NEPTUNE's Waterfront Grill & Bar
San Francisco, CA 94119Neighborhood:
CalifornianPrice: $31 to $50
NEPTUNE's Waterfront Grill & Bar
- Dining Style: Casual Dining
- Website: http://www.neptuneswaterfrontgrillandbar.com/
- Phone: 4154342260x
- Hours of Operation:
Open daily 11am-10pm. Off season closing time may vary; please call 415.434.2260 to confirm. Thank you!
- Payment Options: AMEX,Carte Blanche,Diners Club,Discover,JCB,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Seafood, American, Californian
- Dress Code: Casual Dress
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Cafe, Full Bar, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Personal wines welcome, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, View, Wheelchair Access, Wine
- Cross Street: The Embarcadero
- Public Transit: Cable Car: Powell-Mason Line connects downtown via North Beach, Columbus Avenue & Fisherman’s Wharf District
Powell-Hyde Line connects downtown SF via Hyde Street (Crookedest Street in the World); terminus at Beach Street
Trolley: F Market & Wharves; PIER 39 station
Cab: Taxi line drop/pick up at entrance to PIER
- Parking: Private Lot
- Parking Details: PIER 39 Public Parking multi-level garage located across the street from PIER 39. 1 hour validation with lunch; 2 hour validation with dinner.
A word from NEPTUNE's Waterfront Grill & Bar
Featuring authentic, classically prepared San Francisco cuisine with contemporary flair. The perfect place for an intimate dinner for two, an evening out with a group of family and friends, or business entertaining. With wall-to-wall windows and breathtaking panoramic views of the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, the Marin Headlands, Sausalito and historic Alcatraz as your backdrop, Neptune’s Waterfront Grill & Bar delivers both great food and the best bay views! We're located upstairs at the scenic end of Pier 39! Come for the view; stay for the great food!Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Awards voted by OpenTable diners
- Diners' Choice WinnerScenic View
NEPTUNE's Waterfront Grill & Bar - Best Restaurants in Fisherman's Wharf ›
NEPTUNE's Waterfront Grill & Bar reviews from OpenTable diners
44 reviews since June 22, 2014
- Ambiance4.2Noise LevelModerate
scenic view (40)special occasion (20)romantic (19)good for groups (11)great for lunch (8)fit for foodies (8)kid-friendly (7)great for brunch (6)notable wine list (6)neighborhood gem (4)late-night find (4)vibrant bar scene (2)hot spot (1)Show More
- Neptune's for the viewkenwoodreissboyDined on 10/4/2014To be expected when dinning at Pier 39 this establishment turns and burns dishes that are safe and mediocre for the price. We paid the price mainly for front row seats for fireworks. My 7 year old's always love a good activity menu to keep them occupied, which was provided, although a grilled cheese sandwich should never be $14 from the "kids menu." As stated, we knew what we were getting into, so fair game. Go for the view and stay for a couple of beers.Special Features:
- BAD SERVER !!! Good foodOpenTable Diner Since 2012VIPDined on 9/27/2014Our server was Charlie and he was terrible !!!! He was only talking to us with monosyllables, he threw at us the dessert menu without even talking Food was good, views are spectacularSpecial Features:
- Great ViewOpenTable Diner Since 2006Dined on 8/29/2014Great view that goes with a great meal. Watched the sun set over a great meal.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Decent on pier 39ChristopheDVIPDined on 8/28/2014Probably best fish restaurant on pier 39, definitely try the swordfish, delicious!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Was a little disappointedPopeVIPDined on 8/23/2014The view was nice, but honestly the food was really just OK. I ordered lobster bisque in a bread bowl (heard how great the sourdough was in SF) and while the soup was fine, the bread was kinda stale and not good at all.Special Features:
- Great experiencetransit1Dined on 8/14/2014What a recommendation from a bartender in the Venetian Las Vegas,what can you say about Charles our fabulous and very attentive waiter. Great food,surroundings great with a lovely view to Alcatraz.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Average dinner. Nice views.OpenTable Diner Since 2011VIPDined on 8/12/2014I recall the experience years ago being much better. Our service was just fine. Quite accommodating. We only ordered a few things. The coconut shrimp was just right. The rice and cooked baby carrots however were disappointing. Had to send back the carrots. They were lukewarm and too challenging to cut much less stick a fork into. The second batch was cooked correctly however they were so bland. Same thing for the rice, warm...not hot and bland. We would not return. The food needs to be as nice as the views.Special Features:
- delightful lunchSetsuoDined on 8/12/2014We were a group of four. We had glass wines, half sea food tower, and sandwiches. It was a delightful lunch.Special Features:
- Tasty Food, Great ViewsFoodLoverVIPDined on 8/11/2014This is a very good place to take someone visiting from out of town because you have great views of the Golden Gate Bridge, Alcatraz and you can watch the Sea Lions while you are dinning. For the most part, the food is not exciting, but it was very tasty and we enjoyed our meal, especially the sesame crusted ahi tuna, which was quite delicious. I would definitely order that again and the lobster bisque was very flavorful and actually had nice chunks of lobster in it! So often with lobster bisque, you get only the flavor and not the lobster. I'd dine here again. It's not just a place for tourists, although you have to wade through a whole bunch of them to get to Neptune's, which is all the way at the back of Pier 39. Wear walking shoes.Special Features:
- Brother's 32nd Wedding AnniversaryAnniversaryLunchDined on 8/9/2014We had a large party (7 adults, one toddler and one infant) to celebrate my brother's and his wife's 32nd Wedding Anniversary. Our reservation was set for 12:45PM, but we arrived a lot earlier for a Noon sitting. I asked if it was possible to take us earlier and they did! The hostess was so kind and we just had to wait about 10 minutes. Our waiter, Jack, was absolutely great!! He did his utmost to make sure we were happy with everything, including the children that were with us. On top of that, the food was fabulous and well worth what we paid for it. If I had to compare to my past experiences, I would say they have surpassed themselves. Great job!!!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Vegan and GF optionsdoverman53Dined on 8/4/2014We called the restaurant before we arrived to verify gluten free and vegan options. They were ready for us with a GF menu. We had the carrots, potatoes, and spinach without any animal products (like butter). It was an attractive and delicious plate. The rest of the family had the usual seafood fare that they enjoyed. Make no mistake, this is a tourist restaurant. But hey, we were tourists.Special Features:
- Quality in many aspectsBerryDined on 8/1/2014We had dinner here with 5 people and we were seated in a rounded booth. The menu is good and the wine we were looking for (Rombauer Chardonnay 2012) was available too. The waiter was good at his job, friendly and without being too distant in his behavior. We liked the place a lot, better than most family places and not to formal either.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great viewOpenTable Diner Since 2012Dined on 7/31/2014The view was nice and the food was good. Restaurant was a little dirty and worn.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Daylight Dining OnlyDineTownVIPDined on 7/26/2014Dining here at night is pointless. Food was decent. Service was TOO SLOW. Our waiter showed up more than 10 minutes after we were seated. We started to think about leaving when someone finally showed up and said he'll be there in a couple of minutes. Mind you, this was Saturday night which is supposed to be very busy. The manager and other waiters seemed too busy with next day's shift schedule than with us being served our food. The only positive thing in this restaurant is the water view. We went there when it was dark (which is my fault). Having said that, I would only go there during the day and only for the view NOT for the food or service. However, if I could find another place with a similar view, I will probably go there instead.
- Best View, NOT vegetarian friendlysrmbDined on 7/24/2014The view was spectacular! But this is not a good place for foodies or vegetarians. When I asked for vegetarian options other than salad, the server suggested some vegetables with rice. I went for it, but it was a pile of stringy, tough asparagus with whole carrots. No seasoning. It was awful, even after I asked for some seasoning to help (they brought me some cajun rub). To his credit, the server did not charge us for this. My meat-loving family enjoyed their meal and we loved the view.Special Features:
- OK, But OverpricedFKK1Dined on 7/6/2014Neptune is in on Pier 39 with a great view of San Francisco Bay. That is its best feature. We were seated in a side room which became rather uncomfortable because the sun was beating through the windows. The food was fairly good, but quite overpriced. For example, my entree was clam chowder in a bread bowl that came from Boudin's, which operates bakery/restaurants in the Bay Area. The price Neptune charged was over $16, whereas I have paid less than half of that when I ordered the same thing at Boudin's. I guess this premium is what one expects to pay at Pier 39, but these prices make the place a tourist trap.
- Nice 4th of July!FiorinaDined on 7/4/2014It was the restaurant to be at for the 4th of July. Glad I mad my reservation through Open Table.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- You're paying for the viewFoodDudeDined on 7/3/2014Great view, very average food, high price, decent service. w Won't go back.Special Features:
- Wonderful LunchClarrichDined on 6/30/2014We ate lunch at Neptune's on June 30th and it was a wonderful treat. The food was excellent but what really stood out was the service. The staff were very gracious and helpful. Fantastic view as well.Special Features:
- Great view, ok foodCharlotteDined on 6/26/2014First night in SF and we wanted to see the bay and have simple fantastic seafood. We got the view! The sea lions had left the prior week so the noise was low. Only a few simple fish dishes. I liked the sesame crusted tuna and my husband's seafood stew was ok. Too much butter to mask flavored.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, service could be betterDementorDined on 6/24/2014Waiters should be more attentive. The restaurant wasn't that full at 7:30pm, so I think they could have been more attentive.Dobby tSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nice restaurant with excellent viewOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 6/21/2014Neptune's is a nice restaurant with an excellent view. The price of food is reasonable for the food quality, and the service is comparable. My fiance and I were slightly disappointed that the restaurant made no acknowledgement of our special occasion despite the previous arrangements. Overall, still a very nice experience.Special Features:
- Excellent but priceyOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 6/21/2014Great restaurant. Took 11 people. No wait, food was fantastic! A bit pricey but so is San Fran. Service was better than expected given large crowd and very goodSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- The following 168 reviews are from the NEPTUNE's Waterfront Grill & Bar reviews archive.
- Wonderful place to dine!DarbyDined on 6/19/2014This restaurant has the best view on the pier and fabulous ambiance. The food was exceptional and the service was excellent. Highly recommend!Special Features:
- great lunchtravelbound10528Dined on 6/13/2014had the both the Tuna and Salmon sandwiches for lunch and both were great and reasonably priced for the WharfSpecial Features:
- excellent food but bill soured us.VeshDined on 6/13/2014We had two of the tastiest seafood plates imaginable and the wait staff was reasonably responsive given the crowded conditions. I questioned a 5% surcharge on the final bill and was told that it was a tax that every restaurant in SF imposes on diners. We had been in SF for a few days already and no other restaurant imposed such an vaguely termed surcharge. I asked if it was a foreign tourist surcharge, which I have seen in high tourism areas, to make up for non American tourists lack of understanding of US tipping practices. They insisted that it was a city-wide tax imposed by all restuarants. When we returned to our hotel, I checked all of my other dining receipts and no other SF restasurant imposed this alleged 5% dning tax.Special Features:
- DisappointedOpenTable Diner Since 2010VIPDined on 6/4/2014Came into San Francisco for one night to do a dinner on the pier. Ordered two apps, both were below expectations. Mussels were undercooked and the lobster Mac n cheese was not impressive. Didn't stay for an entree.Special Features:
- Very Dissapointedjg24fanDined on 6/1/2014The food was fine. The wait staff was fine. The Host was a snob. We were made to feel like we didn't belong there and were seated at the back of an empty restaurant when there were plenty more tables available with a great view.Special Features:
- Great Anniversary DinnerHappyDinerDined on 5/31/2014We ate here for our anniversary dinner and it was wonderful! We had a great seat by the window right by the sea lions and a beautiful view of the bay and Forbes Island. The food was also spectacular! I had the seared ahi and my boyfriend had the combo plate (half a lobster and half a crab) both were delicious. Although the servers were always busy and running around (which I don't hold against them) we had pretty decent service and got whatever we needed. The hostesses were very cheery and friendly when they greet and seat you, and we actually got acceptional service from one gentleman named Will that cleared our table. He was so polite and provided great customer service! He would make a great server he has excellent people skills.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GREAT VIEWDarMRDined on 5/31/2014We made Neptune's our first stop on our way to Sanoma. I t was very nice and we enjoyed the food. Big tourist spot.Special Features:
- Not the same.CarlottaZDined on 5/30/2014Neptunes was my go to place. Good food. Killer view. But last 2 times have been very disappointing. Food average. Waitstaff disinterested. Dusty feel. New owners now involved. Will be awhile before I try it again.
- greatnessInLoveDined on 5/30/2014Absolutely enjoyed our first time experience there. Food was great,staff was wonderful and the scenery was to die forSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lackluster ServiceouttodinnerDined on 5/17/2014Service was lacking quite a bit, sat with an empty drink for over an hour, had to practically beg for butter. Menu did not have surf and turf option. With all of the culinary choices in San Fran for a nice romantic dinner, I don't see myself going back to NeptunesSpecial Features:
- Perfect for our 5 year anniversaryHappyDinerDined on 5/16/2014Great views and food. Wall to wall windows to enjoy the outstanding views of the bay. Alcatraz, Golden Gate Bridge and the harbor......the waiter talked me into trying the blackened swordfish, fantastic!! Great choice to celebrate our 5 year anniversary. I would absolutely go back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- WaterfrontOpenTable Diner Since 2010Dined on 4/20/2014Problem-the Waterfront didn't have our reservation- even with the confirmation numberSpecial Features:
- Fab dinner with a view!CindyLouAkronOHDined on 4/12/2014The food was delicious. Service was attentive and polite. The atmosphere was phenomenal with a beautiful view of the San Francisco Bay!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great View - Great FoodLocalTouristVIPDined on 4/8/2014I'm a local girl but I love to play tourist now and then. Whenever I go to Pier 39 Neptune's is where I like to have lunch. I've been going for years and it remains consistent. The views are spectacular, the service is wonderful, and the food is even better. I like that they treat you like a neighborhood restaurant, rather than a tourist spot, even though most people are tourists. I always get the seafood tower - shrimp, avocado, tomato, salad and it's beautiful and so tasty. My husband always gets the lobster chowder and another dish - this time the fish and chips. He said it was about the best fish and chips he's ever had. I hope Neptune's never closes!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food, great viewathiedeDined on 4/7/2014We only had sandwiches; my husband a burger and me a loaded grilled chicken sandwich. Both were very tasty. Instead of fries, our waitress gladly replaced with sautéed, wonderful asparagus. She was very attentive and helpful. Our iced tea was refilled often. The only negative thing would be where the hostess sat us, in the 'garden room' that had lots of glass on the ceiling that caused our table area to get hotter and hotter as the sun moved. Our view was good but partially blocked. I mentioned this to the hostess afterward and she said she would have moved us. She did also offer some other good information about San Francisco which we appreciated.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- he put a ring on itmamaDAbossDined on 4/5/2014Omg this place is wonderful me and my now fiance traveled from pittsburg ca, had reservations to eat for lunch!, the food was great tasty and hot! Service great scenery great at the end of our meal he purposed with a ring! Thanks neptunes we love it hereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Good food, ok ambienceSvetaVIPDined on 3/29/2014There was a wedding going on and we ended up in the pub area. So I could not judge the place truly.Special Features: