55 East 54th Street
New York, NY 10022Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $50 and over
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nerainyc.com/
- Phone: 2127595554x
- Hours of Operation:
We are happy to be of service-6 Days a Week
Lunch: Monday-Friday 11:45am-10pm
Dinner: Saturday 5pm-10pm
We are closed on Sunday's until September 7th
We will be opening for Breakfast soon (target 9.15.14)
Off premise catering reserved through our Private Events 212-759-0694
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Chef Chris Christou
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wine
- Catering: We have a wonderful Corporate Catering Menu. From individual "lunch boxes" for 6 to elaborate Chef's Tasting Menu for 100 people. We can tailor any order to suit your needs. Please contact email@example.com. You can also phone us at 212-759-0694.
- Entertainment: n/a
- Special Events: Please join our email list for invitations to Wine Maker's Diner's and Chef's Tasting Menu Events.
A word from NERAI
NERAI offers a contemporary twist on sophisticated Greek dining in the heart of the city. We feature a vivacious bar, elegantly appointed dining rooms and a relaxed, private event spaces. Our flavorful fresh seafood focused dishes and our layered cocktails are stripped down to their simple essence, revamped for a twist, then it is presented beautifully. Our polished service team pays attention to each individual guest, striving to make their experience outstanding. NERAI provides our guests with a peaceful escape from the hustle of NYC. Whether we are welcoming local business leaders, ladies for lunch, colleagues after-work for drinks, we satisfy every guests needs.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerGreek
NERAI reviews from OpenTable diners
100 reviews since May 4, 2014
- Ambiance4.3Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (49)romantic (38)great for lunch (37)special occasion (36)neighborhood gem (29)good for groups (24)notable wine list (11)hot spot (11)vibrant bar scene (8)great for outdoor dining (6)late-night find (4)great for brunch (3)kid-friendly (1)Show More
- Exquisite greek foodkfriedieDined on 8/25/2014I've never had fine-dining greek fare before and it was absolutely amazing. We were seated outside the front (it's really great outside, especially on a beautiful evening, but I don't think this area receives as good a service as the rest of the restaurant). The dips (spicy feta & hummus) with warm pita bread is delicious. The calamari with stuffed feta and prawn is possibly the nicest calamari dish I've ever eaten. Tuna tartare and bbq octopus both really tasty too. Mains- the duck 'baklava' was delightful and the scallops enjoyable. Dessert we couldn't go past the baklava and glad we didn't. The food was truly exceptional. Decor and ambience very cool too. Expensive but worth itSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- superb midtown lunch spotjokrisVIPDined on 8/20/2014I frequently hold client lunches at Nerai and am never disappointed. The food is consistently fresh, well -prepared and delicious. The fish is particularly good- try the Branzino. The greek salad is perfection. The restuaruant's ambience is perfect, especially upstairs where tables are well spaced and acoustics are better. The wait staff, while friendly and professional, could be more attentive and sharp, especially on busy days. Overall, this is my go -to midtown restaurant for great food at reasonable prices in a beautiful setting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great lunchcaroleDined on 8/20/2014Great shrimp pasta and gazpacho also nice Greek salad be prepared that it's only a pre fix lunch so can't order just an entree desserts also outstanding sponge cake with chocolate mousse only minus we came early they said that they were not open until 12 no problem we went to the bar. We were not there 5 minutes when several others came in and were seated right away we had to get up with our drinks and ask to be seated very strange. One other item all of the plates were really nice with numerous shapes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent foodTravelingnyDined on 8/19/2014I dined alone. I had a nice table. The food was excellent. I asked the waiter if my original choice of Greek salad and oregano fries was enough for a meal . He said it was very light so I added a side of hummus. It was way too much food for one person. There are also tables in the bar and you can order food at the bar.Special Features:
- OpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 8/13/2014We were a group of 6, all first timers. I'll start by saying everyone loved everything. We sat upstairs. The noise level is vastly different between the floors. Upstairs is quieter, which was perfect for us as we could all hear each other and you don't get the feeling that you're banished, downstairs is noisy. It's a pretty place. I recommend the calamari app, the trio of spreads, the salads for apps. Main dishes we had were scallops, halibut, duck moussaka, and short ribs-all delicious. If I had to find a fault, it's that one person's main dish was delayed. Service was attentive, just right. I'm not a big desert person but I tasted someone's baklava and could've eaten it all. We will all definitely return.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Never FailsBobbyHDined on 8/9/2014On this our 7th outing at this superb restaurant nwe finally broke dow and had the tasting menu with wine pairings. While this means we will be eating beans for a while, it was well worth the expense. Resisting the impulse to recite the whole menu, the lamb loin with peaches, dandelion greens and sheeps milk yogurt was the standout.Special Features:
- Delicious mealrhodaVIPDined on 8/8/2014My daughter and I dined here on a Thursday evening. I was a little worried at first when the service started off slow. But then the entire wait staff came to life. The Greek salad was perfect. The tuna perfect. The steak outstanding. And the fries out of this world. Our waiter could not have been any nicer. Once people find this little gem there will be no tables. I highly reccommend.Special Features:
- a real findmikesayanythingDined on 8/5/2014Greek seafood restaurant shines with the freshest of fish, a diverse menu and excellent service. Not your usual fare so be ready for an amazing culinary experience.Special Features:
- Viva la NeraiYodaDined on 8/2/2014Been here a few times and this place fails to disappoint. Food is absolutely amazing, can't say enough about how ridiculously awesome their grilled octopus is, and their tarama spread is the best i've ever had. Got recommended a great greek assyrtiko wine to go with dinner. Tried a weekend here this time and I know weekends in midtown in the middle of summer are quiet, as this place is always jammed during the week when I pass by after work.Special Features:
- Good food/disappointing wine listOpenTable Diner Since 2008VIPDined on 8/1/2014We went for a light, late dinner. Very well-prepared grilled octopus (among the best I've had) and duck confit. Service was pleasant but not as polished as you would expect at this price point. The wine list had very little for under $100 and not much more under $200, so kind of boring.
- Delicious & great atmosphereShoegal21Dined on 8/1/2014It's a really nice and cozy restaurant. The atmosphere & ambiance fits perfectly with the restaurant and mediterranean theme. The crab cakes were delicious, and the scallops is a must as an entree!!Special Features:
- Great Spot for Business LunchFareedaDined on 8/1/2014This was my second business lunch here in the last couple of weeks. It's active, but not overcrowded. The food is good, and the service is pretty quick. The prix fixe still offers plenty of options (8-10 options for appetizers, same for entrees). It's filling but not overly indulgent, so you can work afterward. The ambiance is nice, slightly more upscale than you find in this neighborhood without feeling "steakhouse"-y. Good for a date or drink as well.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Innovative, modern GreekEpicure4711VIPDined on 7/31/2014Nerai has Greek roots but the food is elevated to a truly modern, fine dining level. It's light, innovative, and yummy - highly recommended!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fabulous food and serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 7/31/2014Very attentive and fresh, fabulous food! They made my niece feel very special for her 11th birthday. They made a sign with her name and age. She adored their restaurant and said it was the best dinner she's ever had!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Faux fine diningMIMiDined on 7/26/2014as a big fan of greek cuisine i decided to cheat on my favorite greek spot and give this place a try. What a dissappointment! It's one of those places where they take a good authentic food and try to make it 'fancy". The food was overseasoned, way too salty, refried, overdressed and presentation was way off. the servers lack skills, they are too pushy and awkward, we were approached by every single server offering us "things". A little annoying. Overall...we left dissappointed and will stick with our regular place in the future
- Was generally OKLuciyiaDined on 7/22/2014I was expecting more creative dishes . My starter arrived late after reminding the waiter about it . Good quality and tasty food ,however there was nothing Med about it although there is a bunch of Greeks running the place . Wine list adequate but not offering big selection of wines poised for sea food .$270 for 2+2 imcluding a bottle of Greek wine is way on the upper side .Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fish PricingScocanVIPDined on 7/22/2014Fish dishes are delicious but the pricing is very vague. They price by weight and when the bill came - I was surprised how expensive the 2 fish dishes were.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nerai -A Seafare AdventureannabDined on 7/21/2014Dining at Nerai was truly a delightful experience. The scene is peaceful and warm. The restaurant has a nautical theme. The staff was friendly and very attentive. The food is delicious. I especially enjoyed the octopus salad. It was well prepared and the chic beans were an added surprise. The fish is fresh and well prepared. The restaurant could improve the dessert menu. Nerai offered a price fixe lunch and I thought that the selections were varied. There was definitely something for everyone on the menu. It is a restaurant that I would recommend to friends and family.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Amazing. Excellent service.AnneDined on 7/18/2014It was our first visit and we were all raving. A wide selection of delicious food and excellent service. Will definitely come again and recommend to others!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- expensive and poorsidyVIPDined on 7/16/2014Service for an expensive restaurant was poor. They tried to leave used silverware (from appetizer to entree, on table for reuse. Wait for main course was well over 45 minutes. On ly thing great was the bread.Special Features:
- Lovely spaceKMF58VIPDined on 7/15/2014Beautiful clean space, excellent service with nice pre fix selection.Special Features:
- Great Food and ServiceOpenTable Diner Since 2011Dined on 7/1/2014Nerai has it all . Great location, great food and great service . We enjoyed the entire experience.Special Features:
- MariaVIPDined on 6/30/2014We were a group of 3 and we all enjoyed our visit/food/ service very much.Special Features:
- ZathomeVIPDined on 6/30/2014good lamb burger and grilled octopus for appetizer ($10 supplement on $36 prix lunch), the cod croquettes were bland and tasteless; grilled whole dorade (+$12) was excellent - perfectly cooked (i.e., not overcooked like most American restaurants),;dessert was also good. Prix fixe is good value but almost half the dishes - especially seafood - have supplemental cost. would definitely go back
- Lovely & LikeablejillybeanDined on 6/29/2014It was a very early Sunday evening dinner. The setting is pristine and very comfortable. The Greek white wine was palatable and the lobster risotto was excellent. Nothing extraordinary about the food or desserts, but very pleasant dining experience. Tres Expensive!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- MumaVIPDined on 6/27/2014Great dining experience. We will return very soon with more time to enjoy the different dishes.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Love it!DeliciousDined on 6/20/2014I've been here a few times and have loved it each and every time. They changed the menu and removed one of my favorite starters (Calamari) but the Cod croquettes are AMAZING!!! Definitely recommend it each and every time. I've have the same waitress 2x and she is AWESOME!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- overpriced simple foodscholarwarriorDined on 6/19/2014Uncrowded, nice decor, outdoor seating option, good service. However $40 for grilled branzino seems excessive. If you go, have the $28 grilled octopus appetizer instead of the $60 grilled jumbo prawns. Definitely don't have both even if the waiter recommends -- too much charred flavor. The Brussels sprouts were too sweet -- need a touch of lemon.
- Exceptional Greek DinningOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 6/14/2014We have enjoyed many dinners at NYC Greek Restaurants as our friends who accompany us are of Greek-American origins..Nerai was the best Greek Restaurant we have experienced during our many trips to New York City..Pricey," But You Get What You Pay For"..Great Service, Nice Atmosphere, & Fabulous Food..Special Features:
- Amazing GreekADeBourcyVIPDined on 6/13/2014This place is amazing. Love the small plates, amazing seafood, and the Greek bread is so fresh!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fantastic!worksinhoodVIPDined on 6/11/2014What a find. From the atmosphere to the food. Pricey, but worth every single penny.Special Features:
- Greek Food at it's Finest!!Mazel82Dined on 6/4/2014Nerai always provides an overall astounding dining experience. The cuisine is always fresh, and consistent in taste and presentation.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Too Loud and tables too closeRonpVIPDined on 6/3/2014The food and service were great. The noise level was too loud and the tables too close to allow conversation with my business guest. Maybe okay for a meal with a close friend but not a client.
- Didn't t know how nice it was!jacquet03Dined on 5/30/2014My manager and I wanted to have a nice lunch and since she will be in Greece in 5 weeks, I thought this would be really nice. She thoroughly enjoyed the choice I made for lunch.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, beautiful restaurantfoodieVIPDined on 5/21/2014I've been for lunch and now have had a chance to dine here for dinner. Everything we had was excellent. The food was cooked properly and the presentations were lovely.Special Features:
- EpicurianDined on 5/21/2014Nerai is very far from a 'tossing plates' Greek Taverna. It offers a creative and sophisticated take on modern Greek food served by a charming staff in a gorgeous environment. I've eaten there 3 times now and never had a dish I'd not want again... and again... and again.Special Features:
- AmazingDrFoodieDined on 5/15/2014So I have eaten at most of New York and Chicago's best restaurants. And Nerai was a new experience/. I went in at first waiting to experience a simple high end Greek restaurant with a boat loaded with fresh fish to chose from, but was pleasantly surprised. It seems the chef has successfully deconstructed traditional Greek recipes into complex and delicious apps and entrees. Duck moussaka for example. Their octopus is the best in the city, by far. Also gotta try the lobster orzo dish. Wow!! The place is not that cheap, but what good quality New York City restaurant is? But not every good quality New York City restaurant is this good. I will be back for sure, and not for a special occasion. Just because I am craving that lobster dishSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great find!OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 5/14/2014I discovered Nerai walking home from work one night. The bar is very sleek, and the dining room decorated in crisp white, which provides an open and airy vibe. Simplistic but beautiful. The staff, from the hostess to the waiter and managers were very helpful and attentive. Our waiter pick a great wine, and also recommended items off the menu. We started with the spinach pies which were delicious, followed by the grilled octopus, which was amazing, served over a bed of chicpeas. Dinner was the Short Rib Youvetsi, which is served over a bed of orzo, which was cooked perfectly. Dessert was the Kataifi, which was also delicious. I plan on visiting this restaurant again and would highly recommend to others!! Next time, lamb chops!!!Special Features:
- The following 128 reviews are from the NERAI reviews archive.
- Lovely Place and EveningMarkDined on 5/4/2014The atmosphere at Nerai is very lovely and the service is authentically gracious. Would definitely recommend a visit, even though the food preparation is just a tad uneven. While our octopus starter was very good, the tiger shrimp were overcooked. The Dorado was excellent, but selections on the wine list were questionable (don't order the Reisling!). But any quibbles are generously handled by the staff with charm.I would recommend this to a friend.
- Elegant and ExcellentGolem212VIPDined on 5/3/2014A recent visit to Nerai turned a rainy Saturday evening into a culinary delight. The sleek and modern interior has a nautical motif. Seafood is excellent, although meat and pasta are also on the menu for those who prefer it. Service is welcoming, accomplished and professional. We dined on a superb octopus dish and an impossibly light halibut with artichokes. As for dessert, the lavender mousse is not to be missed. The wine list features selections from around the world, but the Greek wines are especially appropriate for the cuisine. We will return to Nerai, and encourage all to give it a trey.Special Features: