96 South First Street
San Jose, CA 95113Neighborhood:
GreekPrice: $30 and under
- Dining Style: Casual Elegant
- Website: http://nemeagreektaverna.com/
- Phone: 4082794225
- Hours of Operation:
Lunch: M-F 11:00am-2:30pm
Dinner: Su 4:00-10:00pm; M-W 5:00pm-10:00pm; Th-Sa 5:00pm-11:00pm
- Payment Options: AMEX,MasterCard,Visa
- Cuisine: Mediterranean, Greek
- Executive Chef: Luis Moreno
- Dress Code: Business Casual
- Accepts Walk-Ins: Yes
- Additional Details: Banquet/Private Rooms, Bar Dining, Bar/Lounge, Beer, Chef's Table, Farm to Table, Full Bar, Gluten-free Menu, Happy Hour, Non-Smoking Restaurant, Patio/Outdoor Dining, Personal wines welcome (corkage fee applies), Private Room, Takeout, Wheelchair Access, Wine, Wine Bar
- Entertainment: Fridays and Saturday there will be live Greek music.
A word from Nemea
Hercules defeated the Nemean lion and then probably enjoyed an excellent glass (or amphora) of Nemean wine. Nemea is a noted wine & food capitol of Pelopennese in southern Greece. Our food is influenced primarily by the flavors of the Pelopennese with accents from all of Greece. We boast an amazing wine list with many great wines from Greece, the Mediterranean and around the world. Come in and let our mixologists make you a craft cocktail or enjoy a well made classic martini as you enjoy the best Greek food in San Jose! We look forward to serving you.Continued
Foodspotting photosSee all photos
Nemea reviews from OpenTable diners
148 reviews since April 23, 2014
- Ambiance4.1Noise LevelModerate
fit for foodies (79)special occasion (76)good for groups (63)neighborhood gem (45)notable wine list (31)romantic (28)great for lunch (23)vibrant bar scene (23)hot spot (18)great for outdoor dining (6)kid-friendly (4)scenic view (3)late-night find (2)great for brunch (2)Show More
- Good but not greatOpenTable Diner Since 2013Dined on 8/17/2014Food: comforting and and tasty Atmosphere: cozy Service: amateur Price:$36 is too much for lamb chops. Parking: Safeway garage validation did not work. Ended up paying $6 to park.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Lovely!OpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/16/2014Everything was wonderful. We came to celebrate a birthday and the food, service, wine, and decor exceeded our expectations. We had heard it was good but it was even better. I recommend the lamb chops and dessert. We'll be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nemea is Superb!JackDined on 8/15/2014We so thoroughly enjoyed our dining experience at Nemea Greek Taverna. Food, service, atmosphere was excellent. We look forward to returning SOON!Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Best findFoodie4lifeDined on 8/12/2014Great food, superb service and comfortable atmosphereSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great food but a bit noisyOpenTable Diner Since 2014Dined on 8/9/2014Enjoyed the wonderful food and service was attentive. Really noisy however. Don't go there for intimate conversations.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- otgalVIPDined on 8/9/2014one dish was good, the other awful. decor & menu is old and tired. server was very nice.
- ExceptionalVivianDined on 8/9/2014We have been to this restaurant 3 times and at each visit the food and service was consistently exceptional and most enjoyable.Special Features:
- Very Good Return VisitVIP1000dinesVIPDined on 8/8/2014My family and I enjoyed our return visit to Nemea last week. We tried 3 bottles of white wine, all good but we loved the one from Santorini. The octopus, lamb meatballs, cheese and shrimp appetizers were delicious as well as the salads, chicken, lamb shank, branzino and salmon. Our only disappointment was that we were seated at a make-shift table with metal chairs set for 10 and our reservation was for 8. We had made our reservation 2 days previous; so they knew we were arriving around 6pm. Upon arrival, there were plenty of empty tables that could have been moved together for a more intimate experience with the regular dining room chairs.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Waste of timeStavenatorDined on 8/6/2014Food was okay - nothing special - we had two of their signature dishes and ended up having leftovers which we threw out. Once the server found that my table wasn't ordering drinks, they pretty much forgot about us. Someone else came to help pack up leftovers - but we still had to wait over 10 minutes (sitting at an empty table) to get our bill... even then, they just tossed a dessert menu onto the table. I wouldn't return nor would I recommend this restaurant.
- Disappointed overallBNPPDined on 8/6/2014I had read the other reviews about the food at Nemea and was disappointed. My husband and I love Greek food and were excited to see a new restaurant offering Greek food in San Jose. However, the menu was very limiting and the food was bland.
- excellent, gorgeous venuePatsyclareDined on 8/6/2014Best Greek food in a long time. Wish I lived closer, would go often. The lamb was perfect, what can I say, it is a Greek restaurant.The restaurant is extremely beautifulSpecial Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- GreatArMoDined on 8/1/2014Will come back to this restaurant again! Food was excellent, service was good, and location was nice.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- TudyVIPDined on 7/31/2014Wonderful restaurant. The food was excellent except the meat ordered by one member of our party was overcooked twice. Great service. Wonderful ambiance and open feel. Highly recommend.
- Good Overall but was disappointedTravelgirlVIPDined on 7/31/2014I read all the reviews and had high expectations. They had no hummus (they said it was Mediterranean not Greek but I've been to Greece and had great hummus). The waiter said the chef focused on food from Greece. When I asked where the chef was from in Greece, the waiter told us he was from Mexico! A lot of the food was pre-made - when I asked for changes (I cannot eat bell peppers which are on many of their dishes) and I was told they could not accommodate because the dishes were pre-made. The food was ok, but not great. The restaurant was lovely and great at the start of the meal (at 6pm) but by 7pm we could no longer hear each other talk. Not a great place for a date or conversation. The waiter was ok, but not very accommodating.Special Features:
- Always GreatJohnVIPDined on 7/25/2014Nemea is my favorite downtown spot with consistent great food and excellent service. Whether we go for a quiet dinner or with friends we are always more than satisfied with this gem.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Nemea luke warmFluffyDined on 7/24/2014Waiter was great. His voice was heard through pretty high level of background noise. Friendly. Descriptive. Tended us nicely. Our best dish was salmon with lentils. Fries were warm, not hot. Food pretty salty. Riblets mostly fatty. Hard to find recommended underground parking entrance.
- SO GOODfoodieDined on 7/17/2014The food was so good, dessert was AMAZING, and service was outstanding.Special Features:
- NicetogetoutNicetogetoutDined on 7/17/20142nd visit to Nemea Restaurant. The lemon egg soup was very good but my pork chop (with bacon) was dry and over-cooked. The flatbread was very good. I was going to order the rib-eye steak but considering how the pork chop was cooked, I am glad I did not. To have a $46.00 rib-eye steak not cooked properly would have been a shame.Special Features:
- Amazing staffRobynVIPDined on 7/16/2014This is a super cool venue downtown San Jose. The food is authentic and really, really good. (Worth the calories!) And the staff here is incredible. It's not often a hostess stands out, but Nemea's was amazing- Kayley was very sweet and accommodating. Our server, Tomas, was wonderful, too. He was patient with the 10 million vegetarian questions I had and made some excellent suggestions.
- Great food nice locationMrtokenDined on 7/16/2014If you are looking for a great dinner spot in Down Town San Jose, this is the place. Great food nice location. There is outside dinning but limited setting. The noise level does get high so talking will be a challenge. Good wine selection and a GREAT menu.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good eatinglove2eatoutDined on 7/12/2014The food was great! We had lamb ribs and grilled octopus for appetizers and both were amazing! The octopus was delicious and tender! The main courses were also great! Everyone was licking their fingers. The only negative comment I can make is that our waiter was not very attentive... Our whole group said they'd love to go back to Namea..Special Features:
- Great Greek In San JoseSmithFamilyVIPDined on 7/11/2014Having to travel to Los Gatos or Palo Alto for some of the best Greek food in the past has often limited our travels, but Nemea fills the void in San Jose. Great atmosphere and our Server (Amelia) was excellent. Only concern was the meal was accompanying servers were too regimented. One basket of bread (had to ask three times for more) and similar experience for other requests from them. While out main waitress was awesome, she was hindered by her support team. As for the food, excellent from the small plates (we tried many of them) to the entrees. The finale with baklava and various other treats was a great way to wrap it up. Great time and can only improve over time.Special Features:
- Dinning experiencefoodieDined on 7/9/2014Good food & great service. Wish there were more vegetarian EntreesSpecial Features:
- nice set upcowgirlconnieDined on 7/6/2014Our party of 6 was seated in a quiet, semi-private area which was lovely. The appetizers and drinks were tasty and fun and everyone loved their entre.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Special Place / Special OccasionsDiningBear38Dined on 7/6/2014I have been to Nemea a few times. Every time I have tried something new and it keeps getting better. The staff is amazing. i would say the best in the Bay Area. Nemea is a place I could dine all the time but prefer to save it for special occasions and special friends.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Wonderful ServiceFoodie4EverDined on 7/5/2014I came to Nemea for dinner with my husband and my brother-in-law (who happens to be diabetic). Our waiter, John, was incredibly accommodating in finding a dish that would work for my brother-in-law without skimping on flavor. The brussel sprouts starter was fantastic and packed with flavor. The sea bass is so well cooked and seasoned, that I nearly ordered one to go.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great Greek/med food in sanjoseger3sfDined on 7/2/2014Very good service. Downtown San Jose location with 15 min walk to sap arena.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Great foodSuesueDined on 7/1/2014Always very tasty and delicious items on the menu. The service is slow at times, but the wait is worth it.Special Features:
- OutForANightDined on 6/28/2014The food was fantastic. I love Greek and for a fancier Greek meal I have always gone to Dio Deka in Los Gatos. Nemea Greek Tavern is of the same caliber in terms of food. The service at Nemea is good, but Dio Deka might be just a little stronger in that area. But then again you pay a bit more for that service at Dio Deka. I will definitely go back to Nemea.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Fine food, pricey, too loudmarilanoDined on 6/27/2014The entrees were very good but the prices were quite high (e.g., many entrees over $30). The portions were quite large, but I would have preferred smaller portions for less money (or perhaps half-order options?). The saganaki appetizer we shared was very good, as was the Nemea dessert sampler. I had the "Mediterranean bass" (branzino) and was glad our very good waiter offered to have the kitchen cut off the head and tail before the whole fish was served. The fish was moist and tender with nice spicing. The potato wedges with it were good but the spinach was a bit odd. My friends enjoyed their meals (porkchops, moussaka). We all took home leftovers. But the live Greek music was so loud that it was almost impossible to talk or relax.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Excellent Food and Great ServiceLindaBDined on 6/27/2014This was my 6th time to dine at Nemea. Each time the food has been delicious and the service has been excellent. The ambiance is great enhanced by the trio that plays and sings during dinner. I have made it a place to take my out of town guests to give them a great impression of San Jose.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- great everythinglovegdfoodDined on 6/24/2014The food was outstanding with each and every course a different taste treat, Service right on. Décor warm and inviting.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- delicious!TheBeerHunterDined on 6/23/2014The food is really the star here. Probably downtown's nicest restaurant!Special Features:
- NemeaSpinningPlatesDined on 6/21/2014I thought this was such find! Absolutely great food and some of the best service I've had in downtown San Jose. I wish I could remember the server's name. When my mom comes to visit I am definitely taking her here.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- good experiencegorgeVIPDined on 6/21/2014I read reviews about bad service and mediocre food but that certainly was not our experience. The service was excellent. Food was interesting and there was plenty of it when we ordered off the appetizer menu. We also enjoyed the recommended octopus salad. I didn't think it was any more expensive than most of the others down town. We will go back again.Special Features:
- Will not returnsdj1Dined on 6/21/2014After our waiter took our order, we hardly saw him again. One component of my dinner was totally missing and I had to flag down someone other than our waiter to complain. I ordered ice tea from the waiter which never came and I had to order it again from someone else. The overall experience was not worth the inflated price.
- Excellent foodOpenTable Diner Since 2005Dined on 6/18/2014Service was very good and the food was exceptional. We ordered the Octopodi salad, meatball appetizer and lamb sandwhich. Everything came out very promptly shortly after ordering. The octopus salad was very good - grilled well and done just right. Not chewy at all with great flavor. I didn't eat much of the lamb sandwhich but it wasn't bad. The best dish was the meatball appetizer. Exceptionally well cooked with the perfect crispy char on the outside and tender while moist in the inside. Flavor was superb and I wish they had it as a main dish. Would definitely come back for dinner as the other menu items sound good as well. So nice to see some good upscale restaurants come to Downtown that has excellent food.Special Features:
- DisappointedAaronDined on 6/7/2014Have been to Nemea before and enjoyed ourselves. Thought this would be a great idea to invite four friends. First, there was an overly complicated issue with our table. They wanted to sit our party of six at at table big enough for 12-15, instead of pushing two smaller tables together, which they ultimately did. Next, our server was just bad. Took more than 20 minutes for the first drink order to come back. Can't tell you how long it took to order. At one point, one of us ordered some wine. After who knows how long, she asked about her "cab". Ever later, the server informs us that her cab is waiting outside. Yes, he ordered a taxi, but still no wine! I can't make this up. Poor service the entire night.
- Fantastic food, fantastic serviceOpenTable Diner Since 2008Dined on 6/7/2014My wife and I came here for our fifth anniversary. We had the best time! The food was perfect, and we ordered a lot of it! The saganaki transported me back to Greece! The service was also outstanding. Our server was extremely friendly, and helped make our dining experience a good time. We will definitely be back.Special Features:I would recommend this to a friend.
- Poor service, food OK at bestMichelDined on 6/4/2014Started with the Brussels sprouts it was nicely done and presented a new and innovative dish. I also shared the braised octopus with my friend after the server persuaded us to try. He never came to ask how it was, it was OK. Main course was the organic salmon I asked the server to make sure it is not over cooked (I told him seared will be fine) he never came to see that the fish was over cooked. Last for dessert I was told that the semolina custard is the best dessert and if I did not love it, I will not have to pay for it. After two bites I did not continue and when our waiter arrived and noticed that most of the dish was left he asked me how I liked it , I told him I did not like it - then he asked me if I wanted to take it home.