that the selections were varied. There was definitely something for everyone on the menu. It is a restaurant that I would recommend to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Excellent service.AnneDined on 7/18/2014It was our first visit and we were all raving. A wide selection of delicious food and excellent service. Will definitely come again and recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive and poorsidyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Service for an expensive restaurant was poor. They tried to leave used silverware (from appetizer to entree, on table for reuse. Wait for main course was well over 45 minutes. On ly thing great was the bread.Special Features:
- Lovely spaceKMF58VIPDined on 7/15/2014Beautiful clean space, excellent service with nice pre fix selection.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014Nerai has it all . Great location, great food and great service . We enjoyed the entire experience.Special Features:
- ZathomeVIPDined on 6/30/2014good lamb burger and grilled octopus for appetizer ($10 supplement on $36 prix lunch), the cod croquettes were bland and tasteless; grilled whole dorade (+$12) was excellent - perfectly cooked (i.e., not overcooked like most American restaurants),;dessert was also good. Prix fixe is good value but almost half the dishes - especially seafood - have supplemental cost. would definitely go back
- MariaVIPDined on 6/30/2014We were a group of 3 and we all enjoyed our visit/food/ service very much.Special Features:
- Lovely & LikeablejillybeanDined on 6/29/2014It was a very early Sunday evening dinner. The setting is pristine and very comfortable. The Greek white wine was palatable and the lobster risotto was excellent. Nothing extraordinary about the food or desserts, but very pleasant dining experience. Tres Expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MumaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great dining experience. We will return very soon with more time to enjoy the different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!DeliciousDined on 6/20/2014I've been here a few times and have loved it each and every time. They changed the menu and removed one of my favorite starters (Calamari) but the Cod croquettes are AMAZING!!! Definitely recommend it each and every time. I've have the same waitress 2x and she is AWESOME!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced simple foodscholarwarriorDined on 6/19/2014Uncrowded, nice decor, outdoor seating option, good service. However $40 for grilled branzino seems excessive. If you go, have the $28 grilled octopus appetizer instead of the $60 grilled jumbo prawns. Definitely don't have both even if the waiter recommends -- too much charred flavor. The Brussels sprouts were too sweet -- need a touch of lemon.
- Exceptional Greek DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014We have enjoyed many dinners at NYC Greek Restaurants as our friends who accompany us are of Greek-American origins..Nerai was the best Greek Restaurant we have experienced during our many trips to New York City..Pricey," But You Get What You Pay For"..Great Service, Nice Atmosphere, & Fabulous Food..Special Features: